PDA

View Full Version : 1958, when Muslims laughed at the idea of imposing the hijab to women

Jameerthefear
11-25-2015, 02:15 PM
https://youtu.be/iv0agvY3jvo

DonDadda59
11-25-2015, 02:21 PM
The move in Muslim society towards orthodoxy and even radicalization is a relatively new phenomena.

It should serve as a warning for any fools who want more religion in Western societies. Nothing good will come of it.

Patrick Chewing
11-25-2015, 03:27 PM
What an amazing video. Seems like Islam has regressed since then. Going backwards instead of forwards. Videos like this should be shown all over the Islamic world.

Muslim rulers think themselves Gods. Imposing such inhumane laws towards women and men alike. That type of thinking has no place in today's society.

NumberSix
11-25-2015, 03:33 PM
Now take a look at what their next door neighbor (Saudi Arabia) looked like in 1958. I mean, in 1958, the African slave trade was still perfectly legal in Saudi Arabia.

Nick Young
11-25-2015, 03:37 PM
Yep. This neo-fundamentalism only became a thing in the past 80-100 years or so, mainly due to the influence of Haj Amin al-Husseini and Yasser Arafat. Why did Muslims in Asia allow bloodthirsty genocidal psychos to influence their society so much?:confusedshrug:

Egyptian women in Cairo in the 50s
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/f3/1b/de/f31bdea458c6108d3b1030510133beba.jpg

Egyptian women on a beach in Alexandria
http://www.cairoscene.com/ArticleImages/45b71d62-462e-4a8e-8e28-26313de31805.jpg

Tehran University students in 1971
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/__e2VLp6gwyk/SeWT-PY8qJI/AAAAAAAADFQ/OE_IOypofH0/s320/BR9.jpg

An Iranian housewife in the 70s
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/95/60/b0/9560b06a4d9431a40353504da3f5bb0f.jpg

Radical Islam destroys everything it touches.

Nick Young
11-25-2015, 03:38 PM
Now take a look at what their next door neighbor (Saudi Arabia) looked like in 1958. I mean, in 1958, the African slave trade was still perfectly legal in Saudi Arabia.
Pretty sure that the African slave trade is still perfectly legal in Saudi Arabia.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/files/2013/10/slavery-per-capita-map-wo-arrows.jpg

Patrick Chewing
11-25-2015, 03:51 PM

Looks like the rise of Saudi Arabia gave way to Wahhabism and the dreams of a modern, more Democratic Islam were destroyed.

Patrick Chewing
11-25-2015, 03:53 PM
An Iranian housewife in the 70s
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/95/60/b0/9560b06a4d9431a40353504da3f5bb0f.jpg

Oh man I can fap to that!

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/275/147/a9b.gif

NumberSix
11-25-2015, 04:03 PM
Looks like the rise of Saudi Arabia gave way to Wahhabism and the dreams of a modern, more Democratic Islam were destroyed.
Well, let's also not forget that these people in the Middle East lived in a caliphate until the early 1900s. Let's not act like there is some long history of modernity in the region or that a move to orthodoxy is some new phenomena.

The Middle East saw a brief window of modernity for like 40-50 years. And let's not fool ourselves. That was entirely due to western influence in the region after the fall of the caliphate. But Muslims gonna Muslim. After that brief window of modernity, they wanted their caliphate back.

imdaman99
11-25-2015, 04:33 PM
BINGO! Wahhabis are a problem to Muslims and the rest of the world.

tomtucker
11-26-2015, 05:11 AM
holy shit...thanks for sharing..........looks like muslims are the first to invent the time travel machine........Muhammed McFly :applause:

tomtucker
11-26-2015, 05:21 AM
muslims going back insted of forward........hope they bring it everywhere, i allways wanted to see dinosaurs walking the earth again

TheMan
11-26-2015, 11:16 AM
muslims going back insted of forward........hope they bring it everywhere, i allways wanted to see dinosaurs walking the earth again
It wasn't always that way though and they do have a history of being a progressive religion. When the Moors conquered (and I use the term lightly because surprisingly most Spanish towns welcomed the Moors as liberators since they were fed up with their despotic Visigothic rulers), the Muslims founded the city of Cordoba and it became the most progressive, educated and influential city in Europe while the rest of it was going through the Dark Ages. Thanks to Muslims that the works of the Greek philosophers (Socrates, Plato etc) were preserved or else they would've been lost to mankind. The Moors were tolerant to other religions, they very much stressed education and created beautiful works of architechure and were the most advanced society in mathematics during that era.

Islam doesn't necessarilly means backwards thought, the move to orthodoxy is a recent trend and the Saudi's version of Islam has had a cancerous effect on the religion.

Check this British documentary out, especially the more anti Islam of you, it's a bit long but it opened my eyes up a bit...and I have a new found respect for that religion I didn't have before watching it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM8HnvuKbAo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

NumberSix
11-26-2015, 05:09 PM
It wasn't always that way though and they do have a history of being a progressive religion. When the Moors conquered (and I use the term lightly because surprisingly most Spanish towns welcomed the Moors as liberators since they were fed up with their despotic Visigothic rulers), the Muslims founded the city of Cordoba and it became the most progressive, educated and influential city in Europe while the rest of it was going through the Dark Ages. Thanks to Muslims that the works of the Greek philosophers (Socrates, Plato etc) were preserved or else they would've been lost to mankind. The Moors were tolerant to other religions, they very much stressed education and created beautiful works of architechure and were the most advanced society in mathematics during that era.
It's really beyond me why people have this obsession with giving Muslims credit for things they had absolutely nothing to do with.

Have you really not noticed that anything "advanced" that's attributed to Muslims just happens to take place in places where Muslims rule over non-Muslims? Why do none of these advancements come out of places where it's only Muslims?

You like the so-called "Muslim" architecture in Spain, huh? Shouldn't North Africa be covered by that same architecture? Why did all the medical and scientific advancements come out of Iraq, which was mostly populated by Assyrian Christians? Why did absolutely zero advancements come out of Arabia?

And the moors were not "tolerant". They were jihadists. They had the exact same set of rules for non-Muslims that ISIS does right now.

And why the hell do you think Greek works would have been lost to history? The only threat to them was the Muslim invasion. They were fine before that. Yes, let's all be thankful that the Muslims invaded and destroyed most works, but saved a few. Oh, where would we be without them. :rolleyes:

Lebowsky
11-26-2015, 07:01 PM

Islam doesn't necessarilly means backwards thought, the move to orthodoxy is a recent trend and the Saudi's version of Islam has had a cancerous effect on the religion.

Check this British documentary out, especially the more anti Islam of you, it's a bit long but it opened my eyes up a bit...and I have a new found respect for that religion I didn't have before watching it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM8HnvuKbAo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Many historical inaccuracies in this post. These wasn't such thing as "spanish towns who welcomed the Moors as liberators". The Spanish peninsula was initially populated by a mixture of Phoenician, Greek, Roman, Iberian and Celtic tribes, with the addition of the latter waves of Germanic invaders which would eventually result in the Visigothic kingdom. A vast majority of the population was Visigothic by the time the Moors started their invasion, and the only ones who welcomed the Moors(and actively supported them) were the Jews.
Furthermore, Cordoba wasn't founded by the Moors but by the Romans some 8 centuries earlier.

TheMan
11-26-2015, 07:08 PM
It's really beyond me why people have this obsession with giving Muslims credit for things they had absolutely nothing to do with.

Have you really not noticed that anything "advanced" that's attributed to Muslims just happens to take place in places where Muslims rule over non-Muslims? Why do none of these advancements come out of places where it's only Muslims?

You like the so-called "Muslim" architecture in Spain, huh? Shouldn't North Africa be covered by that same architecture? Why did all the medical and scientific advancements come out of Iraq, which was mostly populated by Assyrian Christians? Why did absolutely zero advancements come out of Arabia?

And the moors were not "tolerant". They were jihadists. They had the exact same set of rules for non-Muslims that ISIS does right now.

And why the hell do you think Greek works would have been lost to history? The only threat to them was the Muslim invasion. They were fine before that. Yes, let's all be thankful that the Muslims invaded and destroyed most works, but saved a few. Oh, where would we be without them. :rolleyes:
Christians also have a history of superstitious shit, ever hear of the Inquisition and Salem Witch Trials to name but a few?

I can tell you didn't even bother to watch a little bit of the documentary I posted a link to :facepalm

The architecture was headed by Muslim architechs and you do find gorgeous ancient structures in Muslim countries, stop being ignorant.

http://thecultureur.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/img_2215.jpeg
I'm as anti radical Islam (or any religion really) as the rest of youbut I'm also not blind nor willfully stupid.

TheMan
11-26-2015, 07:14 PM
Many historical inaccuracies in this post. These wasn't such thing as "spanish towns who welcomed the Moors as liberators". The Spanish peninsula was initially populated by a mixture of Phoenician, Greek, Roman, Iberian and Celtic tribes, with the addition of the latter waves of Germanic invaders which would eventually result in the Visigothic kingdom. A vast majority of the population was Visigothic by the time the Moors started their invasion, and the only ones who welcomed the Moors(and actively supported them) were the Jews.
Furthermore, Cordoba wasn't founded by the Moors but by the Romans some 8 centuries earlier.
I realize that Spain was a bunch of kingdoms before it became the country we now know.

OK, Cordoba wasn't founded by the Moors but it certainly had it peak during Muslim control...

Watch the damn documentary :banghead:

Lebowsky
11-26-2015, 07:14 PM
Picture too small, can barely see. Care to post a bigger one?

NumberSix
11-26-2015, 07:15 PM
Christians also have a history of superstitious shit, ever hear of the Inquisition and Salem Witch Trials to name but a few?

I can tell you didn't even bother to watch a little bit of the documentary I posted a link to :facepalm

The architecture was headed by Muslim architechs and you do find gorgeous ancient structures in Muslim countries, stop being ignorant.

http://thecultureur.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/img_2215.jpeg
I'm as anti radical Islam (or any religion really) as the rest of youbut I'm also not blind nor willfully stupid.
That's the Hagia Sophia. It was built by the Byzantines (orthodox Christians).

TheMan
11-26-2015, 08:25 PM
Ok, whatever, watch the damn documentary and you'll see that Muslims did build great monuments, stop being a willfully ignorant hater :mad:

9erempiree
11-26-2015, 08:44 PM

I studied this building in one of my classes.

Blue&Orange
11-26-2015, 09:29 PM
What an amazing video. Seems like Islam has regressed since then. Going backwards instead of forwards. Videos like this should be shown all over the Islamic world.

Muslim rulers think themselves Gods. Imposing such inhumane laws towards women and men alike. That type of thinking has no place in today's society.
Well we got to thank USA for creating hatred for the western world and radicalization of islam.

Good job :applause:

Patrick Chewing
11-26-2015, 09:50 PM
Well we got to thank USA for creating hatred for the western world and radicalization of islam.

Good job :applause:

Are you mentally handicapped?

Blue&Orange
11-26-2015, 10:08 PM
Are you mentally handicapped?
lol this ape. I'm truly sorry you aren't behind bars and i can't throw you some peanuts.

Soundwave
11-26-2015, 10:14 PM
This is why you don't let conservative religious nuts dominate your political process and take over your government.

In the West, religion is like a dog ... but a dog that's been neutered and had its teeth removed. Sure it can bark once in a while, but it's mostly harmless with no power and no balls anymore.

It's fine to have freedom of religion in a society, but it belongs in the backseat and neutered, not driving the damn car.

Science, reason, and yes even captialistic invention needs to drive a society, not religions written 2000-3000 years ago by Middle Eastern goat herders (that goes for all the Abrhamic faiths).

NumberSix
11-26-2015, 11:16 PM
Ok, whatever, watch the damn documentary and you'll see that Muslims did build great monuments, stop being a willfully ignorant hater :mad:
This may come as a shock to you, but I've seen it multiple times. Bettany Hughes is usually pretty good, but she for some reason feels some need to sugar coat when it comes to this particular subject.

JEFFERSON MONEY
11-26-2015, 11:47 PM
This is why you don't let conservative religious nuts dominate your political process and take over your government.

In the West, religion is like a dog ... but a dog that's been neutered and had its teeth removed. Sure it can bark once in a while, but it's mostly harmless with no power and no balls anymore.

It's fine to have freedom of religion in a society, but it belongs in the backseat and neutered, not driving the damn car.

Science, reason, and yes even captialistic invention needs to drive a society, not religions written 2000-3000 years ago by Middle Eastern goat herders (that goes for all the Abrhamic faiths).

:facepalm

Judging by how subpar your analogies are you'd do well to read any of those Scriptures as the parables written within are loaded with brilliant analogies that hold eternal truths within them.

And no they were not written by goat herders. Could an illiterate goat herder write a book that has qualities such as this: ? Seriously consider rebuking this.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvWAO_y3TNM

Science is the process of finding information through the natural world with the use of empirical evidence deduced from the scientific method.
Religion is a lifestyle to increase faith and its adherents to come closer to God. It also demands reflection and pondering upon God's creations along with supplications. These things can inadvertently lead to sonar and radar imitating porpoises and bats.

They both have their place. Soon, be it in a few years or a few decades, the Islamic Republic of Iran as well as Turkey will show the world firsthand how a civilization can excel in all domains; from inner spiritual realities and unshakeable faith to outer prosperity in the sciences. Just as Byzantium had a beautiful harmonious blend of both. Just as it once was in the New Kingdom of Egypt.

America was still largely Christian in its arguable zenith of 1958 in which militaristially, economically, by metric of its space voyages it was doing quite well.

By the way, thank you TheMan for trying to give credit where credit is due. Expect good things to come your way soon :)

Patrick Chewing
11-27-2015, 12:01 AM
Soon, be it in a few years or a few decades, the Islamic Republic of Iran as well as Turkey will show the world firsthand how a civilization can excel in all domains; from inner spiritual realities and unshakeable faith to outer prosperity in the sciences.

:oldlol:

Spoken like a true zealot.

Soundwave
11-28-2015, 05:27 AM
:facepalm

Judging by how subpar your analogies are you'd do well to read any of those Scriptures as the parables written within are loaded with brilliant analogies that hold eternal truths within them.

And no they were not written by goat herders. Could an illiterate goat herder write a book that has qualities such as this: ? Seriously consider rebuking this.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvWAO_y3TNM

Science is the process of finding information through the natural world with the use of empirical evidence deduced from the scientific method.
Religion is a lifestyle to increase faith and its adherents to come closer to God. It also demands reflection and pondering upon God's creations along with supplications. These things can inadvertently lead to sonar and radar imitating porpoises and bats.

They both have their place. Soon, be it in a few years or a few decades, the Islamic Republic of Iran as well as Turkey will show the world firsthand how a civilization can excel in all domains; from inner spiritual realities and unshakeable faith to outer prosperity in the sciences. Just as Byzantium had a beautiful harmonious blend of both. Just as it once was in the New Kingdom of Egypt.

America was still largely Christian in its arguable zenith of 1958 in which militaristially, economically, by metric of its space voyages it was doing quite well.

By the way, thank you TheMan for trying to give credit where credit is due. Expect good things to come your way soon :)

While most Americans identify as religious, in actuality most really only pay it lip service. America is driven by the pursuit of obtaining the most "stuff". That religion really is the pursuit of money.

Which isn't necessarily all bad, it requires a capital economy which requires a stable, common sensical sense of stable society and security to function and rewards scientific ingenuity and creates intense competition to innovate.

Religion in the West was neutered a long time ago, it is not the driving force of Western society and hasn't been for a long, long time.

Islamic countries meanwhile ... religious zealots dominate all aspects of their government, culture, and societal law. And look at what a gong show basically all their countries are, even Turkey.

Seperating church and state is a good thing for a good freaking reason, there's a reason why virtually every successful Western country adheres to basically some variation of that ... because it's the 21ST CENTURY. Not the Middle ages, most of the people who wrote the Bible would worship a flushing toilet if you showed them one because they wouldn't understand how it works.

All the wonderful parables ... here's one ... just because f**king nice to other people, don't be an asshole. It's not that freaking complicated to be a functional normal person of society, if you need a book to tell you how to be a compassionate, normal human being it's not religion you lack, but humanity ... in which case I doubt any book will really keep your inner ass from coming out eventually.

Nick Young
11-28-2015, 05:31 AM

[/IMG]

Ah yes, the Hagia Sophia. A beautiful church built and designed by Christian Greek architects Anthemius of Tralles and Isidore of Miletus in 537 AD, later captured by Muslims and turned in to a mosque. The only thing the muslims did to this building was cover the Christian art with Arabic calligraphy, and they built some minarets on the outside.

Nice feat of engineering there, Muslims.

The Hagia Sophia is IMO the most beautiful building in the world. I have actually been there before! It was the most amazing building I have ever stepped foot inside and the outside is beautiful too. Muslims did very little aside from covering the inside walls and pillars with Arabic writing, and adding minarets that make the outside look worse.

What documentary did you watch?

Nick Young
11-28-2015, 05:37 AM
The Muslims eventually built something on par with the Hagia Sophia-the Taj Mahal. It only took around 1,000 years for them to get around to it.

#getbetteratarchitecture
#notallmuslimarchitects

Lebowsky
11-28-2015, 05:44 AM
The Muslims eventually built something on par with the Hagia Sophia-the Taj Mahal. It only took around 1,000 years for them to get around to it.

#getbetteratarchitecture
#notallmuslimarchitects

Ever heard of Medina Azahara? (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medina_Azahara)

NumberSix
11-28-2015, 07:03 AM

#getbetteratarchitecture
#notallmuslimarchitects
I'm not saying they've never done anything. I'm just saying people give them credit for shit they had nothing to do with. As evidenced by TheMan giving them credit for a church that was built a century before Islam existed.

NumberSix
11-28-2015, 07:05 AM
Structures full of roman arches built in Spain. Oh geez. What are the chances? Surely, some foreigners must have designed such a thing.

:rolleyes:

Nick Young
11-28-2015, 07:22 AM
not on par with Taj Mahal or Hagia Sophia.