PDA

View Full Version : Yes, i'll say it. Curry will be a top 10 player of all time when it's all said & done

Fudge
11-19-2015, 01:49 AM
Who's stopping him?

If he keeps it up this year, this will probably be one of the best individual seasons EVER
1 MVP
1 NBA championship
Leader in 3pters made when it's all said and done
All-time great shooter
All-time great scorer

Single handedly changed how the game is played today

And he's only 27.

This is Curry's era. Deal with it.

stalkerforlife
11-19-2015, 01:50 AM
Better than Bran.

JohnFreeman
11-19-2015, 01:51 AM
The account switching and posting is such a meme

3ball
11-19-2015, 02:24 AM
Curry won't be anywhere near top 10 because voters know he would be a lesser player without the 3-point line in the 70's... Without the 3-point line, all the high efficiency threes at 44% (half his shots) would be low efficiency, long two's at 44%.

Long two's don't hurt a defense.. In the 70's, short guards that took a lot of long two's were considered dime-a-dozen gunners, not top players.. Curry is lucky the 3-point line turns him from low-efficiency gunner into a top player.

Also, his shots inside 15 feet would be far better contested in the 70's, since defenders didn't have to guard the 3-point line - that's why DRtg was literally 10 points lower in the 70's.

In the 70's, short gunners that can't dominate inside end up being World B Free and Maravich-level players, and those guys were actually better 2-point shotmakers than Curry.. But they were never considered the best player in the game or anywhere near, like Curry is now.. Again, today's spaced-out, 3-point friendly league is the only era where Curry would be a top player.

FKAri
11-19-2015, 02:26 AM
Curry won't be anywhere near top 10 because voters know he would be a lesser player without the 3-point line in the 70's... Without the 3-point line, all the high efficiency threes at 44% (half his shots) would be low efficiency, long two's at 44%.

Long two's don't hurt a defense.. In the 70's, short guards that took a lot of long two's were considered dime-a-dozen gunners, not top players.. Curry is lucky the 3-point line turns him from low-efficiency gunner into a top player.

Also, his shots inside 15 feet would be far better contested in the 70's, since defenders didn't have to guard the 3-point line - that's why DRtg was literally 10 points lower in the 70's.

In the 70's, short gunners that can't dominate inside end up being World B Free and Maravich-level players, and those guys were actually better 2-point shotmakers than Curry.. But they were never considered the best player in the game or anywhere near, like Curry is now.. Again, today's spaced-out, 3-point friendly league is the only era where Curry would be a top player.

Sound logic. I can't fault it. Let me add to it:
MJ wouldn't be anywhere near top 10 because voters know he would be a lesser player without basketball in the 1770's

Proctor
11-19-2015, 02:27 AM
Yes he will be. Defensively he's no lockdown defender but he is more offensively dynamic than Jordan.

TheBigVeto
11-19-2015, 02:29 AM
Great, you're jinxing him. Next thing you know he gets hurt.

Mr. Jabbar
11-19-2015, 02:31 AM
The torch is in good hands guys. Durant and Lebron went to take the torch at the same time but they weren't strong enough to take it, didn't read the small letter (*whoever picks the torch must have a positive finals record).

Kobe is at peace right now, you can see him during games, ready to retire, HE KNOWS the torch its finally in good hands :bowdown: :bowdown:

Harison
11-19-2015, 02:31 AM
Doubt it. It will be hard for him to get into Top15, what to speak of Top10.

deja vu
11-19-2015, 02:32 AM
The torch is in good hands guys. Durant and Lebron went to take the torch at the same time but they weren't strong enough to take it, didn't read the small letter (*whoever picks the torch must have positive finals record).

Kobe is at peace right now, you can see him during games, ready to retire, HE KNOWS the torch its finally in good hands :bowdown: :bowdown:
You're funny man.

FKAri
11-19-2015, 02:33 AM
The torch is in good hands guys. Durant and Lebron went to take the torch at the same time but they weren't strong enough to take it, didn't read the small letter(*whoever picks the torch must have positive finals record).

Lebron and Durant both chased for it and ran into each other like two outfielders going for a catch. Durant ended up breaking his foot and Lebron broke his jumpshot.

warriorfan
11-19-2015, 02:34 AM
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/vPIgTuQM2gk/hqdefault.jpg

Mr. Jabbar
11-19-2015, 02:34 AM
Lebron and Durant both chased for it and ran into each other like two outfielders going for a catch. Durant ended up breaking his foot and Lebron broke his jumpshot.

DAMN :oldlol:

Mr. Jabbar
11-19-2015, 02:36 AM
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/vPIgTuQM2gk/hqdefault.jpg

I knew Kevin didn't have what it takes when his mom won MVP

deja vu
11-19-2015, 02:36 AM
The Passing of the Torch

Mikan -> Russell -> Kareem -> Bird/Magic -> Jordan -> Shaq -> Duncan -> Kobe -> Curry

Am I right?

Monta Ellis MVP
11-19-2015, 02:41 AM
As a few of you may have already heard I am a Big Time Pacers fan and also an Ex-Fan of OKC as well. For a few years we really did think the torch was going to get passed to Kevin Durant. We were skeptical at first when he came into the league looking freakishly weak and couldn't even bench 185 pounds one time. Durant then was able to start scoring and giving us hope even though it didn't translate to wins. For the first years of Durant's career many basketball writers thought he was a negative impact player. Once Westbrook started asserting himself more, Durant was there to follow and became a great player. Durant then was finally there in the big show and he he had it all, a fellow top 5 team mate in Westbrook, a DPOY caliber big man Ibalka, elite wing defender Sefolosha, and James Harden coming off the bench! That team was stacked and we thought it was our year. KD couldn't get it done however, he has the skills but he doesn't have the fortitude to be the best. Like that one famous SI cover, he has been 2nd his whole life, he doesn't know how to be 1st. Now Steph Curry is the best player in basketball.

24-Inch_Chrome
11-19-2015, 02:46 AM
Doubt it.

SHAQisGOAT
11-19-2015, 03:03 AM
Definitely one of the very great ones I think... But top10 all-time player? I HIGHLY doubt it, not even that close tbh...

Why the **** do you keep bringing up the 70s and whatnot, though? Ofc that Curry would've been less impactful without the 3pt-line or playing in handcheck/more physical era, ofc that Pistol Pete would've been MUCH better fitted to play in this era... It ain't hard to tell. Curry would've been an ATG regardless though, so downplaying him to that level is just pointless imho.

Short gunners who can't dominate inside?!
World B Free's bread-n-butter was that high-arching jumper AND his driving skills with the ability to finish inside and go to the line a lot. He was 2x 2nd in the league in scoring on pretty good efficiency, that's what he was, a scorer, a damn good one.. He wasn't good on defense, he wasn't that good of a team player nor even that good of a passer (clearly worse than Curry at both), he didn't care about defensive rebounding, wasn't a great leader, wasn't known to be a clutch performer...
And Maravich was close to 6'6 w/o shoes on, how the **** is that short? Plus, he could post-up and had a whole LOT of tricks in the bag in terms of finishing inside. You can definitely say he was playing in the wrong era but his overall intangibles were at BEST average for the most part. Comparing their some parts of their overall games without bringing what-ifs... Curry is a better team player than Maravich, he's better at finding the balance between scoring/passing, he picks his shots better, he knows how to tone down all the flashy stuff better or use it more effectively and in more appropriate situations... All those "things" are very important also. Oh, and let's not forget that Pistol Pete once finished 3rd in MVP voting (underrated season), only behind peak Kareem and prime Walton.
Not to mention that Curry has great ball-handling skills and plenty of crazy-ass layups/floaters...

SaltyMeatballs
11-19-2015, 03:06 AM

Oh my god, a 3ball post without a mention of MJ?! Is this real life??

RRR3
11-19-2015, 03:31 AM
He got it back. 9 threes last two games :banana:

Fudge
11-19-2015, 03:40 AM
The Passing of the Torch

Mikan -> Russell -> Kareem -> Bird/Magic -> Jordan -> Shaq -> Duncan -> LeBron -> Curry

Am I right?
Kobe's never had it.

But for the most part, you were right.

Naero
11-19-2015, 03:56 AM
Curry is going to need to build some semblance of a good defensive legacy in order to make a strong case, as that is half of the game—even if the intangibles are far from the most glorified aspects of it.

All top-10 players have made at least an upper-mid-tier impact on both ends of the floor, and the only consensually top-10 player that didn't have any defensive accolades—or an indisputable prowess on it, for those whose tenures predated the institution of defensive accolades—aside from Magic Johnson; even for them, the defensive-win-shares metrics (http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_1982_leaders.html) don't resonate to me that he was a liability on that end to the point where it considerably detracts away from his legendary offensive contributions.

That being said, many overlook how much Curry has improved on that end, and it would be a shame if first-impression preconceptions prevent him from earning All-NBA Defensive Team selecteeships even if he earns them. He has noticeably improved on that end to anyone administering the eye test, and while I wouldn't use any singular defensive-metric stat as the be-all, end-all, he has been creeping into them, as he has been in the top-three for most of the defensive metrics among his teammates—on one of the best defensive teams in the league, I might add.

Kovach
11-19-2015, 04:02 AM
Sound logic. I can't fault it. Let me add to it:
MJ wouldn't be anywhere near top 10 because voters know he would be a lesser player without basketball in the 1770's
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Nuff Said
11-19-2015, 04:32 AM
What's with all this defensive talk? Curry has figured out the formula to win. He need not change a single thing about his game because he's reached the epitome of it. He's not a liability on the defensive end like harden either. It's like asking Bill Russell to score more. Bitch I just won 11 rings I know what I'm doing.

Marchesk
11-19-2015, 04:56 AM
What's with all this defensive talk? Curry has figured out the formula to win. He need not change a single thing about his game because he's reached the epitome of it. He's not a liability on the defensive end like harden either. It's like asking Bill Russell to score more. Bitch I just won 11 rings I know what I'm doing.

Yeah but we're talking becoming a top 10 player all-time, and that's a really crowded field already with guys like Oscar, M. Malone and Dr J just missing out.

If you think Curry is going to end with a better career than those three, then we have to think about who in the current top 10 he's going to be pushing out. Hakeem? Kobe? Shaq?

Deuce Bigalow
11-19-2015, 04:58 AM
Could kick Wilt out with 3 rings tbh

Nuff Said
11-19-2015, 05:02 AM
Yeah but we're talking becoming a top 10 player all-time, and that's a really crowded field already with guys like Oscar, M. Malone and Dr J just missing out.

If you think Curry is going to end with a better career than those three, then we have to think about who in the current top 10 he's going to be pushing out. Hakeem? Kobe? Shaq?
If he ends up leading his team to 4-5+rings and continuing this high level of play is easily throw him in top 10 based purely off his offense. If the Warriors needed his defense, who's to say he wouldn't improve on it? I think his ceiling is definitely top 10 if he stays exactly the same he is now.

Marchesk
11-19-2015, 05:05 AM
If he ends up leading his team to 4-5+rings and continuing this high level of play is easily throw him in top 10 based purely off his offense. If the Warriors needed his defense, who's to say he wouldn't improve on it? I think his ceiling is definitely top 10 if he stays exactly the same he is now.

Maybe. We'll see if he can keep this sort of thing up over an entire season and get another MVP. I would still put my money on Durant being the best bet for top 10 player (of current players not already there), but he's got to be able to stay healthy.

dabigbaws
11-19-2015, 05:12 AM
Durant is the best player in the league by some margin.

Nuff Said
11-19-2015, 05:28 AM
I also had Durant as the most impactful player but his health is starting to be an issue now.

buddha
11-19-2015, 06:06 AM
man.. if all the lebron stans hop on Curry..

AnaheimLakers24
11-19-2015, 06:32 AM
1/1 > 0/1

GIF REACTION
11-19-2015, 06:35 AM
anaheimlakers doesn't wash his hands after using the restroom

Paul George 24
11-19-2015, 06:55 AM
Who's stopping him?

If he keeps it up this year, this will probably be one of the best individual seasons EVER
1 MVP
1 NBA championship
All-time great shooter
All-time great scorer

And he's only 27.

BANDWAGON FANS :lol

r0drig0lac
11-19-2015, 06:56 AM
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Paul George 24
11-19-2015, 06:57 AM
Better than Bran.
NEITHER CURRY,BRAN ARE TOP 10.

GoSpursGo1984
11-19-2015, 07:00 AM
Durant is the best player in the league by some margin.

http://media.giphy.com/media/13jghlUIB6FHZm/giphy.gif

dhsilv
11-19-2015, 08:29 AM
Just needs to be mentioned but 27 isn't that young, especially for a point guard.

HOoopCityJones
11-19-2015, 09:16 AM
man.. if all the lebron stans hop on Curry..

Only a matter of time. All the Durant stans and some of the Kobe faithful have already jumped ship.

SouBeachTalents
11-19-2015, 09:23 AM
God damn, can this dude reach at LEAST two MVP's or titles, hell have even 1 good Finals performance before crowning him top 10 all time

HOoopCityJones
11-19-2015, 09:41 AM
God damn, can this dude reach at LEAST two MVP's or titles, hell have even 1 good Finals performance before crowning him top 10 all time

Lebron didn't have to, some dudes such as your fan base down in Miami were already crowning him Top 10 after his first Finals victory.

Marchesk
11-19-2015, 09:54 AM

No worries, he'll be set to pass Jordan in another 20 games.

houston
11-19-2015, 10:22 AM
I don't see it curry is in that iverson/nash/kidd class of a player

GoatBoy
11-19-2015, 10:23 AM

There can't be any way in hell that you mean some of the stuff that you post :biggums:

ShawkFactory
11-19-2015, 10:26 AM
Lebron didn't have to, some dudes such as your fan base down in Miami were already crowning him Top 10 after his first Finals victory.
To be fair he already had 3 MVPs at that point, won the finals MVP, and had an absolutely phenomenal playoff run with one legendary performance and a couple that were near that status.

SouBeachTalents
11-19-2015, 10:27 AM

At least LeBron had multiple great seasons and was a 3x MVP & Finals MVP by that point. Curry's had one great season, and is 1/7th of the way through another one. Also, LeBron really didn't get top 10 consideration by most fans, or at least rationale ones, until his second title

Bankaii
11-19-2015, 11:10 AM
Maybe because 2012 was one of the greatest runs in history and he already had 3 MVPs and a top 5 all time peak, and even then no educated fan put him in the top 10.

By your logic pre-2009 Kobe wasn't top 20 right? No MVPs, no FMVPs, could barely make the playoffs, etc. Thank god for GOATsol saving his career:bowdown:

sd3035
11-19-2015, 11:19 AM
The Passing of the Torch

Mikan -> Russell -> Kareem -> Bird/Magic -> Jordan -> Shaq -> Duncan -> Kobe -> Durant - > Curry

Am I right?

Although brief, he had the torch

Orlando Magic
11-19-2015, 11:34 AM
Curry isn't a top 10 player all time. He isn't even top 2 in the ****ing league right ****ing now.

If the Warriors rattle off 4 straight titles and we get to see how they are without curry for stretches then we can start to talk about it maybe.... but probably not.

Those of you that think curry is going to end top 10 all time... are you sure there aren't 10 guys you'd pick over him to start a team all time with if your life depended in it and there was a gun to your head? I don't ****ing think so. And if your honest non trolling response is that there aren't 10 guys you'd take over him... well... you're a mouth breathing ****ing retard.

DMAVS41
11-19-2015, 12:42 PM
Easily could be...depends on how the next 7 years go of course. He'll need to have another 5 plus years after this year playing at an elite level.

Also depends on who is doing the ranking and what the focus is. If it's heavily MVP's and titles...Curry could shoot up the all time rankings very quickly.

He's gonna win MVP again this year barring injury. So if he, at age 28 going into next season has;

2 titles
2 MVP's
1 finals MVP

And something like....career regular season averages of 22/4/7 61%TS and career playoff averages of 27/4/7 60% TS...

Yea... on his way to the top 10 if he has 5 or 6 more years on the level of his career averages. Longevity really matters though imo, and this is really only Curry's 4th year as an all nba or better type player. Tons of guys in history have had 12 plus years of that...

riseagainst
11-19-2015, 12:44 PM

:lol
:roll:

Gus Hemmingway
11-19-2015, 02:16 PM
Curry > dog shit > Prime Kobe

WARRRRRIORRRRRRSSSSS :cheers:

Mass Debator
11-19-2015, 02:21 PM
:roll:

SouBeachTalents
11-19-2015, 02:22 PM
Although brief, he had the torch

Lol, I'd love to hear an argument for Durant having the "torch" over LeBron from '12-'14

ShaqTwizzle
11-19-2015, 02:34 PM

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c221/1llhill/Mobile%20Uploads/Michael-Scott-Closes-The-Door-Awkwardly-On-The-Office_zps54021bf8.gif

3ball
11-19-2015, 02:35 PM

Long two's don't hurt a defense.. In the 70's, short guards that took a lot of long two's were considered dime-a-dozen gunners like World B Free and Maravich, not top players.. Curry is lucky the 3-point line turns him from low-efficiency gunner into a top player.

Also, his shots inside 15 feet would be far better contested in the 70's, since defenders didn't have to guard the 3-point line - that's why DRtg was literally 10 points lower in the 70's.. Again, today's spaced-out, 3-point friendly league is the only era where Curry would be a top player.

Why the **** do you keep bringing up the 70s?

Ofc that Curry would've been less impactful without the 3pt-line or playing in handcheck/more physical era

The 70's are CRUCIAL to our analysis - how can Curry be top 10 all-time, when he wouldn't even be top 10 in the 70's?

THAT'S why I bring up the 70's

tmacattack33
11-19-2015, 03:22 PM
Who's stopping him?

1 MVP
1 NBA championship
All-time great shooter
All-time great scorer

And he's only 27.

He's only 27???

That is actual late for a super-star player to be starting his super-star level of play.

Usually any top 15 GOAT level player is a super-star by age 24. And recently, this number can even be said to be age 22.

Let's look at the most recent GOATS:

Duncan - super-star at age 21 in 1999
Kobe - super-star at 21 in 2001
Garnett - super-star at age 21 or so in 2002
Lebron - super-star at age 20 in 2005
Wade - super-star at age 23 in 2006
Durant - super-star at age 22 in 2012

*these numbers are just off the top of my head and i might be off one or two years.

GoatBoy
11-19-2015, 03:45 PM
The 70's are CRUCIAL to our analysis - how can Curry be top 10 all-time, when he wouldn't even be top 10 in the 70's?

:wtf:

You're saying Curry should adapt a play style that would work in the 70's, while he is dominating in 2015/16?

I bet Kerr, Dell, and Nash get on him every day for being amazing in the current NBA, but telling him how much he would suck in the 70's.

Pick it up, son :hammerhead:

SHAQisGOAT
11-19-2015, 04:48 PM

Why wouldn't he be though? :confusedshrug: Even without the 3pt-line, even with legit handchecking, even with more physicality/less star-treatment...
He'd definitely be worse, yea, but not to that extent you're taking it to, so just stop...

What PG's better than Steph would there be?
Oscar left his prime when entering the 1970s, then retired in 1974.
West moved to more of a PG in the 1970s but wasn't in his prime anymore by 1973, retired in 1974.
Tiny had a couple of great years then suffered a severe injury never being quite the same again, and a couple of year later suffered another severe injury that really made him fall off hard in his level of play.
You had Frazier who could be picked over Steph.
Jo Jo White wasn't quite as good as Curry.

Speaking of peaks for PG's in the 1970s, Steph at his very best could've been borderline top3... Prime Curry could've been even the best PG in the league in some seasons...

Besides those PG's, at some point or another in the 1970s, you had prime Kareem, prime Bill Walton, prime Dr J, prime Hondo and prime Barry, McAdoo at his best, prime Hayes and prime Cowens, prime Gervin and David Thompson in the late 1970s, Moses coming to his own by 1978, you had Pistol Pete, peak Westphal (underrated)... Not all at once nor all through the decade, ocf.
I'd say Curry could've definitely been top10 overall for the decade (with consistent play and longevity) and at least top5 at his best in some given years.

I see Curry being something of a mix between Pistol Pete and Gail Goodrich, with that Jerry West/Calvin Murphy pure jumpshot... But definitely better than Gail, and - at his very BEST - around peak Maravich's level... And Gail was once all-NBA 1st, while Maravich was once 3rd in MVP voting only behind peak Kareem and prime Walton.
Now, Curry isn't as big as Maravich nor does he have Pistol's post-game and inside moves/footwork, but he's EVEN a better shooter, he also got them great handles, he's a better ball-thief, he's better at finding the balance between scoring/passing, better team player, picks his shots better, keeps it flashy but not quite as unnecessary flashy, plays with more effort towards the W... And let's not act like can't finish inside :rolleyes:

Achilleas
11-19-2015, 05:31 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/***-m75XAAADPlW.jpg

3ball
11-19-2015, 06:18 PM
Why wouldn't he be though? :confusedshrug: Even without the 3pt-line, even with legit handchecking, even with more physicality/less star-treatment...

He'd definitely be worse, yea

If you agree that Curry would "definitely" be worse, then what are we arguing about???.... If he's "definitely" worse... than he isn't top 10, and that's my whole argument..

And if he isn't top 10 in the 70's, than how could he be top 10 all-time?... It's the dumbest, most ignorant shit from a bunch of dumb fans that I've ever heard.

Why wouldn't he be though?

Are you dense - half his shots go from the highest efficiency shot in the game (a Curry 3-pointer at 44%), to the lowest efficiency shot in the game (a long two at 44%) - so that makes him a materially worse player.

Quit playing dumb.

Even without the 3pt-line, even with legit handchecking, even with more physicality/less star-treatment...
He'd definitely be worse, yea, but not to that extent you're taking it to, so just stop...

If you think Curry's current 2-point shotmaking ability matches ANY of the point guards you listed, then you don't know basketball - in the 70's, guards more were adept 2-point shotmaking BECAUSE THEY HAD TO BE - there was no 3-pointers or spacing - tough 2-pointers is all they had.

Otoh, half of Curry's shots are outside of 24 feet - there is NO WAY he can make 2-pointers like the PG's you listed.. It isn't just some simple adjustment, where Curry can go from taking long jumpshots his whole life to bumping and grinding inside for tough 2-pointers - it's ludicrous.

Doranku
11-19-2015, 06:25 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll: Underrated post

ShaqTwizzle
11-19-2015, 06:33 PM
Comparing players across eras especially multiple eras is always an act of intense speculation.

We don't know how good Wilt or even Jerry West would be today.
We don't know how good Jordan would be in the 60's or even today.
We can only speculate.

Since the shot-clock era the league has had the 3pt shot in 37/61 years 61%.

Assuming Curry wouldn't be dominant in other eras is illogical.
Perimiter defense in the 60's didn't always look that great or physical and guys were still getting off two handed set shots.
You telling me Curry wouldn't feast in that fast paced shot happy era with often weak defense?
Look at what Sam Jones did back then... and he was mainly a pure shooter if I am not incorrect.

80's and 90's had the 3pt shot.
Reggie Miller in the 90's playoffs had a 32-ppg on 69%TS series against the Prime Ewing led Knicks (great defensive team) and many other big series/games but Curry would be bad?

Your whole anti-Curry argument seems based around the idea that he "might not" be as good in the 70's.
Stupid. Just stupid.

3ball
11-19-2015, 06:44 PM
Assuming Curry wouldn't be dominant is illogical.

Anytime that HALF a player's shots are transformed from the most efficient shot in the game, to the least efficient shot, the only logical assumption is that the player becomes much worse.

But keep delusing yourself... It's a free country.

You telling me Curry wouldn't feast on the weak defense?

No, because it's factually incorrect to say the defense was weaker - DRtg was 10 points lower in the 70's because there was no 3-point line, so defenders contested 2-pointers better.

The more congested, tougher scoring environment coupled with the FAR greater physicality would break Curry... Good thing he isn't one of those fragile players that gets hurt every year... Oh wait.. :rolleyes:

Reggie Miller in the 90's playoffs had a 32-ppg on 65%TS series against the Prime Ewing led Knicks (great defensive team) and many other big series/games but Curry would be bad?

Was Miller even a top 15 player in the 90's?... Again, today's era is the only era where Curry would be a top tier player.

See, I just systematically DESTROYED every one of your delusional points.

ShaqTwizzle
11-19-2015, 06:55 PM
Anytime that HALF a player's shots are transformed from the most efficient shot in the game, to the least efficient shot, the only logical assumption is that the player becomes much worse.

Curry's current 2pt FG% is much higher then Jordan's best.

Curry 2pt FG% = 59%
Jordan average = 51%

No, because it's factually incorrect to say the defense was weaker - DRtg was 10 points lower in the 70's

That comment was clearly about the 60's.

Was Miller even a top 15 player in the 90's?

Pretty sure he was.
Miller in general is underrated imo.
Was the leader of 1 out of 2 teams that pushed the Jordan led Champ Bulls to 7 games.

Again, today's era is the only era where Curry would be a top tier player.

I see no reason to believe that.
If Miller could do what he did in the 90's and other less talented and less athletic versions of Curry were able to put up big stats in the late 80's.

I think Curry is more talented/capable then those guys so he would be one of the top players back then.

3ball
11-19-2015, 07:09 PM
Curry's current 2pt FG% is much higher then Jordan's best.

Curry only takes ten 2-pointers per game, compared to 25 per game for Jordan.

Clearly, Curry must wait for higher efficiency two-pointers - he wouldn't be able to attempt most of MJ's shots..

It's ridiculous that I have to explain basic tenets of the game to you, like MJ being a better 2-point shooter than Curry.. It's an indication of how dumb your arguments are compared to mine.

That comment was clearly about the 60's.

You're just skipping the 70's in your analysis???... That's dumb and kills any argument you have.

DRtg was 10 points lower in the 70's because there was no 3-point line, so defenders contested 2-pointers better.

The more congested, tougher scoring environment coupled with the FAR greater physicality would break Curry... Good thing he isn't one of those fragile players that gets hurt every year... Oh wait..

ShaqTwizzle
11-19-2015, 07:19 PM
Curry only takes ten 2-pointers per game, compared to 25 per game for Jordan.

Jordan was typically at 20-21 per game not 25.
Just sayin.

Even in terms of raw FG% Curry is at 52%.
Jordan only has 3 seasons where he was 1-2% better and the rest were below it.

Curry would still be averaging 28.5-ppg on 52%FG / 92%FT without the 3pt shot.
That is still amazing efficiency and elite volume.

You're just skipping the 70's in your analysis???

I am still uncertain about it so I am holding off for now.
I haven't agreed or disagreed.

tmacattack33
11-19-2015, 08:16 PM
I'm not sure why you guys even bother trying to imagine how player X from 2015 would do in 1975.

That would require a time machine.

And are you just talking about how Curry would do with the 1970 rules? Or are you trying to imagine him playing against those 1970 players too?

Because if you go that far, you'll have to imagine that Curry had the same training and nutrition as those players in 1970...would he then be the same super-star? :confusedshrug: How about Lebron? :confusedshrug:

So F all of that, trying to figure that is impossible and pointless. All I know is that Steph Curry was born in 1988 and his circumstances lead him to Davidson and then Golden State, where he went from a decent rookie to a star to the super-star that he is today.

SHAQisGOAT
11-19-2015, 09:05 PM
If you agree that Curry would "definitely" be worse, then what are we arguing about???.... If he's "definitely" worse... than he isn't top 10, and that's my whole argument..

And if he isn't top 10 in the 70's, than how could he be top 10 all-time?... It's the dumbest, most ignorant shit from a bunch of dumb fans that I've ever heard.

Are you dense - half his shots go from the highest efficiency shot in the game (a Curry 3-pointer at 44%), to the lowest efficiency shot in the game (a long two at 44%) - so that makes him a materially worse player.

Quit playing dumb.

Otoh, half of Curry's shots are outside of 24 feet - there is NO WAY he can make 2-pointers like the PG's you listed.. It isn't just some simple adjustment, where Curry can go from taking long jumpshots his whole life to bumping and grinding inside for tough 2-pointers - it's ludicrous.

Sure :rolleyes: Dude just won MVP, led his team to a title, has a great case for best in the league right now BUT being worse means he wouldn't EVEN be top10 in the 1970s?!
:wtf:
I've mentioned afterwards that he wouldn't be as worse to the extent you were making it out to be... But you just didn't pay it no mind...

Why the hell do you always take my quotes out of context though, only posting selected parts?
:biggums:
You look like some of those gossip corny-ass magazines, breh.

I'm the one playing dumb? Nikka please :oldlol:
Curry can pick his shots, he's a high IQ player... If he came up in those days he'd still be a terrific shooter but probably would've done it more times closer to the basket, while probably even being better from mid and on the inside. And, again, Curry's also extremely good at driving and scoring inside, he has them handles and crazy-ass layups/floaters... Get real.

You also act like people didn't even shoot or knew how to do so in those days :rolleyes: Steph could've kept defenders on their toes due his shooting prowess, then just drove to the hoop when he had the chance... Sounds familiar? Yea, sorta like he does today...

-What did Jerry West do on offense? Yea, dude was making it rain with that terrific, very quick jumper, driving when he needed to, while also showing his great passing skills... We all know how good he was and what he accomplished.
-Gail Goodrich was like 6'2, 175 lbs, mostly a jump-shooter... Once averaged 25.9 PPG on 48.7/85.0, once made 1st all-NBA... Wasn't as big or athletic as Steph, not quite as good of a pure shooter or ball-handler, probably couldn't pass as well as Curry.
-Look at what 5'9 Calvin Murphy was able to do with terrific shooting ability (and more).
-'Downtown' Fred Brown was a 6'3 gunner, who used to shoot out to (nowadays) 3pt-range... Once averaged 23.1 PPG on 48.8% FG, in only 33 minutes... Terrific shooter but not quite as good as Curry, couldn't pass like Steph, wasn't that type of ball-handler or shooter of the dribble.
-How about Pete Maravich? Will talk about it more below.

Again, in the 1970s I can see Curry being sort of a mix between Goodrich and Maravich, with that Jerry West/Calvin Murphy pure jumpshot... While he would've been at peak Maravich level or so (with bit different play though), who was 3rd in MVP voting once only behind peak Kareem and prime Walton.

I'm the one who doesn't know basketball? :oldlol:
You say that launching 24-foot shots was detrimental in those days and whatnot... Then you go around and mention Pistol Pete? :rolleyes: Maravich was out there bombing away from way deep (especially/mostly in his early days and in college), and that dude was playing WITHOUT the 3pt-line... Again, once was 3rd in MVP voting only behind peak Kareem and prime Walton... And I've already mentioned some of the "differences" between his game and Steph's.

in the 70's, guards more were adept 2-point shotmaking BECAUSE THEY HAD TO BE - there was no 3-pointers or spacing - tough 2-pointers is all they had.

You realize you just bodied yourself? Thanks for proving my point :lol

FKAri
11-19-2015, 10:01 PM
I want to see 3ball attempt to defend himself here

Cold soul
11-19-2015, 10:08 PM
Top 10 will be crazy difficult for him to reach his best bet is somewhere between top 20-30.

24-Inch_Chrome
11-19-2015, 10:25 PM
Top 10 will be crazy difficult for him to reach his best bet is somewhere between top 20-30.

This is where I see him finishing. Dude has a lot left to do to even equal a guy like D-Wade, who seems to be regularly placed around 25th.

ShawkFactory
11-19-2015, 11:22 PM
[B]

Why the hell do you always take my quotes out of context though, only posting selected parts?
:biggums:

Have you never engaged 3ball before? :lol

Literally just today he changed my entire quote to something he completely made up and argued against that :roll:

bdreason
11-19-2015, 11:32 PM
He's gonna need 2 more MVP's and 2 more titles to even enter the conversation. Not saying it isn't possible, but highly unlikely.

3ball
11-20-2015, 12:50 AM
in the 70's, guards more were adept 2-point shotmaking BECAUSE THEY HAD TO BE - there was no 3-pointers or spacing - tough 2-pointers is all they had.

You realize you just bodied yourself? Thanks for proving my point :lol

Again, Curry is an inferior 2-point shotmaker compared to the PG's you listed - it isn't just some simple adjustment where Curry can go from taking long jumpshots his whole life to bumping and grinding inside for tough 2-pointers - it's ludicrous.

So if Curry was dropped into the 70's as-is, his 2-point shotmaking ability would pale compared to his 70's peers.. It just isn't his game..

But I wouldn't expect you to understand - I expect you to think he could morph from a finesse-oriented long jumpshooter to a tough, rugged 2-point shotmaker.. That's how basketball works - players can just change how they play anytime they want.. :rolleyes:

Fudge
11-20-2015, 02:39 AM
Bump.

Fudge
12-02-2015, 09:59 PM
Bump

!@#$%Vectors!@#
12-02-2015, 10:04 PM
Bump

:cheers:

plowking
12-02-2015, 10:25 PM
Didn't take too long for it to become true.