PDA

View Full Version : What NBA star of the past 5-10 years will be called a "Forgotten Star" in 20 years?

JohnMax
11-13-2015, 02:48 PM
I was looking up Fat Lever and saw that they called him "The forgotten star", got me thinking.

AnaheimLakers24
11-13-2015, 02:49 PM
Tim duncan, i sometimes forget hes been riding the coattails of the spurs young stars since 07

sd3035
11-13-2015, 02:50 PM
unfortunately Durant if he can't stay healthy

DMAVS41
11-13-2015, 02:51 PM
Rose very much is the leader in the club house on this...

Fallen Angel
11-13-2015, 02:53 PM
Derrick Rose sounds right

Lamarcus Aldridge could also be forgotten

ClipperRevival
11-13-2015, 02:54 PM
Someone like Pierce comes to mind. Even now, when discussing the best players of this era, he never gets mentioned. But the guy has a fmvp and could give you 25 ppg as "the man" at his peak. He's forgotten already to some extent.

pastis
11-13-2015, 02:56 PM
unfortunatelly: Dirk Nowitzki.

Milbuck
11-13-2015, 02:59 PM
Rose very much is the leader in the club house on this...
There will always be a rabid Chicago stanbase for Rose that will forever romanticize his MVP year. He's not gonna be forgotten easily imo.

DMAVS41
11-13-2015, 02:59 PM
Derrick Rose sounds right

Lamarcus Aldridge could also be forgotten

He was actually my 2nd choice, but wasn't sure if he would be considered a "star" by the public

DMAVS41
11-13-2015, 03:00 PM
There will always be a rabid Chicago stanbase for Rose that forever romanticize his MVP year.

Maybe here, but not in the real world...too many people that started watching ball in 12 or 13 will just think of him as a bad player that is always injured.

guy
11-13-2015, 03:09 PM
Derrick Rose is a former MVP and probably a top 5 player from the franchise with the 3rd most titles and that resides in one of the biggest markets. He will go down as Grant Hill or Penny Hardaway who are nowhere near forgotten like Fat Lever.

Forgotten star is going to be someone like Deron Williams, LaMarcus Aldridge, Amare Stoudemire, Joe Johnson, Antwan Jamison, Gilbert Arenas, etc.

Teanett
11-13-2015, 03:09 PM
Rose

DMAVS41
11-13-2015, 03:11 PM
Derrick Rose is a former MVP and probably a top 5 player from the franchise with the 3rd most titles and that resides in one of the biggest markets. He will go down as Grant Hill or Penny Hardaway who are nowhere near forgotten like Fat Lever.

Forgotten star is going to be someone like Deron Williams, LaMarcus Aldridge, Amare Stoudemire, Joe Johnson, Antwan Jamison, Gilbert Arenas, etc.

this depends on how you define "star"

i wouldn't consider a lot of those guys stars above...

Mr. Jabbar
11-13-2015, 03:13 PM
J
A
M
E
S

C
H
O
K
E
D
E
N.. D E R R I C K... R O S E

Milbuck
11-13-2015, 03:18 PM
Maybe here, but not in the real world...too many people that started watching ball in 12 or 13 will just think of him as a bad player that is always injured.
Stupid people, maybe. Don't know how any legit basketball fan who knows what an MVP means would just assume Rose always sucked. People who never saw pre injuries T-Mac, Hill, Penny still hype them up..People love to play the what if, nostalgia game whether they were around at the time or not and that's gonna be no different with Rose.

Honestly, the young kids who wouldn't have seen him before the injuries would probably hype him up even more, considering they didn't get to see his failures live but do get to see all his highlights online.

guy
11-13-2015, 03:19 PM
this depends on how you define "star"

i wouldn't consider a lot of those guys stars above...

How many stars are there then? All those guys were multiple time all-stars.

Well this isn't really saying much. People that didn't watch the 90s and don't decide to look back on their history could probably only name like Jordan, Barkley, and Shaq as stars from the 90s

DMAVS41
11-13-2015, 03:21 PM
Stupid people, maybe. Don't know how any legit basketball fan who knows what an MVP means would just assume Rose always sucked. People who never saw pre injuries T-Mac, Hill, Penny still hype them up..People love to play the what if, nostalgia game whether they were around at the time or not and that's gonna be no different with Rose.

Honestly, the young kids who wouldn't have seen him before the injuries would probably hype him up even more, considering they didn't get to see his failures live but do get to see all his highlights online.

It depends on if he gets back to playing at a better level.

Hell, I forget about Penny and Hill sometimes and they were two of my favorite players of all time.

imdaman99
11-13-2015, 03:21 PM
J
A
M
E
S

C
H
O
K
E
D E R R I C K.....R O S E
E
N
Fixed, and looks nicer.

My vote is Melo. As a Knicks fan I already can't stand him and all it took was 3-4 years. This guy with his giggling form after bricking a clutch shot is about the least likeable thing I have ever witnessed as a Knicks fan... well it's close since I can't stand Charles Smith.

DMAVS41
11-13-2015, 03:22 PM
How many stars are there then? All those guys were multiple time all-stars.

Well this isn't really saying much. People that didn't watch the 90s and don't decide to look back on their history could probably only name like Jordan, Barkley, and Shaq as stars from the 90s

I was picking a guy that was a true star / superstar that even non basketball fans know.

If the bar is lowered to Antawn Jamison level...then there are probably 100 guys I'd pick before Rose....

Marbury, Francis, Sharif Abdur-Rahim, McDyess...etc.

24-Inch_Chrome
11-13-2015, 03:23 PM
unfortunately Durant if he can't stay healthy

Not sure if he'll be forgotten but I think that he could easily be overshadowed if he can't stay healthy.

Rose is probably my #1 pick.

SouBeachTalents
11-13-2015, 03:26 PM
Carmelo, CP3, and/or McGrady

24-Inch_Chrome
11-13-2015, 03:27 PM
Forgot about Melo. :lol

It's starting already.

Young X
11-13-2015, 03:30 PM
Definitely CP3 if he doesn't win a championship.

Young X
11-13-2015, 03:34 PM
People will remember Derrick Rose and his name but they will slowly forget how good he was pre-injuries if he doesn't get back to being an all-star caliber player which seems like might happen unfortunately.

ShawkFactory
11-13-2015, 03:35 PM
Carmelo, CP3, and/or McGrady
People won't forget McGrady. At least not to the extent of a guy like Fat Lever.

He'll go down with a similar legacy and remembrance factor as a guy like Gervin.

SouBeachTalents
11-13-2015, 03:40 PM
People won't forget McGrady. At least not to the extent of a guy like Fat Lever.

He'll go down with a similar legacy and remembrance factor as a guy like Gervin.

Idk bro, dudes who never got out of the first round don't have much staying power/historical relevance

SexSymbol
11-13-2015, 03:49 PM
Well, certainly not Kobe and Bron the way this forum's been for the last 5 years.
I'd say Wade, I think people are already forgetting how great he was, majority considered him the best player in 2011, it's only been a few years.

Melo is the other one, nobody cares about him anymore already, and he's still relatively in his prime years

outbreak
11-13-2015, 03:55 PM
Rose and carmello. Durants had too much exposure to be forgotten

RRR3
11-13-2015, 05:40 PM
Idk bro, dudes who never got out of the first round don't have much staying power/historical relevance
T-Mac got out of the first round with the Spurs :pimp:

And Pistol Pete is still remembered, and he never made it past the first round.

ShawkFactory
11-13-2015, 06:04 PM
Without looking, do you know whether or not Gervin got out of the first round?

When it comes to people who in general weren't "successful", beauty in their game comes to the forefront.

He peaked in 2003, never got past the first round, yet people still talk about him almost every day on here. People know who Tmac is. They always will.

buddha
11-13-2015, 06:07 PM
Westbrook as much as I hate to say it.

He will see a steep decline in his 30's and will probably deal with injuries due to his style of play.

If he doesn't win a ring, nobody will remember him.

feyki
11-13-2015, 06:33 PM
Amar'e , Joe Johnson , Deron Williams , Boozer , Brandon Roy .

oarabbus
11-13-2015, 06:38 PM
Makes me wonder if Carmelo will be forgotten.

Bernard King is obviously known by hoops heads... but the casual bball fan doesn't know shit about him. Carmelo could be the same.

tmacattack33
11-13-2015, 08:29 PM
Deron Williams. He played in Utah and even when he was as good as CP3 he didn't get much hype.

And when ppl in 2035 do internet searches for the all-star teams, they won't see his name much. He was robbed many times of all-star spots.

FKAri
11-13-2015, 08:33 PM
Amar'e , Joe Johnson , Deron Williams , Boozer , Brandon Roy .

Boozer? A star? Lmao

feyki
11-13-2015, 08:38 PM
Boozer? A star? Lmao

People says "Boozer is best pf" at those days(i guess between 2007 to 2010) .

dhsilv
11-13-2015, 09:48 PM
Seems like a low bar for stars here.

Moses Malone is imo the biggest example of a forgotten star. He won 3 straight MVP's and before his death how many people under 25 even knew his name? He's an after thought by all but pretty serious hoops fans.

It would take a guy on Dirks level to be forgotten to match that.

Kobe_6/8
11-13-2015, 10:30 PM
Rose
McGrady
Webber
Iverson

Klay Thompson?
Rondo will be under-rated ('dat playoff Rondo doe')

SouBeachTalents
11-13-2015, 10:39 PM
Rose
McGrady
Webber
Iverson

Klay Thompson?
Rondo will be under-rated ('dat playoff Rondo doe')

No chance Iverson is forgotten

JohnFreeman
11-13-2015, 10:42 PM
Dwight

JimmyMcAdocious
11-13-2015, 10:48 PM
Probably Rose.

People going to be like wtf this asian guy won mvp? Then they will google, see his injury problems, and make the assumption that the league's youngest MVP would have been the GOAT had he not been injured. Because apparently getting hurt can only enhance your legacy in basketball.

buddha
11-13-2015, 11:00 PM
Probably Rose.

People going to be like wtf this asian guy won mvp? Then they will google, see his injury problems, and make the assumption that the league's youngest MVP would have been the GOAT had he not been injured. Because apparently getting hurt can only enhance your legacy in basketball.

he will definitely a big what if candidate. too bad nobody in the future will know how big of a bitch he was.

maybe our posts will still be around and people will read them, that's the weird thing. people hundreds of years from now could look back at what the average joe's thoughts were.