PDA

View Full Version : Defensive player of the year

juju151111
11-09-2015, 06:05 PM
Who will win. Gobert,Dramond green,whiteside,,Kawhi etc...

FireDavidKahn
11-09-2015, 06:06 PM
Gobert is so far ahead right now.

Gobert

everyone else.

SexSymbol
11-09-2015, 06:09 PM
Justice Winslow.

Gus Fring
11-09-2015, 06:10 PM
ATM Gobert, Kawhi, and Draymond are the only people that could actually win it. Gobert is probably in the lead right now.

Terahite
11-09-2015, 06:31 PM
http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/club937.com/files/2012/04/Draymond-Green.jpg

Achilleas
11-09-2015, 06:57 PM
if you watch games then the answer is draygod,if you watch boxscore then gobert will win it

gyu
11-09-2015, 07:00 PM
Any defensive highlights of Gobert?

Trollsmasher
11-09-2015, 07:01 PM
Gobert

LeBron

Kawhi

Trollsmasher
11-09-2015, 07:03 PM
Any defensive highlights of Gobert?
Gobert defends the most shots at the rim out of any player in the league and holds down attacking players to the by far lowest FG% out of TOP 40 rim protectors by the volume - just 31%

inclinerator
11-09-2015, 07:04 PM
drummond

Monta Ellis MVP
11-09-2015, 07:08 PM
As some of you may already know I am a longtime Pacers fan but I also follow the NBA as a whole. So far I would have to go with Rudy Gobert as the DPoY if we were voting today. He had a fantastic second half of the season last year and he has picked up where he has left off. Gobert is probably the number 1 rim protector in the league as of now.

Uncle Drew
11-09-2015, 07:13 PM
if you watch games then the answer is draygod,if you watch boxscore then gobert will win it
Boxscore has nothing to do with it. Gobert single handedly brought the Utah defense from shit to great.

RidonKs
11-09-2015, 07:22 PM
deandre jordan is even better this season... fk a new contract he is still working his ass off to stop penetration and hedge pick n rolls

but draymond green should win this year after just losing out last season. i bet a lot of voters feel guilty giving kawhi the nod after all the "#1 offense #1 defense" hoopla surrounding golden state last season.

Fudge
11-09-2015, 07:28 PM
Andre Drummond

Mass Debator
11-09-2015, 07:29 PM
Draymond is my early pick. His versatility has to be 2 to Curry's 1. Maybe even 1b. His impact is huuuuge.

Spurs m8
11-09-2015, 07:40 PM
All stupid responses so far tbh

FireDavidKahn
11-09-2015, 07:41 PM
deandre jordan is even better this season... fk a new contract he is still working his ass off to stop penetration and hedge pick n rolls

but draymond green should win this year after just losing out last season. i bet a lot of voters feel guilty giving kawhi the nod after all the "#1 offense #1 defense" hoopla surrounding golden state last season.
No he shouldn't:rolleyes: DPOY is a seasonal thing...

Gobert is heads and shoulders above everyone else right now. That isn't a slight to to Green or Kawhi. Gobert is just that good

Xiao Yao You
11-09-2015, 08:02 PM
Boxscore has nothing to do with it. Gobert single handedly brought the Utah defense from shit to great.

Took the whole team from one of the worst in the league to one of the best. Exum and Millsap had little to do with their D as some wanted to believe.

SwishSquared
11-09-2015, 08:22 PM
Took the whole team from one of the worst in the league to one of the best. Exum and Millsap had little to do with their D as some wanted to believe.The defense performed at a similar level with Gobert off the floor post ASB.

Ignoring others' contributions isn't giving enough credit. I think even Favors gets a little short-changed for what he did to help anchor that D.

CakeorDeath
11-09-2015, 08:56 PM
Took the whole team from one of the worst in the league to one of the best. Exum and Millsap had little to do with their D as some wanted to believe.

You are super underrating Exum. The Portland game strongly suggests that the Jazz are going to miss Exum badly at times this year. Nobody could adequately defend Lillard or McCollum, and all the bigs (including Rudy) failed to help the guards by stepping up far enough to make the mid-range uncomfortable. Either the defender went under the screen and Portland's guards got a wide open three, or we would go over the screen and get burned, and watch an open 15-20 footer get drained because the bigs stayed glued under the hoop.

Burke is simply too small to be an effective defender, and Neto, while pesky due to his effort, currently lacks the basketball IQ to consistently play good position defense.

Exum's length, lateral quickness, and excellent defensive fundamentals were a big part of the Jazz's defensive turnaround. Everyone talks about the Kanter trade as opening up minutes for Gobert, but people forget about the move of Trey to the bench that opened up Dante.

It's really a shame Exum is out for the year. The Jazz's already formidable defense would be pants-pissingly scary with better defense at the point.

CakeorDeath
11-09-2015, 08:58 PM
The defense performed at a similar level with Gobert off the floor post ASB.

Ignoring others' contributions isn't giving enough credit. I think even Favors gets a little short-changed for what he did to help anchor that D.

Agreed. Favors doesn't get half the love he deserves.

plowking
11-09-2015, 09:00 PM
Whiteside gets the same amount of blocks, defensive boards, and steals in less minutes than Gobert.

Just saying.

They are also 1 and 2 in the league in terms of team defense.

GIF REACTION
11-09-2015, 09:03 PM
Miami seem to be a very good defensive team this year

With whiteside pretty much paint camping indefinitely

Held Toronto to 70 odd points

Milbuck
11-09-2015, 09:03 PM
If we're going by this tiny sample, Winslow deserves to be mentioned...which is insane considering he's 19 years old.

juju151111
11-09-2015, 09:05 PM
Whiteside gets the same amount of blocks, defensive boards, and steals in less minutes than Gobert.

Just saying.

Gobert has a lower % at rim then Whiteside through. Its still early through.

RidonKs
11-09-2015, 09:08 PM
No he shouldn't:rolleyes: DPOY is a seasonal thing...

Gobert is heads and shoulders above everyone else right now. That isn't a slight to to Green or Kawhi. Gobert is just that good
voters never see it that way

they're always trying to make up for missed votes, just part of the process

besides which...

draymond green isn't the type to have some standout defensive season where everybody is recognizing his greatness. he doesn't play sexy defense. blocks, steals, charges... that's not his game.

he isn't going to be much better defensively this year than last. its hard to think how he could be unless he put on more weight. but he'll still be the best most versatile defender on the best most versatile defensive team.

SHAQisGOAT
11-09-2015, 09:11 PM
I won't say much RIGHT NOW...

Last year I believe I had Draymond winning it... Kawhi took it though, not REALLY a bad choice but anyways... How the **** did DeAndre made the all-defensive 1st team over Bogut though? Dude's overrated there, just look at how he was defending Curry on the p&r in their last game vs the Warriors, shit was sad to see... Mf'er was running back to the basket or something, looking clueless while Steph just kept hitting them 3's :facepalm

Xiao Yao You
11-09-2015, 09:17 PM
The defense performed at a similar level with Gobert off the floor post ASB.

Favors has been highly overrated as a defender for years. They let Millsap go because Favors was supposed to be so good at D. He's actually looked pretty good on D this year. He's not close to the defender that Rudy is though at the rim or the perimeter.

You are super underrating Exum. The Portland game strongly suggests that the Jazz are going to miss Exum badly at times this year. Nobody could adequately defend Lillard or McCollum, and all the bigs (including Rudy) failed to help the guards by stepping up far enough to make the mid-range uncomfortable. Either the defender went under the screen and Portland's guards got a wide open three, or we would go over the screen and get burned, and watch an open 15-20 footer get drained because the bigs stayed glued under the hoop.

They hit a lot of tough shots too. Millsap can do the same thing as Exum but probably even better. Both suck offensively though. Not convinced they aren't better off without the Exum of last year. Neto defends and is a better player at the other end.

Burke is simply too small to be an effective defender

and he's not very athletic

, and Neto, while pesky due to his effort, currently lacks the basketball IQ to consistently play good position defense.

I guess. Ideally he wouldn't have had to be thrown right into the starting line-up but the front office chose not to try to win again for some reason. Unfortunately for them Rudy continues to put a wrench into their tanking plans.

Exum's length, lateral quickness, and excellent defensive fundamentals were a big part of the Jazz's defensive turnaround. Everyone talks about the Kanter trade as opening up minutes for Gobert, but people forget about the move of Trey to the bench that opened up Dante.
and some forget that Millsap is the 2nd best defender at the 2

It's really a shame Exum is out for the year. The Jazz's already formidable defense would be pants-pissingly scary with better defense at the point.

Not convinced they aren't a better team without him though. Now if they'll just send Lyles to Idaho until he's ready to play at this level.

SwishSquared
11-09-2015, 09:41 PM
Favors has been highly overrated as a defender for years. They let Millsap go because Favors was supposed to be so good at D. He's actually looked pretty good on D this year. He's not close to the defender that Rudy is though at the rim or the perimeter.
Pretty sure he was #6 in allowed percentage at the rim last season. Gobert was #1. It's insane to have two rim protectors that are that good.

Teams only shot a better % at the 3 point line vs. Favors last season- everywhere else their efficiency dropped. The same was true of Gobert, too. Opponents shot a worse % vs. Favors when you account for all shots.

Here's a good article to reference on the impact both have: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2426342-derrick-favors-and-rudy-gobert-emerging-as-nbas-best-defensive-frontcourt

Also:
http://nyloncalculus.com/2015/10/27/2015-16-nba-preview-utah-jazz/
The most obvious cause is Rudy Gobert, who started the rest of the season and played exceptional defense, but Utah actually played great defense without him. According to NBAWOWY.com, Utah’s defensive rating was almost exactly the same after the all-star break with and without him. It's fine to be a big fan of Gobert, but you downplay the abilities of the other Jazz players frequently in order to heap more praise on him. It's ok to praise both Gobert for being awesome and to recognize that the Jazz have many good, if not great, defenders.

Xiao Yao You
11-09-2015, 10:28 PM
Pretty sure he was #6 in allowed percentage at the rim last season. Gobert was #1. It's insane to have two rim protectors that are that good.

Teams only shot a better % at the 3 point line vs. Favors last season- everywhere else their efficiency dropped. The same was true of Gobert, too. Opponents shot a worse % vs. Favors when you account for all shots.

Here's a good article to reference on the impact both have: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2426342-derrick-favors-and-rudy-gobert-emerging-as-nbas-best-defensive-frontcourt

Also:
http://nyloncalculus.com/2015/10/27/2015-16-nba-preview-utah-jazz/It's fine to be a big fan of Gobert, but you downplay the abilities of the other Jazz players frequently in order to heap more praise on him. It's ok to praise both Gobert for being awesome and to recognize that the Jazz have many good, if not great, defenders.

Hard to downplay a team that sucked before Rudy took over. My guess is they would suck again if he got hurt. They were literally one of the worst teams in the league which was their objective. They finished the season as the 6th best team despite their efforts to suck.

Despite what the stats may say the Jazz couldn't stop anyone with Favors at center. If he could they could put Rudy on the perimeter because he's probably their best perimeter defender as well. The game where he shut down Aldridge mostly on the perimeter was his best night last year.

Not saying others didn't help Rudy but without him they sucked and I'd guess the same would hold true now.

Queen Sansa
11-09-2015, 11:03 PM

Just saying.

Except that Whiteside commits so many mental mistakes on defense that it's not even an argument. Straight up bad positioning too. Whiteside needs more time to mature into a dominant defender. He has the potential, but he's not there yet.

SwishSquared
11-09-2015, 11:11 PM
Hard to downplay a team that sucked before Rudy took over. My guess is they would suck again if he got hurt. They were literally one of the worst teams in the league which was their objective. They finished the season as the 6th best team despite their efforts to suck.

Despite what the stats may say the Jazz couldn't stop anyone with Favors at center. If he could they could put Rudy on the perimeter because he's probably their best perimeter defender as well. The game where he shut down Aldridge mostly on the perimeter was his best night last year.

Not saying others didn't help Rudy but without him they sucked and I'd guess the same would hold true now.Of their 5-man lineups post ASB, only one that features Favors @ C had a negative net rating. The other 3 are the Favors-Gobert PF/C duo.

Their best lineup in terms of net rating during this interval featured Favors @ C and Gobert on the bench (small sample size though). Every 5-man lineup that had a positive, non-zero net rating had Favors @ PF. There are 2 lineups sans Favors & Gobert @ C that had a net rating of 0.The fact that the net rating was just about the same with Gobert on/off post ASB (see previous post) shows that he wasn't the only guy propping up a historic defensive effort.

Favors wasn't the problem last year before or post-ASB. Team chemistry improved greatly without Kanter and the team had 1 less black hole on offense. Plus, replacing all mins by the worst PnR big man in the league and giving them to Gobert, Favors, and Booker can have that effect.

I'm a huge Gobert supporter but you have to give credit to guys. Exum was a big upgrade @ PG over Burke on defense, Millsap can legit guard 1-3, and we already know what Hayward/Favors/Gobert bring to the table.

Gobert is my pick for DPoY. Draymond is #2 for me. Not sure who #3 is, but there are a few contenders.

Tycriss
11-09-2015, 11:16 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CTa1sqGUcAA51yF.jpg

bdreason
11-09-2015, 11:36 PM
DrayGod.

Xiao Yao You
11-09-2015, 11:58 PM
Of their 5-man lineups post ASB, only one that features Favors @ C had a negative net rating. The other 3 are the Favors-Gobert PF/C duo.

Their best lineup in terms of net rating during this interval featured Favors @ C and Gobert on the bench (small sample size though). Every 5-man lineup that had a positive, non-zero net rating had Favors @ PF. There are 2 lineups sans Favors & Gobert @ C that had a net rating of 0.The fact that the net rating was just about the same with Gobert on/off post ASB (see previous post) shows that he wasn't the only guy propping up a historic defensive effort.

He wasn't the only one but without him they would have sucked as they had already proven. They've kept on this year without Exum and Millsap who were supposed to be a huge part of it too.

Favors wasn't the problem last year before or post-ASB.

Offensively no. Defensively he certainly wasn't stopping the other team as the center.

Team chemistry improved greatly without Kanter and the team had 1 less black hole on offense. Plus, replacing all mins by the worst PnR big man in the league and giving them to Gobert, Favors, and Booker can have that effect.

I'm a huge Gobert supporter but you have to give credit to guys. Exum was a big upgrade @ PG over Burke on defense

Yes but Burke sucks so it's not saying much.

, Millsap can legit guard 1-3, and we already know what Hayward/Favors/Gobert bring to the table.

Gobert is my pick for DPoY. Draymond is #2 for me. Not sure who #3 is, but there are a few contenders.

SwishSquared
11-10-2015, 12:17 AM
Offensively no. Defensively he certainly wasn't stopping the other team as the centerPre-ASB the Jazz had 8 lineups with a positive net rating. 6 had Favors in them (2 had Kanter & Favors as the bigs). Their best lineup pre ASB was one that had Favors & Gobert. Their second best lineup had Favors @ C. He covered up a LOT for the worst defensive PnR big in the entire NBA. He held his own pre and post ASB as the C or when playing alongside another big who couldn't play D.

Rudy & Favors each had 1 lineup where they played C that had a negative net rating pre ASB. Rudy's was slightly worse.

Your perception is Favors didn't do much on D when that's just not reality.

You also really underestimate what Exum contributed on D as a rookie. Rookies don't play that well on D usually. And you gloss over Millsap's contributions. Look you can stan Gobert but you shouldn't put down other players on your team as much. That's literally what the LBJ, Kobe, Durant, etc. stans do on this site and make it a troll fest.

No lineup with Trey Burke in it has a positive net rating this year. Lineups with Burks or Neto are allowing them to suffocate teams on D. Testament to Hayward, Favors, and Gobert and improvements by Ingles, Hood, & Burks.

Gileraracer
11-10-2015, 06:25 AM
1. Gobert
2. Whiteside
3. Draymond Green
4. Kawhi Leonard

Uncle Drew
11-10-2015, 06:51 AM
Holy f. :oldlol:

TheImmortal
11-10-2015, 07:09 AM
The only logical answer is Andrew Wiggins

Gobert is damn good too..

Xiao Yao You
11-10-2015, 11:12 AM
Pre-ASB the Jazz had 8 lineups with a positive net rating. 6 had Favors in them (2 had Kanter & Favors as the bigs). Their best lineup pre ASB was one that had Favors & Gobert. Their second best lineup had Favors @ C. He covered up a LOT for the worst defensive PnR big in the entire NBA. He held his own pre and post ASB as the C or when playing alongside another big who couldn't play D.

Rudy & Favors each had 1 lineup where they played C that had a negative net rating pre ASB. Rudy's was slightly worse.

Your perception is Favors didn't do much on D when that's just not reality.
You can bring up all the stats you want. I watched the games. They were as bad as any team in the league before Rudy started to turn them around about mid December. No one feared going at the rim against Favors like they do now against Rudy.

You also really underestimate what Exum contributed on D as a rookie. Rookies don't play that well on D usually.

He did well but some predicted they would suck without him this year. They haven't.

And you gloss over Millsap's contributions.

No I haven't. I mentioned he was the 2nd best defender at shooting guard. He has remained on the bench where he belongs most of this year because like Exum his offense sucks. And it's where Exum will belong if he doesn't improve.

Look you can stan Gobert but you shouldn't put down other players on your team as much.

Not even Trey Burke? :rant

That's literally what the LBJ, Kobe, Durant, etc. stans do on this site and make it a troll fest.

No lineup with Trey Burke in it has a positive net rating this year.

Now that's a surprise. He sucks! I'm sure line-ups with their other Trey aren't looking so hot either.:roll:

Lineups with Burks or Neto are allowing them to suffocate teams on D. Testament to Hayward, Favors, and Gobert and improvements by Ingles, Hood, & Burks.

Wouldn't say those guys have improved that much. Burks is better but he was starting to get it just before his season ended last year. Ingles and Hood finished the year great. Neto has certainly made a difference.

SwishSquared
11-10-2015, 12:18 PM
You can bring up all the stats you want. I watched the games. They were as bad as any team in the league before Rudy started to turn them around about mid December. No one feared going at the rim against Favors like they do now against Rudy.I'm only going to quote this one part for brevity sake. It's great that you're a big Jazz fan- I think you're the only poster here who truly has supported them. That adds a great dimension to the board. I just disagree with saying "I watch games and I'm right." The numbers are provided with context, which is the proper way to evaluate things. I remember from past threads saying you're not huge into advanced numbers. That's fine. Teams that did that approach in the past built the Isiah Thomas Knicks and the Lakers this past summer. I disagree with that evaluation method, but to each his own.

I'm not trying to say Favors = Gobert on defense, but rather you're really underrating him and discounting his D when he plays either PF or C. Gobert is the best defender in the league- I've said that since the spring. However, the Jazz D is not just Gobert dragging them to lockdown-status. I'm trying to show you that although you think Gobert did everything, you guys have lots of young talent and it's still growing on both ends.

Replacing Kanter's minutes and giving them to Gobert (and remaining ones to Favors & Booker) was a huge reason the team turned around. You literally gave 90% of the minutes from the worst PnR defensive big to the best rim protector in the league. It's addition by subtraction due to having a better player replace a net-negative guy.

I don't know who said Exum's absence would sink this team's playoff hopes b/c I didn't hold that opinion. I do think he would be a positive contributor and would be a better defender at PG than Neto/Burks/Burke/etc. I'm of mindset when you have a guy with potential and can clearly positively contribute, they need mins. Teams don't practice as much during the year so they don't develop that way. Either you play them or they sit on the bench. That being said, most teams don't use the D-League properly but I think Exum would have been playing starter's mins if healthy in the NBA.

And I've never said a positive thing about Trey Burke in the NBA. I just said last season they shouldn't outright waive him due to his cheap contract. Dude barely belongs in the NBA. Feel free to pile up on him. Jazz are much better with Burks or Neto running point this year.

I guess I'm a little more positive on the improvements made by Hood/Ingles than you. Hood's a legit starter imo. Ingles is certainly a rotation SF.

WayOfWade
11-10-2015, 12:25 PM
Is this real life?

BarberSchool
11-10-2015, 12:29 PM
Gobert, Leonard, or Draymond green should win it.

Deandre Jordan getting any votes is shameful, his P&R defense is atrocious, and more and more teams will take big advantage of that at oppurtune times enough for the clippers to get a dissapointing seeding for their talent level.

Xiao Yao You
11-10-2015, 03:42 PM
I'm only going to quote this one part for brevity sake. It's great that you're a big Jazz fan- I think you're the only poster here who truly has supported them. That adds a great dimension to the board. I just disagree with saying "I watch games and I'm right." The numbers are provided with context, which is the proper way to evaluate things. I remember from past threads saying you're not huge into advanced numbers.

I'm not against them. I'm just too old to get into them much. When I was a kid I would have loved it. I can watch the games and see what guys are doing though.

That's fine. Teams that did that approach in the past built the Isiah Thomas Knicks and the Lakers this past summer. I disagree with that evaluation method, but to each his own.

I'm not trying to say Favors = Gobert on defense, but rather you're really underrating him and discounting his D when he plays either PF or C. Gobert is the best defender in the league- I've said that since the spring. However, the Jazz D is not just Gobert dragging them to lockdown-status. I'm trying to show you that although you think Gobert did everything, you guys have lots of young talent and it's still growing on both ends.

There is lots of young talent but that young talent was going for the top pick in the draft before Gobert made them a top team.

Replacing Kanter's minutes and giving them to Gobert (and remaining ones to Favors & Booker) was a huge reason the team turned around. You literally gave 90% of the minutes from the worst PnR defensive big to the best rim protector in the league. It's addition by subtraction due to having a better player replace a net-negative guy.

I don't know who said Exum's absence would sink this team's playoff hopes b/c I didn't hold that opinion. I do think he would be a positive contributor and would be a better defender at PG than Neto/Burks/Burke/etc.

If he was the same player as last year he'd belong on the bench with Millsap. They need guys playing both ends. I'm not sure he's better than Neto either. They both have different strengths and Neto is better offensively. Burks is coming on defensively too and is a big offensive threat. Trey sucks.

I'm of mindset when you have a guy with potential and can clearly positively contribute, they need mins. Teams don't practice as much during the year so they don't develop that way. Either you play them or they sit on the bench. That being said, most teams don't use the D-League properly but I think Exum would have been playing starter's mins if healthy in the NBA.

Burke, Exum, Hood and Lyles all should have been in the D-league until they proved themselves. Hood has proven himself. Exum proved himself as a defender. It's one thing when your tanking but Lyles getting minutes now is a joke! I think he'll be a player but he's obviously not ready. Withey certainly looked better in pre-season and he hasn't even been dressing. They act like they're still tanking. It's like they wish Rudy hadn't emerged.

And I've never said a positive thing about Trey Burke in the NBA. I just said last season they shouldn't outright waive him due to his cheap contract. Dude barely belongs in the NBA. Feel free to pile up on him. Jazz are much better with Burks or Neto running point this year.

Rather have a vet on the minimum for a cheaper price myself.

I guess I'm a little more positive on the improvements made by Hood/Ingles than you. Hood's a legit starter imo. Ingles is certainly a rotation SF.

Hood has been in foul trouble almost every game. He'd be better on the bench now. Burks earned the starting spot. I'd start Ingles over Neto too.