PDA

View Full Version : One foot dunking vs two foot dunking

TripleA
11-11-2015, 03:51 PM
Which one do think is better ingame and if you can dunk which style do you use.

Cocaine80s
11-11-2015, 03:52 PM
One foot is better in game

Two foot for dunk contests

TheImmortal
11-11-2015, 03:52 PM
Fast break = one foot dunk

Half Court = two foot dunk

Putback = Porzingis

feyki
11-11-2015, 03:55 PM
One foot is easier .

theaussieguy
11-11-2015, 04:13 PM
Rose's 2 footed takeoff is the most poweful freakish jump I have ever seen

Levity
11-11-2015, 04:16 PM
two foot dunks are a lot safer, granted, the jumper knows how to do them. it's easier to center your body while in the air when going off two feet. so when dunking through traffic, you have a better chance of keeping your balance and avoiding a hard fall, if the defender decided to challenge you.

both are fun to watch though. but one foot jumps look far more graceful and are more aesthetically pleasing, in my eyes

Rake2204
11-11-2015, 04:35 PM
I think it depends upon the play style and dunking ability. At 6'3'', I switched exclusively to two-foot dunking my junior year of high school because it felt cooler being able to hang on the rim and whatnot.

Unfortunately, all my dunk opportunities went down the tube at that point because I wasn't beast enough to dunk off two feet in a half court setting and in the open floor, taking time to plant both feet either allowed the defense to chase me down or caused me to lose my footing by rushing the process.

I re-developed one-foot dunking around age 20 and subsequently began dunking everywhere. Fast breaks were suddenly a chance to just run as fast as possible then take off and dunk without having to slow down or break stride. It was great. As an added bonus, I retained the ability to dunk off two as well, but I could only bust it out in-game on rare occasions.

So I guess for the standard athletes like me (aka not genetic or athletic freaks), I think one-foot dunking may be better because it can be used most frequently. If you're a fringe two-foot dunker, that's probably not going to help you a ton during games.

That said, if it's between monstrous one-foot hops and monstrous two-foot hops, I might be tempted to go with two, because that'd allow me to hypothetically dunk over people more often in the half court setting. It can be tough to posterize off one foot in the half court. It still happens a lot, but it seems as though it'd be easier to find those opportunities as a super two-foot dunker.

TripleA
11-11-2015, 04:43 PM
Unless you can bounce like wiggins two foot dunks are really hard to do in
game unless your really tall. I'm a one foot jumper and I have pretty big hands so it really fun. I can dunk off two but only do it off alleys because when I dribble and do it slows me down.

VeeCee15
11-11-2015, 04:51 PM
most of VC's best dunks are 2 foot.
Gerald Green 2 foot.

It really depends some ppl are better 1 foot, 2 foot or equally good at jumping of either.

I can only jump well off 1 foot cannot jump too well off 2 feet. Can dunk from behind dotted line off 1 foot.

I think aesthetically, jumping off 2 feet looks a lot better

ClipperRevival
11-11-2015, 05:20 PM
Fast break = one foot dunk

Half Court = two foot dunk

Putback = Porzingis

Yup. People usually jump off one feet when they need to beat a defender to the basket. So one foot jumps allow you to cover horizontal ground. Two foot jumps are for max vertical and when you need to go over guys.

Most guys get max vert off two feet. Most guys are most explosive off a hop step and gather. Most guys jump off both feet although some really prefer one over the other, like Bron (one foot) and Nique (two feet). The guys who are incredibly comfortable doing both are dangerous. Of course the GOAT ever at doing both was MJ.

no pun intended
02-16-2016, 08:23 PM
I just realized that all of Aaron Gordon's dunks in the dunk contest were done with two feet, whereas all of Zach Lavine's were done with one.

plowking
02-16-2016, 08:30 PM
I've never understood how some people found it easier to dunk off two. One foot was far easier for me. I don't think the dunks look as nice outside of tomahawks, but it was always much more comfortable.

One foot dunking, you just have so much more momentum. I figure that is why all high jumpers jump off one foot.

KungFuJoe
02-16-2016, 09:19 PM
Two feet is easier for me. But I could dunk either way. My best poster was probably off one foot.

senelcoolidge
02-16-2016, 09:32 PM
In high school I used to dunk better off two feet, just more explosive. Not that I was some great dunker, no..but it was easier for me.

jstern
02-16-2016, 09:59 PM
You can create more with 2 foot dunking if you have the footwork. Example, Jordan.

Euroleague
02-16-2016, 10:07 PM
One foot is easier .

It depends on each person. For me, two foot dunking was easier once I learned how to do it. One foot dunks only generally work when you have the time and space to do them. But you can always go up with two hands and dunk it hard from under the basket.

Cocaine80s
02-16-2016, 10:15 PM
It depends on each person. For me, two foot dunking was easier once I learned how to do it. One foot dunks only generally work when you have the time and space to do them. But you can always go up with two hands and dunk it hard from under the basket.
Depends on how tall you are. If you're 6'5 + sure. But if you're shorter it's always easier to dunk off one leg in games

senelcoolidge
02-16-2016, 10:35 PM
Depends on how tall you are. If you're 6'5 + sure. But if you're shorter it's always easier to dunk off one leg in games

I was 6'2" and preferred two foot dunking. Everyone is different.

Euroleague
02-16-2016, 10:35 PM

I'm 6-2 and for me two feet dunks were easier in games. Because it gave me more ability to hold the ball with two hands and power up strong through the basket.

With one foot dunks it always seemed like someone could knock the ball out from behind or meet you around the rim, if they timed it right. If it is something like on open court 1 on 0 after a steal, then one foot is easy.

I think it depends on each person.

I just remember getting blocked in half court on one foot dunk attempts, but with jumping off two feet in half court it would usually be a foul or basket.

Cocaine80s
02-16-2016, 10:39 PM
I was 6'2" and preferred two foot dunking. Everyone is different.
What I mean is one foot dunkers have more chances to dunk compared to 2 footers

Unless youre very tall

Cocaine80s
02-16-2016, 10:40 PM
I'm 6-2 and for me two feet dunks were easier in games. Because it gave me more ability to hold the ball with two hands and power up strong through the basket.

With one foot dunks it always seemed like someone could knock the ball out from behind or meet you around the rim, if they timed it right. If it is something like on open court 1 on 0 after a steal, then one foot is easy.

I think it depends on each person.

I just remember getting blocked in half court on one foot dunk attempts, but with jumping off two feet in half court it would usually be a foul or basket.
Yes but take someone at 6'2 whos a one foot jumper and he'll dunk more often than you

Rake2204
02-16-2016, 10:48 PM
What I mean is one foot dunkers have more chances to dunk compared to 2 footers

Unless youre very tallThere's some guys at a guard size (6'3'' or below) who seem to be able to make two-foot dunking work for them better and more frequently than one-foot

Pushxx
02-16-2016, 11:53 PM
I was cursed as being a two foot jumper, which just isn't as good in-game. The older I got I learned to do more off one foot, but dunking that way never worked for me.

L.Kizzle
02-17-2016, 12:00 AM
I've never understood how some people found it easier to dunk off two. One foot was far easier for me. I don't think the dunks look as nice outside of tomahawks, but it was always much more comfortable.

One foot dunking, you just have so much more momentum. I figure that is why all high jumpers jump off one foot.
IF I was going up strong in the paint, it was always off of two feet.

Rake2204
02-17-2016, 02:00 AM
IF I was going up strong in the paint, it was always off of two feet.Do you mean for dunking or just finishing in general? Because I still rose off two-feet all the time when the situation called for it, I just usually couldn't dunk while doing so.

But then again, if I could get a clean line to the rim, there'd be no reason to gather with two if I didn't have to. Attacking downhill and using the momentum and horizontal force from a one-foot takeoff has been frequently beneficial when it came to finishing through folks. At times it was like trucking the catcher in baseball.

Funktion
02-17-2016, 02:16 AM
Used to jump off one foot running start in early teens, found it easier to dunk with 2 feet more explosive in late teens, early 20s.

ClipperRevival
02-17-2016, 02:58 AM
I just realized that all of Aaron Gordon's dunks in the dunk contest were done with two feet, whereas all of Zach Lavine's were done with one.

Yup. And there is a general correlation. Two foot dunkers are explosive off the floor, get good vert and jump near the basket (Vince, Nique, Richardson, Green, Gordon). One foot jumpers are more horizontal based and usually take off from farther away. These are more of the finesse guys (Drexler, Erving, Pippen, MJ, Lavine).

It was odd seeing Vince try that free throw line type dunk in 2000. You could tell he wasn't in his element. He is a vertical guy who needs to take off of two feet, near the basket. But tell him to jump from the free throw line off one foot and it doesn't look nearly as devastating.

Another reason why MJ was so great was because he was absolutely GOAT level at jumping both ways. FT line dunk with ease and the quick hop step and gather off two feet to go over guys in traffic. Some guys really prefer one way or are much better one way and that makes them less dangerous in in-game situations.

Cocaine80s
02-17-2016, 03:17 AM
Yup. And there is a general correlation. Two foot dunkers are explosive off the floor, get good vert and jump near the basket (Vince, Nique, Richardson, Green, Gordon). One foot jumpers are more horizontal based and usually take off from farther away. These are more of the finesse guys (Drexler, Erving, Pippen, MJ, Lavine).

It was odd seeing Vince try that free throw line type dunk in 2000. You could tell he wasn't in his element. He is a vertical guy who needs to take off of two feet, near the basket. But tell him to jump from the free throw line off one foot and it doesn't look nearly as devastating.

Another reason why MJ was so great was because he was absolutely GOAT level at jumping both ways. FT line dunk with ease and the quick hop step and gather off two feet to go over guys in traffic. Some guys really prefer one way or are much better one way and that makes them less dangerous in in-game situations.
Dude literally every time you talk about 1 and 2 foot jumping you post the same shit about MJ. Like could you just talk about jumping without feeling the need to mention him for once?

ClipperRevival
02-17-2016, 03:43 AM
Dude literally every time you talk about 1 and 2 foot jumping you post the same shit about MJ. Like could you just talk about jumping without feeling the need to mention him for once?

The truth must be told.

Rake2204
02-17-2016, 12:17 PM

Another reason why MJ was so great was because he was absolutely GOAT level at jumping both ways. FT line dunk with ease and the quick hop step and gather off two feet to go over guys in traffic. Some guys really prefer one way or are much better one way and that makes them less dangerous in in-game situations.I think Carter may have been a little more legit off of one-foot than he sometimes gets credit for. His 2000 dunk isn't necessarily a great point of reference for his entire one-foot ability.

According to an interview earlier this week, he didn't know he had one dunk left (thought he was already considered a winner) so he hadn't planned a final dunk. As a result, he whipped up something he knew he'd have no chance of missing, because he wanted to go through the contest with zero misses to his name. And as you well know, taking off with two-hands, especially from 14.5 feet, is always going to look a little more awkward and less flighty than a one-hander.

I will say this, he often tended to take off from a half-step inside the line as opposed to having his foot planted on it. But even then, the variations he was able to add to those dunks seems to paint the picture of someone who could have performed a true free throw line dunk with relative ease.

I personally thought most of Carter's takeoffs from near the line showcased pretty outstanding elevation and style (aside from that two-handed): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSBn_TyRGH4

As for why he most often didn't seem to take off from the actual line, your guess is as good as mine. But throwing down with the kind of authority he did (and with the backward extension we saw on the high school clip) seems to again suggest he could have easily stepped back to the line.

Either way, I believe multiple accounts of a 14'10'' takeoff (with various forms of extra flare) help illustrate how deadly Carter could be off of one-foot as well, even if he preferred two-feet. He certainly was not a Jason Richardson or Dominique Wilkins in that regard (though I know you didn't say he was).