PDA

View Full Version : ISH, Where Hype Happens: Porzingis Edition

hateraid
11-23-2015, 11:35 AM
Please refrain from over hyping this kid. I really like his game and hope he works out for the Knicks. The game to game thread making is a little much. Let the kid develop before the over hype.

STATUTORY
11-23-2015, 11:39 AM
strong username to thread content connection

Gileraracer
11-23-2015, 12:07 PM
Porzingis had 2 good games. The Hype is reeeallll!!!!!!

DCL
11-23-2015, 12:18 PM
porzingis is the second greatest human to ever live behind the legend brian scalabrine

hateraid
11-23-2015, 01:33 PM
Actually I'm trying to prevent the opposite. I was a fan of Porzingis predraft. I was hoping he was there 3rd so we could pick him over Russell.
This hype train will lead to the inevitable hate (see Lin) and I don't want to see it.

Legends66NBA7
11-23-2015, 01:41 PM
Actually I'm trying to prevent the opposite. I was a fan of Porzingis predraft. I was hoping he was there 3rd so we could pick him over Russell.
This hype train will lead to the inevitable hate (see Lin) and I don't want to see it.

Not a good example.

Lin is actually a hype machine form a string of games he played in D'Antoni's system. Porzingis is playing like a Top 3 rookie (at least) in his draft class. Porzingis also has far more upside that Lin ever was going to have.

It's also the market he's in and being a Top 4 pick. It's inevitable of his circumstances to get hype. Something new, someone unique, big market, high potential, etc...

Dr.J4ever
11-23-2015, 01:55 PM
Please refrain from over hyping this kid. I really like his game and hope he works out for the Knicks. The game to game thread making is a little much. Let the kid develop before the over hype.

Well, anything from NY is hyped up exponentially.

Porz is legit though. He is very impressive, not because of stats, but he is instinctive, defends, and boards too. His scoring seems like a natural to him already. I don't think there is much doubt that he has a superstar ceiling.

Having said that, I wonder how Okafor would look like today if he had Rubio as his PG, just like Towns, and Carmelo to play off of. It seems he is already being game planned and doubled by defenses today, while playing with Dleague level guards in the 76ers back court. Despite this, he has been dominant offensively, at times.

He(Jah) is improving in the boards too and on defense. He had 11 boards and 3 blocks the other night vs. Miami.

FKAri
11-23-2015, 02:08 PM
Not a good example.

Lin is actually a hype machine form a string of games he played in D'Antoni's system. Porzingis is playing like a Top 3 rookie (at least) in his draft class. Porzingis also has far more upside that Lin ever was going to have.

It's also the market he's in and being a Top 4 pick. It's inevitable of his circumstances to get hype. Something new, someone unique, big market, high potential, etc...

No Lin actually turned out to be good. He's a 6th man In Charlotte. Dude was supposed to be a 12th man with one foot outside the league.

The hype wasn't about him being much better than that. The hype was the story of his history and leading the Knicks to wins when they needed it. In retrospect he didn't even overperform much during Linsanity aside from his FG%. That team was putrid and he got high usage. He was just exactly what that team needed a guy who could score and pass well out of the pick and roll. After Melo's injury the best scorer on that team aside from Lin was Landry Fields. Where is he now? It's not hard to look great on a team like that.

It's been 3 years and people still don't fckin realize this. Pure hype would be Anthony Bennett. Dude was picked number 1 overall and has still not shown he can even be in the league

Legends66NBA7
11-23-2015, 02:29 PM
No Lin actually turned out to be good. He's a 6th man In Charlotte. Dude was supposed to be a 12th man with one foot outside the league.

The hype wasn't about him being much better than that. The hype was the story of his history and leading the Knicks to wins when they needed it. In retrospect he didn't even overperform much during Linsanity aside from his FG%. That team was putrid and he got high usage. He was just exactly what that team needed a guy who could score and pass well out of the pick and roll. After Melo's injury the best scorer on that team aside from Lin was Landry Fields. Where is he now? It's not hard to look great on a team like that.

It's been 3 years and people still don't fckin realize this. Pure hype would be Anthony Bennett. Dude was picked number 1 overall and has still not shown he can even be in the league

Bennett was hype ? Thought everyone knew it was a mistake to draft him 1st overall.

The team still had Amare, Chandler, JR Smith, and Novak off the bench. Fields only led the team in scoring once during that run. I think my problem is that Lin was actually getting comparisons to proven players and better PG's than him because of the run and that even people were saying he was better than Melo.

I do admit him staying in the league this long is a major success. He probably should have been out of the league.

LikeMike
11-23-2015, 02:57 PM

Agreed. People act like he'll be Jordan mixed with Kareem, but in reality, his peak is more of a more agile Dirk mixed with Yao.

Cocaine80s
11-23-2015, 03:09 PM
hes just overhyped by white people

same way Lin was overhyped by asians

brain drain
11-23-2015, 03:10 PM
Agreed. People act like he'll be Jordan mixed with Kareem, but in reality, his peak is more of a more agile Dirk mixed with Yao.

You do realize that a "more agile Dirk mixed with Yao" would probably be a top 10 player of all time.

Norcaliblunt
11-23-2015, 03:14 PM
Non blacks love to hype their guys and blacks love to hate on them. Nothing new here.

LikeMike
11-23-2015, 03:14 PM
You do realize that a "more agile Dirk mixed with Yao" would probably be a top 10 player of all time.

smoovegittar
11-23-2015, 06:06 PM
Eh, the over-hyping is just a way to separate the noobs from those who "know". I really like the kid, but he's gonna have his learning curve.

...and I don't blame my fellow NY fans who are tired of being booted around in this place. There's been more KP threads than LeBron threads over the last week. Refreshing. :oldlol:

hateraid
11-23-2015, 06:56 PM
Eh, the over-hyping is just a way to separate the noobs from those who "know". I really like the kid, but he's gonna have his learning curve.

...and I don't blame my fellow NY fans who are tired of being booted around in this place. There's been more KP threads than LeBron threads over the last week. Refreshing. :oldlol:
The thing is it's the noobs who do the over hyping then are the first to do the bashing was the hype train dies down. That's what gets annoying

hateraid
11-23-2015, 06:59 PM
Not a good example.

I wasn't talking in terms of career paths. I'm talking more in terms of the amount of exposure which will lead to the inevitable over bashing. The hype is reaching Lin status. These noobs are like locusts when the they milk the exposure.

Hey Yo
11-23-2015, 07:02 PM
Perfecting the skyhook

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CUh8YTvXIAAC9UK.jpg

hateraid
11-23-2015, 07:14 PM
By God, it's surpassing Lin status. I feel bad for the dude if he has 1 bad game

Rocketswin2013
11-23-2015, 07:17 PM
I was on the bandwagon before the draft. It's not even fun anymore. Maybe it's my anti-conformism kicking in.

smoovegittar
11-23-2015, 07:19 PM
The thing is it's the noobs who do the over hyping then are the first to do the bashing was the hype train dies down. That's what gets annoying

Oh, I agree. ISH is built on "annoying"...