PDA

View Full Version : D'Angelo Russell - Starting to Dispel the Draft-Bust Flak.

Naero
11-11-2015, 08:24 PM
When transitioning into the fastest-paced position in the NBA in the Point Guard, it's only natural that there are plodding growing pains and latent talent; that's been the case with D'Angelo Russell so far, and first-impression bias has been dictating that he's been a draft bust

nathanjizzle
11-11-2015, 10:25 PM
6-15 , 3 assists.

http://media.giphy.com/media/MP1kygLQzjCve/giphy-facebook_s.jpg

IGOTGAME
11-11-2015, 10:26 PM
Russell fans are becoming some of the worst in basketball.

Foster5k
11-11-2015, 10:29 PM
Didn't read.

However, for a guy, D'Angelo Russell, that's praised for his passing ability, he sure doesn't get a lot of assist.

Also, I know the OP didn't make this thread after the Lakers played the Orlando Magic. The Magic seem to make scrubs look like future GOATS.

Magic 32
11-11-2015, 10:30 PM
6-15 , 3 assists.

http://media.giphy.com/media/MP1kygLQzjCve/giphy-facebook_s.jpg

Took 2 contested shots at the end of shotclocks (thanks Byron).

so it's more like 14 points, 3 assists 6-13 FG

Not that you would care about reality.

Making fun of the lakers is much more fun.

Cocaine80s
11-11-2015, 10:30 PM
OP tries too hard

You think this is realgm or something?

bobopenguin
11-12-2015, 12:35 AM
at this stage i rather starts Lin than Dangelo.

FKAri
11-12-2015, 12:37 AM
Took 2 contested shots at the end of shotclocks (thanks Byron).

so it's more like 14 points, 3 assists 6-13 FG

Not that you would care about reality.

Making fun of the lakers is much more fun.

It really is.

I haven't labeled him a bust yet but I do think he's in a horrible environment. Kobe's antics and more importantly Byron's coaching and "system" are ruining his development.

Genaro
11-12-2015, 12:39 AM
What boxscore watchers fail to see is the number of assists he would have if his teammates make the shots when he passes. He dished a lot of good ones and the guys just missed. In order to assist you need your teammate making the shot.

AirTupac
11-12-2015, 12:43 AM
I would much much much much rather have cement feet D'Angelo than that piece of shit Lin. Lin is one of the biggest garbage bags I've seen play the point for the Lakers. WHICH IS TOUGH considering we've had Darius Morris starting for us.

Sessions > Lin
Dead Nash > Lin
Me> Lin
Steve Blake is an allstar compared to Lin
Coach DFish > Lin
Goudelock > Lin
Huertas > Lin

FKAri
11-12-2015, 12:45 AM
I would much much much much rather have cement feet D'Angelo than that piece of shit Lin. Lin is one of the biggest garbage bags I've seen play the point for the Lakers. WHICH IS TOUGH considering we've had Darius Morris starting for us.

Sessions > Lin
Dead Nash > Lin
Me> Lin
Coach DFish > Lin
Goudelock > Lin
Huertas > Lin

wrong on those. I'd take you in a heartbeat doe

Cocaine80s
11-12-2015, 12:45 AM

Sessions > Lin
Dead Nash > Lin
Me> Lin
Coach DFish > Lin
Goudelock > Lin
Huertas > Lin
Okafor,Mudiay, Porzingis>>>>>Russell :lol :lol :lol

FireDavidKahn
11-12-2015, 12:58 AM
Towns > all

Cocaine80s
11-12-2015, 12:59 AM
Towns > all
Nah, I see Towns busting. I would actually take Russel over him long term

wally_world
11-12-2015, 01:03 AM
Evan Turner 2.0

Lakers Fan
11-12-2015, 01:05 AM

:roll:

Mudiay straight up sucks. Unless you want a 33% shooting PG with a 1/1 Ast/TO ratio. The only reason he has higher overall numbers is because he gets the minutes, and doesnt have to share the rock with ball hogs like Clarkson, Randle and yes....Kobe.

bobopenguin
11-12-2015, 01:06 AM

Sessions > Lin
Dead Nash > Lin
Me> Lin
Coach DFish > Lin
Goudelock > Lin
Huertas > Lin

fk yeah, we need u. u are better than lebron.

FireDavidKahn
11-12-2015, 01:07 AM
Nah, I see Towns busting. I would actually take Russel over him long term
Mad, bro?

24-Inch_Chrome
11-12-2015, 01:08 AM
Okafor just put up 26/7, D'Angeslow is still a bust.

AirTupac
11-12-2015, 01:43 AM
wrong on those. I'd take you in a heartbeat doe

Thanks. And yes I am more skilled than LeBron.

But one thing, Steve Blake is without a doubt a better player (or was, havent seen him since he left the Lakers), than Lin.

DoctorP
11-12-2015, 01:44 AM
Thanks. And yes I am more skilled than LeBron.

But one thing, Steve Blake is without a doubt a better player (or was, havent seen him since he left the Lakers), than Lin.

more skilled at sucking 2pacs dick?

:lol

Run&Gun=Fun
11-12-2015, 03:23 AM

Sessions > Lin
Dead Nash > Lin
Me> Lin
Coach DFish > Lin
Goudelock > Lin
Huertas > Lin

Smush?

fpliii
11-12-2015, 03:46 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut0WbPKQzAg

:banana:

I<3NBA
11-12-2015, 04:50 AM
oh, what a surprise! Kobe sits, and the PG gets to do his job :rolleyes:

PickernRoller
11-12-2015, 04:57 AM

The only thing surprising in this post is that you're dickriding yet another team with that avy.

coin24
11-12-2015, 05:09 AM

What a surprise! You're posting about Kobe and the lakers, who you supposedly hate, yet devote yourself with all your alts to discuss all day:lol

STATUTORY
11-12-2015, 09:29 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut0WbPKQzAg

:banana:

blew by his defender on multiple occasion for layups this game, was the fast guy on transition

:applause: the only reason he looks "slow" is because he is so composed and moves effortlessly, DLO is actually one of the more physically gifted PG in the game.

His lateral quickness is off the charts, dude COOKED and shut down Payton last night

Jameerthefear
11-12-2015, 09:46 AM
blew by his defender on multiple occasion for layups this game, was the fast guy on transition

:applause: the only reason he looks "slow" is because he is so composed and moves effortlessly, DLO is actually one of the more physically gifted PG in the game.

His lateral quickness is off the charts, dude COOKED and shut down Payton last night
more like payton had the worst game of his life and skiles benched him. he missed like 6 wide open layups

AirTupac
11-12-2015, 10:30 AM
more like payton had the worst game of his life and skiles benched him. he missed like 6 wide open layups

What an awful PG. Can't make basic grade school elementary layups. This is the Orlando PG :lol :lol :lol

SpecialQue
11-12-2015, 10:35 AM
Russell fans are becoming some of the worst in basketball.

This nigguh has fans? :biggums:

Brokenbeat
11-12-2015, 11:27 AM
OP tries too hard

You think this is realgm or something?

:oldlol:

ISH is RealGM's retarded little brother, lol.

KOBEtherealKing
11-12-2015, 11:29 AM
Posters are obsessed with this kid and he's not even in his prime :roll: :lol
The next Kobe for sure now :applause: :bowdown:
There's a thread on him everyday

ClipperRevival
11-12-2015, 03:11 PM
He's looked much better the last 2 games. His midrange has been deadly and he's been more aggressive and attacking the basket more. Hopefully this continues.

Braincells
11-12-2015, 03:31 PM
Yeah, it's called time.

It's hard to label someone a bust without giving them a full season or two to show what they can do. Too bad we live in an instant gratification society where popular consensus changes day to day.

Players need time to acclimate to the NBA game, especially at the PG position. We knew what Okafor was going to bring out of the box since skilled big men are commodities in the league. Russell will get there if Byron continues play him.

He doesn't have an NBA ready body yet, but he's playing to his strengths and not doing anything crazy.

Too bad he's playing for an archaic coach and a now defunct Lakers organization. He'd be better suited for a team that emphasizes ball movement and less shot jacking. Pretty sure he'd be beasting in Denver or Philly.

RoseCity07
11-12-2015, 04:03 PM
Damian Lillard was killing his rookie year. He went to a small school. This dude gets no excuses.

fpliii
11-12-2015, 04:13 PM
Damian Lillard was killing his rookie year. He went to a small school. This dude gets no excuses.
Four years of school vs 1 year...Nash also was in school 4 years, Curry 3. If Russell looks the same in a couple years, then yes, I'd see he can't use it as an excuse.

FKAri
11-12-2015, 04:26 PM
He will retire as the greatest Laker

Lakers Fan
11-12-2015, 04:29 PM

Lillard entered the league at 22 and had the green light to jack up 16 shots per game and literally played almost double the minutes as Russell, in his first 7 games. :rolleyes:

STATUTORY
11-12-2015, 04:45 PM
He's looked much better the last 2 games. His midrange has been deadly and he's been more aggressive and attacking the basket more. Hopefully this continues.

thought you were calling him a bust cause he was "slow"?

ClipperRevival
11-12-2015, 04:52 PM
thought you were calling him a bust cause he was "slow"?

I never said he was a bust. Only that his ceiling was limited. Two different things.

outbreak
11-12-2015, 04:58 PM
Lillard entered the league at 22 and had the green light to jack up 16 shots per game and literally played almost double the minutes as Russell, in his first 7 games. :rolleyes:

Russell has a green light on a bad team as well, if he were putting up 19ppg and 6.5rbs he'd also be playing more minutes. I don't think you know what the word "literally" means either because Lillard didn't play double them minutes (which is impossible unless all his games went in to OT).

Russell isn't a bust yet, he is young and has things to work out. Why can't lakers fans just admit that instead of trying to act like he is some GOAT level prospect....

It's rare for a rookie to come in to the league and be a legit contributor right away. Russell will improve and should be at least serviceable but he isn't a lock to be a star yet which most rookies aren't.

STATUTORY
11-12-2015, 05:16 PM
I never said he was a bust. Only that his ceiling was limited. Two different things.

he actually has the highest ceiling of all the guards in the draft though. He's deceptively quick, he only looks slow because he's incredibly composed. Last night he had Payton dancing on stilts when he drove and he cut off Payton anytime he tried to get in the lane.

Russell is a special talent with a very unique set of skills

RoseCity07
11-12-2015, 05:20 PM

He would be getting the minutes if he was good enough. Coaches don't rest talent. And lol at him not getting the green light on this Laker team. He should chuck away all year. This isn't a contending Laker team. No excuses.

oarabbus
11-12-2015, 05:23 PM
The gas lighting in ops post is insane. Guards are typically very quick to adapt, it's big men who are "projects".

outbreak
he actually has the highest ceiling of all the guards in the draft though. He's deceptively quick, he only looks slow because he's incredibly composed. Last night he had Payton dancing on stilts when he drove and he cut off Payton anytime he tried to get in the lane.

no he didn't lol. The only way he scores is off pick and rolls and catch and shoots. He didn't blow by anyone and scoring on payton when he has a strained hamstring is hardly with bragging.

ClipperRevival

He has heavy feet and that limits his ceiling. It's that simple. But i do like what i've seen the last 2 games. His shot has been on point and he even broke down a couple of set defenders. I hope i am dead wrong and he turns into a superstar but right now, i am just hoping he becomes a very good PG.

outbreak
The gas lighting in ops post is insane. Guards are typically very quick to adapt, it's big men who are "projects".
Point guards are projects too in a lot of cases. At least in terms of running an offence and play making.

ClipperRevival
11-12-2015, 05:24 PM
no he didn't lol. The only way he scores is off pick and rolls and catch and shoots. He didn't blow by anyone.

He broke down set defenders about 3-4 times the last 2 games and also took it to the basket a couple more times off the p&r.

outbreak
11-12-2015, 05:26 PM
He broke down set defenders about 3-4 times the last 2 games and also took it to the basket a couple more times off the p&r.

He didn't have anyone on skates and he didn't blow by anyone is my point. He is trying to make out like he has some hidden speed or footwork that just does not exist. He was canny and found ways to score and that's a huge positive because that's what he needs going forward but he didn't do it by outpacing players. I think he will be decent, just sick of the lakers fans who over hype and over react with bullshit that isn't true.

ClipperRevival
11-12-2015, 05:29 PM
He didn't have anyone on skates and he didn't blow by anyone is my point. He is trying to make out like he has some hidden speed or footwork that just does not exist. He was canny and found ways to score and that's a huge positive because that's what he needs going forward but he didn't do it by outpacing players. I think he will be decent, just sick of the lakers fans who over hype and over react with bullshit that isn't true.

Well, he did shake Jarrett Jack pretty badly with a crossover. But yeah, the other times, it was his counter moves which worked on the defender, not by a quick first step. But that's encouraging in itself that he was able to get by a set defender with his skills because he can't blow by guys. But just makes it harder because sometimes you want to get by your man with just quickness instead of having to EARN it with a nice move.

oarabbus
11-12-2015, 06:04 PM
Point guards are projects too in a lot of cases. At least in terms of running an offence and play making.

I don't think they are projects as often as a big man, though. And you can give a big man 2-3+ years to develop if you think he's a high-ceiling project. A PG gets what, maybe a season?

outbreak
11-12-2015, 06:10 PM
I don't think they are projects as often as a big man, though. And you can give a big man 2-3+ years to develop if you think he's a high-ceiling project. A PG gets what, maybe a season?
Your right I guess project isn't the right word but point guards can take time before they can run an efficient offence. Most have high turn overs early on and make poor decisions. Most can create for themselves though and can contribute so I guess it's not the same as a big man project. It's also different in the amount of good point guards who are available compared to the amount of good big men.

AirTupac
11-12-2015, 07:08 PM
The PG spot has the hardest learning curve by far in the NBA lol. I can list you just as many PG's who took years to become what they were. JKidd and Nash are just 2 examples. Lillard was in college for how many years?

Braincells
11-12-2015, 07:26 PM
He would be getting the minutes if he was good enough. Coaches don't rest talent. And lol at him not getting the green light on this Laker team. He should chuck away all year. This isn't a contending Laker team. No excuses.

Except the Lakers already have 3 chuckers. Russell isn't a chucking point guard by nature.