PDA

View Full Version : What Curry needs to do to surpass MJ

Marchesk
12-06-2015, 12:07 AM
Why this thread? Because this is ISH and Curry is in God mode, so just to remind the prisoners of the moment.

6+ FMVPs
33.4+ career playoff average
4+ more MVPs
Decade+ of being the uncontested best player in the league
When the MVP goes to someone else, but everyone knows Curry is still best.
When people say that your individual dominance surpasses Wilt, and only a few old era stans/historians protest.

If Curry can do that sort of thing, then we can put him in Jordan company. Up there with or past the likes of Kareem, Wilt and Russell.

SouBeachTalents
12-06-2015, 12:09 AM
Don't forget win DPOY and make All-Defensive First team every season

warriorfan
12-06-2015, 12:09 AM
by the end of the season he is going to have the greatest season of all time

plowking
12-06-2015, 12:10 AM
Why do people feel the next best player needs to topple MJ's stats?

It is blatantly obvious stats/pace/individual dominance is harder to come by in today's game.

People were in awe of Bron and Durant's statistical seasons, but back in the 80's you had several guys doing the same thing despite not being close to the players they were.

Jameerthefear
12-06-2015, 12:11 AM
He's already better than MJ

TaLvsCuaL
12-06-2015, 12:12 AM
Win 5+rings with better stats due weak era.

tmacattack33
12-06-2015, 12:14 AM
He needs to keep doing what he is doing now for 5 seasons.

Though, for people like me that more about peaks then longevity like I do, Curry needs to keep doing this all year and he'll have a peak comparable to the MJ and the top 3 GOAT peaks.

HighFlyer23
12-06-2015, 12:16 AM
MJ never lost out FMVP to a team mate

Curry is already eliminated

MJs stats were insane right from the beginning

SouBeachTalents
12-06-2015, 12:17 AM
He needs to keep doing what he is doing now for 5 seasons.

Though, for people like me that more about peaks then longevity like I do, Curry needs to keep doing this all year and he'll have a peak comparable to the MJ and the top 3 GOAT peaks.

Even if Curry keeps this up the entire season, is he really gonna surpass the likes of '00 Shaq, '03 Duncan, '94 Hakeem, '67 Wilt, Kareem/Magic/Bird etc.? Top 3 GOAT peaks is a helluva group to break into

RidonKs
12-06-2015, 12:18 AM
Don't forget win DPOY and make All-Defensive First team every season
he'll earn himself a defensive team or two

well he'll be granted a few of them anyway

very underrated defender even for his size

tmacattack33
12-06-2015, 12:25 AM
Even if Curry keeps this up the entire season, is he really gonna surpass the likes of '00 Shaq, '03 Duncan, '94 Hakeem, '67 Wilt, Kareem/Magic/Bird etc.? Top 3 GOAT peaks is a helluva group to break into

Actually, I was wrong. If Steph Curry actually keeps this same level of play up then it is THE GOAT season.

33 ppg on .71 TS% (or 66 efg%) and 6 apg. 71 TS% is ridiculous and the only other people who have a TS% that high are bench players who have taken about 12 shots all season so far.

I fully expect the TS% to drop to around 65% though... and so that is what I meant when I said it would be a top 3 GOAT season. MJ's best was 60% TS by the way.

Rocketswin2013
12-06-2015, 12:28 AM
Playoffs.

Marchesk
12-06-2015, 12:32 AM
Actually, I was wrong. If Steph Curry actually keeps this same level of play up then it is THE GOAT season.

33 ppg on .71 TS% (or 66 efg%) and 6 apg. 71 TS% is ridiculous and the only other people who have a TS% that high are bench players who have taken about 12 shots all season so far.

If TS% on volume scoring is the only way to determine the GOAT season. But that leaves out rebounding and defense. You did mention six assists. That's good for a 30+ scorer, but it's not unique.

Beastmode88
12-06-2015, 12:36 AM
Go back in time and not get locked down by delly in the first few games.

tmacattack33
12-06-2015, 12:40 AM
If TS% on volume scoring is the only way to determine the GOAT season. But that leaves out rebounding and defense. You did mention six assists. That's good for a 30+ scorer, but it's not unique.

Yes, other things need to factored in. But Curry has other components of his game as well.

He's a good/great passer, good/above average defender, and his impact on offense is not just in his points... even when he doesn't have the ball he stretches the defense out more than anyone in the history of basketball and that definitely helps his teammates.

And his rebounding is very good for a PG.

DoctorP
12-06-2015, 12:43 AM
• Keep this level of production up for 3-4 years
• Dominate the league for 7+ years
• Break records
• win mvps
• win ships

everything will sort itself out. he should have fun out there and keep pushing the limits for the next gen.

doc, out.

_~

dhsilv
12-06-2015, 12:46 AM

If we drop the playoffs since that's a whole new "season" if you will. Yes at his current rate he would top all those seasons by some margin.

Now if we include playoffs, he's got to have a MONSTER and I mean MONSTER playoff run to catch those guys.

and for funs I'll just leave this here.

http://i.imgur.com/lIYyxlV.jpg

ClipperRevival
12-06-2015, 01:38 AM
Why this thread? Because this is ISH and Curry is in God mode, so just to remind the prisoners of the moment.

6+ FMVPs
4+ more MVPs
When people say that your individual dominance surpasses Wilt, and only a few old era stans/historians protest.

If Curry can do that sort of thing, then we can put him in Jordan company. Up there with or past the likes of Kareem, Wilt and Russell.
:applause:

Fire Colangelo
12-06-2015, 01:50 AM
Well, Curry and MJ both entered the league at 21 years old. MJ didn't win his first ring until 27 years old, Curry won his first ring at 26 years old. So he's already ahead of MJ there (though no FMVP).

Assuming he continues to dominate and win rings for the next 6-7 years. I'd say he'd have a good chance lol.

Lebronxrings
12-06-2015, 01:56 AM
he can start by being his teams best player.

Marchesk
12-06-2015, 02:11 AM

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2013/0711/20130711__andre-iguodala~p1.jpg

90sgoat
12-06-2015, 10:02 AM
[QUOTE=tmacattack33He's a good/great passer[/QUOTE]

He is a subpar passer for his position, if you can't even see this, then you're ignorant or a stan.

His passes very often are not close to chest when received, but at feet or above head, he fumbles the ball and turns it over.

Under pressure his ability to make the correct pass quickly and accurately quickly goes down. This was the only thing keeping Cavs in the finals last season.

He is an all time great scorer but that's it, so was Alex English.

Even though I think he should have won finals MVP, it was more of a Spurs Parker FMVP or Kawhi FMVP than a real FMVP.

G0ATbe
12-06-2015, 10:11 AM
He's already 1 upped Jordan on my all time list but I can understand why 1 ring alone wouldn't be enough for some people to rank him higher. Once he wins another ring I just don't see the argument for Jordan anymore though. Currys clearly the superior scorer whilst playing in a tougher era and in terms of impact it's not even close.

r0drig0lac
12-06-2015, 10:28 AM
Win 5+rings with better stats due weak era.
thread

tragicbronson
12-06-2015, 10:35 AM
Nothing, according to this board, he already passed him, and i agree, 21 great games into the season on GOAT level prove that Steph is, indeed, GOAT, he left other greats like Kobe, Lebron and Duncan on about 15th game and he just passed MJ yesterday. Let's celebrate our new clear GOAT player. :cheers: :applause: :applause:

G0ATbe
12-06-2015, 10:36 AM
Nothing, according to this board, he already passed him, and i agree, 21 great games into the season on GOAT level prove that Steph is, indeed, GOAT, he left other greats like Kobe, Lebron and Duncan on about 15th game and he just passed MJ yesterday. Let's celebrate our new clear GOAT player. :cheers: :applause: :applause:
Just cus he surpassed Jordan doesnt mean he's GOAT:kobe:

tragicbronson
12-06-2015, 10:53 AM
Just cus he surpassed Jordan doesnt mean he's GOAT:kobe:

Don't worry, he left all the greats behind him long ago, just accept that he is the best player ever

Dr Hawk
12-06-2015, 10:58 AM

http://i.imgur.com/uURMQH6.gif

Sakkreth
12-06-2015, 10:59 AM
For starters needs to start playing defense and be the best player on his team when it matters.

sportjames23
12-06-2015, 12:46 PM

6+ FMVPs
4+ more MVPs

:cheers:

greatest-ever
12-06-2015, 01:10 PM
I'd say he would need about 8 or so seasons of the level he's at now along with winning 5-7 rings and 4-5 regular season mvps. I don't think that's realistic being he's already almost 28.

3ball
12-06-2015, 03:17 PM
Curry has 71 TS%

True shooting by itself doesn't make a player better - MJ's was superior across the board:

JORDAN 1991 (21 games): 32.8 ppg.. 6.6 rpg.. 6.1 apg.. 2.1 tov.. 2.7 spg.. 1.4 bpg.. 58.5 fg.. 63.5 ts.. 132 ortg
CURRY.. 2016 (21 games): 32.6 ppg.. 4.9 rpg.. 6.0 apg.. 3.6 tov.. 2.3 spg.. 0.1 bpg.. 52.4 fg.. 70.6 ts.. 129 ortg

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jordami01/gamelog/1991/#440-460-sum:pgl_basic

Also, offensive rating (ORtg) is a better efficiency measure than true shooting because it measures points produced per possession, which includes assists and turnovers.. True shooting doesn't consider assist or turnovers, nor does it measure efficiency on a per possession basis.

Curry's offense on this stretch matches Jordan's

Btw, Jordan's superior 21-game stretch (shown above) was his most efficient stretch (based on points-per-possession, ORtg).. But it's nowhere near his best stretch.. He's had 40 ppg stretches, and also these:

Jordan's first 20 games of the Finals:

35.5 ppg.. 6.5 rpg.. 7.4 apg.. 51.2 fg.. 2.0 spg

(these 20 games include 3 rings, 3 fmvps, and a 3-0 lead with 4th fmvp on the way)

1986-1993 playoffs (107 games):

34.5 ppg.. 6.9 rpg.. 7.1 apg.. 2.3 spg... 1.0 bpg.. 50.3 fg

Sakkreth
12-06-2015, 05:06 PM
http://www.tuxboard.com/photos/2015/06/Andre-Iguodala-Finals-MVP-2015-720x401.jpg

r0drig0lac
12-06-2015, 05:31 PM
True shooting by itself doesn't make a player better - MJ's was superior across the board:

JORDAN 1991 (21 games): 32.8 ppg.. 6.6 rpg.. 6.1 apg.. 2.1 tov.. 2.7 spg.. 1.4 bpg.. 58.5 fg.. 63.5 ts.. 132 ortg
CURRY.. 2016 (21 games): 32.6 ppg.. 4.9 rpg.. 6.0 apg.. 3.6 tov.. 2.3 spg.. 0.1 bpg.. 52.4 fg.. 70.6 ts.. 129 ortg

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jordami01/gamelog/1991/#440-460-sum:pgl_basic

Also, offensive rating (ORtg) is a better efficiency measure than true shooting because it measures points produced per possession, which includes assists and turnovers.. True shooting doesn't consider assist or turnovers, nor does it measure efficiency on a per possession basis.

Btw, Jordan's superior 21-game stretch (shown above) was his most efficient stretch (based on points-per-possession, ORtg).. But it's nowhere near his best stretch.. He's had 40 ppg stretches, and also these:

Jordan's first 20 games of the Finals:

35.5 ppg.. 6.5 rpg.. 7.4 apg.. 51.2 fg.. 2.0 spg

(these 20 games include 3 rings, 3 fmvps, and a 3-0 lead with 4th fmvp on the way)

1986-1993 playoffs (107 games):

34.5 ppg.. 6.9 rpg.. 7.1 apg.. 2.3 spg... 1.0 bpg.. 50.3 fg
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view2/4294703/vince-carter-says-its-over-o.gif

tontoz
12-06-2015, 09:01 PM
by the end of the season he is going to have the greatest season of all time

If he keeps going the way he is now he will certainly have the best offensive season i can remember, and i am hella old.

But the Jordan comparisons are getting out of hand. Different positions and completely different players, not to mention different eras.

He should be getting compared to other pgs. He really is redefining the position.

dhsilv
12-06-2015, 09:02 PM
If he keeps going the way he is now he will certainly have the best offensive season i can remember, and i am hella old.

But the Jordan comparisons are getting out of hand. Different positions and completely different players, not to mention different eras.

He should be getting compared to other pgs. He really is redefining the position.

There is no point guard to compare him to. At least MJ scored at a similar clip. I mean Oscar did it all in the pace inflated era. Umm are we calling west a point? Still pace inflated.

MJ is actually the only reasonable comp. High shot volume while still having a high TS%.

Straight_Ballin
12-06-2015, 09:07 PM
MJ never lost out FMVP to a team mate

Curry is already eliminated

MJs stats were insane right from the beginning

And there you have it.

Oh well, so much for Curry.

Next?

"But Jordan set the bar too high!!!!" - cried the current era fan!

Quit yer bitching.

beastee
12-06-2015, 09:17 PM
Nothing. No one will ever surpass MJ. But Curry can and is redefining the league in his own way. He has a legitimate chance for top 10, but a LOT, I mean a LOT has to happen. Crazy to me how quickly Lebron became yesterday's news though. Damn :eek:

J Shuttlesworth
12-06-2015, 09:22 PM
Nothing.

-Jordan was dominant for pretty much his whole career aside from Wizards stint
-Jordan was a two way player. DPOY/First team all defense
-6 FMVPs... Curry still has none

The defense alone eliminates Curry from being GOAT. What Curry CAN do is have the best offensive season of all time, and maybe even be considered the best offensive player of all time if he keeps this up over the next 5 seasons. Even then, I don't know if he could be considered offensively as dominant as Jordan considering MJ was dominant in his first few seasons as well as his prime/peak.

Straight_Ballin
12-06-2015, 09:28 PM
Nothing.

-Jordan was dominant for pretty much his whole career aside from Wizards stint
-Jordan was a two way player. DPOY/First team all defense
-6 FMVPs... Curry still has none

The defense alone eliminates Curry from being GOAT. What Curry CAN do is have the best offensive season of all time, and maybe even be considered the best offensive player of all time if he keeps this up over the next 5 seasons. Even then, I don't know if he could be considered offensively as dominant as Jordan considering MJ was dominant in his first few seasons as well as his prime/peak.

Agreed but it's kind of scary how the standards of what is considered to be the "face of the NBA" has diminished to the low standard of just being a 1-way player. What I think is going to happen is that Curry is going to have a fire lit under his ass. Now that he can taste the possibility of becoming the next GOAT, he's going to be doing anything and everything he can to become a 2-way player and hopefully at least make all defensive 2nd team. While a lebron stan can't even speak to a Jordan fan and be taking seriously, at least a Curry stan has a potential shot of being able to get a few words in every now and then.