PDA

View Full Version : Manu is the 3rd best SG of all time

Nick Young
11-20-2015, 11:52 PM
Manu Ginobili is the 3rd best shooting guard of all time behind Kobe Bryant and Michael Jordan. The numbers and championship pedigree back this claim up.

Do you believe Manu is 3rd on the GOAT list behind Kobe and MJ in that order?:confusedshrug:

JohnFreeman
11-20-2015, 11:54 PM
Wade is so much better.

imdaman99
11-20-2015, 11:55 PM
Can you keep your trolling on the offcourt forum? :biggums:

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
11-20-2015, 11:58 PM
MJ
Kobe
Wade
Jerry
Manu

Per minute Manu is as good as any of them besides MJ. Manu with great durability/ability to play high minutes is top 20 alltime

05 Manu is the 5th GOAT SG peak too. He was the best player in the ENTIRE playoffs, murked Denver, outplayed peak Ray Allen, peak Steve Nash, murdered Detroits alltime D. Hes also easily the GOAT passer from SG

Straight_Ballin
11-21-2015, 12:01 AM
Manu is top 5 SG all time. It was literally a shammgod shit show every time he decimated defenses with that crossover.

Kvnzhangyay
11-21-2015, 12:04 AM
Manu is top 5 SG all time. It was literally a shammgod shit show every time he decimated defenses with that crossover.

MJ
Kobe
Wade
West
AI/Drexler

Idk where he has a case over any

Bankaii
11-21-2015, 12:09 AM
MJ
Kobe
Wade
West
AI/Drexler

Someone with some common sense:applause:

FKAri
11-21-2015, 12:12 AM
MJ
Kobe
Wade
West
AI/Drexler

Does Manu even have a case over Moncrief?

Fallen Angel
11-21-2015, 12:40 AM
What kind of numbers back him up against Dwyane Wade and Jerry West?

Please explain.

TaLvsCuaL
11-21-2015, 12:42 AM

Please explain.
The number of rings

Fallen Angel
11-21-2015, 12:45 AM

Please explain.
Robert Horry has more rings than Tim Duncan, Charles Barkley, Kevin Garnett, and Karl Malone combined.

Does that make him the one of the greatest PFs of all-time to you?

Oh it does? Okay, good for you.

Nick Young
11-21-2015, 12:45 AM

Please explain.
RINGS. how many rings does AI have doe?

SouBeachTalents
11-21-2015, 12:48 AM
The number of rings

Manu's legit had one good Finals performance his entire career. Wade & West had multiple Finals ranging from good-great

LikeMike
11-21-2015, 12:49 AM
1. MJ
2. West
3. Wade
4. Kobe
5. Drexler
6. Manu

Akrazotile
11-21-2015, 01:35 AM
It's close but I have him entering the ranks at the #4 slot.

Jordan
West
Wade
Ginobili
Bean

Still incredibly impressive.

Akrazotile
11-21-2015, 01:35 AM
1. MJ
2. West
3. Wade
4. Kobe
5. Drexler
6. Manu

:cheers:

24-Inch_Chrome
11-21-2015, 01:48 AM
Not top 5 all-time.

Jordan
Kobe
Wade
West
Drexler

Magic 32
11-21-2015, 01:49 AM
1. MJ
2. West
3. Wade
4. Kobe
5. Drexler
6. Manu

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/30/you_fail.jpg

WayOfWade
11-21-2015, 01:51 AM
Interesting how a lot of people here are putting Wade above West yet I remember distinctly in other threads that people usually think it's the other way around. IMO there is no way Ginobili is greater than than Jordan, Kobe, West, Wade, and perhaps a couple others. He is fantastic though, his longevity is really impressing me

KOBE143
11-21-2015, 06:01 AM
Agree

and he's also the GOAT Spurs player.. :bowdown:

T_L_P
11-21-2015, 06:12 AM
#3 is obviously too high, but I'd take Manu before the likes of AI.

He's not better than MJ, Kobe, Wade or West though.

GIF REACTION
11-21-2015, 06:18 AM
Iverson is a PG

midatlantic09
11-21-2015, 06:37 AM
Jordan
Kobe
Wade
Jerry West
Drexler
Ray Allen
Reggie Miller
George Gervin
Pete "Pistol Pete" Maravich

...all are better than Ginobili. OP must be a kid who hasn't seen much.

bdreason
11-21-2015, 06:49 AM
I like Manu but he isn't even top 10. Maybe not even top 15.

Smoke117
11-21-2015, 06:59 AM
https://godofall.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/wade-laugh.gif

Is this what you retarded kobe stans have come to, to raise him up? I'm a Wade fan, but this an insult to guys like Jerry West, Clyde Drexler, Ray Allen etc even.

Smoke117
11-21-2015, 07:01 AM
#3 is obviously too high, but I'd take Manu before the likes of AI.

He's not better than MJ, Kobe, Wade or West though.

That isn't saying much...he's the most overrated player of all time.

AirFederer
11-21-2015, 07:03 AM
MJ
Kobe
Wade
Jerry
Manu

Per minute Manu is as good as any of them besides MJ. Manu with great durability/ability to play high minutes is top 20 alltime

05 Manu is the 5th GOAT SG peak too. He was the best player in the ENTIRE playoffs, murked Denver, outplayed peak Ray Allen, peak Steve Nash, murdered Detroits alltime D. Hes also easily the GOAT passer from SG
:applause:

!@#$%Vectors!@#
11-21-2015, 07:18 AM
Manu is good but don't overrate him.

zeerghit
11-21-2015, 08:12 AM
https://godofall.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/wade-laugh.gif

Is this what you retarded kobe stans have come to, to raise him up? I'm a Wade fan, but this an insult to guys like Jerry West, Clyde Drexler, Ray Allen etc even.

how allen is better? HOW?

!@#$%Vectors!@#
11-21-2015, 08:17 AM

Allen was not beneficiary of playing under a highly efficent system with Future GOats before going to Boston. Even Then their system was from from efficient compared to what the spurs do.

But, with that I'll have to give Manu the edge because of how great he was even with the injury plague.

Smoke117
11-21-2015, 08:25 AM

You want me to explain how Ray Allen...who carried the Sonics in the 2005 playoffs with no Rashard Lewis to 6 games vs the Spurs is better than Manu? Not even worth my time or ire.

zeerghit
11-21-2015, 08:43 AM
You want me to explain how Ray Allen...who carried the Sonics in the 2005 playoffs with no Rashard Lewis to 6 games vs the Spurs is better than Manu? Not even worth my time or ire.

u are funny guy, give me some arguments, stop acting like diva

look at all advanced, and per 100pos stats.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&p1=ginobma01&p2=allenra02&p3=&p4=&p5=&p6=

Alan Ogg
11-21-2015, 08:45 AM
1. MJ
2. Kobe
3. West
4. Wade
5. Clyde

dhsilv
11-21-2015, 11:46 AM

Please explain.

West is easy. He was a point guard :)

HurricaneKid
11-21-2015, 12:48 PM
OP is out on a limb on this one but you guys are being downright disrespectful.

This shows he is essentially tied with Shaq and Timmy for score contributions/min over a massive sample size:
https://sites.google.com/site/rapmstats/97-14-rapm-2

So, if we are talking about per minute contributions he is absolutely up there. He also played a huge role on 5 Championships and may very well have been the best player on 1 of them. He also led Argentina to insanely impressive international success, winning the only gold medal USA hasn't in the last 25+ years. And its not as if Argentina is the hot bed of basketball talent that the US is.

thefatmiral
11-21-2015, 01:03 PM
At hist best. When he's on. He is. He's not consistent enough for me to rank that high all time

dhsilv
11-21-2015, 01:23 PM
OP is out on a limb on this one but you guys are being downright disrespectful.

This shows he is essentially tied with Shaq and Timmy for score contributions/min over a massive sample size:
https://sites.google.com/site/rapmstats/97-14-rapm-2

So, if we are talking about per minute contributions he is absolutely up there. He also played a huge role on 5 Championships and may very well have been the best player on 1 of them. He also led Argentina to insanely impressive international success, winning the only gold medal USA hasn't in the last 25+ years. And its not as if Argentina is the hot bed of basketball talent that the US is.

5 championships? Are you counting non NBA stuff?

I'll agree per minute he's among the best ever, but keep in mind he plays a LOT more minutes as a percentage of minutes against second units. He also gets to play all out since he plays else minutes.

Not sure where or even how to rank the guy. I'm sure he'd have better stats with any coach not pop as he'd have played more minutes. It's just really hard to figure out how that translates to say Drexler who I think he was clearly better than per minute, not sure there's a debate, but as a career? I just don't know how to compare that.

DaSeba5
11-21-2015, 01:26 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/923112/heat.gif

Bigsmoke
11-21-2015, 01:35 PM
Manu above Drexler?

Y'all smoking angle dust?

greatest-ever
11-21-2015, 02:04 PM
1. MJ
2. Kobe
3. West
4. Wade
5. Clyde
This is my exact list as well. Even if one were to consider West a PG, i don't see Manu's argument over Drexler or Gervin. Manu was a guy who rarely if ever averaged over 30 mpg in his career. He was great but playing for the great Spurs his entire career has benefited him greatly longevity wise as well as legacy. He didn't have the durability to be a 1st option superstar for multiple seasons.

So yeah, no argument for top 5 and it wouldn't be hard to argue him out of the top 10 when Ai, Reggie, Ray Allen, Tmac all have strong cases.

greatest-ever
11-21-2015, 02:12 PM
Oh and by the way people need to stop overrating his contributions to those championships. Firstly, it was 4 he won not 5 so people need to get their facts on that, Secondly he he was only a role player in 2003 and they would've won with or without him, in 2014 he was a solid contributor but he was roughly a 14 ppg type player nothing to write home about. 2005 was the one title run where he was legit playing like a superstar in the playoffs.

Naero
11-21-2015, 02:18 PM
:facepalm

Can you actually cite the substantive numbers to substantiate how Manu is supposedly better than Jerry West and Dwyane Wade?

Kobe's and Wade's alpha-led championships >>> any of Manu's rings; even in some of their sidekicked rings--including West's only ring of his career, in addition to becoming the only losing-team Finals MVP--they managed to play a co-leader role, while Manu has been no more than a third wheel.

TheBigVeto
11-22-2015, 09:56 PM
Manu Ginobili is the 3rd best shooting guard of all time behind Kobe Bryant and Michael Jordan. The numbers and championship pedigree back this claim up.

Do you believe Manu is 3rd on the GOAT list behind Kobe and MJ in that order?:confusedshrug:

You got half of it correct.

Yes Manu is 3rd GOAT SG.

But after Michael Jordan and John Havlicek.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
11-22-2015, 10:00 PM
Manu above Drexler?

Manu is better than Glide.

Manus elite halfcourt game made him a menace in playoffs.

Glide consistently dropped off in the playoffs where other Portland players like Porter especially had to carry him. Since Glide had a sht halfcourt game and relied too much on transition/fastbreak

aj1987
11-22-2015, 10:04 PM
Manu is better than Glide.

Manus elite halfcourt game made him a menace in playoffs.

Glide consistently dropped off in the playoffs where other Portland players like Porter especially had to carry him. Since Glide had a sht halfcourt game and relied too much on transition/fastbreak
Manu is his best EVER season averaged 21/5/4 in the PO's. Clyde, for his CAREER, averaged 20/7/6 in the PO's.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
11-22-2015, 10:09 PM
Manu is his best EVER season averaged 21/5/4 in the PO's. Clyde, for his CAREER, averaged 20/7/6 in the PO's.
Context.........He played much more minutes. Manus advanced stats kills him

What did Glide do better than Manu?

Manu was a better shooter from everywhere, better passer, much better ballhandler/dribbler, better playmaker, better defensive rebounder, better defender, better halfcourt game, more clutch

Glide was a better offensive rebounder, finisher at rim, slasher and transition player

aj1987
11-22-2015, 10:16 PM
Context.........He played much more minutes. Manus advanced stats kills him

What did Glide do better than Manu?

Manu was a better shooter from everywhere, better passer, much better ballhandler/dribbler, better playmaker, better defensive rebounder, better defender, better halfcourt game, more clutch

Glide was a better offensive rebounder, finisher at rim, slasher and transition player
Are you ****ing kidding me?

Clyde is the better scorer, rebounder, and defender. Manu is definitely a better passer. GTFOH with the advanced stats BS. Watch a game or two of Clydes.

Per 36 in the RS:

Manu - 19/5/5
Clyde - 21/6/6

Per 36 in the PO's:

Manu - 19/5/5
Clyde - 19/7/6

Clyde was a legit superstar. Manu is a VERY good player, but he was never a superstar.

Reggie43
11-22-2015, 10:18 PM
Manu was as skilled as most top guards in nba history, unfortunately he never had his own team and was never given the top defensive attention night in night out in his career like the other guards had. We could really never know how he could handle that type of pressure.

La Frescobaldi
11-22-2015, 10:18 PM

egad, man.

LikeMike
11-22-2015, 10:19 PM
Manu above Drexler?

Angle dust?

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
11-22-2015, 10:27 PM
Are you ****ing kidding me?

Clyde is the better scorer, rebounder, and defender. Manu is definitely a better passer. GTFOH with the advanced stats BS. Watch a game or two of Clydes.

Per 36 in the RS:

Manu - 19/5/5
Clyde - 21/6/6

Per 36 in the PO's:

Manu - 19/5/5
Clyde - 19/7/6

Clyde was a legit superstar. Manu is a VERY good player, but he was never a superstar.

Clyde wasnt a better defender lmao

And he might be a better scorer. Manu was a much better scorer in the halfcourt. And youre ignoring efficiency.

aj1987
11-22-2015, 10:34 PM
Clyde wasnt a better defender lmao

And he might be a better scorer. Manu was a much better scorer in the halfcourt. And youre ignoring efficiency.
4% difference in TS in both the RS and PO's. Manu has the higher TS%, but he won't be able to sustain it taking more shots or playing more minutes.

As I said, go to YT and watch a couple of Drexler's games.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
11-22-2015, 10:36 PM
4% difference in TS in both the RS and PO's. Manu has the higher TS%, but he won't be able to sustain it taking more shots or playing more minutes.

As I said, go to YT and watch a couple of Drexler's games.
Ive seen playoff games of Glide and those Blazers. Ive seen Terry Porter carrying the offense in most of those games with Glide failing to get into rhythm and making an impact due to the pace slowing down and his halfcourt game being shit

GrapeApe
11-22-2015, 11:22 PM
This is craziness. Ginobli has career averages of 14/4/4/1 on 45%. His career playoff averages are 15/4/4/1 on 43%. He has only 2 seasons averaging 30+ mpg. Don't get me wrong, he's had a great career and is a deserving HOFer, but let's keep things in perspective. He's a limited minute player who averages under 27 mpg for his career. He's never once had the responsibility of being "the man" for an entire regular season and playoffs. It's completely unfair to rank him ahead of guys who had to play big minutes every night and carry their teams.