PDA

View Full Version : Tony Parker

GIF REACTION
12-04-2015, 12:16 AM
The Spurs are lucky to have him. But some spurs "fans" will tell you otherwise.

Tony

Spurs5Rings2014
12-04-2015, 12:22 AM
He's very polarizing. Kobe-esque to be sure.

GabeIsGone
12-04-2015, 01:38 AM
I'll be the first to admit that Tony has been playing great this season. However, he's legitimately earned the ire of Spurs fans for his play the last two seasons. It's no coincidence that his great play has coincided with him putting the most effort into the defensive side of the ball this year than he ever has his entire career.

I hope he can keep it up, but I reserve the right to be skeptical for another month or two before I become a believer.

Proctor
12-04-2015, 01:39 AM
The Spurs are lucky to have him. But some spurs "fans" will tell you otherwise.

Tony
A few too many, sadly.

RRR3
12-04-2015, 09:54 AM
Damn he's shooting 57%. Impressive.

Haymaker
12-04-2015, 09:59 AM
Parker seems to be accepting the fact that he no longer can (or have to, thanks to the resurgence of Leonard and Mills and the addition of Aldridge) carry the offensive burden and that helps him focus on running/initiating the offense, distributing the ball and defending.

r0drig0lac
12-04-2015, 10:06 AM
A few too many, sadly.
this

ralph_i_el
12-04-2015, 10:57 AM
Parker is smart enough to know what he can do, and do it well. He's still a smart player, passable shooter, and amazing finisher. He's a weak defender, but the Spurs D can cover him up in that aspect.

Alamо
12-04-2015, 11:08 AM
When Parker is good he's amazing, when he's bad he's a nightmare. Green and Leonard more than make up for his lackluster defense. Parker, Green, Mills, and Ginobili all complement eachother so well in the backcourt.

RRR3
12-04-2015, 12:59 PM
Parker gets overrated by some due to being on winning teams a lot, but the Spurs fans who say shit like "He was never good" are ridiculous. As if trash players can put up 22/7 on 51% :oldlol:

WorldWarriors
12-04-2015, 01:38 PM
Parker has been great this season and imo one of the main reasons the Spurs are doing so well. Yes Leonard is their best player but their consistency this season even while integrating Aldridge and West into the rotation is nothing short of amazing.

stalkerforlife
12-04-2015, 01:43 PM
Parker's playing at an all-star level.

mehyaM24
12-04-2015, 01:44 PM
don't let duncan fans tell you otherwise.

parker & ginobili have been the cornerstones of that franchise since 2007-2008. they're the engine that makes the spurs go, well them and GOAT popovich of course.

guy has been amazing and the spurs are lucky to have him - one of the greatest international players ever.

Spurs5Rings2014
12-04-2015, 01:52 PM
don't let duncan fans tell you otherwise.

parker & ginobili have been the cornerstones of that franchise since 2007-2008. they're the engine that makes the spurs go, well them and GOAT popovich of course.

guy has been amazing and the spurs are lucky to have him - one of the greatest international players ever.

:facepalm

Spoken like someone who doesn't actually watch the games. Pop tried to let Parker be "The Man" from about that point until 2011-ish and we didn't do shit. That's when he changed the offense to be more "by committee" with no one singular focus.

As for Pop, he's good now and all, but he wasn't always a GOAT. There was a time where Duncan had to save his career or he was gone. During those times, the game plan was get Duncan the ball and get out of the way. Very Scott Brooks-esque. Duncan made Pop, not the other way around. Make no mistake about that.

:no:

mehyaM24
12-04-2015, 02:18 PM
^ i have forgotten more basketball than you know, and ever will. lets get that out of the way first.

2004 usa team led by duncan
-bronze medal

2006 spurs led by duncan
-lost to dallas with his tail between his legs after he decided not to guard dirk who went off in the series)

2009 Spurs
-duncan tries to duck dirk again the whole series and his spurs team got bounced in the first round of the playoffs

2010 Spurs
-guy gets embarrassed in a first round exit against the knockoff ssol suns (without d'antoni). duncan was exposed on the defensive side of the ball.

2011 Spurs
-duncan gets anihillated by marc gasol & zbo.
his season ended by losing to an 8th seed in the first round of the playoffs - while getting destroyed by the players he attempted to defend. one of the greatest chokes in history, and its swept under the rug.

sample after sample, you have instances where duncan has choked horribly, yet his fans want to claim he's been the "leader" of these teams. :lol

the duncan fanbase better own up to all these stink bombs :no:

90sgoat
12-04-2015, 02:24 PM
Parker cost the playoffs last season.

He has been playing well this season from what I've seen. I suppose it's possible he was legit injured these last two playoffs.

T_L_P
12-04-2015, 02:49 PM
^ i have forgotten more basketball than you know, and ever will. lets get that out of the way first.

2004 usa team led by duncan
-bronze medal

2006 spurs led by duncan
-lost to dallas with his tail between his legs after he decided not to guard dirk who went off in the series)

2009 Spurs
-duncan tries to duck dirk again the whole series and his spurs team got bounced in the first round of the playoffs

2010 Spurs
-guy gets embarrassed in a first round exit against the knockoff ssol suns (without d'antoni). duncan was exposed on the defensive side of the ball.

2011 Spurs
-duncan gets anihillated by marc gasol & zbo.
his season ended by losing to an 8th seed in the first round of the playoffs - while getting destroyed by the players he attempted to defend. one of the greatest chokes in history, and its swept under the rug.

sample after sample, you have instances where duncan has choked horribly, yet his fans want to claim he's been the "leader" of these teams. :lol

the duncan fanbase better own up to all these stink bombs :no:

2010 vs Suns: Duncan put up 21/11/3/3 on .555 TS%. Parker put up 20/4/5 on .503 TS% (while leading the team in Usage).

You yourself said it was his team at that point, yet Duncan gets the blame despite playing better?

Also, your point about Duncan not guarding Dirk is such shit. Stars don't generally guard other stars, because they'd get in foul trouble. Garnett didn't defend Dirk until the closing moments in 02. Shaq didn't guard Duncan until the closing moments in any of their series' besides the Suns one (where Duncan raped Shaq). Likewise, Dirk didn't guard Duncan who posted a 33/12/4/3/.615 TS% series against the Mavs (on bum ankles). Meanwhile Tony (who was an All-Star that year) shot .478 TS% for the series with an ORtg of 93.

Also, this needs to be pointed out:

parker & ginobili have been the cornerstones of that franchise since 2007-2008.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11037800&postcount=19

Yet here you claimed

as a duo, parker/manu have been the main cogs to san antonio's success since 2005. without question their backcourt is where their strength lies today and the last several years now.

Your agenda is beyond obvious. You claimed it was Parker/Manu's team by 05, yet in 06 when Duncan basically doubled Parker's production on much better percentages, he's the one who choked and not Tony. Right. :oldlol:

Next you'll be saying they've been the main cogs since 2011-12. :oldlol:

mehyaM24
12-04-2015, 03:01 PM
^i also have posts where i debated you and your ilk, giving duncan 2005/2006 and even the 2007 regular-season. :confusedshrug:

nice job cherry-picking and again, ignoring the facts above. you stans are all one and the same.

T_L_P
12-04-2015, 03:07 PM
^i also have posts where i debated you and your ilk, giving duncan 2005/2006 and even the 2007 regular-season. :confusedshrug:

nice job cherry-picking and again, ignoring the facts above. you stans are all one and the same.

Okay, so what about the 2010 stuff? You yourself claim it was Parker's team by then, but when Duncan outperforms Tony in the series he's the one who gets more blame than 'the man'?

Or how about the point about Duncan 'not defending Dirk', when KG didn't defend Dirk, Shaq didn't defend Duncan, Dirk didn't defend Duncan or Garnett, Barkley didn't guard Malone etc etc? I know why, because acknowledging that would force you to use Duncan's offensive output in the Mavs series, which was incredible.

I'm sure your next post will be picking out one insignificant point and running with it. mehyaM24, you're ducking like 06 Duncan.

rmt
12-04-2015, 03:14 PM
Color me skeptical. I want to see Parker perform well in the playoffs when it counts - not come up with yet another injury. Seems like he's been injured in the playoffs since 2013.

I think it's taken Parker this long to realize that he has to hand over the offensive reigns to Leonard. Took him too long and Pop pandering to him didn't help - see last playoffs vs LAC. 10 more minutes of Mills and 10 less minutes of Parker probably would have gotten them past LAC - it was THAT close.

oarabbus
12-04-2015, 03:41 PM
Parker is one of the most underrated players in the league, particularly by Spurs fans. If you listened to fans from San Antonio you'd get the idea Parker was on that Darren Collison level on a good night.

SCdac
12-04-2015, 04:25 PM
Most Spurs fans appreciate Parker in the grand scheme. And most of yall if not all don't even live in San Antonio and there are like maybe 10 Spurs fans on here so ISH is not truly representative. You'll probably find more people owning Tony Parker jerseys in SA than any part of the world, just go to a game at the AT&T center or downtown during the playoffs or something. He's been a part of 4 championships and has been both really good and really bad at times. He's a top-100 player all time comfortably, but lets not act like he's top-30. Personally I like his experience, confidence, and the fact that in late 2005 (about 4 years into his NBA career) he revamped his jump shot with chip engelland and became a better shooter and finisher. Without that he'd be a lesser player. In the 2007 playoffs it rang through, as he hit 57% of his threes in the Finals against Daniel Gibson and Eric Snow and won FMVP. It's that kind of "stepping up" that Parker is capable of which is why he's a champion and probably future HOFer. Many NBA fans are young though and overrate 2002-2005 version of Parker or fail to see his faults