PDA

View Full Version : Why shouldn't NBA players be allowed to defend themselves physically?

Draz
12-04-2015, 06:11 PM
Should NBA players be able to defend themselves without suspension? I don't understand why a player should be punched with force and neglect not defending himself. In any case where a person's health is being threatened self defense is taken into regards.

Reason why I ask, I seen it time and time again a player is heavily pushed (an exception) or a punch is thrown. On the street you normally would try to deflect and answer back the offensive person by taking control.

I just don't see why a player should wait for refs/players to rush to the scene to prevent bodily harm.

Suspension should only be given to the person who striked first.

TripleA
12-04-2015, 06:18 PM
So theirs no brawls.
Silver doesn't want another malice in the palace.

DrakeTheSnake
12-04-2015, 06:23 PM
This is so ****ing stupid. I can't recall a player punching in defense, only in retaliation, which is very different. If you are on your back, or truly trying to get away and only using it to create separation (rather than sucker punch), sure, but that doesn't tend to happen. Believing that hitting 2nd is automatically "defense" just escalates the situation.

Draz
12-04-2015, 07:10 PM
This is so ****ing stupid. I can't recall a player punching in defense, only in retaliation, which is very different. If you are on your back, or truly trying to get away and only using it to create separation (rather than sucker punch), sure, but that doesn't tend to happen. Believing that hitting 2nd is automatically "defense" just escalates the situation.
A player who's physically capable of knocking you out or doing an increased amount of damage over an average person is approaching you and throws a punch, you instead back away instead of protecting your natural right to defend yourself. At the point of backing up you're hoping the player doesn't strike again with players and referees there to protect yourself.

Sounds pretty stupid, while I agree it prevents any further escalation the league takes away the right to protect yourself. You aren't an NBA player and that's a throw away account, so go figure.

DrakeTheSnake
12-04-2015, 07:33 PM
A player who's physically capable of knocking you out or doing an increased amount of damage over an average person is approaching you and throws a punch, you instead back away instead of protecting your natural right to defend yourself. At the point of backing up you're hoping the player doesn't strike again with players and referees there to protect yourself.

Sounds pretty stupid, while I agree it prevents any further escalation the league takes away the right to protect yourself. You aren't an NBA player and that's a throw away account, so go figure.
I'm not saying don't defend yourself, I'm saying what you describe as defending yourself is actually retaliation and doesn't decrease the chance of getting hurt by that guy you described as "capable of knocking you out or doing an increased amount of damage." This is more ego defense than physical defense.

dhsilv
12-04-2015, 07:53 PM

So you're saying throwing a punch is defending one's self? Wow...what planet are you living on?