PDA

View Full Version : What has been the secret to the rise of the warriors??

NZStreetBaller
11-20-2015, 03:25 AM
5 years ago these guys were nothing. And they steadily improved from playoff team to serious contender to nba champions. Now theyre looking unstoppable.

Seriously what happened here over the past 5 years. While we were all talking about kobe lebron the miami heat stacked team. The lakers stacked team in 2013. The thunder being the next champions the ageless spurs etc.

The warriors seem to have gone from being in every teams rear vision mirror to being so far ahead of everyone. They kicking azz now.

Howd they do it??
What were the steps they took etc?

Funktion
11-20-2015, 03:37 AM
New Ownership, making Bob Myers GM, trading Monta for Bogut(lol), excellent draft picks, picking up Iggy, signing Curry for 4/44M.

Bobcats2013
11-20-2015, 03:39 AM
The young guns(Curry,Harrison,Dray,Ezeli,Klay) grew up on the court together. Mark Jackson shaped them up.

Front office is a bunch of savages.

Veterans came in and weren't looking for the limelight, they wanted to help build the young guns up.

The rise wasn't overnight, it was a 4 year progression my nikka

FKAri
11-20-2015, 03:40 AM
The most well constructed team I have honestly EVER season. Call it a combination of design and luck but regardless. Name any team since the early 90's that was as perfectly balanced.

EDIT - I won't go into depth of what I think because I haven't really investigated it much but I think the Monta trade might have been the big move that really got the ball rolling. Remeber the boo's they got? They trusted Curry and saw he could be big.

Funktion
11-20-2015, 03:40 AM
Getting Barnes, Draymond, and Ezeli in one draft alone is straight thievery.

warriorfan
11-20-2015, 03:42 AM
5 years ago these guys were nothing. And they steadily improved from playoff team to serious contender to nba champions. Now theyre looking unstoppable.

Seriously what happened here over the past 5 years. While we were all talking about kobe lebron the miami heat stacked team. The lakers stacked team in 2013. The thunder being the next champions the ageless spurs etc.

The warriors seem to have gone from being in every teams rear vision mirror to being so far ahead of everyone. They kicking azz now.

Howd they do it??

A M C

kennethgriffin
11-20-2015, 03:43 AM
having a bunch of talent that actually likes playing with one another and all buys into a system in which 1 player gets all the credit for everyone elses hard work and taking pride in defense

ya know... that style every team should do but egos and laziness get in the way

Fudge
11-20-2015, 03:44 AM
Our stacked roster

Every player in our player is either top 5 or top 10 at their position

Most likely the best bench in the league

Perfect players to complement our franchise cornerstones in Klay, Curry, and Dray.

kennethgriffin
11-20-2015, 03:44 AM
A M C

you do realize your nickname is a tv station right?

chef curry is way better

Jyap9675
11-20-2015, 03:46 AM
Solid draft picks
Injury free Curry
surrounding players that complemented Curry (playmakers)
removing players that did not complement Curry (Monta)
Great playoff experience (Nuggets/spurs 2013)
Solid defensive anchors (Bogut and Green)
Luck? (Firing of Mark Jackson and hiring Kerr)

knicksman
11-20-2015, 04:32 AM
jerry west. Lakers went down while GSW went up

DMAVS41
11-20-2015, 11:29 AM
curry of course...

but Draymond Green really is under-rated here. if people can't see his value after last night on both ends...I give up.

that small lineup with him a center...nobody can touch it...it kills teams. and it can only happen because Draymond is about as versatile and good defensively as one can be at that position.

And then there is Klay progressing...the tanking for Barnes...Iggy signing...etc.

3ball
11-20-2015, 11:30 AM
The most well constructed team I have honestly EVER season. Call it a combination of design and luck but regardless. Name any team since the early 90's that was as perfectly balanced.

They're well-balanced, but the "balance" wouldn't be possible if Curry couldn't get his league-leading scoring OFF-BALL.

If Curry needed to dominate the ball to be scoring leader, then the Warriors wouldn't be nearly as good because teammates wouldn't have the same opportunity they have now.

But fortunately, Curry gets his league-leading scoring OFF-BALL, which gives teammates the opportunity necessary for the team to be considered "balanced"..

pegasus
11-20-2015, 11:44 AM
They're well-balanced, but the "balance" wouldn't be possible if Curry couldn't get his league-leading scoring OFF-BALL.

If Curry needed to dominate the ball to be scoring leader, then the Warriors wouldn't be nearly as good because teammates wouldn't have the same opportunity they have now.

But fortunately, Curry gets his league-leading scoring OFF-BALL, which gives teammates the opportunity necessary for the team to be considered "balanced"..
This. No one in the league could do what Curry is doing in terms of sharing the ball with his teammates while putting up historic numbers. Maybe Durant, if he was surrounded by a more balanced cast, instead of another superstar who needs the ball in his hands all the time.

TemporaMutantur
11-20-2015, 11:45 AM
you do realize your nickname is a tv station right?

chef curry is way better

Not to mention a television station whose shows are known to have sad endings.

NBAplayoffs2001
11-20-2015, 11:51 AM
Getting Barnes, Draymond, and Ezeli in one draft alone is straight thievery.

This. Better management. New ownership. Finally got Monta Ellis off the team (who I've always never been a fan of, his body language often shows attitude about how his teammates play), land iggy and convince iggy to play a smaller role. Got a solid shot blocker when healthy in Bogut. Steve Kerr found out the winning formula through his way of coaching and what seems to be a hands off approach. The fan base has always been great there. They had fans all over Northern California even when they struggled. Belief they can win every single game, regular season or postseason. People thought last years Warriors were a phenomenally built team but I think this years team is even better due to their fighting spirit and improved individual skills across the board on their roster.

ISHGoat
11-20-2015, 12:05 PM
Curry's 4/44m contract.

Imagine if the cavs could add a player worth 10m.

Stacked.

Nastradamus
11-20-2015, 12:27 PM
short answer? Analytics. IDK if it made them land Curry, but its why they landed Andre,Thompson,Green and Bogut at the least.

WorldWarriors
11-20-2015, 01:27 PM
short answer? Analytics. IDK if it made them land Curry, but its why they landed Andre,Thompson,Green and Bogut at the least.
They didn't use analytics when they drafted Curry, lol. Cohan and Rowell analytics? :oldlol: They didn't know their ass from a hole in the ground.

Thank God Nellie was the devil he was because we were about to trade the #7 for Amare Stoudamire but then Curry fell to 7 and they reneged on the deal.:oldlol:

But yes the rise of analytics is what put this team together (draft wise) and was also the downfall of Mark Jackson who didn't want to get with the program.

I don't think it's why we landed Iggy and Bogut. Warriors were dying for a big man. Any kind of big man with game. We drafted so many busts. When Bogut became available rumor has it that it was Curry that was offered initially but he had just had his ankle injury and wasn't 100%. They wanted Monta instead. Vecsey reported it. So take it with a grain of salt.

Andre asked to be on the team after Warriors beat Denver. He didn't like Karl and loved the way the Warriors played. They got a deal worked out and here he is.

Nastradamus
11-20-2015, 01:42 PM
They didn't use analytics when they drafted Curry, lol. Cohan and Rowell analytics? :oldlol: They didn't know their ass from a hole in the ground.

Thank God Nellie was the devil he was because we were about to trade the #7 for Amare Stoudamire but then Curry fell to 7 and they reneged on the deal.:oldlol:

But yes the rise of analytics is what put this team together (draft wise) and was also the downfall of Mark Jackson who didn't want to get with the program.

I don't think it's why we landed Iggy and Bogut. Warriors were dying for a big man. Any kind of big man with game. We drafted so many busts. When Bogut became available rumor has it that it was Curry that was offered initially but he had just had his ankle injury and wasn't 100%. They wanted Monta instead. Vecsey reported it. So take it with a grain of salt.

Andre asked to be on the team after Warriors beat Denver. He didn't like Karl and loved the way the Warriors played. They got a deal worked out and here he is.

I'm sure Iggy wanted to be there and yes Bogut was a bit circumstantial,but I assure you they did heavy digging into both and its likely their defensive metrics that sealed the deal for GS' management.

Agreed on Curry, I guess I should have phrased it different.

1manfastbreak
11-20-2015, 01:53 PM
The secret was winning a coin flip against Toronto in the 2012-2012 season for the #7 overall pick. If they lost that toss then Utah would of owned the rights to the 8th pick.

Obviously the drafting of one Wardell Stephen Curry dramatically altered the course of this franchise. Then being able to sign him to a a very manageable contract. Then trading for Bogut. Fans booed but it was more in the sense that the Warriors were essentially packing it in for that season. I'm pretty sure I'd boo too if I spent 15k on season tickets and the new douchey owner came in and traded the team's best player. It was a brilliant trade though. Monta is exciting but not a player that wins you basketball games, or championships for that matter. Then there was the 2012 draft class which is quite mind boggling. GM of the year Bob Myers. The Logo helping with front office decisions. Jim Barnett sticking around for another season of play-by-play for CSN Bay Area.

most importantly building a team through the draft and drafting extremely smart and high character basketball players. Warriors are playing the a style of basketball that teams will try to emulate for years to come.

I got some insight to the advanced analytics the Warriors front office used to build this roster. "3 pointers are more than 2 pointers. Lets find guys that make lots of 3 pointers"

Levity
11-20-2015, 01:58 PM
Curry staying healthy these past few years is such a key factor. there were a lot of posters back in the day that said the kid would be out of the league due to his never ending ankle injuries. crazy how much of an afterthought that has become.

WorldWarriors
11-20-2015, 02:18 PM
I'm sure Iggy wanted to be there and yes Bogut was a bit circumstantial,but I assure you they did heavy digging into both and its likely their defensive metrics that sealed the deal for GS' management.

Agreed on Curry, I guess I should have phrased it different.

I can't argue with you there because I have no knowledge of what they dug into. But I will take your word.

game3524
11-20-2015, 02:28 PM
Team building+shitty era=great team.

1manfastbreak
11-20-2015, 02:37 PM
shitty era lol. people are funny

game3524
11-20-2015, 02:54 PM
shitty era lol. people are funny

It is the truth.

The league is going through a transition period.

ArbitraryWater
11-20-2015, 02:59 PM
It is the truth.

The league is going through a transition period.

Even if it would, that doesnt mean this is a shitty era :oldlol:

La Frescobaldi
11-20-2015, 05:16 PM
maybe i missed it on here but nobody even noticed what happened when Kerr showed up over there

thefatmiral
11-20-2015, 06:31 PM
Been knowing the warrior threat since 2013 playoffs.

DoctorP
11-20-2015, 06:32 PM
Team building+shitty era=great team.

Shitty era , indeed. For the Sixers.

Bernkastel
11-20-2015, 06:32 PM
I assume some new type of rigging on the part of the Warriors.

Straight_Ballin
11-20-2015, 06:39 PM
Howd they do it??

Is this even a question? They have STEVE FVCKING KERR as their coach.

You know, the guy who played with MJ AND Duncan?
You know, the guy that played under PHIL JACKSON AND GREG POPOVICH?!

I don't know, but something tells me that when you've played with the GOAT and another top 10 player of all time, and have played under the 2 greatest coaches of all time, you are going MAYBE know a thing or 2 about championship level ball how to lead a team to the championship? :lol