PDA

View Full Version : Cavs fans: Revisiting the Love/Wiggins trade?

IGOTGAME
11-12-2015, 01:16 PM
Do you think it had to be done? Was it the right move?

DukeDelonte13
11-12-2015, 01:38 PM
yes it was absolutely the right move for both teams.

If the trade hadn't have happened Love would be the number 1 focal point putting up crazy stats while wiggins would have been struggling to get major minutes and touches in the rotation in cleveland.

Giving wiggins the exposure to build upon for his development wasn't really going to be an option in Cleveland.

It would have been nice to keep him but Cavs are in win-now mode, not develop young promising players mode.

tmacattack33
11-12-2015, 01:45 PM
Seems like a good deal to me.

Wiggins and Lebron on the same team would be a weak pairing since neither can shoot well and needs the ball to be most effective.

PacerRaptor
11-12-2015, 01:49 PM
Same as the Kobe/Divac trade

Purch
11-12-2015, 01:55 PM
It's one of the few trades that worked out well for both parties.

I always felt it was an easy decision for the Cavs.

poido123
11-12-2015, 02:04 PM
Cavs took a big risk.

If love and the Cavs end up winning the championship, it will be all worth it.

If not, well at least they die trying.

Uncle Drew
11-12-2015, 02:05 PM
Yes.

/thread

JtotheIzzo
11-12-2015, 03:54 PM
It was ridiculous and will only get moreso as time goes on.

Wiggins could save Brans legs, take miles off his career allow him to stay peak longer (ask Larry Bird about missing out on Len Bias).

Wiggins might have changed the finals last year.

You NEVER waste talent and throw it at a career stat padder.

jayfan
11-12-2015, 04:03 PM
Failure so far.

Mortgaged their future for win now, haven't won yet. Conversely, they got to the finals without Love anyway.

Doranku
11-12-2015, 04:10 PM
I mean, Love did nothing during the regular season last year, got injured during the playoffs, and is shooting 40% so far this year.

Granted Wiggins hasn't done anything either and is shooting 40% as well, but the flashes of brilliance are there. We'll see how he progresses.

There have been no real benefits to the Cavs making the trade so far, though. Not to mention the trade for a bunch of Knicks role players has had MUCH more positive impact on the Cavs than the trade for Love has. :lol

JohnMax
11-12-2015, 04:12 PM
If Wiggins has a good game tonight.

This thread is going to get bumped with people saying it was a bad trade.

STATUTORY
11-12-2015, 04:30 PM
terrible move by LeGM, called it from the start. Cavs mortgaged the future for the present because Bran couldn't handle a younger more athletic alpha that would take his spotlight

West-Side
11-12-2015, 04:34 PM
Horrible trade for Cleveland, Wiggins probably could have helped LeBron last year in the NBA finals. His career seems promising and this trade will be talked about ten years from now as one of the dumbest in league history.

Gus Hemmingway
11-12-2015, 04:35 PM
7-1 :cheers:

poido123
11-12-2015, 04:38 PM
Failure so far.

Mortgaged their future for win now, haven't won yet. Conversely, they got to the finals without Love anyway.

The failure would be IF THEY DIDN'T go all in on winning now.

Failure is for those who don't bother trying to win it all. why hang on to young talent for the hope that they can turn into something down the track when you can cash in now and give yourself 3 good years of solid contending. You would be wasting Lebron's prime years if they waited for down the track. If you have the best player in the game, you get him immiediate help.

They don't play basketball to hold the most talented assets. they play for championships.

SwishSquared
11-12-2015, 04:43 PM
Love was the player that could make them a legit title contender right away who was available at the time. I understood why Cleveland did it. Wiggins would have need 2 full years of development to be ready to contribute to a title contender, if he was on the fastest track. He wouldn't have developed that fast in Cleveland imo. Especially if CLE still trades for JR/Shump/Mozgov.

I thought that they gave up too much considering Minny's lack of leverage in the deal. However, LBJ wanted Love and they got him. I still think they would have won the title if healthy last year (no offense to Dubs fans). That easily would have validated the trade. I think they can win it this year, too, in which case it would still validate the trade. Trading potential for a contender is something a GM would do 10/10 basically, especially with a win-now guy like LeBron.

Minnesota made out like bandits in that trade. I just thought that trading for Thad Young was an ill-conceived idea, considering that there was no way that T-Wolves team was making the playoffs last year. That MIA pick might be in the late teens but it could have been a nice trade chip. However, this team's future looks incredibly bright.

jayfan
11-12-2015, 05:47 PM
The failure would be IF THEY DIDN'T go all in on winning now.

Failure is for those who don't bother trying to win it all. why hang on to young talent for the hope that they can turn into something down the track when you can cash in now and give yourself 3 good years of solid contending. You would be wasting Lebron's prime years if they waited for down the track. If you have the best player in the game, you get him immiediate help.

They don't play basketball to hold the most talented assets. they play for championships.

There is truth in what you say. Trying is good. But you have to win it all in order for the trade to have been worthwhile.