PDA

View Full Version : 3PV rankings

Jasi
12-04-2015, 12:34 PM
Five years ago, I came up with this stat, and improved it also thanks to the hints of some ISH posters.

3-Point Value is basically a tool to rank 3 point shooters taking into account both volume and %.

Formula is:

3PV = (3 - R)*3PM - R*(3PA - 3PM)

where R = TeamOFFRtg / 100

The ratio is: when you shoot a trey, you are using a possession of your team. When you make it (3PM), the added value of your shot is = 3 points - R (the average points per possession of your team).
When you fail (3PA-3PM), you get a minus because you have taken away from your team the possibility to score R points.

I was very curious to see how Curry's exploit this season reflects on this ranking, and well, here it is.

Curry S.: 67.6
Leonard K.: 38
Miles C.J.: 36.3
George P.: 35.9
Middleton K.: 35.1
Bayless J.: 31.1
Teletovic M.: 30.8
Bradley A.: 27.4
Lowry K.: 27.3
Durant K.: 27
Korver K.: 26.4
Redick J.J.: 24.6
Nowitzki D.: 21.5
Casspi O.: 21.5
Snell T.: 20.7
McDermott D.: 20.7
Iguodala A.: 20.2
Love K.: 19.5
Knight B.: 19
Thompson K.: 18.4

Notice, Harden has 169 3PA with only 49 made, which means his 3PV is -22.
Basically, the stat confirms his 3 point shooting has damaged his own team so far.

NB
A further improvement would be to consider the team OFFRtg when the concerned player is not on the court, but I don't know if these are available. Any stat buffs know this?

WayOfWade
12-04-2015, 12:39 PM
That's pretty cool how you made up your own stat and what it shows, nice work. And that is way funny that James Harden is effectively hurting his team, however it doesn't take a stat like this to see that

Jasi
12-04-2015, 12:41 PM
That's pretty cool how you made up your own stat and what it shows, nice work. And that is way funny that James Harden is effectively hurting his team, however it doesn't take a stat like this to see that

True :lol it's just cool that the stat confirms the negatives also.

kshutts1
12-04-2015, 12:43 PM
The end result, with Curry being so far in front and Harden hurting his team, is pretty legit.

That said, I can't help but think that there's something "off" about using a team's Offrtg as a multiplier when the 3p shot factors in pretty heavily to said Offrtg.

WayOfWade
12-04-2015, 12:46 PM
True :lol it's just cool that the stat confirms the negatives also.
Definitely, just goes to show there's more than meets the eyes with your basic stats (29.5/6.7/6.6, goat numbers but horrid results)

Jasi
12-04-2015, 12:46 PM
The end result, with Curry being so far in front and Harden hurting his team, is pretty legit.

That said, I can't help but think that there's something "off" about using a team's Offrtg as a multiplier when the 3p shot factors in pretty heavily to said Offrtg.

True. Read the NB in the OP (I've just edited it).
I would need to find the OFFRtg of teams without specific players on the court.
I don't even know if that exists.

The alternative is to consider an overall average NBA-level point per possession figure (which also I don't know where to find), but I think it'd make the stat worse.

kshutts1
12-04-2015, 12:49 PM
True. Read the NB in the OP (I've just edited it).
I would need to find the OFFRtg of teams without specific players on the court.
I don't even know if that exists.
I don't know either. But honestly, the most important part of an advanced statistic, in my opinion, is results that make sense. And your results make sense. So maybe I'm just being too picky or something.

Either way, cool stat/thread. Very logical approach. I like it.