PDA

View Full Version : Is Tristan "$$$$$" Thompson earning his buck??

Gus Hemmingway
11-30-2015, 01:52 PM
6 game streak of 11 or more rebounds.

TT ranks 7th in the NBA w 10.3 RPG coming off the bench @ 27 MPG.

4th in the NBA in defensive rebound% at 30.7%, behind only Drummond, Jordan and Whiteside

Two teams with a pair of players in the top 20 for rebounding in the NBA
Cleveland- Love is 4th, TT is 7th
Miami- Whiteside is 5th, Bosh is 19th

An elite rim defender, nope. Thompson's strengths on defense are similar to Chris Bosh's - they are good pick and roll defenders. Not protecting the paint

Thoughts?

Proctor
11-30-2015, 01:55 PM
If you can find someone who does what TT does and does it that well, you pay them. Too much worrying about the word "max." He is elite at the few very important things that he does bring to the table, and the importance is only magnified in the playoffs when it really matters.

RedBlackAttack
11-30-2015, 01:58 PM
Well, he is one of the closers for the Cavs, so looking at him as a bench player isn't entirely true. He doesn't start games, but he finishes them which is more important imo. Will he ever be "worth" his contract? That depends if the Cavs win a title with him. If so, then yes, because he is a valuable part of the team.

The other things are that the guy never misses a game and he becomes more valuable when the playoffs start, the game slows down and it becomes more physical.

I am glad he is on our team, if that answers your question.

HurricaneKid
11-30-2015, 02:05 PM
Nope. His skill set is not where the league is going. He just clogs the paint and isn't nearly the defender people seem to want to suggest. And while his rebounding rate is plenty good but then why does the team's rebounding suffer when he is in?

A: He steals rebounds from teammates and doesn't team rebound.

Gus Hemmingway
11-30-2015, 02:07 PM
Well, he is one of the closers for the Cavs, so looking at him as a bench player isn't entirely true. He doesn't start games, but he finishes them which is more important imo. Will he ever be "worth" his contract? That depends if the Cavs win a title with him. If so, then yes, because he is a valuable part of the team.

The other things are that the guy never misses a game and he becomes more valuable when the playoffs start, the game slows down and it becomes more physical.

I am glad he is on our team, if that answers your question.

^^ good points

Another under valued statistic: Thompson has played in over 300+ straight games.

RedBlackAttack
11-30-2015, 02:16 PM
^^ good points

Another under valued statistic: Thompson has played in over 300+ straight games.
And the other thing is that his contract was put together with the new CBA in mind. That $16 million a year isn't going to look like a max contract for very long.

He is a unique player that we had no means to replace unless he re-signed. I didn't like the tactics his agents used, but he is invaluable to our playoff success.

Nash
11-30-2015, 03:38 PM
Who cares, Dan Gilbert wants to pay, if they lose him they got nothing.
Also salary cap going up soon, who cares?

Their core is Lebron, Kyrie, Shump, Love and TT.
Important to keep those guys at all cost.

Lebronxrings
11-30-2015, 03:40 PM
not not really...

Hes barely a top 30 powerforward and getting paid that much?

Half of that should be given to lebron for making it possible.

WayOfWade
11-30-2015, 03:45 PM
Does he deserve the money he's getting paid? Not really, he's obviously not worth that much. The MVP gets paid less than he does.
Is he earning it? I feel inclined to say yes, the Cavaliers are paying him to do exactly what he is doing, and he is doing it to the letter. Although he's getting overpaid, LeBron wasn't overstating his importance to the team before the season started.

inclinerator
11-30-2015, 03:51 PM
tristian big butt thompson

jbryan1984
11-30-2015, 07:21 PM
I mean, I don't think 90% of the NBA deserves what they make. The truth is probably 300 players in the NBA make 5 million or more and only 12 of those guys will win a championship. So, who is really worth what? Look at Joe Johnson this year and what he is making :facepalm That one hurts

I<3NBA
11-30-2015, 11:01 PM
he's earning it for sure. a lot of double doubles almost every game.

i thought he'd drop off and not play with effort once he got paid.

but he's still hustling out there. and that's all that matters when you pay someone that much.

DeuceWallaces
11-30-2015, 11:04 PM
If you're paid 80 mil to rebound you should average 12-13, not go on streaks of 11.

That being said, if they win it or get far in the Finals it will be worth the money.