PDA

View Full Version : Nearly a quarter into the season, and Duncan is still a defensive monster

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
11-28-2015, 02:14 PM
Guy has been in the league for HOW long now?

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/DRPM

People talk about Kareem's longevity, but what Timmy has done on defense his entire career... Unreal. In my opinion, this is what separates him from the lower tier of Top 10 greats.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
11-28-2015, 03:39 PM
Bump-a-roo

:cheers:

AirBonner
11-28-2015, 03:44 PM
Guy has been in the league for HOW long now?

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/DRPM

People talk about Kareem's longevity, but what Timmy has done on defense his entire career... Unreal. In my opinion, this is what separates him from the lower tier of Top 10 greats.
Agree. Duncan set out from day one to be a defensive force and still maintains that skill. Being a team player and playing with in himself is what separates him from lower tier players like Kobe :cheers:

fos
11-28-2015, 03:44 PM
David Lee is on this list...

T_L_P
11-28-2015, 03:47 PM

The individual creator(s) of RPM and RAPM have said separating Offensive and Defensive versions of the stat make them too complicated. They prefer just going by overall RPM/RAPM, of which Duncan is 7th in the league.

Tim is a treasure. Only making $5 million, getting way less touches than ever, yet he doesn't complain. He goes out there and plays great D, sets good screens and passes the ball well. He's an underrated bench supporter too because I always see him getting exciting for the guys.

Hard to hate on him. He whines too much and he's 'boring', that's about it.

Kawhi
11-28-2015, 03:50 PM
As great as Duncan is and has been, this stat is kinda meh. Kawhi is 60th in the entire league in DRPM, for instance.

catch24
11-28-2015, 03:51 PM
Wow, TD does have serious longevity. You're watching the GOAT PF brahs :applause:

The individual creator(s) of RPM and RAPM have said separating Offensive and Defensive versions of the stat make them too complicated. They prefer just going by overall RPM/RAPM, of which Duncan is 7th in the league.

Tim is a treasure. Only making $5 million, getting way less touches than ever, yet he doesn't complain. He goes out there and plays great D, sets good screens and passes the ball well. He's an underrated bench supporter too because I always see him getting exciting for the guys.

Hard to hate on him. He whines too much and he's 'boring', that's about it.

Yeah, but you also have to consider minutes. DMAVS41 and fpliii are big on RAPM/RPM and have said as much. Lee is on that list (#29 of all bigmen) because he only plays 15 minutes a game lol

DaOldLion
11-28-2015, 03:52 PM
As great as Duncan is and has been, this stat is kinda meh. Kawhi is 60th in the entire league in DRPM, for instance.

exactly this, having the DPOY beside you surely helps but Duncan's teammates don't get enough love

fpliii
11-28-2015, 03:54 PM
Because RPM includes a SPM (statistical plus minus) as its prior, which utilizes box score stats, height, age. This early in the season, there's also a small sample size issue since not too many possessions have been played (plus, the fewer possessions, the greater the influence of the prior).

Kawhi
11-28-2015, 03:56 PM
exactly this, having the DPOY beside you surely helps but Duncan's teammates don't get enough love
My post wasn't intended to say that Duncan has ''defensive help.'' It was my point to say that this stat is pretty broken. Duncan is the clearly the anchor of by far the best defense in the league.

I could have used Tony Allen as an example to say the exact same thing, who is ranked 96th.

JimmyMcAdocious
11-28-2015, 03:57 PM
Maybe David Lee is just playing good defense? :confusedshrug:

rmt
11-28-2015, 04:00 PM
And no DPOY to his name - what a shame.

Seems like the Spurs are reverting to days gone with stalwart defense and iso (post up) offense because of the nature of LMA's and Leonard's games. That beautiful ball movement just ain't there.

PJR
11-28-2015, 04:07 PM
Maybe David Lee is just playing good defense? :confusedshrug:

Nah RPM is just a garbage metric.

Rpm says Rudy Gobert and Hassan Whiteside are the 20th and 30th best centers defensively, respectively. Nah.

Duncan is obviously still a solid defender. But not because RPM tells you.

SHAQisGOAT
11-28-2015, 04:18 PM
Timmy not having even one DPOY award to his name is shameful...

stephanieg
11-28-2015, 07:04 PM
Duncan is so old school he won a title against the Knicks.

feyki
11-28-2015, 07:14 PM
Rpm is best "play by play" metric for me . Paul Millsap most underrated player in the league right now . I'm happy to see him in top 10 .

SCdac
11-28-2015, 07:23 PM
Duncan will Duncan :applause:

Young X
11-28-2015, 07:27 PM
What year(s) should Duncan have won DPOY? 2007?

Milbuck
11-28-2015, 07:36 PM
I know RPM tries to isolate your teammates when quantifying your impact, but to what extent is that actually the case? How much is RPM influenced by how good your team is (either offensively for ORPM, defensively for DRPM, or overall for overall RPM), and in particular, you playing on the most effective lineups on those teams? Not to mention roles, minutes, etc.

Would Steph Curry still be putting up god-tier RPM stats on the Sixers? Or does Golden State being a machine, and him being part of that machine (the main part) inflate his RPM stats?

Because I'm looking at some of these RPM stats for the Bucks and they're just baffling to me. Giannis has been the best defender on our team by far and I'm confident in saying he's one of the better defenders in the league, and yet he's a -1.55 in DRPM, not even top 7 for the Bucks...is it because our team as a whole is so garbage defensively and he plays the most minutes, skewing his RPM stats?

Greg Monroe who has been a defensive liability for us is a +1.40 in DRPM and is the highest Buck, which makes absolutely no sense to me. Chris Copeland who might be the worst defender in NBA history is higher than Middleton and Giannis.

T_L_P
11-28-2015, 07:38 PM
What year(s) should Duncan have won DPOY? 2007?

Yep. Personally I think 13 too, but 07 is really the only one that I think Duncan absolutely deserved.

Big Ben was just too good and in his prime he was a better defensive player than Duncan. What pissed me off was Bruce finishing with more votes than Duncan multiple times.

Young X
11-28-2015, 08:01 PM
Yep. Personally I think 13 too, but 07 is really the only one that I think Duncan absolutely deserved.

Big Ben was just too good and in his prime he was a better defensive player than Duncan. What pissed me off was Bruce finishing with more votes than Duncan multiple times.The competition in the early-mid 00's was unfair.

Wallace
KG
Mourning
Mutombo
Artest
J. O'Neal
Bowen
Kirilenko
Ratliff

If Duncan had played his prime 5 years later he'd definitely have atleast one DPOY.

Also, what about 2004?

Wallace didn't win that year, Artest did. I was always a fan of Artest but he didn't deserve the award over Duncan or Big Ben. The Spurs that year anchored by Duncan were the best defense in the 3 pt era statistically. Even ahead of the Pistons. Duncan had a decent case.