PDA

View Full Version : Nash on Curry: 'He's taken what I did to another level',most skilled player ever

zizozain
11-20-2015, 07:25 AM
When Steve Nash talks about Stephen Curry, you listen. Nash is the closest stylistic analog for Curry, and Curry has been one of Nash's favorite players to watch for a while. The two have been compared for years, and Curry grew up emulating Nash. Now, as a player development consultant for the Golden State Warriors, Nash is working with Curry.

The future Hall of Famer put Curry's dominance into historical context in a conversation with the San Jose Mercury News' Tim Kawakami:

-Q: Is it fair to say that Curry is becoming maybe one of the top 10 players of all-time? Can we say that?

-NASH: I don't have a problem with it. To me, growing up, my hero, other than Michael Jordan, was Isiah Thomas.

But in some ways I wish I was a 13 year old starting to play basketball for the first time so I could grow up watching him play and emulating him. That'd be pretty powerful.

You know, I hope my son likes basketball. (Matteo is five.)

-Q: So Curry could be a transformative figure maybe the way Bird and Magic brought in that level of passing, then Jordan with above the rim, then maybe you and Jason Kidd with a different kind of point-guard play? Do you see this
happening now?

-NASH: It's the evolution of the game. We're seeing someone

StephHamann
11-20-2015, 07:25 AM
Curry is basically Nash with some more black flavour

JtotheIzzo
11-20-2015, 07:30 AM
Jesus H!

I had no idea Nash was turoting him...that is some Yoda on Luke shit right there. The Darkside has no hope, barring injury Curry could be doing this for the next ten years.

Whaaaaaaaa?

Yes, think about it, Cuban let Nash go to Phoenix cuz he thought he was on the decline, but the reality was Nash was a master of longevity, playing efficiently, playing the right way and taking care of his body.

All these things will be passed onto Curry.

He will have a long peak, that is the goal and they are both smart, polished and focused enough to make it happen.

GSW, should almost reload in a couple of years mid-stride because Curry might be like this till 2024.

Scary!

Bosnian Sajo
11-20-2015, 07:31 AM
Na, Curry is not like Nash. Curry is Curry, straight up. Never before been a player like him, sure as hell not pass first Steve ****ing Nash. Did he ever even score over 30 in a game??

GIF REACTION
11-20-2015, 07:35 AM
Na, Curry is not like Nash. Curry is Curry, straight up. Never before been a player like him, sure as hell not pass first Steve ****ing Nash. Did he ever even score over 30 in a game??
He scored 48 in a playoff game and averaged 24/11 in his longest playoff run

He shot his best percentages when he took the most shots

He could score when needed to. He proved that time and time again

JtotheIzzo
11-20-2015, 07:35 AM

plenty of times in the playofs when he had to take over.

you are right, CUrry is better than Nash ever was, but few had as pure a game as Nash, and few were as fundamentally sound, so if Nash is working closely with Curry daily, it is almost like having Hakeem coach Shaq on a daily basis. You are taking a potential GOATlike proeperty and giving it sensei tutelage.

GIF REACTION
11-20-2015, 07:39 AM
Nash are Curry are similar but one is more of a willing shooter and one is more of a floor general

That's all there really is to it

Put peak Nash in Curry's place right now and he's putting up big numbers offensively... Probably 22-25PPG or so with 8 or so assists...

Dragonyeuw
11-20-2015, 08:33 AM

http://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/assets/4375587/birdsad.gif

Lakers Fan
11-20-2015, 08:45 AM
Nash are Curry are similar but one is more of a willing shooter and one is more of a floor general

That's all there really is to it

Put peak Nash in Curry's place right now and he's putting up big numbers offensively... Probably 22-25PPG or so with 8 or so assists...

"Peak" Nash with 8 assists "or so"? :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

Think 11-13 apg on this team broseph.

GIF REACTION
11-20-2015, 09:03 AM
"Peak" Nash with 8 assists "or so"? :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

Think 11-13 apg on this team broseph.
The systems are different dude

Think with your brain

Dragonyeuw
11-20-2015, 09:08 AM
Nash and Curry probably is the closest comparison. Similar size, not especially athletic but very crafty handles allowing them to find seams, Nash being a better overall passer( though Curry is no slouch) and Curry being a better scorer( though Nash was no slouch). Curry is better defensively though he's certainly no stopper, and we know that Nash's most glaring deficiency was defense. But overall, especially offensively, Curry has taken Nash's marksmanship to the next level in the way in which he can create his shot from distance. He's more aggressive and less of a 'pick his spots' scorer than Nash was.

GIF REACTION
11-20-2015, 09:10 AM
Nash and Curry probably is the closest comparison. Similar size, not especially athletic but very crafty handles allowing them to find seams, Nash being a better overall passer( though Curry is no slouch) and Curry being a better scorer( though Nash was no slouch). Curry is better defensively though he's certainly no stopper, and we know that Nash's most glaring deficiency was defense. But overall, especially offensively, Curry has taken Nash's marksmanship to the next level in the way in which he can create his shot from distance. He's more aggressive and less of a 'pick his spots' scorer than Nash was.
I think both are capable of playing eachothers way, just not as good

As Curry's passing is overlooked due to his shooting

Nash's shooting is overlooked by his passing

Prime_Shaq
11-20-2015, 09:21 AM
:facepalm and I don't even like Nash

KevinNYC
11-20-2015, 09:22 AM

Wow.

2005 Western Conference semifinals vs. Mavericks

It wasn't bad enough for the Mavericks that Nash led the Suns to a league-best 62 wins and took home MVP honors in his first season in Phoenix. Nash then absolutely eviscerated his former team when it mattered most, in the postseason.

Nash averaged 30.3 points, 12 assists, 6.5 rebounds and one steal over the six-game, second-round series, which the Suns won. But it was his final three games of the series that will go down in history.

In Game 4, Nash scored a career-high 48 points on 71 percent (20-of-28) shooting in a losing effort, as Dallas evened the series.

In Game 5, Nash posted a 34-point, 13-rebound, 12-assist triple-double to move the Suns within a win of the Western Conference finals.

Then in Game 6, with Dallas just moments away from forcing a Game 7, Nash hit a game-tying three with 5.7 seconds remaining in regulation to force overtime. By the time the final buzzer sounded, Nash had poured in 39 points, 12 assists and nine rebounds to finish off the Mavs.

GIF REACTION
11-20-2015, 09:31 AM
It's well established that Nash could score when needed. The difference between him and Curry historically prime for prime has been 18 points vs 23 points, with Curry taking 3-5 more shots a game, while Nash gets 3-5 more assists a game

In the current warriors system I see no reason why Nash couldn't average 22-25PPG to go along with 8-10 assists...

Dragonyeuw
11-20-2015, 09:46 AM
I think both are capable of playing eachothers way, just not as good

As Curry's passing is overlooked due to his shooting

Nash's shooting is overlooked by his passing

I doubt Nash was capable of 'this' level of scoring even if he concentrated more on it. He was a marksman for sure, but Curry's release is pretty much un-guardable. Basically from the point he's within 30 feet, you have to really start worrying about him launching a 3. So yeah, they probably could duplicate each other's play *but not as good*, but I think Curry could assimilate Nash's style in terms of the pass-first mentality better than Nash would putting on the kind of offensive performance Curry has shown.

ImKobe
11-20-2015, 09:58 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0ZesF2ioEE

Playoff high 48...

Anyone that was around to see him play in his prime knows he was a very skilled shooter just like Curry is. Nash could score anywhere on the floor despite his limited athleticism. The similarities kick in because both are elite shooters and Nash being one of Curry's idols but Curry's handles are something else.

GIF REACTION
11-20-2015, 10:01 AM
I doubt Nash was capable of 'this' level of scoring even if he concentrated more on it. He was a marksman for sure, but Curry's release is pretty much un-guardable. Basically from the point he's within 30 feet, you have to really start worrying about him launching a 3. So yeah, they probably could duplicate each other's play *but not as good*, but I think Curry could assimilate Nash's style in terms of the pass-first mentality better than Nash would putting on the kind of offensive performance Curry has shown.
But Curry would be turnover prone playing Nash ball

ralph_i_el
11-20-2015, 10:51 AM

:facepalm Found the guy that never watched Nash

Curry and Nash are very close stylistically. Nash just looked to pass more. Curry has a quicker release and and better scoring instincts, but from an aesthetics standpoint they are very similar.

Nash wasn't ever going to be a 30ppg scorer, but if he could definitely have been in the mid 20's range.

West-Side
11-20-2015, 12:16 PM

Uhm, I completely disagree.
Dirk & Nash throughout the last 15 years, remind me so much of Curry.

I didn't fear any two players more than I did those two when the game was on the line. It just seemed they never missed. Especially when they were open.

That's the kind of fear I have for Curry.
These guys were unconscious shooting the ball.

3 of the greatest ever, shooters.
Curry is more of a score-first point guard though.

DMAVS41
11-20-2015, 12:22 PM
Uhm, I completely disagree.
Dirk & Nash throughout the last 15 years, remind me so much of Curry.

I didn't fear any two players more than I did those two when the game was on the line. It just seemed they never missed. Especially when they were open.

That's the kind of fear I have for Curry.
These guys were unconscious shooting the ball.

3 of the greatest ever, shooters.
Curry is more of a score-first point guard though.

As great as Dirk, Nash, Ray, Reggie, West...etc. were as shooters...and I agree with your statement about late game situations.

Curry is just a level above all of those guys in terms of in game shooting. He's clearly the best shooter of all time and it's not remotely close imo.

houston
11-20-2015, 12:58 PM
nash and curry nothing alike

Fallen Angel
11-20-2015, 04:05 PM
http://media.giphy.com/media/miUDlHojfHoVq/giphy.gif

FKAri
11-20-2015, 04:15 PM

http://media.giphy.com/media/NLbivNFUwhoTm/giphy.gif

warriorfan
11-20-2015, 04:19 PM
nash lead a number 1 offense with offensive studs

curry lead a number 1 offense with offensive duds

nash has never been part of a number 1 defense

curry lead a number 1 offense and a number 1 defense at the same time

nash has never made it to the WCF

curry 1/1

deal with it

Fallen Angel
11-20-2015, 04:20 PM
nash has never made it to the WCF

http://media.giphy.com/media/miUDlHojfHoVq/giphy.gif

warriorfan
11-20-2015, 04:21 PM
out of*

oarabbus
11-20-2015, 04:22 PM

That's a joke... or you're a joke

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
11-20-2015, 04:29 PM
That's a joke... or you're a joke

Checkout the OT for more of his quackery. Being an awful poster on BOTH forums is a huge accomplishment for that idiot. :oldlol:

WolfGang
11-20-2015, 04:34 PM
If I had to build a team with either Curry or Nash, I'd pick Nash. Nash has never had a team as deep as GS. I don't see him disappearing in the finals like Curry either.

Curry is nice, but his team deserves a lot more credit than they recieve.

Mr. Jabbar
11-20-2015, 05:08 PM
Lol at nash having a say in GOATrrys career. ALREADY BETTER THAN THAT OVERRATED SCRUB EVER WAS

warriorfan
11-20-2015, 05:14 PM
Lol at nash having a say in GOATrrys career. ALREADY BETTER THAN THAT OVERRATED SCRUB EVER WAS

Heavy D AMC probably just smiles and nods when nash is blabbering on and on :lol

feyki
11-20-2015, 05:17 PM
Curry hasn't 30 pts , 6 rib , 12 ast playoffs series against contender team.

truhooper
11-20-2015, 06:11 PM
:roll: at that loser Nash comparing himself to Steph

Straight_Ballin
11-20-2015, 06:27 PM
[QUOTE=zizozain]
-NASH: It's the evolution of the game. We're seeing someone

Prime_Shaq
11-20-2015, 08:32 PM
Heavy D AMC probably just smiles and nods when nash is blabbering on and on :lol
Why are you so mad? Nash admitted that Curry is better than him :lol

G0ATbe
11-20-2015, 08:40 PM
He's the greatest player since Kobe hands down.:bowdown:

Nash trying to slyly compare himself to curry though:roll: . He's a bum in comparison.

knicksman
11-20-2015, 08:53 PM

they are the same. it differs on the mentality. Curry is alpha thats why he wants to be a scorer while nash is a beta whos willing to settle for a support role(passer).