PDA

View Full Version : Knicks are one piece away from being a contending team

Patrick Chewing
11-24-2015, 10:38 AM
Knicks look good out there. But I think they need a legit 3rd scoring option behind Melo and Zinger. Afflalo is nice, but he's not the guy. This is where I think a guy like J.R. Smith would actually make a difference even though he's a cancer.

The weakest link on this team to me is Robin Lopez. Even replacing Lopez with a Center that can score would be an improvement.

el gringos
11-24-2015, 02:14 PM
JR and Bargnani would be perfect. But they had to be the scapegoats.

I'm not sure this team is 1 piece away or not but definitely think there should be an effort made to try and trade for a 1st/2nd option type. Fisher is too dumb to coach 12 guys he thinks should play. You might have to give him an unbalanced roster where he doesn't have many decisions. (Of course if he'll play Thomas and Amundsen maybe there isn't a way other than 4-5 rookies)

el gringos
11-24-2015, 02:25 PM
Wizards get Dwight

Rockets get r Lopez, saraphin, dwill

Knicks get Nene, humphries, dekker

Not that nene is that "1" guy but he would be a great fit with Carmelo and porzingis and the triangle. His interior passing w Carmelo is so beautiful to watch. And dekker is the guy Phil wanted with the pick he got grant at. Dekker could play 2, 3, or 4 and get Thomas off the court eventually

knickscity
11-25-2015, 05:53 AM
Knicks look good out there. But I think they need a legit 3rd scoring option behind Melo and Zinger. Afflalo is nice, but he's not the guy. This is where I think a guy like J.R. Smith would actually make a difference even though he's a cancer.

The weakest link on this team to me is Robin Lopez. Even replacing Lopez with a Center that can score would be an improvement.
Our weakness is clearly at the guard position, both of them. Even though Lopez is overpaid he does do some decent things out there. He was a wasted purchase though.

The team could use a third option, but JR is not that guy at all.

Patrick Chewing
11-25-2015, 11:07 AM
JR and Bargnani would be perfect. But they had to be the scapegoats.

I'm not sure this team is 1 piece away or not but definitely think there should be an effort made to try and trade for a 1st/2nd option type. Fisher is too dumb to coach 12 guys he thinks should play. You might have to give him an unbalanced roster where he doesn't have many decisions. (Of course if he'll play Thomas and Amundsen maybe there isn't a way other than 4-5 rookies)

How can you say that with a straight face??

Patrick Chewing
11-25-2015, 11:08 AM
Actually, now that I think about it, Shved would have been nice to have in this offense.

Knicks should sign Fredette.

el gringos
11-25-2015, 03:50 PM
How can you say that with a straight face??
I didn't. But this team does need more scoring. Watching saraphin and Sasha try to provide it is ugly.

Kobe, clarkson, nance jr
For
Calderon, afflalo, dwill, saraphin, 1st, 2 2nds

smoovegittar
11-25-2015, 06:03 PM
Actually, now that I think about it, Shved would have been nice to have in this offense.

Knicks should sign Fredette.

How could you say THAT with a straight face?

Patrick Chewing
11-25-2015, 06:16 PM
How could you say THAT with a straight face?

Fredette can ball man.

el gringos
11-25-2015, 08:04 PM
I always liked jimmer and think he could fill a role. Esp in the triangle. But he's already signed w New Orleans

I would love a trade for Fournier or Alec burks or wroten.

Patrick Chewing
11-25-2015, 11:23 PM
I always liked jimmer and think he could fill a role. Esp in the triangle. But he's already signed w New Orleans

I would love a trade for Fournier or Alec burks or wroten.

Pelicans cut Fredette. He's playing on our D-League team.

smoovegittar
11-26-2015, 11:14 AM
Fredette can ball man.

If the cat can ball, why isn't he in the league when the likes of Lin, Felton and Jack can find work?

Draz
11-26-2015, 04:28 PM
If the cat can ball, why isn't he in the league when the likes of Lin, Felton and Jack can find work?
Heard he can't play D for shit, maybe that's why.. Idk

Patrick Chewing
11-26-2015, 11:09 PM
Heard he can't play D for shit, maybe that's why.. Idk

Right. His defense is non-existent. Only thing Jimmer has going for him is that he can create his own shot and get hot in a hurry.

Da KO King
12-05-2015, 06:02 PM
Right. His defense is non-existent. Only thing Jimmer has going for him is that he can create his own shot and get hot in a hurry.
Freddette cannot create his own offense. It's part of why he can't find a long-term spot.

Da KO King
12-05-2015, 06:14 PM
I like the enthusiasm but this team is definitely more than one piece away.

el gringos
12-09-2015, 09:26 PM
I like the enthusiasm but this team is definitely more than one piece away.
2 pieces? Enes Kanter and Dion Waiters?

Enes, waiters, singler, Novak
For
Afflalo, RoLo,dwill, cleanthony

Okc is way over the luxury tax line. Could they bite ? Afflalo and Lopez "seem perfect" for them don't they?

A Carmelo/KP/Kanter frontcourt could be dangerous. And waiters could be a guard at either spot that has a higher ceiling/impact than Galloway or grant

bluechox2
12-09-2015, 11:30 PM
last years knicks making a cameo these past few games

Da KO King
12-12-2015, 06:40 AM
To be a title contender you need to fit into one of the following categories: a team with two "top 5" players at their respective positions (ie. Lakers with Kobe & Shaq), three "top 10 players (Heat teams a few years ago), four or more "top 20" (some GMs/scouts say it has to be top 15; Warriors currently fit this example).

I know you're going to do what everyone (including myself) did when learning this. You're going to try thinking of exceptions to this rule. They don't exist. Look at every title winner and they fit a category. The only exceptions that exist are a small handful of runner-ups.

The newest must-have for a contender (something that I'm currently discussing to see if this is widely agreed on) is that you gotta have a wing/backup PG that can play alongside the starter but defend the opposition's primary handler. With the emphasis on ballscreens in the game today not having a player in this mold on your team guarantees your starting PG will breakdown physically late in the season/playoffs. Extremely conservative math says that the average starting PG will get hit with 1500+ screens over a season. The Clippers have legitimately tracked this for Chris Paul and put his number at 2300+.

I mention all that to say, the Knicks just aren't close. This team is not two role-players away. They are multiple "stars" away. Even if you believe Kristaps Porzingis is a top 20 PF, you still only have two top 20 players. Plus you don't have wing/backup that can defend for your starter.

The team looks closer to contending than it did last season but they are still years away.