PDA

View Full Version : Curry is on par with Magic and Bird defensively

Ca$H
12-06-2015, 01:18 AM
So why do they get a free pass while Curry doesn't?
Curry will surpass both Bird and Magic on the GOAT list. He is more dominant and efficient.

SouBeachTalents
12-06-2015, 01:20 AM
Curry will surpass both Bird and Magic on the GOAT list. He is more dominant and efficient.

I agree with the first half of your post but :lol at this. Let's see him get a Finals MVP vote first

Legends66NBA7
12-06-2015, 01:30 AM
Bird was better on defense.

Ca$H
12-06-2015, 01:38 AM
Bird was better on defense.

No.

SHAQisGOAT
12-06-2015, 02:19 AM
Better than Bird on defense? :roll:

Nikka please :kobe:

Neither is remotely close to being a 1on1 lockdown defender but Bird's team defense was WAY better and his overall defensive impact EASILY trumps Curry's...
You're claim is just preposterous :facepalm

Celtics went from being the 3rd worst ranked defense just before Bird got there, to a top5 defense in Bird's rookie year... With the same core roster and new coach Bill Fitch... Larry was 1st in the league in DWS, 6th in DRtg; while not even one of his teammates came close to that... Parish, McHale or DJ weren't there yet, for that matter.

Boston were always considerably better on D with Bird on the court, and their decline in defensive ranking coincides with Bird getting older and his decline in health and defensive impact.
Even when Larry came back as a total shell in 1989-90, they went from being 20th to 12th in Def Rtg.

Dude made 3 all-defensive teams competing with some terrific defensive forwards in an era where name/fame didn't get you there... And, tbh, he definitely should've made it plenty of more times.

Bird led the league in DWS 4 times, was top5 7 times. He was once 2nd in DRtg, top10 6 times... Other forwards, throughout history, who did something similar? You got KG, Duncan, Bobby Jones, Rodman, Pippen and extremely few others...
Larry was the leader in combined DWS from 1980 til 1985... I don't believe that any other forward can make the same claim, over a 5-year period.

^Those are all just coincidences, I guess :confusedshrug: :rolleyes:

What free pass? http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/snoop.png

Bird had a great defensive IQ, he barely got lost on rotations, he knew exactly when to double-team, he was very good at playing the passing lanes, he created many TO's, he knew how to use his body to protect the paint, he drew charges time and time again, he was capable of averaging 1 BPG, he had two of the quickest hands, was active on defense, "predicted" actions before they happened and got steals/blocks due to it, he could funnel his man onto defensive help, before back injuries he more than held his own on the perimeter, he was always a pretty good post m2m defender, clutch on the defensive end, led great defense into easy offense...
His RIDICULOUS (and instant) overall impact also was a lot due to his defense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpEAZMT5t_U

Steph can't **** with that...

Stop with them dumb, ignorant hyperboles, please :facepalm

And what's that talk about Curry surpassing Bird and Magic?
:coleman:
Getting a little ahead of ourselves there, to say the least, huh? :facepalm
Steph has been simply amazing but let's not get there just yet... Shit, overrating much? :rolleyes:

Fire Colangelo
12-06-2015, 02:25 AM
Better than Bird on defense? :roll:

Nikka please :kobe:

Neither is remotely close to being a 1on1 lockdown defender but Bird's team defense was WAY better and his overall defensive impact EASILY trumps Curry's...
You're claim is just preposterous :facepalm

Celtics went from being the 3rd worst ranked defense just before Bird got there, to a top5 defense in Bird's rookie year... With the same core roster and new coach Bill Fitch... Larry was 1st in the league in DWS, 6th in DRtg; while not even one of his teammates came close to that... Parish, McHale or DJ weren't there yet, for that matter.

Boston were always considerably better on D with Bird on the court, and their decline in defensive ranking coincides with Bird getting older and his decline in health and defensive impact.
Even when Larry came back as a total shell in 1989-90, they went from being 20th to 12th in Def Rtg.

Dude made 3 all-defensive teams competing with some terrific defensive forwards in an era where name/fame didn't get you there... And, tbh, he definitely should've made it plenty of more times.

Bird led the league in DWS 4 times, was top5 7 times. He was once 2nd in DRtg, top10 6 times... Other forwards, throughout history, who did something similar? You got KG, Duncan, Bobby Jones, Rodman, Pippen and extremely few others...
Larry was the leader in combined DWS from 1980 til 1985... I don't believe that any other forward can make the same claim, over a 5-year period.

^Those are all just coincidences, I guess :confusedshrug: :rolleyes:

What free pass? http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/snoop.png

Bird had a great defensive IQ, he barely got lost on rotations, he knew exactly when to double-team, he was very good at playing the passing lanes, he created many TO's, he knew how to use his body to protect the paint, he drew charges time and time again, he was capable of averaging 1 BPG, he had two of the quickest hands, was active on defense, "predicted" actions before they happened and got steals/blocks due to it, he could funnel his man onto defensive help, before back injuries he more than held his own on the perimeter, he was always a pretty good post m2m defender, clutch on the defensive end, led great defense into easy offense...
His RIDICULOUS (and instant) overall impact also was a lot due to his defense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpEAZMT5t_U

Steph can't **** with that...

Stop with them dumb, ignorant hyperboles, please :facepalm

And what's that talk about Curry surpassing Bird and Magic?
Getting a little ahead of ourselves there, to say the least, huh? :facepalm
Steph has been simply amazing but let's not get there just yet... Shit, overrating much? :rolleyes:

If Steph continued his current production throughout the season, where would you put this season among Magic and Bird's best seasons?

Assuming Curry averages 32/5/6 on 50/45/90 and wins MVP.

Kvnzhangyay
12-06-2015, 02:28 AM
If Steph continued his current production throughout the season, where would you put this season among Magic and Bird's best seasons?

It's top 4 GOAT peak, over Bird and Magic rather easily

dhsilv
12-06-2015, 02:38 AM

Bird was a GREAT defensive player....now magic is another story...

Donkey4trading
12-06-2015, 02:40 AM
I agree with the first half of your post but :lol at this. Let's see him get a Finals MVP vote first

your "objectiveness" is really getting exposed lately, just come out as the Lebron fan boy we all know you are

dhsilv
12-06-2015, 02:41 AM

If he can keep this up, it's the best season in the history of the game. He won't though....it's just not possible, right?

deja vu
12-06-2015, 02:44 AM
On par? You never watched Bird and Magic play, do you?

SHAQisGOAT
12-06-2015, 02:46 AM

I don't know, it's still tough to say (and they played in different times) but, call it, hypothetically... That would've CERTAINLY surpassed any type of scoring+shooting displayed by Bird (or Magic, ofc) in the regular-season... But the playmaking/passing still can't **** with Magic's (not even Bird's), the rebounding still can't **** with Bird's (not even Magic's), and the defense is not even close to Bird's... So...

Also depends on what his team does and his impact towards their success (all of that has been terrific as of right now) and then, the most important thing, what he/they will do in the Playoffs... We'll see.

He's been playing at a scary level but when everything's considered...
-Bird has a top5 GOAT peak.
-Magic has a top10 GOAT peak.
^Stuff like that, what they "did"... It's EXTREMELY hard to overdo.

Anyways, like I've said he's been simply amazing but it's still a bit soon to talk about stuff like that...

tmacattack33
12-06-2015, 02:48 AM

50/45/90 is good but it doesn't do what Curry is doing justice. Because he is shooting almost double the amount of three pointers that anyone else ever did.

Just use TS%. Curry is at 71 TS%. Anything above 60 TS% is amazing. MJ's best was 61. :rockon:

If someone gets just one game where they score 30 points with a 70 TS% it is pretty amazing and I would be impressed. Well, Curry is AVERAGING that. LOL.

If he continues at 71 TS% this will be the most amazing season I've ever witnessed in any of the three sports I watch. That is impossible though. He will come back down. And then we can talk.

SouBeachTalents
12-06-2015, 02:48 AM
your "objectiveness" is really getting exposed lately, just come out as the Lebron fan boy we all know you are

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=343651

One of the first threads I made on ISH

Hold this L

SHAQisGOAT
12-06-2015, 02:59 AM
50/45/90 is good but it doesn't do what Curry is doing justice. Because he is shooting almost double the amount of three pointers that anyone else ever did.

Just use TS%. Curry is at 71 TS%. Anything above 60 TS% is amazing. MJ's best was 61. :rockon:

If someone gets just one game where they score 30 points with a 70 TS% it is pretty amazing and I would be impressed. Well, Curry is AVERAGING that. LOL.

If he continues at 71 TS% this will be the most amazing season I've ever witnessed in any of the three sports I watch. That is impossible though. He will come back down. And then we can talk.

Gotta look at the whole picture though...

What's impressive here is his scoring+shooting plus his team success and his impact towards it... Most of that has been out of this World, as of right now, tbh...
Especially his scoring+shooting... Just http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/wow.png

However, his playmaking/passing is not what you'd call special, his rebounding is pretty good for the position but nothing more, his defense is not great... Other ATG's easily shit on him in all of those things combined.

Plus, can't deny that his team is stacked and very few teams can even rival them right now.

With that said, and again, he's been simply amazing... If he can keep up that type of scoring and shooting, delivering clutch performances, if he keeps leading his team to that type of winning... Certainly will be one of the GOAT seasons... Don't know about THE GOAT though, some people just overreact present things; and then we'll see what happens in the Playoffs.

TomBrady
12-06-2015, 03:08 AM
1) Bird does not get a pass.
2) Bird was better than Curry defensively and was far from a bad defender, which Curry is.
3) Bird/Magic > Curry.
4) Celtics >

LoneyROY7
12-06-2015, 03:10 AM
"Steph is on pace to make more 3s in his last 2 seasons then Bird did in his entire 13-yr career."

:oldlol:

GrapeApe
12-06-2015, 03:12 AM
Curry is NOT on par with Bird defensively. Bird made 3 all-defense teams and was one of the smartest defensive players ever. Curry is a net-negative defender and will probably never recieve so much as an all-defense vote, much less make a team.

LoneyROY7
12-06-2015, 03:15 AM
Curry has a higher field goal percentage than all 40 of the top scorers in the league EXCEPT...

Blake Griffin. :applause:

Marchesk
12-06-2015, 03:18 AM
Curry has a higher field goal percentage than all 40 of the top scorers in the league EXCEPT...

Blake Griffin. :applause:

Blake > Curry :confusedshrug:

LoneyROY7
12-06-2015, 03:22 AM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CVhlHQRUAAA_nzC.jpg

Spurs5Rings2014
12-06-2015, 04:23 AM

Except in the 4th quarter.

LoneyROY7
12-06-2015, 04:29 AM
Except in the 4th quarter.

Curry is a GOD in the 4th.

Spurs5Rings2014
12-06-2015, 04:38 AM
Curry is a GOD in the 4th.

:cheers:

bdreason
12-06-2015, 04:41 AM
Bird was a much better defender.

DrakeTheSnake
12-06-2015, 05:19 AM
The OP makes Magic and Bird sound like they are equals on defense, which speaks to his ignorance. Bird was better than Magic on that end of the court. Curry make be Magic's equal, but not Bird's.

90sgoat
12-06-2015, 10:08 AM
Curry is basically a one way player only. He is the Tony Parker of the GSW, that's why he didn't win FMVP. He gets carried.

PHILA
12-06-2015, 10:35 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eUyMFzagt4&t=57m

ArbitraryWater
12-06-2015, 10:57 AM

He might tbh.. he's as good as they ever were, and he def. won't have any troubles covering the longevity department.

Ca$H
12-06-2015, 11:15 AM
"Steph is on pace to make more 3s in his last 2 seasons then Bird did in his entire 13-yr career."

The 3 point line was closer in Bird's era too! :roll: :roll:

Magic 32
12-06-2015, 11:16 AM
Bird was a great rebounder.

And you can be a great rebounder as a PG (Kidd).

Curry is not.

NBASTATMAN
12-06-2015, 11:18 AM

Bird was better defensively IMO.... But Curry's current season is better than any either Magic or Bird had during their best days... The season is only 25% thru so we will see how he finishes it. Curry is just on another level.. His offense play is as good as any player I have ever seen at this point.. If not better... Guy is just amazing...

Ca$H
12-06-2015, 11:18 AM
The OP makes Magic and Bird sound like they are equals on defense, which speaks to his ignorance. Bird was better than Magic on that end of the court. Curry make be Magic's equal, but not Bird's.

His comparison to Magic is more important/relevant since they are both PGs. If KD joins the Warriors next summer and Curry ends up with 6-8 titles while maintaing this peak for the next 6-7 years then he will surpass Magic as the GOAT PG.

IGOTGAME
12-06-2015, 11:19 AM
Bird was better defensively IMO.... But Curry's current season is better than any either Magic or Bird had during their best days... The season is only 25% thru so we will see how he finishes it. Curry is just on another level.. His offense play is as good as any player I have ever seen at this point.. If not better... Guy is just amazing...

Bird had some pretty good seasons...just saying.

feyki
12-06-2015, 11:20 AM
Bird=Magic on defence ?

:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

SHAQisGOAT
12-06-2015, 12:19 PM

:biggums:

Is this nikka just trolling or really that ignorant? :rolleyes:

3pt-line was closer in Bird's era?! :wtf:

You really don't know what you're talking about and just exposed yourself...

:facepalm

90sgoat
12-06-2015, 12:27 PM
Lol at Bird being a poor defender:facepalm

Go watch a Bird game, he is basically the definition of hustle, like a Mark Madsen or Nick Collison coupled with thug life like Pat Beverly, plus actually being a decent and big help defender.

No one put more effort into the game than Bird, this is really stupid, Curry dances around like a spoiled brat, which he is, and lets his role players carry his no-D playing ass.

j3lademaster
12-06-2015, 12:30 PM
I agree with the first half of your post but :lol at this. Let's see him get a Finals MVP vote firstI don't know why this gets held against him. Anyone who watched the finals knows Curry was the most impactful player for the Warriors. I feel like the voters changed their criteria and chose the player who played the best to their(that specific player's) own standards rather than who the best player of that series was. Best was clearly Lebron and Curry was clearly the 2nd most impactful and best player for the winning team.

SHAQisGOAT
12-06-2015, 12:31 PM

Bird was EASILY better defensively... that's a fact.

In terms of scoring/shooting Steph's season has been better than ANY of Bird's or Magic's seasons in that regard... SO FAR, ofc.
They played in different eras though, can't disregard that, obviously... And Bird was a more versatile scorer, could do it in more ways, for what it's worth.

Curry's also up there in terms of impact towards winning (while they're winning BIG) and clutch play.

BUT...
He ain't ****ing with Magic's passing/playmaking, nor Bird's.
He ain't ****ing with Bird's defense.
He ain't even ****ing with Bird's/Magic's rebounding at the position.

Plus, Bird and Magic displayed an unreal level while winning it ALL and dominating the competition til the end... Let's see how this season unfolds for Steph and the Warriors first, let's see what he/they will do in the Playoffs.

So, no... You can't say that it's better than Bird's peak (or Magic's) like that...

Bird has a top5 GOAT peak, overall
Magic has a top10 GOAT peak, overall.
^That's EXTREMELY tough to surpass... We'll see though.

With all of that said, Steph has been simply amazing, just ****ing crazy.

Bird did shit like lead his team in...
-assists
-steals
-FG%
-FT%
... for an entire Playoffs run. Carrying them all the way to the title.

Larry at his very best, in the regular-season, was...
-1st in the league in FT%, 3pt's made, WS, PER, and DWS
-4th in PPG, 3P% and DRtg
-7th in RPG
-9th in SPG
-13th in total assists
Then KILLED every team in the Playoffs, reaching the Finals and averaging a triple-double (when rounding up) for the series, while winning and playing great defense.

You watch him in his peak and it seems like he's EVERYWHERE, doing EVERYTHING, at an unreal level that not more than a handful have ever reached... Dude was like Neo in the Matrix, all throughout the year.
I mean:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maS9smxRubI
Even won a jump-ball vs Hakeem... Just...
http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/wow.png

90sgoat
12-06-2015, 12:39 PM
I don't know why this gets held against him. Anyone who watched the finals knows Curry was the most impactful player for the Warriors. I feel like the voters changed their criteria and chose the player who played the best to their(that specific player's) own standards rather than who the best player of that series was. Best was clearly Lebron and Curry was clearly the 2nd most impactful and best player for the winning team.

Warriors don't win without Curry. I also thought he would win, but it would be a very weak FMVP, sort of like a Spurs FMVP.

Curry did come up big in the 4th in a coupe of games, but overall he played poorly with tons of bad passes and zero d.

feyki
12-07-2015, 08:53 AM
Lol at Bird being a poor defender:facepalm

Go watch a Bird game, he is basically the definition of hustle, like a Mark Madsen or Nick Collison coupled with thug life like Pat Beverly, plus actually being a decent and big help defender.

No one put more effort into the game than Bird, this is really stupid, Curry dances around like a spoiled brat, which he is, and lets his role players carry his no-D playing ass.

:rockon: :rockon:

sdot_thadon
12-07-2015, 09:39 AM
Bro :biggums:

DrakeTheSnake
12-07-2015, 10:08 AM
Curry is basically a one way player only. He is the Tony Parker of the GSW, that's why he didn't win FMVP. He gets carried.

SyRyanYang
12-07-2015, 10:19 AM
Bird was a great rebounder.

And you can be a great rebounder as a PG (Kidd).

Curry is not.

He's averaging 5 rpg playing 34mpg this year. That's pretty good for his position and size.

jstern
12-07-2015, 10:51 AM
If Curry was on par with Bird defensively, he would have won Finals MVP.

DrakeTheSnake
12-07-2015, 10:56 AM
I don't know why this gets held against him. Anyone who watched the finals knows Curry was the most impactful player for the Warriors. I feel like the voters changed their criteria and chose the player who played the best to their(that specific player's) own standards rather than who the best player of that series was. Best was clearly Lebron and Curry was clearly the 2nd most impactful and best player for the winning team.
Agreed. I think they were also voting on what was the better story.

jstern
12-07-2015, 11:12 AM
Agreed. I think they were also voting on what was the better story.

The better story would have been Curry winning it. The public loves Curry and his little daughter that they kept showing throughout the Finals. Plus he's the super star. Iguodala did really deserve it because if anyone else guarded Lebron during the final minutes, Cavs would had won it. It's something that is what it is. Other great super star players have lost Finals MVP to teammates, it's no big deal, except on ISH where everything will be used against a player.

Sakkreth
12-07-2015, 11:19 AM
Curry on par with Bird defensively ?
:roll:
Even Magic was better than Curry. But Bird ? :oldlol: OP do yourself and everyone else a favor, don't post anymore ever, it only will embarrass you.

DrakeTheSnake
12-07-2015, 11:24 AM
Even Magic was better than Curry. But Bird ? :oldlol: OP do yourself and everyone else a favor, don't post anymore ever, it only will embarrass you.
I think people see a white man and assume he isn't a good defender unless he is so outstanding at D that he gains a reputation for it.

Straight_Ballin
12-07-2015, 11:25 AM

At the moment Curry is a 1-way player that needs to at least make a 2nd NBA all defensive team. When he does, he will be a more complete player. No point in letting all that talent go to waste so that he winds up being disrespected like Bron, who did it all to himself.

Pointguard
12-07-2015, 12:53 PM
Bird was EASILY better defensively... that's a fact.

In terms of scoring/shooting Steph's season has been better than ANY of Bird's or Magic's seasons in that regard... SO FAR, ofc.
They played in different eras though, can't disregard that, obviously... And Bird was a more versatile scorer, could do it in more ways, for what it's worth.

Curry's also up there in terms of impact towards winning (while they're winning BIG) and clutch play.

BUT...
He ain't ****ing with Magic's passing/playmaking, nor Bird's.
He ain't ****ing with Bird's defense.
He ain't even ****ing with Bird's/Magic's rebounding at the position.

Plus, Bird and Magic displayed an unreal level while winning it ALL and dominating the competition til the end... Let's see how this season unfolds for Steph and the Warriors first, let's see what he/they will do in the Playoffs.

So, no... You can't say that it's better than Bird's peak (or Magic's) like that...

Bird has a top5 GOAT peak, overall
Magic has a top10 GOAT peak, overall.
^That's EXTREMELY tough to surpass... We'll see though.

With all of that said, Steph has been simply amazing, just ****ing crazy.

Bird did shit like lead his team in...
-assists
-steals
-FG%
-FT%
... for an entire Playoffs run. Carrying them all the way to the title.

Larry at his very best, in the regular-season, was...
-1st in the league in FT%, 3pt's made, WS, PER, and DWS
-4th in PPG, 3P% and DRtg
-7th in RPG
-9th in SPG
-13th in total assists
Then KILLED every team in the Playoffs, reaching the Finals and averaging a triple-double (when rounding up) for the series, while winning and playing great defense.

You watch him in his peak and it seems like he's EVERYWHERE, doing EVERYTHING, at an unreal level that not more than a handful have ever reached... Dude was like Neo in the Matrix, all throughout the year.
I mean:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maS9smxRubI
Even won a jump-ball vs Hakeem... Just...
http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/wow.png
This.
could you imagine, Magic and Bird playing five years before being considered a top ten player among contemporaries? While Curry could conceivably have a top three peak, I think he's capable, and probably 5 years as a top five player among contemporaries, as a top ten player he might get six years??? its still a lot less than Bird or Magic. Most of the GOATs are consistent with having like eight years there.

And like you said the all around game and smarts were a bit different with Bird and Magic. I don't know why everybody wants to jump the gun. You got pay dues.

DrakeTheSnake
12-07-2015, 01:21 PM
The better story would have been Curry winning it. The public loves Curry and his little daughter that they kept showing throughout the Finals. Plus he's the super star. Iguodala did really deserve it because if anyone else guarded Lebron during the final minutes, Cavs would had won it. It's something that is what it is. Other great super star players have lost Finals MVP to teammates, it's no big deal, except on ISH where everything will be used against a player.

Curry winning is easy to root for, but not the better story by a long shot. Underappreciated vet coming off the bench to match up with LeBron is clearly the better story. LeBron being the first person since West to win a FMVP without winning the championship is also a better story.

rmt
12-07-2015, 01:45 PM
Curry winning is easy to root for, but not the better story by a long shot. Underappreciated vet coming off the bench to match up with LeBron is clearly the better story. LeBron being the first person since West to win a FMVP without winning the championship is also a better story.

Better story is Curry winning. NBA has been hyping up stars (looking for the next MJ, I guess) to cater to the casual fan. Real basketball fans know the value of Iggy playing defense on Lebron.

rmt
12-07-2015, 01:50 PM

Well, you say that Lebron was the best - who was guarding him for half of the game? Otoh, who was Curry guarding? And if Kyrie had been healthy, do you think Curry would have been as effective offensively?

Defense matters - and in this case, FMVP went to the right player - unlike 2007 when Parker won. What was most important in that series - stopping Lebron (the rest of the team was meh)? Who stopped Lebron from driving into the paint and forced him to take jump shots (which weren't good back then)?

mehyaM24
12-07-2015, 02:11 PM
Well, you say that Lebron was the best - who was guarding him for half of the game? Otoh, who was Curry guarding? And if Kyrie had been healthy, do you think Curry would have been as effective offensively?

Defense matters - and in this case, FMVP went to the right player - unlike 2007 when Parker won. What was most important in that series - stopping Lebron (the rest of the team was meh)? Who stopped Lebron from driving into the paint and forced him to take jump shots (which weren't good back then)?

hmmm. did you watch the 2007 finals?

it had very little to do with duncan and more to do with sa's TEAM defense. the spurs, as a team, made a concentrated effort in packing the paint and forcing lebron to shoot (att his jumpshot was streaky).

bowen specifically played lebron with airspace forcing him to take long two's.

if not for parker, then bowen should've won fmvp. duncan probably wasn't even considered as parker's offense had more impact than duncan's defense

rmt
12-07-2015, 02:39 PM
hmmm. did you watch the 2007 finals?

it had very little to do with duncan and more to do with sa's TEAM defense. the spurs, as a team, made a concentrated effort in packing the paint and forcing lebron to shoot (att his jumpshot was streaky).

bowen specifically played lebron with airspace forcing him to take long two's.

if not for parker, then bowen should've won fmvp. duncan probably wasn't even considered as parker's offense had more impact than duncan's defense

IMO, Spurs would have eventually won the series even without Parker - controlling Lebron was key to winning. Duncan was instrumental in shutting down the paint and Bowen forced Lebron to take jump shots with his hand in Lebron's face. What, you think that Oberto, Elson, Horry or Bonner would protect the paint/rim like Duncan did?

Do you really think that Bowen with his 6 points would win FMVP over Duncan with his 18.3 points? I guess you're totally forgetting Duncan's offense too with regard to your "Parker's offense had more impact than duncan's defense". The question should be "Did Parker's offense (6 pts) and defense have more impact than Duncan's offense and defense (more rebounds, assists, steals, blks and anchoring the defense)?" And we all know the answer to that.

2007 Finals
Parker 24.5 pts / 3.3 asst / 0.8 stl
Duncan 18.3 / 11.5 rebs / 3.8 asst / 1.3 stl / 2.3 blks

GOBB
12-07-2015, 04:34 PM
Curry defense vs Allen iverson defense. What do the adv stats say there

90sgoat
12-07-2015, 05:06 PM
Curry defense vs Allen iverson defense. What do the adv stats say there

Eye test says AI is better that's for sure.

Lets see if the stats back it up.

KevinNYC
12-07-2015, 06:43 PM
When did you start watching the NBA?

KevinNYC
12-07-2015, 06:46 PM
Curry is a net-negative defender and will probably never recieve so much as an all-defense vote, much less make a team.
Is that still true?

KevinNYC
12-07-2015, 06:55 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eUyMFzagt4&t=57m
Nice! Left handed too.

warriorfan
12-07-2015, 07:02 PM
Curry is a better defender than Magic Johnson.

Bird and Curry is a toss up defensively. Curry is a much better offensive player than Bird however.

KevinNYC
12-07-2015, 07:05 PM
The 3 point line was closer in Bird's era too! :roll: :roll:Are you laughing at your own ignorance? 23'9" was line when Bird played.
During the 1994

KevinNYC
12-07-2015, 07:14 PM
Curry is a better defender than Magic Johnson.

Bird and Curry is a toss up defensively. Curry is a much better offensive player than Bird however.
Neither of these are true. It's not a toss up.

Curry's a better shooter. Bird's a better passer.

fragokota
12-07-2015, 07:19 PM

http://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/assets/4375587/birdsad.gif

SHAQisGOAT
12-07-2015, 08:24 PM

http://i60.tinypic.com/et6y2v.jpg

Bird is a MUCH better defensive player than Curry... ****ing joke that such "question" pops up.

Yea, right :rolleyes: Bird being a better passer/playmaker, better offensive rebounder, having a better post-game, so on... Means nothing :oldlol:
Even most shit that Curry excels at:
-Shooting? Say Steph is better (only from 3 though, and Larry didn't play/came up in 3pt-era)... But Bird's also one of the GOAT shooters.
-Off the ball play? Curry can greatly work for his production without the ball like Bird, but Larry was better at using it for his teammate/team's sake.
-Floaters and runners? Bird was a MASTER at that, with BOTH hands.

As of RIGHT NOW in this season Curry's SCORING at a better rate than Bird ever did... But let's see how the season ends, and THEN let's see what he brings in the Playoffs... And don't forget, Bird did that shit time and time again, proving himself way more than just "once"...
Curry also showing the clutch gene and showing tremendous impact towards his team winning while they're winning BIG... But Bird's a top3 GOAT clutch performer, one of the most impactful ever, one of the biggest winners in the game...
Oh, and as for the everything else on the basketball court combined (apart from overall scoring/shooting)? Curry ain't ****in with Bird.

Now... Go to bed...

warriorfan
12-07-2015, 08:32 PM
Neither of these are true. It's not a toss up.

Curry's a better shooter. Bird's a better passer.

The defensive part is very arguable, the offensive part is not.

Steph Curry is the greatest offensive player in the history of the game at this point.

Larry Bird was an All Time Great when it comes to offensive play, that is for sure. He just wasn't as good as Steph Curry offensively.

Part of this comes with the positions they play. Point Guards naturally have a greater ability to influence the team's offense when compared to a Power Forward. This combined with Steph Curry's shot creation from 30 feet and it has opened up the defenses like we have never seen before.

There is no disrespect to Larry Bird when saying that Steph Curry is a better offensive player than him. Steph Curry is the best offensive player we have seen in the history of the game so far.

warriorfan
12-07-2015, 08:36 PM
http://i60.tinypic.com/et6y2v.jpg

Bird is a MUCH better defensive player than Curry... ****ing joke that such "question" pops up.

Yea, right :rolleyes: Bird being a better passer/playmaker, better offensive rebounder, having a better post-game, so on... Means nothing :oldlol:
-Shooting? Say Steph is better (only from 3 though, and Larry didn't play/came up in 3pt-era)... But Bird's also one of the GOAT shooters.
-Off the ball play? Curry can greatly work for his production without the ball like Bird, but Larry was better at using it for his teammate/team's sake.

As of RIGHT NOW in this season Curry's SCORING at a better rate than Bird ever did... But let's see how the season ends, and THEN let's see what he brings in the Playoffs... And don't forget, Bird did that shit time and time again, proving himself way more than just "once"...
Curry also showing the clutch gene and showing tremendous impact towards his team winning while they're winning BIG... But Bird's a top3 GOAT clutch performer, one of the most impactful ever, one of the biggest winners in the game...
Oh, and as for the everything else on the basketball court combined (apart from overall scoring/shooting)? Curry ain't ****in with Bird.

Now... Go to bed...

first off suck a dicc with that attitude, you are being crazy insecure right now and it's not a good look

there is no way you can tell me that larry bird is a better offensive player than steph curry

for one he doesn't have the ball handling, for two he doesn't have the range

steph curry's biggest asset is the ability to draw defenders so far out on the perimeter, stretching the entire floor for everyone else. steph curry is like a shaq on offense except instead of pulling the team towards the basket, he pulls them all away. the result has been historic lead offenses with players who are not great offensively besides Klay Thompson. And he is shakey at best.

like I said you can make an argument for Larry Bird being better defensively than Steph Curry...a lot of that stems from the fact that Power Forwards tend to get their fingerprints on the game defensively more when compared to Point Guards.

on the flip side Point Guards effect the offensive side more drastically than Power Forwards. this plus Steph Curry's literal one in a kind skill set has made him the most valuable offensive player that we have seen in the NBA.

Ca$H
12-07-2015, 08:54 PM
first off suck a dicc with that attitude, you are being crazy insecure right now and it's not a good look

there is no way you can tell me that larry bird is a better offensive player than steph curry

steph curry's biggest asset is the ability to draw defenders so far out on the perimeter, stretching the entire floor for everyone else. steph curry is like a shaq on offense except instead of pulling the team towards the basket, he pulls them all away. the result has been historic lead offenses with players who are not great offensively besides Klay Thompson. And he is shakey at best.

like I said you can make an argument for Larry Bird being better defensively than Steph Curry...a lot of that stems from the fact that Power Forwards tend to get their fingerprints on the game defensively more when compared to Point Guards.

on the flip side Point Guards effect the offensive side more drastically than Power Forwards. this plus Steph Curry's literal one in a kind skill set has made him the most valuable offensive player that we have seen in the NBA.

Great post. Bird played with 3 hall of fame teammates. Last year Curry played with 1 all star teammate Klay who is basically a rich man's 3 and D role player.
No comparison.

SHAQisGOAT
12-07-2015, 08:56 PM

Nikka please :rolleyes: You've just said that Curry is a just as good as Bird defensively and that he's a much better offensive player than Larry... Talk about 'not a good look' :facepalm
You're attitude towards Curry is known though, if anyone sucks dick that one is you, son.

There is no way I can tell you that?? :lol Right...........

Ball-handling? Bird was a forward :rolleyes: He could protect the ball pretty well and did his thing on isos and fastbreaks (with terrific footwork), that was easily more than good enough... How about neither being a great athlete but Bird being 6'9? Let's bring that up...

What range? You're acting like Bird wasn't a great shooter and didn't have plenty of range...
Like I've said, Curry's definitely a better 3pt-shooter but Bird didn't play/come up in 3pt-era and he STILL did his thing with the 3pt-shot while making it into a dangerous weapon in his arsenal... Bird was a great 3pt-shooter and inside the 3pt-line though? He's better than Steph.

No :roll: You cannot make an argument for Curry being a better, more impactful defensive player than Bird...

You're known to vastly underrate Steph's teammates (and overrate Curry), so I won't go there... I'll just say this:
Bird was just a terrific scorer from EVERYWHERE but you if you doubled? He was also a fantastic passer who saw the floor as well as anyone. Bird was a tremendous shooter from everywhere, so he demanded that type of attention. Bird had an unreal basketball IQ, which is still even apparent after his career is over. Bird "saw" plays before they developed. Bird was an amazing off-ball player, not just for himself but for his teammates too. Bird rebounded with the best bigs. Bird was physical af and hustled ALL out. Bird displayed top3 GOAT clutch ability, doing it on both ends.
Can you grasp that^ type of impact?

Get real, son.

Larry built a dynasty from the ground-up, revived a franchise/team from day to night with unreal impact from the GET-GO, he displayed a RIDICULOUS level of play for many year, won like a mf'er, did his shit consistently for quite some time, so on... While playing in the most competitive era, most stacked conference.
They were shitty before him, dynasty with him, considerably worse when he was out, shitty again when he left...

warriorfan
12-07-2015, 09:08 PM
Nikka please :rolleyes: You've just said that Curry is a just as good as Bird defensively and that he's a much better offensive player than Larry... Talk about 'not a good look' :facepalm
You're attitude towards Curry is known though, if anyone sucks dick that one is you, son.

There is no way I can tell you that?? :lol Right...........

Ball-handling? Bird was a forward :rolleyes: He could protect the ball pretty well and do his thing on isos and fastbreaks (with terrific footwork), that was easily more than good enough... How about neither being a great athlete but Bird being 6'9? Let's bring that up...

What range? You're acting like Bird wasn't a great shooter and didn't have plenty of range...
Like I've said, Curry's definitely a better 3pt-shooter but Bird didn't play/come up in 3pt-era and he STILL did his thing with the 3pt-shot while making it into a dangerous weapon in his arsenal... Bird was a great 3pt-shooter and inside the 3pt-line though? He's better than Steph.

No :roll: You cannot make an argument for Curry being a better, more impactful defensive player than Bird...

You're known to vastly underrate Steph's teammates (and overrate Curry), so I won't go there... I'll just say this:
Bird was just a terrific scorer from everywhere but you if you doubled? He was also a fantastic passer who saw the floor as well as anyone. Bird was a tremendous shooter from everywhere, so he demanded that type of attention. Bird had an unreal basketball IQ, which is still even apparent after his career is over. Bird "saw" plays before they developed. Bird was an amazing off-ball player, not just for himself but for his teammates too. Bird rebounded with the best bigs. Bird was physical af and hustled ALL out. Bird displayed top3 GOAT clutch ability, doing it on both ends.
Can you grasp that^ type of impact?

Get real, son.

Larry built a dynasty from the ground-up, revived a franchise/team from day to night with unreal impact from the GET-GO, he displayed a RIDICULOUS level of play for many year, won like a mf'er, did his shit consistently for quite some time, so on... While playing in the most competitive era, most stacked conference.
They were shitty before him, dynasty with him, considerably worse when he was out, shitty again when he left...

Him being a great shooter, passer, rebounder, all around player still doesn't make up for the two facts that.

He was no where near the ball handler that Steph Curry was.

He had no where near the range Steph Curry has. ESPECIALLY while handling the live dribble.

These are the two factors that make Steph Curry a game breaker and lets him do the things he does.

Steph Curry opens up the entire offense in ways that Larry Bird could never dream of. Larry Bird isn't bringing the ball up the court and then demanding double team attention from near 30 feet out of the basket, forcing the team to play 4 on 3 with the entire half court behind them. Show me one Finals where Larry Bird is having that sort of effect warping defenses to that extreme. You can't, because he never did.

Larry Bird might be a better all around player than Steph Curry, but he does not have the Offensive Impact that Steph Curry has. Steph Curry's offensive impact may exceed Larry Bird's so much that it overcomes the difference between the two defensively.

Many people in the basketball world share these sentiments. This is not the minority view on the issue here...

TomBrady
12-07-2015, 09:32 PM
Bird doesn't have the same ball handling skills because he's not a point guard or your mother.

TheBigVeto
12-07-2015, 09:43 PM

Bird never got a free pass on anything because of his skin color dawg.

KevinNYC
12-07-2015, 10:06 PM
Steph Curry's offensive impact may exceed Larry Bird's so much that it overcomes the difference between the two defensively.

And here's where the argument crashes into the rocks.

comerb
12-08-2015, 02:18 AM

Um, no. He wasn't. He was a good team defender, a rather mediocre mn defender... And and absolutely nowhere near "great". In truth, McHale (who was a great defender) was one of the primary reasons Bird wasn't exploited more

comerb
12-08-2015, 02:18 AM

Um, no. He wasn't. He was a good team defender, a rather mediocre man defender...but absolutely nowhere near "great". In truth, McHale (who was a great defender) was one of the primary reasons Bird wasn't exploited more

juju151111
12-08-2015, 02:53 AM
Lmao at Bird being a great defender. He was a great team defender. He got burned alot because of his slow lateral quickness. He was good post defender tho. Also last year and this year Curry been playing good defense especially last year when he wasn't scoring has much.

SHAQisGOAT
12-08-2015, 03:39 AM
Mf'er who CLEARLY have never seen Bird play talking about (or rather hating) his defense :oldlol:

Show us some examples of what you claim though... Back up them arguments or something :rolleyes:

SyRyanYang
12-08-2015, 04:11 AM
I've been following Bird since his Indiana State days. Curry reminds me everything Bird was defensively: competitive, smart, good at anticipation, great rebounder at their respective position, great at intercepting passing lane, etc. And yeah, both struggle against quick and explosive opponents,

Round Mound
12-08-2015, 05:25 AM
The overrating of Curry is just laughable :roll: :facepalm :rolleyes: . Comparing him to one of THEE BEST ALL AROUND PLAYERS EVER is almost insulting. Only things Curry is better is 1-Three-Point Shooting and 2-Ballhandling (cause he is a guard). THATS IT.

*Suggest people watch more Bird videos and learn how good he was.

feyki
12-08-2015, 10:40 AM
Um, no. He wasn't. He was a good team defender, a rather mediocre man defender...but absolutely nowhere near "great". In truth, McHale (who was a great defender) was one of the primary reasons Bird wasn't exploited more

Pure ignorance .

Ca$H
12-08-2015, 11:13 AM
I would love to see Bird guard LeBron, Durant, and Paul George. :roll:
I think Bird got overrated because he is white.

feyki
12-08-2015, 11:24 AM
I think Bird got underrated because he is white.

KevinNYC
12-08-2015, 11:56 AM
He was a great team defender and a fantastic off the ball defender. Moreover the things he was great at were things that McHale couldn't do. They had different styles as defenders. It was not like you put McHale where Bird was and you got the same or better impact. You simply didn't.

He was second team all NBA defense three years in a row from 82-84.

Here's a comment I bring up every time someone comments who only saw old Bird as a defender
Here's what Coach Hubie Brown said after his Knicks lost game 2 of the 1984 ECSF to Boston 116 to 102. Bird went hit 16 of 22 and scored 37 points, but after the game Hubie Brown singled out his defense. (Bird had 4 steals in the game.)

"The entire Boston team played great defense, but the one man the purists noticed was Bird. He's the real key to their defense. Bird reminded us tonight of a middle line-backer the way he roamed around out there. His ability to clog the lane, double team and strip the ball were the keys to their defense."

KevinNYC
12-08-2015, 12:13 PM
*Suggest people watch more Bird videos and learn how good he was.
Well in the game you just posted, Bird had four steals in that playoff game.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=391767

KevinNYC
12-08-2015, 12:15 PM
Curry is doing something extraordinary this season. We shall see if it lasts.

Replay32
12-08-2015, 01:15 PM