PDA

View Full Version : Could a Platoon/FC press system ever work in the NBA

MMKM
12-01-2015, 10:51 PM
With the right personnel? If you had a team of no egos and went 10 deep, why would it not be effective?

Akrazotile
12-01-2015, 10:54 PM
The problem is that it would be easy to expose with preparation.

I think it could definitely work as a "surprise" tactic for stretches of random games. But I think if a team knows it's coming they'll figure out what to do about it before the game and it will lose effect.

Nick Young
12-01-2015, 10:55 PM
No. It is an idiotic gimmick that scrub teams with no talent use.

MMKM
12-01-2015, 11:00 PM
No. It is an idiotic gimmick that scrub teams with no talent use.

...so if you're one of the scrub teams with no talent in the nba, why not try it?

MMKM
12-01-2015, 11:04 PM
The problem is that it would be easy to expose with preparation.

I think it could definitely work as a "surprise" tactic for stretches of random games. But I think if a team knows it's coming they'll figure out what to do about it before the game and it will lose effect.

Yeah I agree, but I'm thinking more like a Shaka Smart style, 40 minutes of hell press using multiple pressure defenses, and a real platoon system so players don't fatigue over the course of the season.

Impossible?

dhsilv
12-01-2015, 11:23 PM
Yeah I agree, but I'm thinking more like a Shaka Smart style, 40 minutes of hell press using multiple pressure defenses, and a real platoon system so players don't fatigue over the course of the season.

Impossible?

nba point guards would destroy such a system. Unless the team had 4-5 Pippens....

Nick Young
12-01-2015, 11:28 PM
...so if you're one of the scrub teams with no talent in the nba, why not try it?
Even the worst NBA team is talented enough and capable of beating the best team on any given night.

Platoon FC press system is only worth it if the talent disparity is so large that you will 100% lose if you try to play the game the right way, think D1 vs DIII, but even then I don't think platoon would be effective.

SwishSquared
12-01-2015, 11:29 PM
No joke, but didn't Philly FC press at times last season? I remember Jimmy Butler couldn't believe that Brett Brown broke it out vs. the Bulls.

MMKM
12-01-2015, 11:33 PM
Even the worst NBA team is talented enough and capable of beating the best team on any given night.

Platoon FC press system is only worth it if the talent disparity is so large that you will 100% lose if you try to play the game the right way, think D1 vs DIII, but even then I don't think platoon would be effective.

Jerry Tarkanian ran a full court man press into an Amoeba zone all game long for 30 years and never had a losing season. He had less talented teams, and he had some of the most talented teams in NCAA history. It worked for every team for 30 years. Never had a losing season. Even Coach K has had a losing season. Nolan Richardson won the NCAA tournament at Arkansas with "40 minutes of hell" full court gimmicks. He had three or four NBA players on that team. It doesn't seem like full court pressure has to be reserved just for "scrub teams." :confusedshrug:

I remember when the Steve Nash Amare Shawn Marion Suns got bounced by the Spurs and everyone proclaimed "no team will ever win a championship playing run and gun. Small ball doesn't work. Live by the 3 die by the 3."
Here we are in 2015.....