PDA

View Full Version : does it matter to you if a player succeeds due to talent or hardwork?

STATUTORY
11-08-2015, 08:16 PM
no agenda, just curious if the source of a players success affect your appreciation of them

SouBeachTalents
11-08-2015, 08:17 PM
All that matters is if they play well and get the W

FKAri
11-08-2015, 08:19 PM
WARNING:

Kobe and Lebron comparison incoming. American dream speech incoming. Role model speech incoming. How great is our gawd youtube links incoming.

STATUTORY
11-08-2015, 08:22 PM
WARNING:

Kobe and Lebron comparison incoming. American dream speech incoming. Role model speech incoming. How great is our gawd youtube links incoming.

did u miss the no agenda disclaimer breh?

SexSymbol
11-08-2015, 08:34 PM
I definitely find myself rooting for the guy that has put the hard work in more that the talented guy.
I find that the hard working guys are better players by nature, they feel the game batter, they know when to cut to the basket or away from it, when to set a screen that's not in the play currently running. These players know when to take risks, because they studied the game more.

Fire Colangelo
11-08-2015, 10:02 PM
where are you people getting the idea that lebron isn't a hard worker...?

WorldWarriors
11-08-2015, 10:09 PM
where are you people getting the idea that lebron isn't a hard worker...? Who said that?

WorldWarriors
11-08-2015, 10:14 PM
no agenda, just curious if the source of a players success affect your appreciation of them
Talent will only take you so far. To be grate and successful you have to put in work. Jordan, Magic, LEBRON, Kobe, Curry, Durant, Westbrook, Blake and Harden all put in the work to be successful. These are the players people want to see play. I would put Rose in that group a few years ago.

dhsilv
11-08-2015, 10:23 PM
Everyone wants to believe the narrative of someone got there through hard work and effort.

NOBODY makes the NBA without genetic gifts. That said a LOT of people have those gifts and don't make it. I'd rather root for the guy who struggled to make it than a guy just born to be great and is such a freak that he pretty much would have had to get into drugs or just hated the sport to not excel at it.

All that said we never talk about guys who aren't pretty freaky and on the can't miss side of the scale. Most of them also put in a LOT of work. Even guys who are not seen as great athletes, often are. Add in they likely have other impressive talents/skills. Large hands, long arms, even exceptional eye sight are all huge deals in sports and are so often over looked.

FreezingTsmoove
11-08-2015, 10:25 PM
Lebron used to be a tireless worker. Not anymore

Did he even shoot when he was filming his movie? Or before last years finals

Because his jumpshot was shit and he was supposed to be in his prime

WorldWarriors
11-08-2015, 10:37 PM
Everyone wants to believe the narrative of someone got there through hard work and effort.

NOBODY makes the NBA without genetic gifts. That said a LOT of people have those gifts and don't make it. I'd rather root for the guy who struggled to make it than a guy just born to be great and is such a freak that he pretty much would have had to get into drugs or just hated the sport to not excel at it.

All that said we never talk about guys who aren't pretty freaky and on the can't miss side of the scale. Most of them also put in a LOT of work. Even guys who are not seen as great athletes, often are. Add in they likely have other impressive talents/skills. Large hands, long arms, even exceptional eye sight are all huge deals in sports and are so often over looked. Name a player that got somewhere without hard work or effort?

AintNoSunshine
11-08-2015, 10:48 PM
And how da fk do you know a certain player don't work hard?? Or are you driving some sort of agenda to prop up your low BBIQ idol?

HenryGarfunkle
11-08-2015, 10:51 PM
i admire guys who work smart and hard ie. - steve nash

kobe is a dumb worker to me. puts in a ton of hours on something he's minimally improved on

if he worked as hard on shooting fade-away jumpers as passing or decision making he'd still be a good player today

kobe is a one-trick pony

STATUTORY
11-08-2015, 11:18 PM
lot of people bringing up Lebron and Kobe in this thread, why is that? the insecurity is telling

HenryGarfunkle
11-08-2015, 11:23 PM
lot of people bringing up Lebron and Kobe in this thread, why is that? the insecurity is telling
you bring up a thread about work ethic and expect kobe and lebron not to be brought up?

:facepalm

lebron is an example of a smart worker. he knows his body and knows how to work hard in a way that doesn't damage, which is partly why he never has serious injuries

kobes injuries are likely due to his own lack of sense and not knowing when enough is enough

Prime_Shaq
11-08-2015, 11:27 PM
Doesn't really matter, all that matters are championships