PDA

View Full Version : Replace MJ with Curry

sportjames23
12-05-2015, 02:38 PM
Put Curry on those 90s Bulls teams. Do they get past the likes of Detroit, New York and Miami? Or Indiana, Atlanta or Cleveland?

ShawkFactory
12-05-2015, 02:46 PM
Put Curry on those 90s Bulls teams. Do they get past the likes of Detroit, New York and Miami? Or Indiana, Atlanta or Cleveland?
Those teams would have no idea what do with a guy like curry

references
12-05-2015, 02:47 PM
very interesting very new

FreezingTsmoove
12-05-2015, 02:51 PM
They probably lose at least once to the Pacers

Who knows with the Jazz. Stockton was a really great defender

80s Pistons he has no chance

Straight_Ballin
12-05-2015, 03:03 PM

No. Curry is a one way player and without the defense that Jordan provided, those 90s bulls teams don't win.

Curry is the new standard of greatness for the current era fan. While he is mediocre in comparison to Jordan's greatness, he's the best that current era has to offer where success can be had by being a 1 way player simply because you are on a team with great defenders to help you out. When Curry faces a team good enough that his defense is needed on top of the defense provided by the rest of his team and he fails because his defense wasn't enough to win, he will be exposed. If he wants to become a true champion, he will start working with some excellent defense coaches ASAP to fill the holes of his game so that he can become a 2 way player. Saying "im the best 3 point shooter in the world" and doing nothing else to work on other aspects of your game will just be another wasted potential. Time for him to stop thinking that he has a life and time to start doing double practices like MJ did if he wants to be GOAT. Sadly I don't think he has it in him and he will just be another let down in the quest to overtake Jordan's greatness.

OldSchoolBBall
12-05-2015, 04:38 PM
Curry's style and abilities are perfectly tailored for today's game where no one can touch ballhandlers and all physicality is banned. Put him in the 80's or 90's where he'd actually have to work - REALLY work - to get free for a shot, and his numbers wouldn't be what they are now. He'd still be a superstar - I'm thinking 25-27 ppg on 48% FG/62% TS with 5.5-7 apg - but that's about it imo.

Curry will never be "tested" by physical battles the way past greats were, and this is why he can maintain this light-hearted attitude on the court and still put up big numbers and have his team unbeaten. Point blank: anyone who thinks that Curry would get to play the same style he plays now in the late 80's through the early 2000's is kidding themselves.

ShaqTwizzle
12-05-2015, 04:49 PM
Reggie Miller was dropping 32ppg on 69%TS in a playoff series against the tough defense Knicks in the 90's.

Also can you imagine Curry with the shortened 3pt line?
:biggums:

Bull's 8peat with Chef Curry.

livinglegend
12-05-2015, 04:53 PM
They were contenders when they replaced MJ with a D-League type of player.
They had the most stacked team of all-time.
So yes, replace him with Curry, they win atleast 6. I would say even more.

sd3035
12-05-2015, 04:53 PM
easy 8 peat for the Bulls as Curry wouldn't have to serve a two year gambling suspension

livinglegend
12-05-2015, 04:54 PM
No. Curry is a one way player and without the defense that Jordan provided, those 90s bulls teams don't win.

Curry is the new standard of greatness for the current era fan. While he is mediocre in comparison to Jordan's greatness, he's the best that current era has to offer where success can be had by being a 1 way player simply because you are on a team with great defenders to help you out. When Curry faces a team good enough that his defense is needed on top of the defense provided by the rest of his team and he fails because his defense wasn't enough to win, he will be exposed. If he wants to become a true champion, he will start working with some excellent defense coaches ASAP to fill the holes of his game so that he can become a 2 way player. Saying "im the best 3 point shooter in the world" and doing nothing else to work on other aspects of your game will just be another wasted potential. Time for him to stop thinking that he has a life and time to start doing double practices like MJ did if he wants to be GOAT. Sadly I don't think he has it in him and he will just be another let down in the quest to overtake Jordan's greatness.

Didn't their defense get better when jordan took a break?
They would have won the championship if the refs didn't screw them that year without jordan.

OldSchoolBBall
12-05-2015, 04:55 PM
Reggie Miller was dropping 32ppg on 69%TS in a playoff series against the tough defense Knicks in the 90's.

Does Curry play Reggie's style of game? At all? Does he (have to) work nearly as hard to get open for shots? Yeah, that's what I thought.

3ball
12-05-2015, 05:01 PM
Didn't their defense get better when jordan took a break?

Bulls DRTG 1991-1993:. 7th, 4th, 7th
Bulls DRTG in .1994...:.. 6th

Bulls ORTG 1991-1993: .1st all-time (115 ORtg - highest ever)
Bulls ORTG in ..1994..:.. 14th in league (106.1 ORtg)

As you can see, MJ enabled a two-way team, which shouldn't be surprising, because Popovich said MJ is the standard for 2-way play:

"He (Kawhi) has the ability to do what a Michael Jordan did at both ends, and I don’t mean he’s Michael Jordan,” Popovich said. “But you think about the best players in the league, they’re not two-way players. He wants to do that.”

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/spurs/2015/11/11/kawhi-leonard-gregg-popovich-spurs-charles-barkley-michael-jordan/75612616/

So take Curry, and make him a better scorer... Then give him superior athleticism and defense to Kawhi Leonard - that's the goat - that's MJ.

3ball
12-05-2015, 05:03 PM
I'm thinking 25-27 ppg on 48% FG/62% TS with 5.5-7 apg - but that's about it imo.

Let's see if he can have ONE season at 25+ ppg, let alone average that previous eras...

Before this season, he'd never done it (23.8 was his high).

sd3035
12-05-2015, 05:05 PM
Defense was a lot weaker in that era, Curry would average 40

dhsilv
12-05-2015, 05:06 PM
Does Curry play Reggie's style of game? At all? Does he (have to) work nearly as hard to get open for shots? Yeah, that's what I thought.

His game allows him to get open without looking like he's working. He can take contested shots without it impact his shot. Mind you miller is one of the most overrated players to ever play the game..l

livinglegend
12-05-2015, 05:06 PM
Bulls DRTG 1991-1993:. 7th, 4th, 7th
Bulls DRTG in .1994...:.. 6th

Bulls ORTG 1991-1993: .1st all-time (115 ORtg - highest ever)
Bulls ORTG in ..1994..:.. 14th in league (106.1 ORtg)

As you can see, MJ enabled a two-way team, which shouldn't be surprising, because Popovich said MJ is the standard for 2-way play:

"He (Kawhi) has the ability to do what a Michael Jordan did at both ends, and I don’t mean he’s Michael Jordan,” Popovich said. “But you think about the best players in the league, they’re not two-way players. He wants to do that.”

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/spurs/2015/11/11/kawhi-leonard-gregg-popovich-spurs-charles-barkley-michael-jordan/75612616/

So take Curry, and make him a better scorer... Then give him superior athleticism and defense to Kawhi Leonard - that's the goat - that's MJ.

Thanks for confirming that their defense got better when he left.
And I didn't need the rest of the nonsense, old no life loser.

sd3035
12-05-2015, 05:08 PM
And I didn't need the rest of the nonsense, old no life loser.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

3ball
12-05-2015, 05:47 PM

Their defense remained the same with Jordan, which is utterly amazing considering their offense improved from below-average to 1st all-time.

But I don't expect you to understand that it's nearly impossible for a team to maintain the same defense while improving that much offensively.

Yeah, I'd rather be old than not understand anything.

OldSchoolBBall
12-05-2015, 06:49 PM
His game allows him to get open without looking like he's working. He can take contested shots without it impact his shot. Mind you miller is one of the most overrated players to ever play the game..l

No, the prohibition on any sort of perimeter defense is what allows him to get open "without looking like he's working" - because he's really not.

3ball
12-05-2015, 06:57 PM
Mind you miller is one of the most overrated players to ever play the game.

Reggie Miller destroys Ray Allen - compare their playoff stats:

Miller: 20.6 ppg.. 44.9 fg.. 60.1 ts
Allen.: 16.0 ppg.. 44.3 fg.. 58.0 ts

Miller and Allen went head to head in the playoffs once in 2000.. Ray was 24, Reggie was 34... Ray averaged 22/7/3, compared to Miller's 24/3/3.. But in pivotal Game 5 to decide the series (1st round was only 5 games back then), Ray was 6-21 and scored 18 points. Reggie was 15-25 and scored 41.. Not only did old man Reggie destroy Allen heads-up, but he has FAR more great playoff performances - it's not even close.

Also, from 1990 to 2001, Miller played with three players who were selected to a combined three all-star games. Miller is 6-6 in playoff series without a single all-star teammate and has made three conference finals under those circumstances.

Otoh, from 2000 to 2011, Allen played with five players who were selected to a combined thirteen all-star games. Ray Allen has never made a playoff appearance in his career without at least one all-star teammate.