PDA

View Full Version : Why Isn't There As Many Street Ballers in the NBA??

STelfair31
04-26-2007, 01:30 PM
Why isn't there any street ballers from AND1 in the NBA other than Rafer "Skip To My Lou" Alston??? Them guys are crazy but when you watch on a fastbreak none of them hustle back... can any of y'll answer this question....

If it was NBA all-stars vs AND1... I'm takin NBA but i think it would be close....

In a college game length i think the score would be like 120 easy... for both teams

saKf
04-26-2007, 01:31 PM
There aren't a lot of streetballers in the NBA for many reasons.

One of the reasons is that the streetball world exists in part for those guys who are good, but not good enough for the NBA.

Also, it's a completely different game than the NBA game.

brantonli
04-26-2007, 01:34 PM
Because of the defensive pressure in the NBA. I have no doubt that And1 ballers will be great ballhandlers in the NBA (Alston) but they also need scoring ability when there's defence being played, and to be able to play heavy minutes if needed.

Younggrease
04-26-2007, 01:37 PM
Streetball players arent really that good. That level of talent is totally different.... NBA All Stars would beat And 1 by 50.

You can take the backup of every team and put them against the best street ballers and its still a blowout.

NBA players are soo much better than streetballers its crazy.

adamcz
04-26-2007, 01:39 PM
Why isn't there any street ballers from AND1 in the NBA other than Rafer "Skip To My Lou" Alston??? Them guys are crazy but when you watch on a fastbreak none of them hustle back... can any of y'll answer this question....

If it was NBA all-stars vs AND1... I'm takin NBA but i think it would be close....

In a college game length i think the score would be like 120 easy... for both teams
I'm reporting this post. We can't tolerate nonsense like this.

Da KO King
04-26-2007, 01:44 PM
Pretty much every NBA player is a former streetball player.

Real streetball is not that And 1 stuff. Real streetball is playing in the Sonny Hill tournament in Philly, the EBC (Rucker) in NYC, the Barry Farms league in DC, the Pro-Am league in Chicago, etc. That is true streetball.

That And 1 stuff is a hip-hop influenced exhibition game constructed in a similar manner of a Harlem Globetrotters game.

Younggrease
04-26-2007, 01:46 PM
Pretty much every NBA player is a former streetball player.

Real streetball is not that And 1 stuff. Real streetball is playing in the Sonny Hill tournament in Philly, the EBC (Rucker) in NYC, the Barry Farms league in DC, the Pro-Am league in Chicago, etc. That is true streetball.

That And 1 stuff is a hip-hop influenced exhibition game constructed in a similar manner of a Harlem Globetrotters game.

exactly...take freakin JR SMith...he got dominates the EBC when he plays but he isnt anywhere near that in the NBA. Kobe looked like he was joking around with a bunch 5 year olds when he went.

Da KO King
04-26-2007, 01:53 PM
The point of my initial post is that pretty much every single NBA player has played REAL streetball at one time or another. But...

exactly...take freakin JR SMith...he got dominates the EBC when he plays but he isnt anywhere near that in the NBA. Kobe looked like he was joking around with a bunch 5 year olds when he went.

On the flip side of that you have a guy like Damon Jones who did not stand out at all other than running his mouth.

B-Low
04-26-2007, 01:55 PM
When i was younger i thought maybe the streetballers could at least give them a good game...

then i saw Brevin Knight destroy Rucker Park.

insidehoops
04-26-2007, 01:57 PM

Assuming it's a real game where everyone is really trying, NBA All-Stars vs AND 1 would not be close. The NBA team would destroy them.

Most of the and1 players are ABA/USBL/CBA/D-league level players.

The and1 team lost bunches of games over the past summer or two to random open run teams, made up of random guys who have never met each other before.

STelfair31
04-26-2007, 02:39 PM
the ISH AD posted!!!

The D is alot different in the NBA and AND1 but what about a dunk contest any of y'll see an AND1 winner if you put the best dunkers together in both the NBA and AND1

Younggrease
04-26-2007, 02:40 PM
The point of my initial post is that pretty much every single NBA player has played REAL streetball at one time or another. But...

On the flip side of that you have a guy like Damon Jones who did not stand out at all other than running his mouth.

Damon jones is the exceprion to not dominating a game like Skip is the exception for playing in the NBA....

But for Damon Jones....if all you can do is stand there and shoot then playing in the Rutger(outdoors) with no other skill isnt going to do anything.

Soccer10
04-26-2007, 02:41 PM
**** streetball.

STelfair31
04-26-2007, 02:43 PM
Damon Jones is money from 3...

ForceOfNature
04-26-2007, 02:44 PM
Streetball players arent really that good. That level of talent is totally different.... NBA All Stars would beat And 1 by 50.

Agreed for the most part, but I think many streetballers can play in the Association. It's just in general, NBA players are better. Plus it's a different type of game .

STelfair31
04-26-2007, 02:46 PM
streetballas got game...but the transition into the league is different....what about a dunk contest any of y'll see an AND1 winner if you put the best dunkers together in both the NBA and AND1

STelfair31
04-26-2007, 02:47 PM
i think A.O. would be a good PG for some teams... and Air UP There would be a good player..

tigermonkey
04-26-2007, 02:48 PM
Because in the NBA there are these rules called traveling and double dribbling that 99% of streetballers are completely unaware of.

STelfair31
04-26-2007, 02:49 PM
the NBA half the time doesn't even call it.... they've gotten better....but i'm not much for worryin about who walks, carries and doubles....

brantonli
04-26-2007, 02:58 PM
the NBA half the time doesn't even call it.... they've gotten better....but i'm not much for worryin about who walks, carries and doubles....

The coach would go bananas if the streetballers tried their tricks in the NBA. Firstly, they'll irritat whatever star is on the floor at that time, since they could probably do the same, and the refs will certainly call a variation of travel/walk/carry/double-dribble/5-second, and coaches hate unnecessary violations since it means giving points and possessions.

Timmy D for MVP
04-26-2007, 03:00 PM
AND 1 can't make it, because usually ther eare simply not good enough. Period.

hwliuLAP
04-26-2007, 03:06 PM
What's Alston's FG% again?

I hope that answers your question,
streetballers just looks good in the absolute no defense system
like how Nash with the run/gun system makes everyone looks like an All Star

Younggrease
04-26-2007, 03:09 PM

exactly......stop overrating these guys its sickening. They are what they are. I have nothing against real ballers who play on the street but I hate ANd 1 players and that stupid style with a passion.

eauclaire447
04-26-2007, 03:17 PM
exactly......stop overrating these guys its sickening. They are what they are. I have nothing against real ballers who play on the street but I hate ANd 1 players and that stupid style with a passion.
no kidding.........thats not even basketball! traveling all over the place, makes the NBA look like they are playing 50s style ball

ronron15
04-26-2007, 03:20 PM
if you're talkin about streetball the classic version... meaning EBC, the cage, and etc.... then its because they're not on the nba level yet... they're just simpily not there yet

but its you're talkin about and1 streetball... they its a totally different story
they play more for the entertainment side than the winning side, they also travel alot.... if u talk about straight fundamentals, they arent up there with the pros...

i remember there was a time when someone asked "skip" if anyone from and1 can stay in the pros, i think he say a one word "no".. and main event got mad at him for it.. haha

ronron15
04-26-2007, 03:23 PM
i do remember like in 2001 when And1 was fresh and hot and was the shizznit... there were lots of hype of And1 ballers vs the pros allstar, it was something like that but it never happened...

there were also trash talk of how vince carter took the name of half man half amazing from the realll half man half amazing..

ronron15
04-26-2007, 03:24 PM

andone is fading... its dying

nah screw it, they're dead, its over, done deal

its streetball entertainment now

Da KO King
04-26-2007, 03:25 PM
if you're talkin about streetball the classic version... meaning EBC, the cage, and etc.... then its because they're not on the nba level yet... they're just simpily not there yet

but its you're talkin about and1 streetball... they its a totally different story
they play more for the entertainment side than the winning side, they also travel alot.... if u talk about straight fundamentals, they arent up there with the pros...

i remember there was a time when someone asked "skip" if anyone from and1 can stay in the pros, i think he say a one word "no".. and main event got mad at him for it.. haha
:applause:

SoulMattic
04-26-2007, 03:40 PM
There are street ballers that have the talent to be in the NBA, however not any of those current And1 guys... I can't even stand watching them play.. pure garbage.. staged bs.. if they tried any of those tricks on an NBA player or a true streetballer for that case they would get their grill smashed

imjustlikemusiq
04-26-2007, 04:12 PM
The only other player that could have made it in the NBA from And 1, aside from Alston, is Alimoe AKA The Black Widow (Dont remember his real name), I dont know how he got mixed up on the way in his life, but, the guy is ill. Hes too old to get a shot now, though, nobody is going to give a 28 year old with no NBA experience an invite to training camp, but he is better than Alston is and ever was. Im talking about a 6-7 guy with the ball handling skill that mirror those of most NBA point guards, he has a perimeter game and post moves. Hes not obsessed on crossing people up, doing "moves", he doesnt carry the ball, etc.

Da KO King
04-26-2007, 04:24 PM
The only other player that could have made it in the NBA from And 1, aside from Alston, is Alimoe AKA The Black Widow (Dont remember his real name), I dont know how he got mixed up on the way in his life, but, the guy is ill. Hes too old to get a shot now, though, nobody is going to give a 28 year old with no NBA experience an invite to training camp, but he is better than Alston is and ever was. Im talking about a 6-7 guy with the ball handling skill that mirror those of most NBA point guards, he has a perimeter game and post moves. Hes not obsessed on crossing people up, doing "moves", he doesnt carry the ball, etc.
Tyrone Evans.

Jerry Tarkanian came to the Rucker to see Al and Skip play. Tark fell in love with both. Tell them if they went to a JUCO and did what they were supposed to in class they would get a free ride at Fresno State.

We all now how it turned out for Skip.

Al went to a JUCO called Sullivan. In his first few games with the team he averaged something in the area of 20 points 5 boards and 5 assists. This was the first time Al played ball for nothing in years.

He quit the team and school a few months into the season to return to NYC. He was playing for nothing but a scholarship so he was broke. He decided he'd rather go back home and plays for money/gifts on the streets. He figured the NBA would eventually notice just like Tark did. Sadly, the days of NBA scouts watching the parks for possible prospects are long gone so Al never got a second chance.

allball
04-26-2007, 04:30 PM
First of all the games would not be close with just the AND1 ballers mainly because they dont have any size and most of them are not even D1 college players. There are a couple of cats with the heart to bang with the NBAers like Main Event and Half-Man but they're old now and they are both undersized.

AND1 team also could not beat some of top EBC and AAU teams.

I got love for those guys though because they used to be fun to watch and they have some of the great freestyle dunkers like Helicopter and AUT.

as for ballhandling it's a different level in the NBA. Rafer looks like he's unstoppable against AND1 guys but in the NBA well let's just say he's no Tim Dog.

SRZ66
04-26-2007, 04:53 PM
streetballers are a bunch of hacks who don't pass the ball, have clue no of the team concept, all think they can play in the nba etc. nba allstars would beat the best street ball squad by 100. the average college team would beat the and1 streetball squad, especially with refs and defense being played

Sean77
04-26-2007, 05:32 PM

AO tried out for the Sonics some time ago, they said he had decent PG skills but his overall body strength wasn't up to par.

Everyone talks about Skip but don't forget Starbury was the man AND1's early days. Jamall Tinsley and Smush were well known streetballers too, I don't know if Tinsley was AND1. DC's got this one cat named White Chocolate, everytime AND1 comes to DC he has a good game against them. He's playing in a minor league right now, on that Maryland team that got the 7'8" dude from China.

bleedinpurple
04-26-2007, 05:44 PM
why no streetballers? because in the NBA...
1. they have a rule called "traveling"
2. they have another half of the court where they play D.

Fudge
04-26-2007, 05:51 PM
And wasn't J-Will a streetballer? Wow, he excelled the NBA skill aspects alot.

XxNeXuSxX
04-26-2007, 05:57 PM
why no streetballers? because in the NBA...
1. they have a rule called "traveling"
2. they have another half of the court where they play D.
:oldlol: They also:

3.Do have a palming violation (That's how all those morons dribble)
4.Have to be able to hit a set jumper.

Younggrease
04-26-2007, 06:27 PM
And wasn't J-Will a streetballer? Wow, he excelled the NBA skill aspects alot.

J-Will prob played bball at the parks but he isnt a street baller. He played high school than went to Florida than to the NBA. HE took the same root as anay1 else.

XxNeXuSxX
04-26-2007, 06:32 PM
J-Will prob played bball at the parks but he isnt a street baller. He played high school than went to Florida than to the NBA. HE took the same root as anay1 else.
White chocolate...

Solid Snake
04-26-2007, 06:36 PM
Anyone got any video links to be able to see stuff like NBA players vs And 1, or NBA players versus average people?

In particular, I wanna see the one where Jeff McInnis stripped the ball 3 times in a row against some flashy And 1 player, plus Jeff had a bad hand or wrist or something.

Please see if you can get videos like that, thanks in advance, you will be well rewarded.

Don Cheto
04-26-2007, 06:49 PM

Because they suck.

Rameek
04-26-2007, 07:13 PM
And1 is entertainment and NOT how these guys really play ball... so if you probably have not seen them play organize ball how can you make a fair criticism or comparison...???
NBA is a collection of the worlds best players and And1 is a collection of entertainers with athleticism.

Timmy D for MVP
04-26-2007, 08:11 PM
Now back in the day, you'd have NBA players playing in parks, and three-on-three tournaments, and losing to guys like Bernard King (ex-NBA player, ex-scoring champ) Goat (Probably would have been an NBA player, but became so messed up with heroine), and the legend of legends, Jumpin Jackie Jackson (ex-Globetrotter).

But this was before the time of liability, and when the game was pure, if stars wanted to play, they played, and many made a bigger name for themselves on the streets than on the hardwood.

bdreason
04-26-2007, 08:12 PM
It's called a jump shot, and none of the AND1 guys have one.

Targus
04-26-2007, 08:16 PM
simple. streetball is a lot different then pro ball.

knicks15
04-26-2007, 08:45 PM
havent read the replies but if a streetballer were that good, likely he would have been straightened out and playing for an organized team. i think a lot of and 1 guys are good but probably couldnt make the league and a lot of them are undersized/short as well. they probably dont have great jumpers anyway, the moves the pull on the park cant be done on nba defenders

STelfair31
04-27-2007, 09:46 AM
Because they suck.

they'd woop ya a$$ in one on one

STelfair31
04-27-2007, 09:48 AM
anyone kno why an NBA squad took a chance on Rafer?? didn't he do a streetball move in one NBA game and Van Gundy pulled him??

JtotheIzzo
04-27-2007, 10:38 AM

Streetballers are modern day Globetrotters

they have some nice moves but they arent ballers

A good division one team would own the AndOne crew.

A few years back Bone Collector (a solid streetballer by any creed) played for a small school in NYC and was quickly nicknamed 'the Turnover Collector' by his teammates. The coach stuck with him because of the obvious potential but there is a disconnect between the street game ang running in a structured system

JtotheIzzo
04-27-2007, 10:40 AM
anyone kno why an NBA squad took a chance on Rafer?? didn't he do a streetball move in one NBA game and Van Gundy pulled him??

Rafer showed a lot of ability at Fresno State

that got him a longer look but then even self-admittantly he said he needed to learn how to play the game 'properly' before he could seriously contend for an NBA roster spot no matter how many broken ankles he left in his wake.

Sean77
04-27-2007, 10:53 AM
True, many streetballers can't cut in the L, but the reverse is sometimes true too. There was one streetballer that punished Stackhouse (got 47 points on Stack) in a game back when Stackhouse was still All-Star caliber. Can't remember his name, and he was only mentioned a few times in the papers before someone ran interference for Stack and put a gag order on the story. And1 mentioned it on one of their videos but bleeped it out everytime they said Stack's name due to the gag order. Typical....

JtotheIzzo
04-27-2007, 10:57 AM
True, many streetballers can't cut in the L, but the reverse is sometimes true too. There was one streetballer that punished Stackhouse (got 47 points on Stack) in a game back when Stackhouse was still All-Star caliber. Can't remember his name, and he was only mentioned a few times in the papers before someone ran interference for Stack and put a gag order on the story. And1 mentioned it on one of their videos but bleeped it out everytime they said Stack's name due to the gag order. Typical....

this is true, I've seen NBA guys and ex-NBA guys get owned at Rucker Park in the EBC. It is tough to beat people at their own game (and they are different games).

but at the end of the day, who would win out?

20 Dimes A Game
04-27-2007, 11:38 AM
Because it's ok to try and break someones ankles every trip down the floor but you can't do that in the NBA. And most are just not good enough, only the Professor?

JalenRawley
04-27-2007, 11:58 AM

Is Alimoe really 6'7"? I knew he was pretty up there and all, but I thought he was like 6'4". Not that three inches is -that- big of a difference, but still.. I didn't know he was 6'7".

pete's montreux
04-27-2007, 12:04 PM
I always thought AO could've made it. He was always the pass first PG on the tour, at least he had the right mentality.

I don't doubt that most of these guys can get a bucket or two in a real NBA game, but that's even stretching it a bit.

imjustlikemusiq
04-27-2007, 12:08 PM
AO tried out for the Sonics some time ago, they said he had decent PG skills but his overall body strength wasn't up to par.

Everyone talks about Skip but don't forget Starbury was the man AND1's early days. Jamall Tinsley and Smush were well known streetballers too, I don't know if Tinsley was AND1. DC's got this one cat named White Chocolate, everytime AND1 comes to DC he has a good game against them. He's playing in a minor league right now, on that Maryland team that got the 7'8" dude from China.
I live like 10 minutes from White Chocolate, dude is a crybaby bum, he plays for the Maryland Nighthawks and won that pathetic show on MTV a few years back, Ive played in pick up games with White Chocolate, he never stops crying, hes also much worse than i would have expected

imjustlikemusiq
04-27-2007, 12:09 PM
Tyrone Evans.

Jerry Tarkanian came to the Rucker to see Al and Skip play. Tark fell in love with both. Tell them if they went to a JUCO and did what they were supposed to in class they would get a free ride at Fresno State.

We all now how it turned out for Skip.

Al went to a JUCO called Sullivan. In his first few games with the team he averaged something in the area of 20 points 5 boards and 5 assists. This was the first time Al played ball for nothing in years.

He quit the team and school a few months into the season to return to NYC. He was playing for nothing but a scholarship so he was broke. He decided he'd rather go back home and plays for money/gifts on the streets. He figured the NBA would eventually notice just like Tark did. Sadly, the days of NBA scouts watching the parks for possible prospects are long gone so Al never got a second chance.
Ah... thats a shame. Thanks for the update dude.

STelfair31
04-27-2007, 04:38 PM
do u see any street ballers in the future goin and having an impact in the league.... scouts don't really go to the playgrounds anymore why??

XxNeXuSxX
04-27-2007, 05:20 PM
I actually played with The Helicopter once... he can't shoot for sh*t.

Inspector Rick
04-27-2007, 08:18 PM
Same reason those knife throwers from circuses aren't hi level government assassins. Its a show for the most part, different ball game altogether.

itsmedamien
04-27-2007, 09:29 PM
Alimoe is probably the only other And1 player that had the talent and size to make it the NBA. It's a shame, man is a very good basketball player.

Da KO King
04-27-2007, 10:25 PM
White Chocolate is f'n trash. I know an NBA scout that actually shakes his head in disgust every time Chocolate's name is mentioned.

None of his skills or athletic abilities are on a NBA level. I'm not even sure he'd find success playing at lower levels of overseas.

AtTheDriveIn
04-27-2007, 10:43 PM
do u see any street ballers in the future goin and having an impact in the league.... scouts don't really go to the playgrounds anymore why??

Because there's no talent at 'your local ball park' and because they'd probably get shot.

Vybe173
04-27-2007, 11:20 PM
Traveling!!!!!

STelfair31
04-28-2007, 11:39 AM
Because there's no talent at 'your local ball park' and because they'd probably get shot.

hahaha thats funny hahaha
honestly i'll give that to ya that was a good one..
dam right he'd get shot... if he ain't there to see me he def gettin it....

STelfair31
04-28-2007, 11:40 AM
i was talkin bout the Ruckers and those kinda parks not my local ball park... and theres a lil talent...

STelfair31
04-28-2007, 11:40 AM
Traveling!!!!!

you mean walking??
or just like the car traveling??

3stat2
04-28-2007, 12:42 PM
An NBA level talent is like one in a million. Though I don't live in the USA, here's what my perception of it is, at least for people who aren't ridiculously tall:
1) Take the best player from your high school team.
2) Put him in a team with all the other top high school players in your state.
3) Take the best player out of all of them.
4) Make a national team with these top players from each state - and take the top handful.
5) Even if they somehow manage to make it to the NBA, many of them will be bench warmers, some will completely fail, some will linger in the D-League.
6) A very select few will actually play decent minutes in the NBA.
7) Your result is a freak of coordination, athleticism and skill. Anything you can do, they can do better :banana:

So yeah, I'd imagine your average And1 talent comes in quite a few steps before the NBA. Maybe 2/3/even 4? As people have said, if you were good enough to make millions in the NBA, why would you play streetball and make maybe a fraction of that?

Nuff Said
11-19-2015, 04:38 AM
Can't beat out basic fundamentals or worldly athleticism. Nba is cream of the crop. A lot of nba players can do the "streetball" game as well which is what a lot of them do in the offseason.

SpanishACB
11-19-2015, 06:37 AM
An NBA level talent is like one in a million. Though I don't live in the USA, here's what my perception of it is, at least for people who aren't ridiculously tall:
1) Take the best player from your high school team.
2) Put him in a team with all the other top high school players in your state.
3) Take the best player out of all of them.
4) Make a national team with these top players from each state - and take the top handful.
5) Even if they somehow manage to make it to the NBA, many of them will be bench warmers, some will completely fail, some will linger in the D-League.
6) A very select few will actually play decent minutes in the NBA.
7) Your result is a freak of coordination, athleticism and skill. Anything you can do, they can do better :banana:

So yeah, I'd imagine your average And1 talent comes in quite a few steps before the NBA. Maybe 2/3/even 4? As people have said, if you were good enough to make millions in the NBA, why would you play streetball and make maybe a fraction of that?

Some just go by with above average athletic ability, work and intelligence

Kobe_6/8
11-19-2015, 07:34 AM
Being a NBA player requires a unique set of talents and athletic potential. Being good at trickshots doesn't make somebody a NBA player.

To be competitive in the NBA, a player has to be tall. Iverson is 6 foot even, taller than most streetballers.