PDA

View Full Version : If the Warriors win a title this year, does Lebron become a footnote?

game3524
12-01-2015, 03:48 PM
Think about it.

Shaq, Duncan, and Kobe dominated the 2000s and all three of those guys were on the back end of their career by the time the 2010s started. So Lebron has an entire decade to put his stamp on it and half way through it, he only has two titles.

What happens if the Warriors win back to back, and heaven forbid three-peat? How are we going to argue that Lebron is in the top ten all-time if he didn't even own his own decade?

inclinerator
12-01-2015, 03:50 PM
sure "if" they win it

ClipperRevival
12-01-2015, 03:50 PM
Umm. 4 mvps. 2 fmvps. 2 rings. One of the best statistical careers ever. Sure.

Town's Town
12-01-2015, 03:57 PM
He will never be just a footnote, but it certainly hurts his top 10 argument.

3ball
12-01-2015, 04:07 PM
Think about it.

Shaq, Duncan, and Kobe dominated the 2000s and all three of those guys were on the back end of their career by the time the 2010s started. So Lebron has an entire decade to put his stamp on it and half way through it, he only has two titles.

What happens if the Warriors win back to back, and heaven forbid three-peat? How are we going to argue that Lebron is in the top ten all-time if he didn't even own his own decade?

:applause: :bowdown: :pimp: :rockon:

wow... so true.

and it's particularly startling when you consider that Lebron team-hopped TWICE, which is a massive advantage over building a team from nothing (MJ), or staying with the same team through ups and downs (Duncan, Kobe).

oh the horror
12-01-2015, 04:09 PM

Bounced around different teams in the process of his achievements. When in context of that hurts a bit when you start looking at other players that achieved accolades with their own teams.

JerrySeinfeld
12-01-2015, 04:12 PM

If he never wins another ring those 2 rings in Miami are gonna look real bitchmade.

game3524
12-01-2015, 04:13 PM
Bounced around different teams in the process of his achievements. When in context of that hurts a bit when you start looking at other players that achieved accolades with their own teams.

Yup.

This wouldn't be a big issue if Lebron had achieved all of this by staying in Cleveland.

But if you look at all the players people consider top ten(Jordan, Magic, Russell etc.), Lebron and Wilt are the only two guys you can say that didn't "own" their decades in terms of winning championships.

Legends66NBA7
12-01-2015, 04:23 PM
Wilt Chamberlain and Hakeem Olajuwon also have 2 rings in their own era. I still see them regularly brought up in arbitrary Top 10 all-time lists.

So, obviously not. That's also just talking about ring counting in whatever context.

references
12-01-2015, 04:40 PM
a 6er fan talking about winning. rich

Spurs m8
12-01-2015, 04:46 PM
LeBron will be remembered as the guy in Space Jam 2

Town's Town
12-01-2015, 04:47 PM
Wilt Chamberlain and Hakeem Olajuwon also have 2 rings in their own era. I still see them regularly brought up in arbitrary Top 10 all-time lists.

So, obviously not. That's also just talking about ring counting in whatever context.
The 90s were Jordan's era and the 60s were Russell/Chamberlain's era. LeBron had a stretch of time where he was the only true superstar in his prime, yet only had 2.

game3524
12-01-2015, 05:00 PM

Hakeem actually kind of proves my point. One knock on him by a lot of people is he only won when MJ was out of the league for a couple of years.

Lebron has to win another title either this year or next year. If not his reign will look like nothing more then a transitional phase between the Shaq/Duncan/Kobe era to the Curry era.

JerrySeinfeld
12-01-2015, 05:03 PM
Man, after Bron's championship I remember the media talking like he had a strong chance to surpass Jordan....

Now he's on another team and one more finals loss away from Wilt territory :(

Maybe Curry will be the next legend to win multiple rings with the team that drafted him

Gileraracer
12-01-2015, 06:00 PM
He already is :( 50% of all threads are about Kobe, 30% about Curry. 15% about random other guys and 5% about Lebron.

smoovegittar
12-01-2015, 06:20 PM
Yes. Matter of fact, I think James is done winning any more rings. The Heat look better than the Cavs, and I can't see any team in the East winning this year. LeBron will stay in the spotlight though, sure enough - as the pundits start guessing on which team he'll join once Kevin Love fails to be that #1 option.

:D