PDA

View Full Version : You discover an unmarked unclaime briefcase filled with large uncut stones of diamond

CavaliersFTW
11-19-2015, 03:56 PM
And I mean it is filled. The stones are large ones too, worth millions.

What do you do with it.

NumberSix
11-19-2015, 03:58 PM
And I mean it is filled. The stones are large ones too, worth millions.

What do you do with it.
Bring it to the Jews.

Jailblazers7
11-19-2015, 03:59 PM
Don't know. Keeping it is insanely tempting obvious but there are 2 problems: 1) it belongs to someone you don't want to cross and you are suddenly in the middle of a wrong place, wrong time crime movie and 2) I don't know how I would turn all of those diamonds into cash without raising suspicion.

Cocaine80s
11-19-2015, 04:00 PM
Buy the Cavaliers

BasedTom
11-19-2015, 04:01 PM
have lots of sex with lots of attractive women

oh the horror
11-19-2015, 04:02 PM
I actually would notify the authorities. There's no way that amount of diamonds isn't being looked for. And I don't want to be the asshole that gets found with them and didn't do the right thing.

And let's be honest. That's just bad karma to keep them

niko
11-19-2015, 04:03 PM
Give it to the police. I don't have anyway to fence that. Something worth a crapload of money with no buyer isn't worth anything, and searching for a buyer might get me robbed, or accused of stealing it.

I'd be afraid of bringing it to someone, them thinking "this shmuck stole it, he can't go to the police" and them killing me and taking it.

CavaliersFTW
Buy the Cavaliers
Who would you approach to make that transaction and with what?

Would you go up to Dan Gilbert and open the briefcase of diamond and say give me the team? Or would you try and sell the diamonds to get currency first?

UK2K
I actually would notify the authorities. There's no way that amount of diamonds isn't being looked for. And I don't want to be the asshole that gets found with them and didn't do the right thing.

Yep, turn it in.

Chances are if they have a package like that, they will throw you a finders fee.

If not, oh well, your life doesn't change.

Cocaine80s
11-19-2015, 04:05 PM
Who would you approach to make that transaction and with what?

Would you go up to Dan Gilbert and open the briefcase of diamond and say give me the team? Or would you try and sell the diamonds to get currency first?
Sell them

Start my own company

Buy Cavs 10 years from now when im a billionaire

CavaliersFTW
11-19-2015, 04:05 PM

Good point. But this is a briefcase FILLED with them.

Do you pocket one or two? Just one could make you a millionaire even if not immediately, down the road. Do you chance that they haven't all been weighed or counted?

KyrieTheFuture
11-19-2015, 04:06 PM
Is it really that different from finding buried bags of gold coins in your backyard? What happened to those people?

CavaliersFTW
11-19-2015, 04:06 PM
Sell them

Start my own company

Buy Cavs 10 years from now when im a billionaire
Who do you know that you can sell uncut diamonds too, and in large quantity?

I wouldn't even know where to begin with that.

NumberSix
11-19-2015, 04:09 PM
Who do you know that you can sell uncut diamonds too, and in large quantity?

I wouldn't even know where to begin with that.
What do you mean? Are you assuming they would have to be sold on the black market!

JohnnySic
11-19-2015, 04:09 PM
I would turn them in.

But I suppose you could stash them away for many years until the "heat" hopefully goes away...

CavaliersFTW
11-19-2015, 04:10 PM
Is it really that different from finding buried bags of gold coins in your backyard? What happened to those people?
It is very different from that actually.

Gold you can melt down into ingots. Claim it was originating from family jewelry, etc.

Diamond is more valuable, and the only thing that can alter the shape, mass and quantity is if a professional diamond cutter cuts them. There's no way to possess or attempt to get rid of diamond in large quantity the first world without being somewhat suspicious that I'm aware of. I'd almost think you'd have to do it in a 3rd world and sell at a huge loss, and possibly huge risk of your life to people who might want to take advantage of you to not alert some sort of authorities. But I have no clue really.

oh the horror
Good point. But this is a briefcase FILLED with them.

Do you pocket one or two? Just one could make you a millionaire even if not immediately, down the road. Do you chance that they haven't all been weighed or counted?

Where do you get the cash for one? Even if you pawn it off on some shady diamond dealer I suppose you can simply stuff the cash in a safe somewhere because there's no way to deposit a sudden large sum
Of money without suspicion.

I don't know man. I'd imagine any decent people would reward you for turning in a case full of diamonds without any missing.

bdreason
I'd take the biggest stone out, place it in a lockbox, and bury it. Then I'd bring the rest to the police.

Jailblazers7
11-19-2015, 04:11 PM
I'd at least keep some diamonds just so I would never have to buy an engagement ring, anniversary jewelry etc.

CavaliersFTW
11-19-2015, 04:12 PM
What do you mean? Are you assuming they would have to be sold on the black market!
I'm not assuming anything - I'm asking questions because I'm unaware what someone 'could' do in such a situation.

KyrieTheFuture
11-19-2015, 04:12 PM
It is very different from that actually.

Gold you can melt down into ingots. Claim it was originating from family jewelry, etc.

Diamond is more valuable, and the only thing that can alter the shape, mass and quantity is if a professional diamond cutter cuts them. There's no way to possess or attempt to get rid of diamond in large quantity the first world without being somewhat suspicious that I'm aware of. I'd almost think you'd have to do it in a 3rd world and sell at a huge loss, and possibly huge risk of your life to people who might want to take advantage of you to not alert some sort of authorities. But I have no clue really.
Except that's not what you have to do, this happens in real life and no one has to secretly melt down gold coins the dead of night. If you didn't steal them what's the issue? If I find a briefcase in my attic it's mine, if I find it on the street or in some bushes, it's not. Idk why you'd ever just pick up a random briefcase on the streets.

~primetime~
11-19-2015, 04:14 PM
I'd definitely try to keep it...no way in hell am I giving it to the police

might have to sit on it a decade though

sell it to a diamond buyer piece by piece

CavaliersFTW
11-19-2015, 04:15 PM
Except that's not what you have to do, this happens in real life and no one has to secretly melt down gold coins the dead of night.
Oh I get what you're saying - like you found it buried in your property kind of thing.

Well let's assume you didn't find it on your property. Let's assume you found it in some sort of public space. Could be a park, or a dump, or whatever.

NumberSix
11-19-2015, 04:17 PM
I'm not assuming anything - I'm asking questions because I'm unaware what someone 'could' do in such a situation.
Dude, you can walk into any jeweller's shop and sell them gold, diamonds, platinum, etc... There's nothing "suspicious" about selling diamonds. It's a perfectly legal thing to do.

CavaliersFTW
11-19-2015, 04:18 PM
Dude, you can walk into any jeweller's shop and sell them gold, diamonds, platinum, etc... There's nothing "suspicious" about selling diamonds. It's a perfectly legal thing to do.
Interesting.

So then I take it your plan would be to take the briefcase, and take a big stone (or handful? Or the entire case?) into a jeweler and say "I'd like to sell this/these".

Something like that?

KyrieTheFuture
11-19-2015, 04:19 PM
Oh I get what you're saying - like you found it buried in your property kind of thing.

Well let's assume you didn't find it on your property. Let's assume you found it in some sort of public space. Could be a park, or a dump, or whatever.
Why would you EVER pick up a random abandoned briefcase in a park? Why would a briefcase full of diamonds not be locked? This is a society that thinks clocks are bombs now, I guarantee you'd never just take home an abandoned briefcase.

niko
11-19-2015, 04:21 PM
Not loose and unprocessed with no paperwork on where you got them. :facepalm

CavaliersFTW
11-19-2015, 04:21 PM
Why would you EVER pick up a random abandoned briefcase in a park? Why would a briefcase full of diamonds not be locked? This is a society that thinks clocks are bombs now, I guarantee you'd never just take home an abandoned briefcase.
I can see a scenario where at least for me, I could see/be tempted to either report or take a briefcase and know what's inside of it.

I like to hike in rural parks a lot. If I was deep into a park way off unmarked trails and I see an old dirty looking briefcase already spilled open under the leaf litter and saw a bunch of white semi-translucent uncut diamond stones scattered about and half buried due to age (it all looks old) I might begin to contemplate what to do with it.

That's just me. Maybe other people would take or report a briefcase under different conditions. I guess it'd have to be open, and old looking, and in a very rural area for me to first get to this point. Others maybe not.

~primetime~
11-19-2015, 04:22 PM
I would probably pick up the family and move to Europe somewhere.

Get to know the local diamond dealers over a few years time...find one I trust

then slowly cash in

NumberSix
11-19-2015, 04:22 PM
Interesting.

So then I take it your plan would be to take the briefcase, and take a big stone (or handful? Or the entire case?) into a jeweler and say "I'd like to sell this/these".

Something like that?
Well, you're not being very specific. Did you steal these diamonds? Did you find them in your grandmas basement? How you got them matters.

KyrieTheFuture
11-19-2015, 04:23 PM
The real answer is start a diamond business and 3 years later just use the stones I found

CavaliersFTW
11-19-2015, 04:25 PM
Well, you're not being very specific. Did you steal these diamonds? Did you find them in your grandmas basement? How you got them matters.
The purpose of this thread is a moral dilemma. How you got them is either you don't get them at all, or you take something that is unmarked/unclaimed but clearly didn't belong to you. If you take it, it's up to you to figure out how to explain away or sell what you took. Right?

Under what conditions would you deem it acceptable to take one or two or an entire briefcase full of uncut diamond? I gave out my criteria a few posts back (in the middle of a rural park well off trails, and the case is already spilled open and very old looking)... that's when I'd contemplate what to do with it (report it, keep it/some, etc). Would you ever do something like that or no?

NumberSix
11-19-2015, 04:29 PM
Not loose and unprocessed with no paperwork on where you got them. :facepalm
What world do you live in? They're fcuking rocks. Where do you think they come from? They're naturally occurring. If you go outside and dig a hole, if you happen to find diamonds, they're yours to do whatever you want with.

CavaliersFTW
11-19-2015, 04:30 PM
I actually figured out exactly what I'd do. And I'm now confident I'd get away with it.

NumberSix
11-19-2015, 04:31 PM
I actually figured out exactly what I'd do. And I'm now confident I'd get away with it.
Get away with what? Selling rocks?

~primetime~
11-19-2015, 04:31 PM
if you took one rough diamond to a dealer to sell, they won't give a fck where you got it

if you took lots of them they might

CavaliersFTW
11-19-2015, 04:34 PM
Get away with what? Selling rocks?
I don't know man your scenario leaves an awful lot of room for suspicion you sure you can just drop a handful of huge uncut diamond onto a jewelers table and not have them ask "where'd you get those!?"

"NONE OF YOUR DAMN BUSINESS now buy them from me please"

I mean, that might work but like, I've no idea how the diamond industry works and that seems like it might set off some red flags.

~primetime~
11-19-2015, 04:37 PM
I don't know man your scenario leaves an awful lot of room for suspicion you sure you can just drop a handful of huge uncut diamond onto a jewelers table and not have them ask "where'd you get those!?"

I mean, that might work but like, I've no idea how the diamond industry works and that seems like it might set off some red flags.
it would

the original owners would murder your family

NumberSix
11-19-2015, 04:39 PM

Suspicion of what? Unless you got them illegally, what does it matter?

I can't give you a great answer unless you're going to tell me how you got them. If the answer is that you stole them, then it's simple. It's illegal to sell stolen property. If you are in legal possession of them, do whatever you want.

CavaliersFTW
11-19-2015, 04:42 PM
Well unless number six is correct I have the only answer that I think is totally acceptable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crater_of_Diamonds_State_Park

That is the only "public" diamond mine in the entire world. It has even produced the largest diamond ever found in the united states at 40 carats.

All visitors who find gemstones there, are allowed to keep them regardless of their value.

Make a trip down there, hell make 10. Just on one of those trips, "find" a 30 or 40 carat diamond.

There's a good chunk of money right there. From there I'm not sure what to do. But at least you'll get to pocket a bunch of money up front entirely free of suspicion from at least one stone.

CavaliersFTW
11-19-2015, 04:43 PM
Suspicion of what? Unless you got them illegally, what does it matter?

I can't give you a great answer unless you're going to tell me how you got them. If the answer is that you stole them, then it's simple. It's illegal to sell stolen property. If you are in legal possession of them, do whatever you want.
The moral dilemma of this thread must be going right over your head. It is a scenario deliberately designed to put you in a position of being tempted to take something that isn't yours.

Derka
11-19-2015, 04:44 PM
Give it to the police, no question.

1. While I have a few buddies back home who are into some criminal shit, none of them are remotely connected enough to know what to do with a suitcase full of millions of dollars worth of diamonds...nor would I trust them to know that I had such a thing in my possession.

2. That quantity of diamonds doesn't just fall from the sky; someone somewhere is looking for them. Chances are great that the person looking for them is not a person I'd want looking for me.

The only thing I'd ask for if a reward was offered by a legitimate enterprise..."Someday in the not too distant future, I'm asking this particularly amazing girl to marry me. I'd like one of those stones to go on her left ring finger. I'll be back to see you then."

~primetime~
11-19-2015, 04:46 PM
http://www.stargatecinema.com/images/magictoolbox_cache/3bf842518f40ca6b8a10b619b8e02daf/2/1/21882/thumb400x400/22174-04.jpg

^^^ true story about a dude who found $1 mill in the street

NumberSix
11-19-2015, 04:48 PM
The moral dilemma of this thread must be going right over your head. It is a scenario deliberately designed to put you in a position of being tempted to take something that isn't yours.
Ok, then it's simple. It's not yours. End of story.

The problem is you're not being specific enough. There are situations where if you find something, you have the legal right to keep it. There are situations where you don't have a legal right to keep it. This isn't an insignificant detail.

warriorfan
11-19-2015, 04:49 PM
shit thread

KevinNYC
11-19-2015, 05:00 PM
What world do you live in? They're fcuking rocks. Where do you think they come from? They're naturally occurring. If you go outside and dig a hole, if you happen to find diamonds, they're yours to do whatever you want with.
In what world do you live in? How many diamond mines are near Ohio? If you're dealing with reputable dealer, you're going to have to answer a lot of questions as to how you got uncut diamonds.

Have you heard of Blood Diamonds or at least the movie? There's a certification process set up with diamonds. The guy in your avatar signed the Clean Diamond Trade Act into law. If you don't have a certificate or a reasonable story as to how you wound up with uncut diamonds, they are probably going to think these are smuggled diamonds.

CavaliersFTW
11-19-2015, 05:01 PM
Ok, then it's simple. It's not yours. End of story.

The problem is you're not being specific enough. There are situations where if you find something, you have the legal right to keep it. There are situations where you don't have a legal right to keep it. This isn't an insignificant detail.
As I stated, and thought should be obvious, it's a moral dilemma thread. The briefcase isn't yours. Do you choose to take anything that isn't yours in this situation for personal gain or not.

So now based on your reaction I'm guessing your answer is no absolutely not?

KevinNYC
11-19-2015, 05:06 PM
2. That quantity of diamonds doesn't just fall from the sky; someone somewhere is looking for them. Chances are great that the person looking for them is not a person I'd want looking for me.

Yeah, if it was a legitimate owner with those diamonds, there probably would be a "Lost briefcase, No Questions Asked Reward" offer.

If not, you're probably dealing with someone shady who needs a way to lauder his money.

One problem with this moral dilemma is the briefcase is almost certainly locked, so you would have to break in to see the diamonds.

KevinNYC
11-19-2015, 05:07 PM
I found a wallet once with no ID and about $100 cash right before Christmas one year. Looked like an old lady wallet. Gave it to the cops and no one claimed it.

So I got the money like 6 months later.

NumberSix
11-19-2015, 05:08 PM
As I stated, and thought should be obvious, it's a moral dilemma thread. The briefcase isn't yours. Do you choose to take anything that isn't yours in this situation for personal gain or not.

So now based on your reaction I'm guessing your answer is no absolutely not?
It seemed like your main question was how do you sell diamonds. Not the ethics of stealing property, which you still haven't answered whether these are diamonds that you have a legal right to keep or not.

If your question is.... If you find a briefcase on a park bench or something, then that's obviously somebody else's. You have no right to take it.

CavaliersFTW
11-19-2015, 05:10 PM
Yeah, if it was a legitimate owner with those diamonds, there probably would be a "Lost briefcase, No Questions Asked Reward" offer.

If not, you're probably dealing with someone shady who needs a way to lauder his money.

One problem with this moral dilemma is the briefcase is almost certainly locked, so you would have to break in to see the diamonds.
Let's assume it wasn't.

Let's assume it is already spilled open. It looks pretty aged too, you're in a park wandering off actual marked trails and you notice it below the leaf litter in the dirt. Doesn't look like anyone has been around it for years. You see uncut semi-translucent translucent varying but roughly marble sized stones everywhere - even half buried because it's been there so long. So you're off the beaten path, but in a public place (not your own private property), and a very old looking busted into and/or just rotted briefcase that was filled with what looks like uncut diamond is sitting there.

Then what do you do?

CavaliersFTW
11-19-2015, 05:12 PM
It seemed like your main question was how do you sell diamonds. Not the ethics of stealing property, which you still haven't answered whether these are diamonds that you have a legal right to keep or not.

If your question is.... If you find a briefcase on a park bench or something, then that's obviously somebody else's. You have no right to take it.
No shit. This is a moral dilemma thread. I KNOW it's not right to take it. The question is, DO YOU under any circumstance where it isn't clearly yours, decide to risk taking it? Or some of it?

I know it isn't mine if it is just found in a public setting. That's the entire point.

KevinNYC
11-19-2015, 05:18 PM
Have you heard of Blood Diamonds or at least the movie? There's a certification process set up with diamonds. The guy in your avatar signed the Clean Diamond Trade Act into law.

A gemologist tries to buy rough diamonds from South Africa for a legitimate business in the US. He was hired to see if the supplier in Africa was legit.
How To Become A Diamond Smuggler Without Really Trying (http://roughdiamondgemologist.com/2/post/2013/02/how-to-become-a-diamond-smuggler-without-really-trying.html)
[QUOTE]By the time I had gone through my due diligence procedures I was able to conclude that the diamonds were smuggled out of Angola and smuggled into South Africa. This of course meant they had no Kimberley Certificates.

....Tom called me the next day to hear my report. I told Tom I believed this guy had the stones. However, he has committed several crimes and would involve Tom in several more crimes if Tom should enter into business with this guy. Let us look at some of the crimes involved in this transaction.

1. Diamonds illegally smuggled out of Angola.
2. Transportation of rough diamonds without proper documents and Kimberley Certificates.
3. Failure to pay Angola export taxes
4. Failure to have Angolan export or buyer

KevinNYC
11-19-2015, 05:29 PM
Let's assume it wasn't.

Let's assume it is already spilled open. It looks pretty aged too, you're in a park wandering off actual marked trails and you notice it below the leaf litter in the dirt. Doesn't look like anyone has been around it for years. You see uncut semi-translucent translucent varying but roughly marble sized stones everywhere - even half buried because it's been there so long. So you're off the beaten path, but in a public place (not your own private property), and a very old looking busted into and/or just rotted briefcase that was filled with what looks like uncut diamond is sitting there.

Then what do you do?
If a public reward was offered, I would assume a legitimate owner. I would most likely turn it over.

If no publicity surrounded this.....that would mean the owner didn't call the police and thus is probably shady. I would be very tempted to not do the right thing to one degree or another. Either hold on the case for a long period of time or siphon one or two to pay off debts. This temptation would be weighed against my assessment of the risks. Did I find it close to my house? Which would mean if the original owner came looking, I would have a higher chance of being found out.

Another thing to weigh is I know like four people who make jewelry. So piecing it out over a long period of time would be feasible. Also I live in a city with an internationally known diamond market. And if I was to get crazy with it and try for a 7 figure payday, I used to tangentially know a guy who is on parole, but was a muckity-muck, who probably who know who to call to sell the whole lot.