PDA

View Full Version : Wilt Chamberlain's 1967 Championship Run:

CavaliersFTW
12-03-2015, 12:53 AM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-eJhr4-Fotm0/Vl_IcB7eCgI/AAAAAAAAHXY/cz6PdKePmio/s1280-Ic42/Wilt1967.jpg

TL;DR a summary of perhaps the most dominant all around season ever :cheers:

jongib369
12-03-2015, 01:17 AM
What kind of damage did Thurmond do? I almost want to say good job Nate...Buuuuuut :eek:

https://media.giphy.com/media/BBAdXxBAXp3wc/giphy.gif

GOAT Season?

CavaliersFTW
12-03-2015, 01:23 AM
What kind of damage did Thurmond do? I almost want to say good job Nate...Buuuuuut :eek:

https://media.giphy.com/media/BBAdXxBAXp3wc/giphy.gif

GOAT Season?
I'm not sure what Thurmond's numbers are maybe some other poster can come here and post them but I think that's the best field goal percentage against Nate Thurmond of any playoff series any player ever had against him.

But his shot attempts that went way down is testament to Nate's defense. Wilt would have had scorers that matched up better on his team vs the Warriors than he himself did against Thurmond - so he let them work while he lay waste to Thurmond on the boards and protected the rim.

warriorfan
12-03-2015, 01:24 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/Nm3mS4RKOhteg/giphy.gif

CavaliersFTW
12-03-2015, 01:31 AM
What's awkward is that you don't seem value the time and effort of other people who try to keep the history of the game alive. Aren't you a real person behind that account? If this isn't a topic that interests you, ignore it, why try and make fun constantly when you have nothing of merit to add?

ShaqTwizzle
12-03-2015, 01:33 AM
What kind of damage did Thurmond do?

Thurmond did a damn good job on Chamberlain.
Held him to 17.7-ppg on .496%TS

I think that was his worst offensive series in that run.

CavaliersFTW
12-03-2015, 01:35 AM
It is Wilt's lowest points average but Nate didn't hold him to a "TS%" - he held him to a field goal percentage. Of 56 - same as Russell, though on lower shot attempts.

You don't defend free throws.

Also, free throw rules of that time period negate TS%. It was a 3 to make 2 and 2 to make 1 era. The TS% formula doesn't work with that.

ShaqTwizzle
12-03-2015, 01:46 AM
It is Wilt's lowest points average but Nate didn't hold him to a "TS%" - he held him to a field goal percentage. Of 56 - same as Russell, though on lower shot attempts.

Well even so I wouldn't call 56% from the field overly impressive for a guy who is the 5th leading scoring on his team and is only scoring 17ppg over nearly 48-mpg.
That is a very slow pace of scoring.

Then again he was facing Thurmond a fantastic defender...
:pimp:

Also, free throw rules of that time period negate TS%. It was a 3 to make 2 and 2 to make 1 era. The TS% formula doesn't work with that.

Eh...
I need to gain a stronger understanding of this rule which was altered on numerous occasions and seemed to work differently depending on the situation.

Either way Wilt sucked from the line in that series (31%).
We can't assume without proof that his TS% was considerably deflated due to that rule.
Not sure if we could figure it out without PBP data.

Anyway I am just saying it isn't fair for us to absolve Wilt for his poor FT shooting which obviously negatively effected his team and considerably lowered his offensive value.

CavaliersFTW
12-03-2015, 01:53 AM
Well even so I wouldn't call 56% from the field overly impressive for a guy who is the 5th leading scoring on his team and is only scoring 17ppg over nearly 48-mpg.

Then again he was facing Thurmond a fantastic defender...
:pimp:

Eh...
I need to gain a stronger understanding of this rule which was altered on numerous occasions and seemed to work differently depending on the situation.

Either way Wilt sucked from the line in that series (31%).
We can't assume without proof that his TS% was considerably deflated due to that rule.
Not sure if we could figure it out without PBP data.

Not fair to absolve Wilt for his poor FT shooting which obviously negatively effects a team and lowers his offensive value.
Not absolving anything however it needs to be known - TS% just doesn't work when you have extra chances at the line.

TS% assumes 2 attempts every time you go to the line without a field goal, or one attempt every time you connected on said field goal.

But you can go to the line and miss twice and still make one. As far as TS% goes a free throw percentage of 33 is equivalent to a free throw percentage of 50 in that situation. Or a free throw percentage of 67 (in a 2 of 3) or 50 (in a 1 of 2) is equal to a TS% of 100.

Also doesn't account for Wilt being clutch at the line those playoffs. In the '67 Sixers documentary made at that time he clinches both a Boston game, and a Warriors game at the line by making both crucial free throws each time to put his team ahead in the closing moments of close games.

jongib369
12-03-2015, 02:07 AM
I'm not sure what Thurmond's numbers are maybe some other poster can come here and post them but I think that's the best field goal percentage against Nate Thurmond of any playoff series any player ever had against him.

But his shot attempts that went way down is testament to Nate's defense. Wilt would have had scorers that matched up better on his team vs the Warriors than he himself did against Thurmond - so he let them work while he lay waste to Thurmond on the boards and protected the rim.

Not to downplay Wilts performance but Nate was Injured quite a few times earlier that season, missing 31 games I believe. But considering what Nate did to Kareem (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=193410) after this (https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1314&dat=19700119&id=qAAzAAAAIBAJ&sjid=W-sDAAAAIBAJ&pg=7361,1373748&hl=en), I don't know how much it matters

A lot consider Kareem the best scorer of all time....You'd think the man who held him to 43% would be talked about more. When people make fantasy teams you never hear him mentioned, but I assume there would be some combination of players that would benefit from having arguably the best post defender of all time :lol

CavaliersFTW
12-03-2015, 02:13 AM
Not to downplay Wilts performance but Nate was Injured quite a few times earlier that season, missing 31 games I believe. But considering what Nate did to Kareem (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=193410) after this (https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1314&dat=19700119&id=qAAzAAAAIBAJ&sjid=W-sDAAAAIBAJ&pg=7361,1373748&hl=en), I don't know how much it matters

A lot consider Kareem the best scorer of all time....You'd think the man who held him to 43% would be talked about more. When people make fantasy teams you never hear him mentioned, but I assume there would be some combination of players that would benefit from having arguably the best post defender of all time :lol
I remember watching Skip Bayless debating Steven A about the All-time Bulls lineup vs the all-time Lakers line up and SAS seemed convinced that the Bulls had no answer for Shaq.

Skip picked Artis Gilmore (very wise choice) to start. Then he said "I'm gonna go a bit obscure on this one and pick a guy who's played for the Bulls that was a great defensive player that not a lot of people might think of" ...then he said Tyson Chandler :facepalm :lol

Thurmond! Put Thurmond on Shaq! A rotation of Artis and Nate would be devastating - one of the physically strongest players ever in Artis, and one of the greatest defensive players ever and a "50 greatest" in Nate. Couldn't believe Skip picked Tyson Chandler over Nate the Great.

ShaqTwizzle
12-03-2015, 02:20 AM
Thurmond wasn't that confident in his ability to guard Shaq.
His quote.

“Shaquille O'Neal, he's a different player. He presents a problem none of us had to face.

“He's more than 300 pounds, with speed, power and quickness. Most of the big guys I played against were lumbering types, nothing like Shaquille. I just feel that at my 6-11, 235, I would have had a problem with him. He moves people out of the way, overpowers them. Wilt was more finesse.

“How could I have had a solution for Shaquille? He's 100 pounds heavier than me.”

I do think he'd have done better then most though.
Also a Prime Gilmore is indeed a good choice.
He had great size & strength.
I'd take him (and probably Lakers Wilt) over Thurmond to guard Shaq with.

CavaliersFTW
12-03-2015, 02:22 AM
His quote.

Right, no doubt you don't stop players like Wilt or Shaq or Jabbar if they want to score.

Shaq wouldn't be stopped by Artis or Nate. I'm just saying, I'd not bet against Nate doing as good or a better job than anyone could do. Probably a lot better than Tyson Chandler if his resume/success h2h against other dominating centers like Jabbar and Chamberlain is any indication.

jongib369
12-03-2015, 03:01 AM
I remember watching Skip Bayless debating Steven A about the All-time Bulls lineup vs the all-time Lakers line up and SAS seemed convinced that the Bulls had no answer for Shaq.

Skip picked Artis Gilmore (very wise choice) to start. Then he said "I'm gonna go a bit obscure on this one and pick a guy who's played for the Bulls that was a great defensive player that not a lot of people might think of" ...then he said Tyson Chandler :facepalm :lol

Thurmond! Put Thurmond on Shaq! A rotation of Artis and Nate would be devastating - one of the physically strongest players ever in Artis, and one of the greatest defensive players ever and a "50 greatest" in Nate. Couldn't believe Skip picked Tyson Chandler over Nate the Great.

Haha oh lord, maybe they were talking about how they were when they played on the team? I've seen the video you posted of him on the bulls...He was no slouch, but not what he was

His quote.

“Shaquille O'Neal, he's a different player. He presents a problem none of us had to face.

“He's more than 300 pounds, with speed, power and quickness. Most of the big guys I played against were lumbering types, nothing like Shaquille. I just feel that at my 6-11, 235, I would have had a problem with him. He moves people out of the way, overpowers them. Wilt was more finesse.

“How could I have had a solution for Shaquille? He's 100 pounds heavier than me.”

The weight would be a problem, but like you said he'd do better than most. I'd like hear fromNate on how he handled Wilt (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPMUyRyTflw) when he got physical. It wasnt like Shaq exactly, but he did bulldoze/overwhelm people on occasion (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGllSScyi_g).

I'd put Wilt on Shaq, with Thurmond as the help D or Russell. The only Top Tier centers that could match Shaqs physicality are Wilt, and Artis. Skip gets a nod from me for mentioning him...But Tyson? :lol

Artis Gilmore (33pts) vs. Spirits (ABA 1976)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1xqwh7PE4I

https:/Kareem (28 pts, 10 rebs) vs. Artis (24 pts, 18 rebs) 1983
www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsNoZjdizU0

I'll say this though, something that Nate might not of put into consideration...Wilt seldom used his physicality like Shaq, nor would the rules allow it to happen the same way...Since there was no reason to prepare for something like that he was fine at the lighter, more agile weight. Perfect for guarding Kareem with that body....I'm Willing to believe Thurmond would of bulked up a bit more to adjust.

I can't imagine what Shaq, and Wilt would of brought out of each other.

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/gc/156085047-basketball-player-shaquille-oneal-attending-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7QcngGSQWwtOsl61sTZscGf17YYSU mvkDrdtcz9VBLnv%2fLp%2bglkKEwtE43uiDumC%2bnJXI2Kdh 0D79812s90FtsEg%3d

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/shaquille-oneal-of-the-los-angeles-lakers-shoots-a-free-throw-during-picture-id467550125

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/gc/467550265-shaquille-oneal-of-the-los-angeles-lakers-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7Qc1GUvUWprpSV0yAVz8A0oRlJtWw 3WreB8w4MfX8MTDcv2qmqWSIDuRXZQNl2Hb5Rw4qfpnHEPp4Mb AICNhV%2bG8%3d

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/gc/96351127-wilt-chamberlain-of-the-los-angeles-lakers-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=9QMziWNtBI6whP66vhs4ofJsZe5ZdmPwOnDWd1sQSHN1Kj6t q99dzqDJmMnfq938yGsLYUKoEoyY8XVSnbPZU%2bcm3FXom8Gf vQSbFYYDQwE%3d

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/gc/72727142-wilt-chamberlain-of-the-philadelphia-76ers-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=OCUJ5gVf7YdJQI2Xhkc2QPB5%2fmxnUoAZ46y%2ffu9lKAcB ASskhoquiW1rCFCVF63RZBHZ8bAbzuN%2fbFsy2z9fojOWhKdn nI9Sy8zkugYc5Yc%3d

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/gc/87912393-wilt-chamberlain-of-the-los-angeles-lakers-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=X7WJLa88Cweo9HktRLaNXhabxF5Cw13gCXuBOgtjutalPmh3 xIcj31uhAljxLABCfz7nSzbmW4TaK2wlmPwCvMeFb2qN8lC2Z% 2bMLVpWfSdg%3d

jongib369
12-03-2015, 12:15 PM
Bump

feyki
12-03-2015, 12:22 PM
Goat season :applause: .

LAZERUSS
12-03-2015, 01:08 PM
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=332617&page=16

1966-67:

Most knowledgeable observers rank Wilt's '67 season as not only the greatest single season of his career, but many rank it as the greatest season ever, by anyone.

Chamberlain finally had an equal supporting cast to Russell, and a truly great coach in Alex Hannum. Hannum took essentially the same roster that had gone 55-25 the year before, but had leaned heavily on Wilt, and came to the conclusion that they could function better by being more balanced. And, of course, the key to that was Wilt. Hannum asked Chamberlain to become more of a facilitator, and Wilt was more than happy to comply.

The results were astonishing. The Sixers destroyed the eight-time defending champion Celtics in an early season encounter, 138-96, and then just ran away with from the league. They bolted out to a 46-4 record and then cruised home to a then NBA record of 68-13. The loaded Celtics may have fielded their finest team of the Russell-era, but they came in at a distant second with a 60-21 mark.

And while Wilt's scoring declined somewhat, his overall efficiency was just staggering. He "only" averaged 24.1 ppg, but it came on an eye-popping .683 FG% (and in an NBA that shot an eFG% of .441.) His .162 margin over the runner-up Bellamy is still an all-time record (.683 to Bellamy's .521.) And during the season he put up the three highest "perfect games" in NBA history, with games of 15-15, 16-16, and 18-18 from the field. He also set an NBA record of 35 straight made FGAs. He also had games of 11-11, 13-13, 10-11, 10-11, and 16-17 from the field, as well.

His passing was phenomenal, too. His 7.8 apg is still the second best mark of all-time by a center, training only his 67-68 season of 8.6. Included were 21 "triple doubles", and some of those were amazing. In one, he put up a 38-32-10 16-21 FG/FGA game, and in one of the greatest game's ever, he hung a 42-30-10 18-18 FG/FGA game.

Unfortunately, the NBA did not "officially" record blocked shots, so we will never know how many "quad doubles" that he had, but he did have a memorable known quad game against HOFer Nate Thurmond early in the season. In fact, it was even more amazing considering that his coach decided to abandon Wilt's facilitating at halftime because it wasn't working well. Chamberlain wound up with a 30-26-13-12 game against Nate, but he just annihilated Thurmond in the second half with a 24 point barrage.

Regarding Wilt's "decline" in scoring, he actually put up the league high game that year, with a 58 point game on 26-34 shooting from the field. He also had three more 40+ point games (41 on 16-17 shooting, 43 on 20-28 shooting, and that 42 point game on 18-18 shooting.) Rick Barry won the scoring title, with a 35.6 ppg (which BTW, was the highest full-time non-Wilt average during Wilt's 14 seasons in the league.) However, even Barry acknowledged that he (Barry) won it simply because Wilt didn't want it. Everyone in the league knew that Wilt could have easily won it had he been so inclined.

As for Wilt's HOF peers, again Reed was playing PF alongside Bellamy on the Knicks. And Reed's numbers cut into Bellamy's somewhat. Bells declined to 19.0 ppg, 13.5 rpg, and that .521 FG%.

Nate Thurmond supplanted Russell as the second best center (and player) in the league. In fact, Nate would finish a distant second to Chamberlain in the MVP voting. Thurmond had the finest season of his career (albeit, as almost always, he was injury-plagued.) He averaged 18.7 ppg, 21.3 rpg, and shot .437 from the field. However, because of Barry's shot-jacking, Nate's scoring was affected. He had already established by his second season, that, as a starter, he was capable of 20+ ppg seasons.

Thurmond's one-on-one defense was just spectacular. He would hold Bellamy to a 12.4 ppg average in their six H2H's. In fact, Nate owned Bellamy in their career H2H's. However, as great a defender as Nate was and would be throughout his career, he was helpless against a prime Wilt. Their 66-67 season would be no different...both in the regular season, and when the two met in the Finals. No other HOF center, including a peak Kareem, ever crushed Thurmond like a prime Chamberlain.

Russell was now the league's third best center, and the reality was, when Nate was healthy, Thurmond was the second best center in the league until Russell retired after the 68-69 season. Still, Russell had one of his better all-around seasons, averaging 13.3 ppg, 21.0 rpg, 5.8 apg, and on a .454 FG%.

After the Sixers steamrolled the NBA during the regular season, they pummelled Oscar's Royals in the first round of the playoffs. In the first game of that series, Chamberlain hung a 41 point game, on 19-30 shooting, which would be the highest scoring game by a Sixer in the post-season. He followed that up with a 37 point game, on 16-24 shooting. In game three he resumed his facilitating, and had a monster 16-30-19 (with an estimated 20 blocked shots.) Those 19 assists were a post-season record (tied with Cousy) at the time. And, of course, it is still, by far, the most ever by a center in the post-season. For the series, Wilt averaged 28.0 ppg, 26.5 rpg, 11.0 apg (yes a triple-double series), and on a .617 FG% (in a post-season that would shoot .428.)

Chamberlain's Sixers then met the eight-time defending champion Celtics. The Wilt critics eagerly anticipated his team folding, though. However, it never came close to happening. The Sixers easily won the first three games of the series. In game one, Chamberlain hung an official "quad double" with a monster 24-32-13-12 game. In game three he set an all-time playoff record with a 41 rebound game. However, with Wilt hobbled by sore knees, the Celtics narrowly avoided a sweep in game four. Wilt had a good game, 22-22-10 but he was outrebounded by Russell for the only time in the series, 28-22, and Boston escaped with a 121-117 win.

The proud Celtics came out on fire in game five. Late in the first period they opened up a 17 point lead, and the Wilt skeptics now held some hope for a possible "choke job." However, Wilt pounded Russell in the first half with 22 points, and single-handedly kept his Sixers in the game, and by halftime Philly had closed to within 70-65. The 76ers started pulling away in the third quarter, and by mid-way in the 4th period they were routing the Celtics by a 131-104 margin... en route to a 140-116 win. From late in the first quarter, to mid-way thru the 4th, the Sixers had outscored Boston by 44 points!

And the Russell supporters have never been able to answer this question, either:

In the clinching game five of the '66 EDF's, Wilt's Sixers were down 3-1 against Russell's Celtics. Chamberlain exploded for a 46 point, 34 rebound game, but alas, with his teammates contributing absolutely nothing in that series, Philly lost the game, 120-112.

In the 66-67 EDF's, it was now Russell who was faced with that exact same scenario. His team was down 3-1, and desperately needed Russell to come up with a huge effort. Instead, Russell led the quietly, like a lamb being led to slaughter, in a blowout loss. Why? Where was Russell's 46 point game against Wilt? In that game five loss, Russell scored FOUR points, on 2-5 shooting, with 21 rebounds, and 7 assists. Meanwhile, Chamberlain "the choker" had 29 points (again, 22 of which came in the first half when the game was still close), on 10-16 shooting, with 36 rebounds, 13 assists, and seven blocked shots.

For the series, Chamberlain outscored Russell, per game, 21.6 ppg to 11.4 ppg; outebounded Russell by a staggering 32.0 rpg to 23.4 rpg margin; outassisted Russell by a 10.0 apg to 6.0 apg (yes, yet another triple double series); and outshot Russell from the floor by a .556 to .358 margin. And in their known games, Wilt outblocked Russell by a 29-8 margin.

Wilt then faced his former Warrior team, and Thurmond, in the Finals. While the overall numbers were somewhat close, they were very deceiving. Wilt badly outplayed Thurmond in the last five games of that six game series, in leading his Sixers to a 4-2 title romp. Wilt outscored Nate, 17.7 ppg to 14.3 ppg; outrebounded Nate, 28.5 rpg to 26.7 rpg; outassisted Nate, 6.8 apg to 3.3 apg; and outshot Thurmond by an unfathomable .560 to .343 margin. Overall, Wilt outscored Nate, 5-1; outrebounded Nate, 5-1; outassisted Nate, 5-1; and outshot Nate from the floor, 6-0, in those six games. And in the title-clinching game six, Wilt outscored Thurmond, 24-12; outrebounded Nate, 23-22; and outshot him by an 8-13 to 4-13 margin. Just a complete and one-sided beatdown.

Next...Wilt's numbers against those HOF peers...

LAZERUSS
12-03-2015, 01:09 PM
Continued...

66-67:

Bellamy vs. Russell in 9 H2H's:

Bellamy: 18.9 ppg, 13.3 rpg (3 known), .513 FG% (3 known)
Russell: 11.4 ppg, 20.5 rpg (6 known), .405 FG% (4 known)

Bellamy had four games of 20+ points against Russell with two of 27. He also had a 22 point, 23 rebound game. Russell's high game against Bellamy was 21 points, and his high rebound game against Bells was 26. Overall, Bellamy outscored Russell, 7-2 in those H2H's, while Russell held a 2-1 margin in known rebounding games.

Thurmond vs. Russell in 6 H2H games:

Thurmond: 19.8 ppg, 22.5 rpg (4 known), (no known FG% games.)
Russell: 11.8 ppg, 25.6 rpg (5 known), .417 FG% (2 known)

Thurmond had a monster 34 point, 23 rebound game against Russell. He also had a 24-21 game against him. Russell's high point game against Nate was 19 points, and his high rebounding game was 30. Overall, Thurmond held a 4-1-1 scoring margin, and two went 2-2 in known rebounding H2H's.

Thurmond vs. Bellamy in 5 H2H's:

Thurmond: 17.0 ppg, 24.0 rpg, (4 known) (no known FG% games)
Bellamy: 12.4 ppg, 16.0 rpg (2 known), and no known FG% games.

Bellamy had a high game of 27 points against Nate, but also had three games under 10 points against him. His high rebounding game was 16. Thurmond had games of 30-27 and 20-25 against Bellamy. Overall, Nate held a 4-1 margin in scoring H2H's, and a 2-0 margin in known rebounding H2H's.

And keeping with the Laker seasonal series, Chamberlain averaged 26.4 ppg, 24.0 rpg, and on...get this... a .759 FG% in his 9 regular season H2H's. He had games of 28-30 on 13-13 FG/FGA; 32-30 on 15-15 FG/FGA; 39-28 16-23 FG/FGA; and 37-24 on 16-21 FG/FGA against LA that season.

Bellamy vs. Wilt in 9 H2H's:

Bellamy: 23.2 ppg, 15.9 rpg (8 known), and no known FG% games
Wilt: 22.7 ppg, 25.7 rpg, and on a .709 FG% (!)

Unfortunately, we do not have any Bellamy FG% games, but as you can see, Wilt shot an unfathomable .709 against Bellamy (and perhaps Reed at times, as well.) For the first time in their six seasonal H2H's, Bellamy outscored Wilt (just barely.) Bellamy had six games of 20+, with a high game of 34 points. His high rebounding game against Chamberlain was 20. Wilt also had six games of 20+ points against Bellamy, with a high game of 35 points (on 15-18 shooting.) Wilt also had 8 games of 20+ rebounds, with highs of 30 and 33 against Bellamy. Overall, Wilt held a 5-3-1 scoring margin, and an 8-0 rebounding margin in the known H2H's.

Thurmond vs. Wilt in their 6 regular season H2H's:

Nate: 13.2 ppg, 23.8 rpg (5 known), .320 FG% (3 known).
Wilt: 20.8 ppg, 25.0 rpg, 8.5 apg, and on a .633 FG%.

Thanks to Julizaver's research, we now know that Thurmond shot 16-50 in tree of their known H2H's, or an eye-popping .320 FG%, and we KNOW Chamberlain hung an unfathomable .633 FG% against Thurmond in those six H2H's (which is remarkable considering that a prime Kareem shot .447 against a full-time Nate from '69 thru '73.) Nate's high point game against Wilt was 21 points (and his high rebounding game of 29 came in the same game.) Chamberlain had three games of 20+ against Thurmond with highs of 30 and 27. Wilt also had a 31 rebound game against Nate. Wilt held a 5-0-1 scoring margin, and they were 2-2-1 in known rebounding H2H's.

Thurmond vs. Wilt in their 6 Finals' games:

Nate: 14.3 ppg, 26.7 rpg, 3.3 apg, and on a .343 FG%
Wilt: 17.7 ppg, 28.5 rpg, 6.8 apg, and on a .560 FG%

Nate's high game came against Wilt in game one, with 24 points, which was also his rebounding high with 31 (Wilt outrebounded Nate in that game 33-31.) Wilt had three games of 20+, with highs of 26 and 24 points. Wilt's rebounding high game was 38. Overall, Wilt outscored Nate, 5-1; outrebounded Nate, 5-1; outassisted Nate, 5-1; and outshot Nate from the floor, 6-0.

Russell vs Wilt in 9 regular season H2H's:

Russell: 12.2 ppg, 21.1 rpg, 4.1 apg, .425 FG% (8 known)
Wilt: 20.3 ppg, 26.7 rpg, 6.3 apg, .549 FG%

Russell's high point game against Wilt was 22 points. His high rebounding game against Chamberlain was 29. Wilt had 4 games of 20+ points against Russell, with a high of 30 points. Chamberlain had two games of 31 and 32 reounds. Overall, Wilt outscored Russell, 8-1, and outrebounded Russell, 7-2.

Russell vs. Wilt in 5 EDF's H2H's:

Russell: 11.4 ppg, 23.4 rpg, 6.0 apg, .358 FG%
Wilt: 21.6 ppg, 32.0 rpg, 10.0 apg, and on a .556 FG%

Russell's high point game was 20 points, and his high rebounding game was 29. Wilt had 4 games of 20+ points, with a high of 29. And Wilt also had 3 games of 30+ rebounds (32, 36, and 41.) Overall, Wilt outscored Russell, 5-0; outrebounded Russell, 4-1; outassisted Russell, 3-0-2; and outshot Russell, 5-0.

An unbelievable overall domination of his three HOF peers...

SpaceJam
12-03-2015, 01:21 PM
Curry>>

AirFederer
12-03-2015, 01:29 PM
Those stats need context, but sure, one of the goat seasons.

Wonder why he couldn`t win all the other years

jongib369
12-03-2015, 02:07 PM
Curry>>
Thanks for the laugh, Curry is amazing at what he does though

Wilt
Rodman
Bird
Curry
Jordan

Wonder how that team would fair against other fantasy teams people mention. With Curry stretching the D like that I don't know what you can do to stop the inside/midrange threat.

Gileraracer
12-03-2015, 02:36 PM
In the weakest era, battling against dwarfs, Wilt was truly great :applause:

LAZERUSS
12-03-2015, 05:23 PM

I think that was his worst offensive series in that run.

As CavsFTW pointed out, Nate doesn't get credit for Wilt's TS% (which, BTW, was approx. a full 2 percentage points high using his EFFECTIVE FT%, and not his actual FT%.)

Chamberlain slaughtered a PEAK Thurmond in that series. This was Nate's greatest season, and in fact, he finished 2nd in the MVP voting (well behind Wilt), even with his teammate, Rick Barry, leading the league in scoring (35.6 ppg.)

Wilt outscored Nate in five of their six Finals' H2H's; outrebounded Nate in five of those H2H's; outassisted him in five of the six games; outshot him from the floor in every game of that series; and likely held a huge edge in blocked shots.

Also, in the clinching game six win, Wilt outscored Nate, 24-12; outrebounded him, 23-22; and outshot him from the floor, 8-13 to 4-13.

All of this from a "balanced" Chamberlain, who had a remarkable post-season in which he averaged 22-29-9 on a .579 FG%, and likely with around 8+ bpg.

Keep in mind that a "scoring" Wilt had a run of 11 straight H2H's with Thurmond, dating back to 1965 and thru their first H2H game in '67 (more on that in a moment)...in which Chamberlain averaged 29 ppg. Included were SIX games of 30+, including beatdowns by margins of 38-15 and a staggering 45-13.

And that first H2H in '67 was interesting from this standpoint: Wilt had already accepted his "new" role, of being a facilitator, but at halftime of their first meeting the Sixers were behind. Wilt's coach, Alex Hannum, asked Wilt to take it to Thurmond on the offensive end in the second half. Chamberlain poured in 24 second half points (30 overall, on 14-18 from the floor), and led his team to a win.

Much like his Russell H2H's, when Chamberlain was asked to score, neither Russell, nor Thurmond, could come close to stopping him.

Going back to that 11 game stretch, in which Wilt hung SIX 30+ games on Thurmond...a PEAK Kareem faced a full-time Nate in 35 H2H's. He had FIVE 30+ games, with a high of 34. Clearly, a prime-peak Wilt, was a convincingly better scorer (and more efficient as well) against Thurmond.

4 Inches
12-03-2015, 05:27 PM
Ah was this the season where Wily deliberately padded his assists ? :applause:

LAZERUSS
12-03-2015, 05:28 PM
Ah was this the season where Wily deliberately padded his assists ? :applause:

No, that the next season, in which Chamberlain led the league in assists. BTW, he also led them to a runaway best record in the league that season, as well.

4 Inches
12-03-2015, 05:31 PM
No, that the next season, in which Chamberlain led the league in assists. BTW, he also led them to a runaway best record in the league that season, as well.
But they didn't win the championship that year
Why do you think that was ?

LAZERUSS
12-03-2015, 05:41 PM
But they didn't win the championship that year
Why do you think that was ?

I'll let PHILA answer that for you...

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9328011&postcount=14

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9328006&postcount=13

LAZERUSS
12-04-2015, 12:16 AM
In the weakest era, battling against dwarfs, Wilt was truly great :applause:

I agree.

Centers like Cowens, Hayes, Unseld, McAdoo, Reed, Bellamy, Thurmond, Gilmore, Russell, and Kareem.

And Wilt either outplayed, or downright destroyed those misfits in his career H2H's. But, then again, he should have.

None of those guys in their primes would even make a WNBA team today.

LAZERUSS
12-04-2015, 12:48 AM
I have read posters who have bashed Wilt's post-season scoring in that '67 run. After all, he "only" averaged 21.7 ppg in those 15 games, and an even worse 17.7 ppg in the Finals.

For the record, in Wilt's very first two playoff games, he scored 41 and 38 points, on a combined 35-54 shooting from the field (.648.) The 41 points were a Sixer playoff high BTW. Oh, and in his third playoff game, he only scored 16 points...but, pulled down 30 rebounds, and handed out a then playoff record 19 assists (and there were sources that claimed he also blocked 20 shots.)

True, he was facing Connie Dierking, an average center in that era. However, Dierking had a relatively long and successful NBA career, and even outscored a peak Kareem in a H2H near the end of his career.

In that first round series, which only went four games, Chamberlain averaged 28.0 ppg, 26.5 rpg, 11.0 apg, and shot .617 from the field (and likely had a double-digit bpg average, as well...or probably a Quad-double series.)

Of course, that once again proved that had Wilt faced just "average" centers in many of his playoff series, his post-season numbers would have been far higher. Unfortunately for Chamberlain, he SELDOM faced an "average" center. Instead, he was ROUTINELY battling Reed, Bellamy, Thurmond, Kareem, and Russell in his post-season career.

Nor was this '67 Wilt a "scoring" Chamberlain, either. Instead, he finally had quality teammates, who were healthy. And the result was a 68-13 seasonal record, and an 11-4 playoff run, which included the demolition of Russell's eight-time defending, and 60-21, Celtics. In fact, they were a mere four points away in game four, from sweeping the greatest dynasty the game has ever known. And in that series, Wilt just castrated Russell...in every single facet of the game.

In game one Wilt hung a documented quad-double game of 24-32-13-12. In game three he set an all-time playoff record with 41 rebounds. And in the clinching game five win, he outscored Russell, 29-4; outassisted Russell, 13-7; outshot Russell from the floor, 10-16 to 2-5; and outrebounded Russell, 36-21. He even found time to block seven shots.

Oh, and this is important...in that clinching game five win, Chamberlain scored 22 of his 29 points in the first half, and when the game was still close. Clearly, he could have scored much more 29 points had they been needed (as was the case just the year before in the clinching defeat to Russell's Celtics, when he poured in 46 points.)

Finally, I found this interesting. In the EDF's, the Sixers outscored Boston, per game, 121.2 ppg to 111.2 ppg. Which was just about what Chamberlain outscored Russell per game (21.6 ppg to 11.4 ppg.)

In any case, those that actually witnessed Wilt in '67, would attest to the fact that he could have scored MUCH more. Even Rick Barry, who won the scoring title that season (35.6 ppg) claimed that he (Barry) won the title only because Wilt didn't want it.

LAZERUSS
12-04-2015, 01:14 AM
BTW, I just found the latest info on the Bellamy-Wilt FG%'s in their 9 H2H's that season...

We have all nine of Wilt's games, and he shot an astounding .709 against Bellamy (and possibly some of them against Reed.)

In his seven known games against Chamberlain...Bellamy shot 62-138, or .449 (in a season in which he shot .521 against the NBA.)

So, in his regular season H2H's...

Russell: .425
Wilt: .549

Bellamy: .449
Wilt: .709

Thurmond: .308
Wilt: .633

EDF's...

Russell: .358
Wilt: .556

Finals...

Thurmond: .343
Wilt: .560

SpanishACB
12-04-2015, 12:12 PM
can we have a laz thread and lock his account to posting on that only

LAZERUSS
12-04-2015, 12:16 PM
can we have a laz thread and lock his account to posting on that only

:roll: :roll: :roll:

This topic was already buried on page 2 here, and yet you took the time to comment on it.

StephHamann
12-04-2015, 12:16 PM
https://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/Wilt%20the%20stilt%20Chamberlain%20with%2020000.JP G
20.000 on 0%PP (pregnant percentage)

As you can see Wilt clearly dominated in h2h stats against other centers like Nate Thurmond and Kareem.