PDA

View Full Version : The realization that the Lakers missed out on Porzingis/Okafor...

ClipperRevival
11-19-2015, 11:17 AM
...is starting to set in and it's depressing. To know that one of those guys could've been in a Laker uniform. :banghead: I try not to think too hard about it because it gets me depressed. But man, I still don't know what the fu*k the Lakers were thinking when they drafted Russell. I mean how could they NOT see his extremely heavy feet after those two workouts? That limits everything you do in basketball.

Only thing to hope for now is that he becomes a solid facilitator with a great shot. But superstar? No chance. Not with those heavy feet.

IMObjective
11-19-2015, 11:22 AM
I remember hearing before the draft that Byron wanted Russell, Mitch and Jim each wanted porzingis or okafor, can't remember which wanted which. There was also people like jalen rose screaming on tv "if the lakers don't pick this kid, my head is going to explode!".

ClipperRevival
11-19-2015, 11:33 AM
I remember hearing before the draft that Byron wanted Russell, Mitch and Jim each wanted porzingis or okafor, can't remember which wanted which. There was also people like jalen rose screaming on tv "if the lakers don't pick this kid, my head is going to explode!".

It just utterly blows my mind how they could not see his heavy feet in those two workouts. It's beyond belief. I mean these are professionals who should see the obvious. They got caught up in his confident demeanor, vision, passing and shooting touch i guess but ignored the most fundamental things. I remember Chad Ford saying he would take Porzingis. Wish he was the one drafting for us.

Gileraracer
11-19-2015, 11:49 AM
I like his 2.4 assists per game. That's extraordinary for a point guard.

JohnnySic
11-19-2015, 12:00 PM
Everyone makes mistakes. :confusedshrug:

gasolina
11-19-2015, 12:38 PM
Not sure if bait thread but will bite. Slow day in the office anyway.

What struck me the most was the amount of propaganda for D'Angeslow days leading and after the draft. I don't follow college basketball much but they made it appear this guy had Westbrook potential (maybe it was ISH, not the media) to justify the pick. These were in a matter of days when people have been talking about Okafor ever since they missed out on Wiggins.

I saw on reddit how there were people out there in the media whose job was to literally put together anecdotes from different articles to drive an agenda. All the while not contributing anything new, except for driving the hype 1000%. Basically clickbait news-worthy.

Makes you think how many people like that did the Lakers have on their payroll.

Derka
11-19-2015, 12:39 PM
I've never loved the notion of bitching in hindsight about draft picks. Every team goofs on their picks once in a while.

I would love to crucify the Celtics for taking Fab f*cking Melo with a 1st round pick in a draft that saw Draymond Green go in the 2nd round...but what's the point?

ClipperRevival
11-19-2015, 12:50 PM
I've never loved the notion of bitching in hindsight about draft picks. Every team goofs on their picks once in a while.

I would love to crucify the Celtics for taking Fab f*cking Melo with a 1st round pick in a draft that saw Draymond Green go in the 2nd round...but what's the point?

This is the 2nd overall pick, not some mid 1st rounder. My only gripe is his heavy feet. How can you draft a guy with such heavy feet? Russell is actually a very skilled player. If he had Zach Lavine type athleticism, he would be a superstar type talent. But he doesn't. And his heavy feet limits everything he does on the court. Basketball isn't played standing still. It is a free flowing game with a lot of movement. The better you can move and change directions and get to spots, the more you impact the game.

HenryGarfunkle
11-19-2015, 12:58 PM
They drafted a guy because of his passing prowess, which I thought was highly overrated to begin with. Can he pass? Sure... he's got some vision and ability.

But really his lack of athleticism just hurts. He has good size but his lack of athleticism almost negates that.

He won't be a game changer at all. lol @ the Lakers. :violin:

Russell is their Michael Kidd-Gilchrist

Genaro
11-19-2015, 12:59 PM
I'm not going to label him yet but yes it's looking bad right now and it's frustrating watch the other guys we could've had. I even avoid to watch Sixers (because they're a punching bag also) and Knicks' games.

The thing is: You don't gamble on a second overall pick. Specially when guards are so easy to find.

miggyme1
11-19-2015, 01:34 PM
I'm not going to label him yet but yes it's looking bad right now and it's frustrating watch the other guys we could've had. I even avoid to watch Sixers (because they're a punching bag also) and Knicks' games.

The thing is: You don't gamble on a second overall pick. Specially when guards are so easy to find.

Im not gone say all that. Good guards are still hard to come by. Its easier to find a 7 foot guy who can protect the rim.

gasolina
11-19-2015, 01:40 PM
That's the thing. The hype surrounding the pick was the game has evolved to a guard-heavy perimter oriented attack with passing / spacing that you can't pass up on the guy.

NBAplayoffs2001
11-19-2015, 01:52 PM
Not sure if bait thread but will bite. Slow day in the office anyway.

What struck me the most was the amount of propaganda for D'Angeslow days leading and after the draft. I don't follow college basketball much but they made it appear this guy had Westbrook potential (maybe it was ISH, not the media) to justify the pick. These were in a matter of days when people have been talking about Okafor ever since they missed out on Wiggins.

I saw on reddit how there were people out there in the media whose job was to literally put together anecdotes from different articles to drive an agenda. All the while not contributing anything new, except for driving the hype 1000%. Basically clickbait news-worthy.

Makes you think how many people like that did the Lakers have on their payroll.

A lot of his hype was very similar to James Harden in 2009. Not a great college athlete but a great college basketball. There were a few months early on in his freshman year that DeMar DeRozan was considered a better SG prospect. But like Mudiay, DeRozan slipped because of subpar college games and his lack of a decent handle (at the time). For that reason, Harden overtook the more hyped up DeRozan the year before college. Similarly here, Russell shined in the NCAA environment while Mudiay was doing meh/okay overseas in China.

fpliii
11-19-2015, 01:54 PM
I honestly don't mind passing on Okafor...call me a hater, but I'm not sold on a franchise big man who will never be a plus defender.

Porzingis might bite us in the ass though, but that was a risky pick.

GoatBoy
11-19-2015, 02:10 PM
Ugh, lakers ain't gonna be relevant again for a while :facepalm

bluechox2
11-19-2015, 02:11 PM
thanks lakers for making our decision easier

Gus Hemmingway
11-19-2015, 02:14 PM
Lakers taking L after L after L

:lol :lol :lol

outbreak
11-19-2015, 02:19 PM
Looks like arrogance. Only thing that makes sense is they thought lma was locked up. Russell may turn out ok but its just odd to pass up on big men with so much going for them for a guard who has limitations to over come.

choppermagic
11-19-2015, 02:38 PM
Hindsight is 20/20 so I can't be overly critical. But I'm pretty sure EVERY single team has periods where they "could have" drafted differently and come out better...

FKAri
11-19-2015, 02:45 PM
Way too early to feel like this man. The combination of the gap in their level of play + time they have played isn't large enough to merit it.

I honestly don't mind passing on Okafor...call me a hater, but I'm not sold on a franchise big man who will never be a plus defender.

Porzingis might bite us in the ass though, but that was a risky pick.

Okafor:
I'm not going to write off his defensive potential. He may not move like Willie-Caulie Stein and will have problems on the PnR but he's smart and he isn't a stiff. He can be a big plus as a traditional interior presence. It's just about stamina, effort and mental focus to get there. This guy is going to get better. Only worry is the motivation concerns. I hope the losing doesn't break him.

Porzingis:
He is really special. His combination of IQ, drive, and physical tools is incredible. Anyone who's been following him for a while has seen the staggering rate that his game has been improving at. The only doubts I have about him are injury concerns (this guy will be lucky to get past year 5 in the league) and whether he's too lanky.

ClipperRevival
11-19-2015, 02:50 PM
A lot of his hype was very similar to James Harden in 2009. Not a great college athlete but a great college basketball. There were a few months early on in his freshman year that DeMar DeRozan was considered a better SG prospect. But like Mudiay, DeRozan slipped because of subpar college games and his lack of a decent handle (at the time). For that reason, Harden overtook the more hyped up DeRozan the year before college. Similarly here, Russell shined in the NCAA environment while Mudiay was doing meh/okay overseas in China.

I laugh when people compare Harden to Russell because Harden has NBA level athleticism. Is he Westbrook/Lavine explosive? No. But he is athletic enough, has enough quickness and lightness of feet to excel at the NBA level. Russell is literally dragging his feet. It's cringeworthy watching the guy move around.

ClipperRevival
11-19-2015, 02:52 PM
Same with Curry. He has NBA level quickness and light feet. He can make sudden and quick moves to shake guys. This is something Russell doesn't possess.

Gus Hemmingway
11-19-2015, 02:54 PM
lol @ even comparing D'angelo to Curry... This guy is on the level of Eric Snow at BEST

Lakers stay losing :lol

WARIOOOOORSSSSS

NBAplayoffs2001
11-19-2015, 06:01 PM
I laugh when people compare Harden to Russell because Harden has NBA level athleticism. Is he Westbrook/Lavine explosive? No. But he is athletic enough, has enough quickness and lightness of feet to excel at the NBA level. Russell is literally dragging his feet. It's cringeworthy watching the guy move around.

Well I didn't bring that up. I watched Russells highlights for a few days earlier in May and felt the same way. He wasn't as athletic as Harden was in college. No one in this draft I think had Westbrook/Lavine explosiveness, although I would argue Mudiay has Wall like explosiveness (which is a tier lower than Westbrook/Lavine).

I've been saying from May that Russell is going to be an average starter in the NBA in his prime. I personally didn't think he had superstar written all over him like some of the writers and articles I read. It's not like Mudiay is much better but they tried to hype up the PGs this draft for more than they really were. Mudiay looked way more athletic in high school at times. Not sure if he held back in China.

no pun intended
11-19-2015, 06:09 PM
One word brothers: trust.

AnaheimLakers24
11-19-2015, 06:12 PM
It was the dumbass jim that wanted russ. Its on a episode of backstage lakers. Mitch wanted a big.

oarabbus
11-19-2015, 06:14 PM
I like his 2.4 assists per game. That's extraordinary for a point guard.

:roll: :applause:

Jameerthefear
11-19-2015, 08:07 PM
:roll: :applause:
:lol

wakencdukest
11-19-2015, 09:14 PM
That's the thing. The hype surrounding the pick was the game has evolved to a guard-heavy perimter oriented attack with passing / spacing that you can't pass up on the guy.

The thing is, a point guard has to be able to penetrate and draw defenses. If you can't get around anybody you're in trouble, all teams have to do is put a decent defender on you and they've taken you out of the game.

bobopenguin
11-19-2015, 09:19 PM
i hope Dangelo can turn into another D-Will.

still cant get use to Dwill's bald head. :facepalm

FKAri
11-19-2015, 09:21 PM
D'Angelo will get better. Trust.

dhsilv
11-19-2015, 09:25 PM
Okafor?

You got a guy with way more upside, but way more risk. Okafor is really a bad pick. It's a terrible pick by Hinkie if he isn't planning to just trade him (I assume he is). You got a guy who is in a weird place where he either never is physical enough for the nba or turns that corner and is a STAR. That is what you want with a pick that high in a draft with only 1 SURE thing. If he's a failure you're only set back a year and then you do it again (though I guess philly gets your pick)...you know maybe philly took the high flop likely guy to assure they get a better pic? lol

outbreak
11-19-2015, 09:27 PM
Okafor?

You got a guy with way more upside, but way more risk. Okafor is really a bad pick. It's a terrible pick by Hinkie if he isn't planning to just trade him (I assume he is). You got a guy who is in a weird place where he either never is physical enough for the nba or turns that corner and is a STAR. That is what you want with a pick that high in a draft with only 1 SURE thing. If he's a failure you're only set back a year and then you do it again (though I guess philly gets your pick)...you know maybe philly took the high flop likely guy to assure they get a better pic? lol

Okafor has things to work on but he is an NBA ready scorer. D'angelo has even more things to work on and has ZERO nba ready skills.

FKAri
11-19-2015, 09:30 PM
Okafor has things to work on but he is an NBA ready scorer. D'angelo has even more things to work on and has ZERO nba ready skills.

He's good off the pick and roll. He can shoot. He's just trying to navigate Byron Scott's maze.

outbreak
11-19-2015, 09:32 PM
He's good off the pick and roll. He can shoot. He's just trying to navigate Byron Scott's maze.
I think he becomes decent but he has more to over come than Okafor and it's stupid to try and rubbish another player who's looked good so far just to justify your own teams pick imo.

DoctorP
11-19-2015, 09:37 PM
...is starting to set in and it's depressing. To know that one of those guys could've been in a Laker uniform. :banghead: I try not to think too hard about it because it gets me depressed. But man, I still don't know what the fu*k the Lakers were thinking when they drafted Russell. I mean how could they NOT see his extremely heavy feet after those two workouts? That limits everything you do in basketball.

Only thing to hope for now is that he becomes a solid facilitator with a great shot. But superstar? No chance. Not with those heavy feet.

:lol

http://i.imgur.com/4zymBUZ.gif

noob cake
11-19-2015, 09:55 PM
Okafor?

18.8 PTS/7.5 REB/1.7 BLK on a D-League roster with literally no shooters when he is doubled on 70% of the possession. Can any of your morons calling Okafor a bad pick/bust/failure/low potential guy please point out another rookie in recent history who is getting doubled in the first 10 games of his rookie season?

Might I add that he is averaging more blocks than "defensive savant" Noel and has more nimble feet (look at him on offense and call him slow with a straight face) and better size (measurements don't lie) than Towns.

Give Okafor two years to get that NBA body. He will be feasting on both sides.

ClipperRevival
11-19-2015, 10:16 PM

Completely the opposite. Russell has the natural confidence, vision, feel for the game, handles and shot but his problem is he simply lacks NBA level athleticism. He would excel at almost any other level but to excel at the NBA as a PG, you need a certain level of suddenness/quickness to get by guys. You just can't excel at the NBA level with his heavy feet. He could be solid but not impactful where he is a star or superstar. It just means his ceiling is limited. But the guy is very skilled.

bobopenguin
11-19-2015, 10:18 PM

u know who else also good at PnR? and also tried to navigate BS's maze? J.Lin. and the guy's only 26.

hawksdogsbraves
11-19-2015, 10:19 PM
18.8 PTS/7.5 REB/1.7 BLK on a D-League roster with literally no shooters when he is doubled on 70% of the possession. Can any of your morons calling Okafor a bad pick/bust/failure/low potential guy please point out another rookie in recent history who is getting doubled in the first 10 games of his rookie season?

Might I add that he is averaging more blocks than "defensive savant" Noel and has more nimble feet (look at him on offense and call him slow with a straight face) and better size (measurements don't lie) than Towns.

Give Okafor two years to get that NBA body. He will be feasting on both sides.

It's very likely that Russell is never as good as Okafor is RIGHT NOW.

The pick made zero sense, I would never draft a PG that high unless he was a monster athlete like Rose, Wall, or Westbrook. The league is so flush with decent PG's right now, the Lakers could've easily signed one in the next off-season or two, plus they already had Clarkson who's a good PG prospect in his own right.

ClipperRevival
11-19-2015, 10:24 PM
I really had no problem with picking Russell. But when we picked him, I just assumed he had at least AVERAGE NBA level athleticism for a PG. But he is way below average. And that pretty much caps his ceiling very low. There is nothing more than this simple fact. I just can't believe "professional" scouts didn't see this after 2 workouts.

bobopenguin
11-19-2015, 10:27 PM
Completely the opposite. Russell has the natural confidence, vision, feel for the game, handles and shot but his problem is he simply lacks NBA level athleticism. He would excel at almost any other level but to excel at the NBA as a PG, you need a certain level of suddenness/quickness to get by guys. You just can't excel at the NBA level with his heavy feet. He could be solid but not impactful where he is a star or superstar. It just means his ceiling is limited. But the guy is very skilled.

seriously, this down play of Okafor is insane. the dude clearly showed he's legit. are u trying to tell us okafor has lesser potential ceiling height than russell at this stage?
why are u guys assuming Russell will get better and Okafor stays the same? okafor already given green light on offense, he's only gonna get better in future, while Russell is still busy building up his confidence.

outbreak
11-19-2015, 10:31 PM

Which is exactly what I said though, nothing he doesn't provide anything that is right now a positive for an NBA team. I know what you mean about him having good skills but to me an NBA ready player is someone who comes in and can contribute right away whereas Russell for all his skills isn't doing anything.

ClipperRevival
11-19-2015, 10:32 PM
seriously, this down play of Okafor is insane. the dude clearly showed he's legit. are u trying to tell us okafor has lesser potential ceiling height than russell at this stage?
why are u guys assuming Russell will get better and Okafor stays the same? okafor already given green light on offense, he's only gonna get better in future, while Russell is still busy building up his confidence.

I was replying to his statement that Russell had no skills. It's the opposite. He has skills. He just lacks athleticism.

I would take Okafor over Russell in a second. I would wet my pants if we could switch the picks right now.

ClipperRevival
11-19-2015, 10:38 PM
Which is exactly what I said though, nothing he doesn't provide anything that is right now a positive for an NBA team. I know what you mean about him having good skills but to me an NBA ready player is someone who comes in and can contribute right away whereas Russell for all his skills isn't doing anything.

Yeah, but for every NBA player that fails, there is a reason for it. Some lack skills, some lack athleticm or a combination of both. Russ has the skills, confidence and size, his only problem is he was cursed with extremely heavy feet and that pretty much caps his NBA ceiling. It's just that simple. So he isn't making an impact not due to a lack of skills but lack of athleticism.

FKAri
11-19-2015, 10:44 PM
Yeah, but for every NBA player that fails, there is a reason for it. Some lack skills, some lack athleticm or a combination of both. Russ has the skills, confidence and size, his only problem is he was cursed with extremely heavy feet and that pretty much caps his NBA ceiling. It's just that simple. So he isn't making an impact not due to a lack of skills but lack of athleticism.

He can't even become Steve Nash lite?

bobopenguin
11-19-2015, 10:44 PM

if so, how he pass LA's training camp is beyond me. some scouts need to be fired. didnt he participated the training camp twice?

JtotheIzzo
11-19-2015, 10:47 PM
The Lakers outsmarted themselves, I've said this before, they went small when there was a small vs big decision when teams traditionally erred on the side of size.
The idea was that it was turning into a guard league.

DUMB.

There are at any time 20 excellent PGs in the NBA, the Lakers could easily grab one in free agency, why not take a big?

ClipperRevival
11-19-2015, 10:52 PM
He can't even become Steve Nash lite?

Nope. Nash had light feet. He didn't possess sudden explosion but he was light on his feet. His calling card is to be a lights out shooter off the P&R with the midrange along with 3 point shooting but he will never be able to CONSISTENTLY break down set defenses like Nash was able to and create opportunities for his teammates.

It's so sad. His ceiling is so limited. Not just on offense but on D. His lack of athleticism translates to both ends. I think he can be a very good facilitator. But star or superstar? ZERO chance. It's just not possible with his heavy feet. Anyone who has played the game and understands knows this. It's so basic. Every Laker player knew this too after playing with Russell after the first few practices. He has extremely heavy feet.

sammichoffate
11-19-2015, 10:54 PM
D'angelo living rent free in everyones' heads. Lakers are tanking this year anyways, this year is lost. Everyone expects this guy to be Damian Lillard his first year when Lillard spent four years in college with a good team. Literally a D'angelo thread every other day, jesus. Come back around all-star break then maybe it'll sound like less whining.

ClipperRevival
11-19-2015, 10:55 PM
if so, how he pass LA's training camp is beyond me. some scouts need to be fired. didnt he participated the training camp twice?

I know you are a fellow Laker fan too. It really hurts me when I think about it. Of course there are more important things in life but to KNOW that Porzingis or Okafor could be in a Laker jersey right now hurts. I try not to think too deeply about it.

noob cake
11-19-2015, 11:07 PM
I know you are a fellow Laker fan too. It really hurts me when I think about it. Of course there are more important things in life but to KNOW that Porzingis or Okafor could be in a Laker jersey right now hurts. I try not to think too deeply about it.

Wasn't an illogical choice tbh. I understand the Lakers front office thought process.

The media/Towns camp went negative on Okafor. He was bashed relentlessly from December until the draft. Lakers weren't going to draft some white euro.

Naturally they had to draft Ru'slow.

Cold soul
11-19-2015, 11:17 PM

The kid is only 19 years old give him a brake already nobody knows how good he will be down the road 2-3 years give him a chance you might be right or wrong time will only tell. I think he will develop enough to be solid player in this league maybe good if you were expecting superstar or great player already well your expectations were way too high on this kid this early that's your mistake.

sammichoffate
11-19-2015, 11:18 PM
http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2015/11/19/9759568/la-lakers-dangelo-russell-emmanuel-mudiay-comparison

The difference between Mudiay and Russell isn't as big as people think, even though Mudiay is ahead due to higher usage rate, as well as experience overseas.

Cold soul
11-19-2015, 11:20 PM
http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2015/11/19/9759568/la-lakers-dangelo-russell-emmanuel-mudiay-comparison

The difference between Mudiay and Russell isn't as big as people think, even though Mudiay is ahead due to higher usage rate, as well as experience overseas.

Russell will be better than Mudiay I have little doubt about that.

ClipperRevival
11-19-2015, 11:22 PM
The kid is only 19 years old give him a brake already nobody knows how good he will be down the road 2-3 years give him a chance you might be right or wrong time will only tell. I think he will develop enough to be solid player in this league maybe good if you were expecting superstar or great player already well your expectations were way too high on this kid this early that's your mistake.

I see your patience view. Problem is, he went #2 overall in what was considered to be a good draft. I have maintained the same view about him. He won't be a bust. But his ceiling is limited. He will never be a star. If you are content with a #2 overall pick being just solid, that's fine. But that doesn't sit well with me. I wanted a high ceiling guy.

sammichoffate
11-19-2015, 11:26 PM
Russell will be better than Mudiay I have little doubt about that.http://hoopshabit.com/2015/11/18/dangelo-russell-good-company/
He's doing fine, people are wayyy overreacting because of Towns and Porzingis playing so damn well. I just wish everyone who shits all over him would give him at least a damn season before calling him a bust. There's 82 ****ing games in a season, we're on game 12 and people are already calling him a bust? :facepalm

Jameerthefear
11-19-2015, 11:31 PM

people aren't comparing him to mudiay. the issue is that okafor and porzingis are much better prospects and they were both in play and discussed at #2

Cold soul
11-19-2015, 11:34 PM
I see your patience view. Problem is, he went #2 overall in what was considered to be a good draft. I have maintained the same view about him. He won't be a bust. But his ceiling is limited. He will never be a star. If you are content with a #2 overall pick being just solid, that's fine. But that doesn't sit well with me. I wanted a high ceiling guy.

The only player we missed on up to this point is Porzingis and Towns was out of reach. I'm not sold on Okafor being nothing more than Al Jefferson with no D. Well some players peak early others are late bloomers later in their careers like I said time will only tell how good Russell really is. I'm not ready to give up on him just yet.

sammichoffate
11-19-2015, 11:39 PM
people aren't comparing him to mudiay. the issue is that okafor and porzingis are much better prospects and they were both in play and discussed at #2That's easy to say in hindsight, very few people thought that Porzingis would play this well other than the people who scout overseas and Phil. Okafor was just as good a prospect as Russell on draft night, the same people giving him shit in this forum are the ones who were hailing him as the next cornerstone of the franchise during the draft. Three weeks into the season and they're already giving him shit for how the other prospects' play? I call bullshit.

sammichoffate
11-19-2015, 11:41 PM
The only player we missed on up to this point is Porzingis and Towns was out of reach. I'm not sold on Okafor being nothing more than Al Jefferson with no D. Well some players peak early others are late bloomers later in their careers like I said time will only tell how good Russell really is. I'm not ready to give up on him just yet.^He's a rookie Point Guard playing in the Western Conference who's only had a year of college under his belt. People need to calm the **** down.

bobopenguin
11-19-2015, 11:56 PM
^He's a rookie Point Guard playing in the Western Conference who's only had a year of college under his belt. People need to calm the **** down.

bro, we could have landed cousins at the time!
no2 + either randle or JC + fillers. we actually had a chance!

sammichoffate
11-20-2015, 12:03 AM
bro, we could have landed cousins at the time!
no2 + either randle or JC + fillers. we actually had a chance!Show me the report where the Kings were dumb enough to actually consider accepting that trade offer.

bobopenguin
11-20-2015, 12:31 AM
Show me the report where the Kings were dumb enough to actually consider accepting that trade offer.

of course there were no report, cos it was never an official offer.
kings wanted no.2 + JC + randle, and we told them fk off.

if it's 2 out of these 3, i would do it.

outbreak
11-20-2015, 12:32 AM

if it's 2 out of these 3, i would do it.
I remember some people here mentioning it but I don't recall any official rumours of it being entertained

sammichoffate
11-20-2015, 12:35 AM

if it's 2 out of these 3, i would do it.It's a 50/50 because of Cousins's attitude problems. The Lakers would just be Kings Management 2.0 in the state they're in right now, and they would just lose him in free agency or trade him while his value is at its lowest. They didn't want a Dwight 2.0 problem again, wanted to build gradually instead.

DaOldLion
11-20-2015, 12:36 AM
^He's a rookie Point Guard playing in the Western Conference who's only had a year of college under his belt. People need to calm the **** down.

seriously this

bobopenguin
11-20-2015, 12:37 AM
I remember some people here mentioning it but I don't recall any official rumours of it being entertained

5 months ago – via Twitter MarkG_Medina
DeMarcus Cousins eyeing Laker move?
DeMarcus Cousins: League source familiar with Cousins’ thinking: “DeMarcus wants to be a Laker. It’s up to the two sides to make a deal.”

5 months ago – via Yahoo! Sports
Kings vice president of basketball operations Vlade Divac has pursued a possible deal that would include a bevvy of assets, including the Lakers’ No. 2 pick in Thursday’s NBA draft, rookies Julius Randle and Jordan Clarkson and other draft assets, league sources told Yahoo Sports. Sacramento also would want to unload the remainder of forward Carl Landry’s two years, $13.5 million contract, league sources said.

from *********

LakersForlife
11-20-2015, 12:41 AM
Ugh, lakers ain't gonna be relevant again for a while :facepalm
fuicking idiot they pair kobe with a beta porzingis was wide open

TheBigVeto
11-20-2015, 01:05 AM

Back then there was this prevailing idea in the Lakers that it didn't matter who they drafted (as long as he dark skinned), Kobe's gonna make him a HoFer.

Guess we all know how that's going to pan out considering Kobe's ability to make his team mates better.

dreamwarrior
11-20-2015, 01:38 AM
Well they needed a PG because they were set on Clarkson moving to SG. I'm hoping Russell pans out. He's still only 19 right? Yet at 19 according to sports science he can throw a basketball as hard as Lebron and has the keenest eyes of any PG they've measured.

OG LeeTSkeeT
11-20-2015, 02:57 AM
wonder how good russel woulda been in a sixers jersey.

Dr.J4ever
11-20-2015, 10:26 AM
To those who like to compare Okafor to Lopez, no I don't think so.

Oak is already averaging close to 20ppg, while Lopez(13ppg in 1st year) never cleared 20 until his 3rd year. BBrown is already telling him to improve on the boards and on defense, and we have already seen multiple games with 2 blocks, and one game with 15 boards, and other double doubles as well.

Just to repeat, Jah is nineteen(19). He will get stronger, and his offense will likely be even better, and his D will improve. He can shoot, guys. He has a good stroke at the FT line, which means he will eventually be a good mid range shooter. That's a sure thing. Once he does, he will easily be a 24ppg scorer nightly in a couple of years.

Lastly, he is doing all this without playing off of a Melo or a Rubio or a Wiggins. He is doing this with Dleague level PGs in an offensively challenged team.

Enough said.

Braincells
11-20-2015, 12:27 PM
To be fair, Russell would be beasting in New York or Philly. The situation in LA at the moment is terrible for him and the offense is too ISO heavy.

Despite being 8th in minutes, among rookies he is 5th is points, 4th in assists, tied for 4th in steals, 2nd in 3 pointers made, and tied for 11th in rebounding (2nd among rookie PGs).

Still has a baby's body. Needs to develop NBA frame. Will reassess bust status after 2 seasons.

Nastradamus
11-20-2015, 01:12 PM
Porzingis is a boss, but everyone was afraid of him at draft time. Okafor isn't that great. He's Al Jefferson.

Russell will be fine. He just needs the ball in his hands more. He runs a pick and roll very well. His shooting will come around as well.

Dr.J4ever
11-20-2015, 01:54 PM
Porzingis is a boss, but everyone was afraid of him at draft time. Okafor isn't that great. He's Al Jefferson.

Russell will be fine. He just needs the ball in his hands more. He runs a pick and roll very well. His shooting will come around as well.

In 2004-2005, Al Jefferson in his rookie season at 20 years old, averaged 6.7ppg. He never cracked 20ppg until his 4th season. Okafor at 19 is already close to 20ppg and he is showing off moves for a big man unseen for someone so young. It's not just with post moves too. Jah can take his man from 15 feet out, face up, and drive to the hoop with good handles.

And oh yeah, he has had no help offensively with guards being near dleague level quality. I wonder how Jah would play with a Rubio, for instance? Would Jah be able to take advantage of Carmelo Anthony's presence from the perimeter to form an inside-outside duo? The possibilities. But no, he has had to create his own offense with Philly, and paddle his own canoe.

Just for an accurate perspective.

gasolina
11-20-2015, 02:54 PM
People bashing Okafor for being an Al Jefferson, what do you think D'Angelo's potential is gonna be like?

FKAri
11-20-2015, 02:57 PM
People bashing Okafor for being an Al Jefferson, what do you think D'Angelo's potential is gonna be like?

Magic with a jumpshot

bluechox2
11-20-2015, 03:34 PM
Magic with a jumpshot
dont know how HIV will benefit his game?

BarberSchool
11-20-2015, 03:51 PM
http://hoopshabit.com/2015/11/18/dangelo-russell-good-company/
He's doing fine, people are wayyy overreacting because of Towns and Porzingis playing so damn well. I just wish everyone who shits all over him would give him at least a damn season before calling him a bust. There's 82 ****ing games in a season, we're on game 12 and people are already calling him a bust? :facepalmthis.

If D'Angelo can get his athleticism on a higher level, he can eventually develop into an elite player. He has a very good skill set for his size. He's a smart player. He has years to develop. Be patient people.

FKAri
11-20-2015, 03:51 PM
dont know how HIV will benefit his game?

Nash high-fived guys after EVERYTHING. Magic just was on another level than Nash. So he was buttfuccin guys. It was strictly for team bonding. It doesn't make it gay u weirdo.

BarberSchool
11-20-2015, 03:54 PM
D'Angelo has a ceiling of a really special hybrid player.....
Harden/Ginobili/Beasley all are visible trajectories for him.
If he decides to pop bottles and smoke all day....the PG Beasley.
If he stays smart and soaks up what veterans tell him....He can be Harden or Ginobili like.

ClipperRevival
11-20-2015, 06:43 PM
this.

If D'Angelo can get his athleticism on a higher level, he can eventually develop into an elite player. He has a very good skill set for his size. He's a smart player. He has years to develop. Be patient people.

That's the thing. You can't teach athleticism. Maybe he might get a tad more explosive by growing into his man bones and working with a professional trainer over the next few years but not by much. But the athleticism you were born with is pretty much what you are. Light feet, quickness, explosiveness, etc. You either have it or you don't.

Pointguard
11-21-2015, 01:21 PM
Magic with a jumpshot
Yes 54 year old Magic.

Hey Yo
11-21-2015, 01:24 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CUV6nu-WwAAVqJ4.jpg

Lakers Fan
11-21-2015, 02:43 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CUV6nu-WwAAVqJ4.jpg

Not a good photo. Looks like a 3 year old who dropped his ice cream

D-Wait