PDA

View Full Version : Does arena/venue lighting play a small factor in all elements in the NBA?

$LakerGold
11-10-2015, 05:17 AM
I'm talking about setting the mood to FA signing, every player wants to feel like they're in the big lights, hollywood-esque. Lighting has been around the game whether it be in sports, movies, photoshoots or what not.

i.e. the Lakers or NY, even though the Lakers have only been doing this for 8 years now or so, but when they're playing, there's only a limited amount of lighting in the crowd section which gives you that classic artistic feel to it in a sense. I didn't even notice that until 2009, then I start to think about it, it looks f*cking good, it feels like you're in a movie theater. Though NY is a terrible example, but former all-star players mentioned in the past that playing in MSG feels different (not because of Spike's loud mouth), the level of energy you get just being in there, the moment you step in, somewhere in those lines -- from the name of the state, to the history of the team, to the name of the arena, to the design/lighting, I feel like that has to play some sort of role in it (okay, I'm exaggerating, but it has to, right?).

When you look at these small market teams, the Sixers for example, you'd think they'd at least try to pimp it up by adding all these extra efforts in the arena lighting or what not to at least make it attractive in the eyes, yea? These vanilla bright lights looks so dry, nothing artistic about it.

This certainly does not apply to the other vanilla colored successful teams ( Spurs & Boston, but their people are f*cking crazy over in Boston, so it doesn't matter, though Green/Black was hot & the Spurs' court is f*cking beautiful, so there's that.), but if you're losing, the core design should at least be your next (extra effort) priority, yea? Nothing to stress about, wouldn't you want to increase your chances for whatever there is to increase when applying changes in designs?

This might also come from because I'm a Laker fan & I've been seeing these fruity pebble colors for a decade and a half now. Because it's so colorful & because purple & gold are a perfect combination, then you start to think that it could also help other teams to spice it up a bit by having the right designs from the jerseys to the lighting. When you're losing, the least you can do is pimp it up for the meantime (while tanking).

I don't know, this is sort of a weird topic to discuss, it could or could not be a factor, who knows? But it's definitely somewhere there down the line. Just something to throw out there.

You don't have to agree with me, I don't give a f*. But, if you have any other weird topic similar to this to discuss, just post 'em here.

From Google images, doesn't that look pretty?
http://cdn3.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/1083955/136623167.0_standard_352.0.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/2qRT2pT.jpg

Horatio33
11-10-2015, 06:16 AM
You are mentally ill

GIF REACTION
11-10-2015, 06:21 AM
Arco/Sleep train arena plays with ****ing smoke in the air half the time

Spurs m8
11-10-2015, 06:52 AM
Purple sucks...its a girls colour

I am surprised more teams don't dim the lights on the crowd though...make the court the spectacle it is tbh

But no...no one has ever signed to a team because of their lights

SpanishACB
11-10-2015, 07:04 AM
can be a minimal factor

but only because it adds to the perceived prestige of playing for a certain franchise, it gives the player a perceived status

however, stadiums adds little to this. Other players in the roster, recent trophies and winning history is much more important.

The Lakers are historically great, they have one of the best courts in one of the best cities. Sucking so much it accounts for nothing. But hey, some NBA plaers are stupid enough, some others, just aim for different things.

Rake2204
11-10-2015, 12:42 PM
I'm actually on the other side of the fence. I prefer well-lighted and vibrant arena settings. The fans are such a huge part of a team and arena's atmosphere, both in terms of the noise they bring to the table but also the greatness that comes from 22,000 people standing in unison driving the home team to victory in the fourth quarter. Some of my favorite moments in NBA history have come when the fans are their most visible (old Sonics games, for one). As I fan, even watching from home, I want to see the people and I want to see them reacting.

The Palace seems as though it darkened up a little in recent years and I was not a fan. Makes the the place feel a bit dead (I know, having a small turnout plays a role in that as well). But anyway, yeah, I like full lighting with the feeling that the people are a part of the atmosphere. Served a lot of teams well over the years.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2004/06/02/sports/02pistons20xlg.jpg

AnaheimLakers24
11-10-2015, 12:45 PM
Some arenas look sad with the lights on. Like sleeping with a mediocre looking chick woth the lights on. Its just not all there