View Full Version : D'Angelo Russell dunks on Nerlens Noel

TripleA
12-02-2015, 12:26 AM
https://cdn.streamable.com/video/mp4/5vp7.mp4
Damn 39 inch vert on display.
Stone feet with the slam.

FKAri
12-02-2015, 12:32 AM
Damn and hair almost at mesh level. Vince Carter WHO?

FreezingTsmoove
12-02-2015, 12:32 AM
Holy shit :biggums:

Nick Young
12-02-2015, 12:57 AM
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

TripleA
12-02-2015, 01:04 AM
Just watch D'Angelo's Russell's vertical jump test. 30.5" standing vert. 39" max vert. Much better than expected.

Either this fool is hiding his athleticism or Chad Ford is a god damn Lier.
If this guy actually had a 39 inch max vert we would see him do a windmill in practice.

Jameerthefear
12-02-2015, 01:06 AM
Just watch D'Angelo's Russell's vertical jump test. 30.5" standing vert. 39" max vert. Much better than expected.

If this guy actually had a 39 inch max vert we would see him do a windmill in practice.
verts are bullshit. they mean nothing.

Nick Young
12-02-2015, 01:06 AM

or more likely he doesn't like showboating and isn't comfortable playing as aggressively as he can yet on an NBA court.

FreezingTsmoove
12-02-2015, 01:22 AM
or more likely he doesn't like showboating and isn't comfortable playing as aggressively as he can yet on an NBA court.

This

Isiah Thomas throws down off the backboard dunks on youtube with ease but never throws it down during a game

Cocaine80s
12-02-2015, 05:55 AM
So what explains his average looking hops in high school and college? :oldlol:

Cocaine80s
12-02-2015, 05:56 AM
This

Isiah Thomas throws down off the backboard dunks on youtube with ease but never throws it down during a game
Thomas is also 5'9 while Russell is 6'5 with a 6'10 wingspan

Marchesk
12-02-2015, 06:02 AM
Didn't Westbrook only have a 37.5" vertical?

chocolatethunder
12-02-2015, 08:39 AM
Lots of guards who have nasty hops are not dunkers. Russell is obviously one of those guys. Even Ray Allen who was a total freak still didn't take it to the rack and dunk as much as he should have been doing when he was young. It's not that he wouldn't do it at all but for the tools he had, you would have expected him to do it more often. Hersey Hawkins (yes, that Hersey Hawkins) was an excellent leaper. He probably dunked 10 times in his entire career (once was on Jordan). He literally almost never dunked. So I assume Russel's vert numbers to be real but dunking isn't part of his game.

fiddy
12-02-2015, 08:55 AM
verts are bullshit. they mean nothing.
Retarded rat

HOoopCityJones
12-02-2015, 10:30 AM
Kid is starting to get comfortable. Can't wait til Kobe is gone so he and Clarkson can take over for good.

chocolatethunder
12-02-2015, 11:08 AM
Let's get it straight though, this was an uncontested dunk. Noel backed up and didn't even put his hands up. I'm glad Russell is playing well and I wanted the Sixers to draft him, but he hardly got up on that dunk.

This is what getting dunked on looks like

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=FS5wghKw0S0

LoneyROY7
12-02-2015, 11:09 AM
Let's get it straight though, this was an uncontested dunk. Noel backed up and didn't even put his hands up. I'm glad Russell is playing well and I wanted the Sixers to draft him, but he hardly got up on that dunk.

This is what getting dunked on looks like

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=FS5wghKw0S0

It was a joke, dude.

FreezingTsmoove
12-02-2015, 11:10 AM
Thomas is also 5'9 while Russell is 6'5 with a 6'10 wingspan

Im just saying Thomas is like Dangelo in that he doesnt showboat dunks bitch

MiseryCityTexas
12-02-2015, 12:00 PM
Lots of guards who have nasty hops are not dunkers. Russell is obviously one of those guys. Even Ray Allen who was a total freak still didn't take it to the rack and dunk as much as he should have been doing when he was young. It's not that he wouldn't do it at all but for the tools he had, you would have expected him to do it more often. Hersey Hawkins (yes, that Hersey Hawkins) was an excellent leaper. He probably dunked 10 times in his entire career (once was on Jordan). He literally almost never dunked. So I assume Russel's vert numbers to be real but dunking isn't part of his game.

That's all Ray Allen did was drive and draw fouls when he was young. What in the hell are you talking about? That's why he didn't attempt as many three pointers in his younger years as he did in his older years. Ray Allen dunked on T-mac and Horace Grant back in the day, and was even in the dunk contest.

MiseryCityTexas
12-02-2015, 12:11 PM
People really need to shut the **** up concerning Ray Allen's athleticism and dunking ability if they didn't watch him play ball in the mid to late 90s/early2000s. That's all Ray Allen did was dunk on people in 96-97, and 97-98 NBA seasons.

chocolatethunder
12-02-2015, 12:24 PM
It was a joke, dude.
My bad haha on here I can never tell. Sorry bout that.

chocolatethunder
12-02-2015, 12:35 PM
That's all Ray Allen did was drive and draw fouls when he was young. What in the hell are you talking about? That's why he didn't attempt as many three pointers in his younger years as he did in his older years. Ray Allen dunked on T-mac and Horace Grant back in the day, and was even in the dunk contest.
I gotta be honest, I never thought he did it enough. I know who he dunked on but I thought that he was such a freak and so good with the ball, that he should have driven more. In addition, the stats don't support your argument. Ray Allen averaged 18% of his field goals attempted from 0-3 feet from the rim for his career. In his first year he was at 23%, and in the next two seasons he was at 16%, and his two highest seasons after that were with Boston in 2007-08 at 20% and in 2009-20 at 22%. So that's what in the hell I'm talking about. He didn't attempt as many three pointers in his younger years because it wasn't as big part of the game as it would eventually become. To give you an example, Steph Curry has shot more than 600 threes each of the last three seasons and will shoot that this season. Allen only did that once.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/allenra02.html

chocolatethunder
12-02-2015, 12:36 PM
People really need to shut the **** up concerning Ray Allen's athleticism and dunking ability if they didn't watch him play ball in the mid to late 90s/early2000s. That's all Ray Allen did was dunk on people in 96-97, and 97-98 NBA seasons.
Boy you are dumb. I'm 43 and watched him play in college and he's one of my favorite players. Why don't you tell me again what I need to shut the fVck up about.

midatlantic09
12-02-2015, 12:49 PM
Nice dunk but here's the problem: no one noticed he was even playing until that dunk. One of my friends had to ask me if that "hotshot from Ohio State is playing tonight" during the 3rd quarter even though Russell had already played 15-20 min at point...that's how quiet Russell's game is/was.

Shade8780
12-02-2015, 01:05 PM
People are actually impressed by that dunk? :oldlol:

AirTupac
12-02-2015, 01:51 PM
Retarded rat

Same nickname his mom has

AI09
12-02-2015, 01:57 PM
People are actually impressed by that dunk? :oldlol:

I was impressed by that dunk I know he didn't actually dunk on anyone but both Noel and Grant (both above avarge shot blockers) were around the rim

SwishSquared
12-02-2015, 02:02 PM
I was impressed by that dunk I know he didn't actually dunk on anyone but both Noel and Grant (both above avarge shot blockers) were around the rimGrant coming over kinda kept Noel from really trying to stuff him imo.

Good for DLo to have the confidence taking it to the rack, esp since on the previous possession Noel got the best of him.

dannywpt
12-02-2015, 02:22 PM
Didn't Westbrook only have a 37.5" vertical?

Think it was 36.5, but we can all see that he can at least jump 40-42". He hit his damn head on the backboard in the all-star game.

VeeCee15
12-02-2015, 03:15 PM
He does NOT have a 39" max vert.

The dunk on nerlens noel..vince carter at 37 years old jumps a foot higher than that.

MiseryCityTexas
12-02-2015, 03:37 PM
Ray Allen did reversal slams on the regular back in the mid 90s, yet you say he was never a dunker. **** outta here.

MP.Trey
12-02-2015, 03:41 PM
Surprised Okafor didn't knock him out for that.

MiseryCityTexas
12-02-2015, 03:41 PM
I gotta be honest, I never thought he did it enough. I know who he dunked on but I thought that he was such a freak and so good with the ball, that he should have driven more. In addition, the stats don't support your argument. Ray Allen averaged 18% of his field goals attempted from 0-3 feet from the rim for his career. In his first year he was at 23%, and in the next two seasons he was at 16%, and his two highest seasons after that were with Boston in 2007-08 at 20% and in 2009-20 at 22%. So that's what in the hell I'm talking about. He didn't attempt as many three pointers in his younger years because it wasn't as big part of the game as it would eventually become. To give you an example, Steph Curry has shot more than 600 threes each of the last three seasons and will shoot that this season. Allen only did that once.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/allenra02.html

Ray Allen only attempted 200, 300, and 200 three point attempts in his first three seasons in the league, and his 2 pt shot attempts in his first three seasons in the league during the mid 90s were in the 900s, and 1,000s. That more than supports my argument that Ray Allen was a slashing type player when he first came into the league. Wow people in here :facepalm

MiseryCityTexas
12-02-2015, 03:54 PM

This video will end the bolded statement. Like I said before. That's all Ray Allen did back in the mid to late 90s/early 2000s was dunk on people. This old ass top 5 Ray Allen Bucks video is proof of my statement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsldLWUpDRc

MiseryCityTexas
12-02-2015, 04:00 PM
Skip to min 2:40 in this video. Ray Allen even did the Jordan symbol leg spread dunk in this game. Ray Allen had mad hops back in the day. :rockon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT5ywNb_KIs

Rake2204
12-02-2015, 04:44 PM
I see Russell measured a 39'' max vert but I admit my skepticism from his dunk highlights. His flush last night looked pretty similar to some of the other dunk clips I've seen of him, which is to say, it didn't look like someone knocking on the door of a 40'' vert.

With Russell's 8'6'' standing reach, a 39'' vert would theoretically put his max reach at 11'9'', right? Again, considering what I've seen from him, thinking he's just beneath touching 12 feet is questionable, though I suppose I've seen crazier things.

Also, 8.5'' inches of separation between standing vert and max vert seems kind of extreme as well, though I'd have to take a closer look at other comparisons. If he did reach 39'', it feels like it had to have come on the best jumping day of his life.

This

Isiah Thomas throws down off the backboard dunks on youtube with ease but never throws it down during a gameThere's really a fair amount of factors beyond beyond vertical that play a role in dunk frequency. Among them:

1) Player size: For obvious reason, a high vert isn't always enough for the little fellers. Moreover, there's a big difference between dunking in a game and a little guy throwing a self-lob in practice then having a clean run-up (without a ball in hand), allowing them to maximize explosion and garner the ball at its peak.

2) Hand size: The inability to palm a ball, or the ability to do so but not off a live dribble, dramatically reduces dunk opportunities.

3) Dunk style: Some guards are almost exclusively two-foot gather dunkers. If we add a right-foot forward tendency, their chances of dunking in a game are dramatically reduced. Others need a really clean run-up (like Russell got last night), which makes it difficult to find opportunities in the half court.

4) Demeanor: If a player is a fringe game-dunker, or if there's any doubt, they'll often resort for the safest play. It's a slippery slope from there to almost always settling for layups. Chances are, if a dude can hammer with zero doubt and impunity, he won't politely decline for the sake of being modest.

chocolatethunder
12-02-2015, 04:54 PM
Ray Allen only attempted 200, 300, and 200 three point attempts in his first three seasons in the league, and his 2 pt shot attempts in his first three seasons in the league during the mid 90s were in the 900s, and 1,000s. That more than supports my argument that Ray Allen was a slashing type player when he first came into the league. Wow people in here :facepalm
You're a moron.

When did I say Ray Allen didn't dunk? I said that he didn't take it to the rack as much as I wished that he would have. He didn't. That doesn't mean he didn't dunk on people you sensitive ******. It means that he should have been putting his nuts on peoples' chins all day and he wasn't. The stats back that up. I'm sorry that upsets you.

So you're saying because he shot 900-1000 two point shots that means he was a slasher? No. Sorry pal, the stats don't back that up. He was shooting less than 20% of his shots in his early years from 0-3 feet. So that means he wasn't dunking or laying it up more than he was later in his career.

The 3pt shot wasn't used a lot yet. By his fourth year in the league he was SECOND in 3pt attempts per game. Try again.

MiseryCityTexas
12-02-2015, 05:03 PM
You said Ray Allen didn't dunk enough. Ray Allen friggin dunked on Jerry Stackhouse and Grant Hill at the same time in a Bucks game against Detroit in this video. How much is not enough you idiot?:facepalm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsldLWUpDRc

Rake2204
12-02-2015, 05:06 PM
You said Ray Allen didn't dunk enough. Ray Allen friggin dunked on Jerry Stackhouse and Grant Hill at the same time in a Bucks game against Detroit in this video. How much is not enough you idiot?:facepalm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsldLWUpDRcDrive-by comment: That was Malik Sealy he blew past then Jerry Stackhouse and Don Reid whom he dunked on.

Still a nice dunk.

MiseryCityTexas
12-02-2015, 05:11 PM
You're a moron.

When did I say Ray Allen didn't dunk? I said that he didn't take it to the rack as much as I wished that he would have. He didn't. That doesn't mean he didn't dunk on people you sensitive ******. It means that he should have been putting his nuts on peoples' chins all day and he wasn't. The stats back that up. I'm sorry that upsets you.

So you're saying because he shot 900-1000 two point shots that means he was a slasher? No. Sorry pal, the stats don't back that up. He was shooting less than 20% of his shots in his early years from 0-3 feet. So that means he wasn't dunking or laying it up more than he was later in his career.

The 3pt shot wasn't used a lot yet. By his fourth year in the league he was SECOND in 3pt attempts per game. Try again.

I'm posting videos left and right of Ray Allen driving to the basket and dunking on people in his early years, and this dumbass is still disagreeing with me.:facepalm

KungFuJoe
12-02-2015, 05:25 PM
I don't know anything about Russell's supposed measured vert, but that dunk was pedestrian at best. He didn't dunk ON anyone...he dunked BY them.

chocolatethunder
12-02-2015, 05:27 PM
I'm posting videos left and right of Ray Allen driving to the basket and dunking on people in his early years, and this dumbass is still disagreeing with me.:facepalm
Show me where I said that he never dunked or took it to the basket. I said that I wished he did it more. Also, it's easy to grab a clip of one dunk from one game but the facts are that he didn't didn't take a higher % of shots from up close early in his career. So what's going on is that you refuse to believe the facts (not highlight clips) when they are right in front of your face. Again, you're a moron.

G0ATbe
12-02-2015, 06:01 PM
Posterized him so hard it put Nerlens on his ass. Future best player in the league blossuming before our eyes:applause: :bowdown: .

MiseryCityTexas
12-02-2015, 06:12 PM
Show me where I said that he never dunked or took it to the basket. I said that I wished he did it more. Also, it's easy to grab a clip of one dunk from one game but the facts are that he didn't didn't take a higher % of shots from up close early in his career. So what's going on is that you refuse to believe the facts (not highlight clips) when they are right in front of your face. Again, you're a moron.

Ray Allen was like a shorter, much better jump shooting version of Derozen in the mid 90s. Matter of fact, Ray Allen was a ten time NBA All Star, and was much better better than a prime Demar Derozen. Just admit it, you're just another one of them NBA fans that thought Allen was just a jumpshooter throughout most of his career, when he was up there with the Kobes, Vinces, Grant Hills, and T-Macs when Ray was at the absolute prime of his career.

MiseryCityTexas
12-02-2015, 06:20 PM
Ray Allen was a Superstar caliber NBA shooting guard when he was at the prime of his career. I'd even say he was up there with prime D Wade at one point of his career. People forgot about the Ray Allen and Kobe Bryant, Seattle vs LA, mid 2000s regular season Western Conference Wars. Ray Allen was still a Superstar caliber player, and was still an athletic dunking beast that could also knock down the three with ease in his Seattle years.

MiseryCityTexas
12-02-2015, 06:37 PM
Ray Allen was even driving to the basket and laying up and dunking on people in his early 30s when he played for the Celtics. You clearly see him dunking on prime Wizards Kwame Brown with ease, and he also dunked on Miami Heat era Chris Bosh in this same video. Ray Allen was one of the NBA's most underrated dunkers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB37YY72K18

MiseryCityTexas
12-02-2015, 07:05 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goOYNAXJPZE

Skip to min 3:00 of this video. All of these highlights of Ray Allen was from his rookie season. What is Ray Allen doing in the majority of these highlights? He's crossing people over, driving to the basket for layups and dunks. Now please stop talking. :facepalm You claimed Ray Allen didn't drive to the basket enough, but I'm telling you that's all he did was drive to the basket in his mid 90s Bucks years, especially during the Vin Baker era.