PDA

View Full Version : Current Whiteside or peak Dwight Howard?

dannysc305
11-24-2015, 07:57 PM
Wondering just how good some of you think Whiteside may be

HenryGarfunkle
11-24-2015, 07:58 PM
Peak Howard and it's not close

oarabbus
11-24-2015, 08:08 PM
What? Peak Dwight took a team to the finals. Call me when Whiteside wins a playoff game (which I'm sure will be this postseason).

Uncle Drew
11-24-2015, 08:09 PM
You should be banned for making this thread. This is blasphemous.

GOBB
First time reading the main forum and I see this dumb thread. I'm scared to scroll the first page now. :facepalm

FKAri
Wondering just how good some of you think Whiteside may be

Your post and your thread title are asking different questions :oldlol:

I don't know what his ceiling can be. A rich man's DeAndre Jordan I think which is pretty close to peak Howard. Not sure if he can reach it.

Peak Howard is certainly better than current Whiteside.

r0drig0lac
11-24-2015, 08:10 PM
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/images/smilies/wtf.gif

04mzwach
11-24-2015, 08:12 PM
He has an attitude problem. We'll see if it can reach Dwight peak in a few years.

SouBeachTalents
11-24-2015, 08:14 PM
Dwight in his peak was a 20 ppg scorer, 3x DPOY, top 5 player in the league and led his team to the Finals. Laughably idiotic thread

dannysc305
11-24-2015, 08:15 PM
Idk maybe I am an optimistic Heat fan but I feel like 'Side has peak Dwight potential & was wondering how high the people on this board were on him. How about this... Better rim protector 'Side or peak Dwight?

Uncle Drew
11-24-2015, 08:15 PM
Idk maybe I am an optimistic Heat fan but I feel like 'Side has peak Dwight potential & was wondering how high the people on this board were on him. How about this... Better rim protector 'Side or peak Dwight?
Dwight Howard. Again, not close.

Milbuck
11-24-2015, 08:24 PM
Whiteside is nice but peak Dwight was arguably the best player in the league. At the very least top 5, MVP candidate. 20+ scorer and best defender of his generation.

Jameerthefear
11-24-2015, 08:26 PM
kek

plowking
11-24-2015, 08:28 PM
Dwight was far more dynamic that Whiteside. One of his biggest advantages.

Hassan will have to really buckle down and get extremely good in the post if he wants to pass Dwight, simply due to his great capability and versatility on the court.

derb2k2
11-24-2015, 08:30 PM
I'll just say this:

**** these mobile ads. Jeff wtf bro!

HenryGarfunkle
11-24-2015, 08:31 PM
Whiteside is just a shot blocker/rebounder right now

The entire Magic offense and defense revolved around Dwight at his peak, and he should have an MVP to his name

People keep talking about Whitesides impact like he's LeBron James or something. This guy isn't bullying people in the paint nor is he a fantastic defender right now. He's tall as **** with a long wingspan and good blocking instincts .... but he routinely gets scored on 1v1 in the paint and isn't quick enough to defend the pick n roll well

He's a fantasy beast, a stat-sheet stuffer. But he's no Dwight Howard and he never will be

TiagoSimoes
11-24-2015, 08:32 PM
Whiteside is a really nice player, but i think his lack of passing/bb iq is such a liability.

And to answer OP's question, Peak Howard, not even close, dumb question.

TheNaturalWR
11-24-2015, 08:36 PM
Am I the only Heat fan that doesn't think Whiteside is that good? I can't be the only one....:facepalm

HenryGarfunkle
11-24-2015, 08:45 PM
Am I the only Heat fan that doesn't think Whiteside is that good? I can't be the only one....:facepalm
You're not the only one bro... he really isn't THAT good.

Offensively the guy is flat-out bad, or average at best

and he gets overrated defensively because of blocked shots, similar to how people thought Ibaka was elite defensively because he led the league in blocks

jimmy77x
11-24-2015, 08:46 PM

Pretty much. Scrubside is just an Identical player to Deandre Jordan. Only scores on dunks/ putbacks and being hand-fed points. Good at protecting the paint, so he's pretty much a rebounder/ rim protector who has 0 offensive talent.

ShaqTwizzle
11-24-2015, 08:49 PM
Zinger >>> Peak Dwight >>>>> Joel Anthony 2.0

Smoke117
11-24-2015, 09:09 PM
Pretty much. Scrubside is just an Identical player to Deandre Jordan. Only scores on dunks/ putbacks and being hand-fed points. Good at protecting the paint, so he's pretty much a rebounder/ rim protector who has 0 offensive talent.

lol...Whitesides impact defensively this season is much bigger than Jordans ever was. I don't know how saying Whiteside is better than Porzingis has started such ridiculous backlash against him now...but whatever.

Is he better than a peak Dwight Howard? Of course not. I don't remember anyone even entertaining that notion.

GrapeApe
11-24-2015, 10:02 PM
Zinger >>> Peak Dwight >>>>> Joel Anthony 2.0

I know you're joking, but Joel Anthony couldn't even catch a pass. No exaggeration, he may be the worst offensive player in NBA history. Whiteside is peak Hakeem in comparison.

As for the thread topic, obviously peak Howard is better. Whiteside has somehow become underrated and overrated at the same time. I think it's due to his emergence out of nowhere being so unique and unprecedented. It's still difficult to know what to make of him because we've never really seen anything like this before. He's one of the most interesting and intriguing players to come along in years.

From the "underrated' perspective, let's look at what he's doing right now. He's leading the league in shot blocking and doing it at a historic level. He's 4th in the league in rebounding, 2nd in fg%, and 6th in PER. He's averaging 15 ppg so it's not like he's a complete stiff offensively. Yes Wade does spoon feed him many of his points, but nevertheless he's a threat on offense, especially in the PnR. It's early, but right now he's a legit all-star and DPOY candidate. All of the aforementioned is pretty insane when you consider he's still yet to play a full NBA season's worth of games.

Now let's look at things from the "overrated" perspective. As someone mentioned, he's a fantasy machine and it's easy to get enamored by his numbers. The fact remains that he still has some serious holes in his game. He's not a great post defender, he gets lost too frequently on rotations, he's turnover prone, he's a poor passer (10 career assists), and he's severely limited with the ball is in his hands. He has cleaned up the foul issues though.

Bottom line, it's still too early to make any definitive judgments about him. If he keeps playing at a high level while continuing to expand his game and improve, he has the potential to be a major force in the league for several years. Even if he's overrated to some degree at this point, his impact is undeniable.

Spurs m8
11-24-2015, 10:14 PM
**** both of these dudes, The Zinger will be where its at tbh

WadeStan
11-24-2015, 10:19 PM
I know you're joking, but Joel Anthony couldn't even catch a pass. No exaggeration, he may be the worst offensive player in NBA history. Whiteside is peak Hakeem in comparison.

As for the thread topic, obviously peak Howard is better. Whiteside has somehow become underrated and overrated at the same time. I think it's due to his emergence out of nowhere being so unique and unprecedented. It's still difficult to know what to make of him because we've never really seen anything like this before. He's one of the most interesting and intriguing players to come along in years.

From the "underrated' perspective, let's look at what he's doing right now. He's leading the league in shot blocking and doing it at a historic level. He's 4th in the league in rebounding, 2nd in fg%, and 6th in PER. He's averaging 15 ppg so it's not like he's a complete stiff offensively. Yes Wade does spoon feed him many of his points, but nevertheless he's a threat on offense, especially in the PnR. It's early, but right now he's a legit all-star and DPOY candidate. All of the aforementioned is pretty insane when you consider he's still yet to play a full NBA season's worth of games.

Now let's look at things from the "overrated" perspective. As someone mentioned, he's a fantasy machine and it's easy to get enamored by his numbers. The fact remains that he still has some serious holes in his game. He's not a great post defender, he gets lost too frequently on rotations, he's turnover prone, he's a poor passer (10 career assists), and he's severely limited with the ball is in his hands. He has cleaned up the foul issues though.

Bottom line, it's still too early to make any definitive judgments about him. If he keeps playing at a high level while continuing to expand his game and improve, he has the potential to be a major force in the league for several years. Even if he's overrated to some degree at this point, his impact is undeniable.

Pretty much. Good post. :rockon:

DMAVS41
11-24-2015, 10:26 PM
???

Howard...not close.

pmj
11-24-2015, 11:04 PM
Not even close to peak Howard. Better question would be peak Tyson Chandler.

People are underrating Whiteside offensively though, he has great touch around the rim. He looks like a natural with the ball when he has position and is not doubled. His problem is he has tunnel vision, can't pass, and takes bad shots sometimes. He also cries if people don't pass to him. Basically a knucklehead, and it's the reason why someone like Chandler might be more impactful despite Whiteside being basically better at offense, rebounding and blocking already.

FKAri
11-24-2015, 11:11 PM

Joel Anthony is an example of how a guy with ZERO BASKETBALL TALENT but fairly decent athleticism, size and hard work can be a starter on a Lebron team :lol

Those Bibby/Anthony lineups were hilarious.

JohnFreeman
11-24-2015, 11:15 PM
Are people forgetting how good Howard was?

Wade's Rings
11-24-2015, 11:15 PM
Joel Anthony is an example of how a guy with ZERO BASKETBALL TALENT but fairly decent athleticism, size and hard work can be a starter on a Lebron team :lol

He was starting in '09, when Jermaine came he came off the bench.

nba_55
11-24-2015, 11:17 PM

Good post.

Smoke117
11-24-2015, 11:22 PM

No...he's an example of a team having absolutely nobody worthwhile to play at center.

Wade's Rings
11-24-2015, 11:22 PM

He has shown a post move or 2 on the block. He just gets way too low when going into his dropstep or making a move that's not a hook.

FKAri
11-24-2015, 11:23 PM
He was starting in '09, when Jermaine came he came off the bench.

I didn't mean to slight Wade in my original post. I just meant what a great superstar can do. Wade in 2009 was on Lebron's level imo