PDA

View Full Version : Mark Price in todays game?

90sgoat
12-10-2015, 04:13 PM
Here is Mark Price crossing over the King of Crossovers in Allen Iverson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjv2EEg2-gc

Here is Steve Kerr talking about Price:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sua9u318wGo

Price had a string of seasons in the early 90s were he basically averaged 20-10 on 50-45-90.

What is his average today?

SHAQisGOAT
12-10-2015, 04:26 PM
Dude like Mark Price would've beasted in this league... Something like a more athletic Steve Nash, with better defense and physicality, not quite as good as a passer and at running an offense (still great at those things) but on the same level as a shooter and with better finishing capabilities...
Price splitting p&r's and going inside, showing tremendous shooting, great handles and very high IQ, with today's spacing and without anybody being able to lay a finger on him? :eek: Goddamn...

Players like Price or...
Pete Maravich
Dale Ellis
Larry Bird
Fred Brown
Tom Chambers
Jerry Lucas
... would've been MUCH "better suited" to today's game.

Can't really tell exactly what his averages would've been but, imo, something like 20+ PPG and 8+ APG (I see him shooting/scoring more nowadays) on something like .630 TS% (over 40% from 3 and over 90% from FT)... At his ABSOLUTE best.

Anyways, most important thing is the fact that he was only once all-nba 1st and never made the top5 in MVP voting, back in the day... And he, most likely, would've "exceeded" that if he played in today's league... Making him less underrated/overlooked and definitely a considerably better ranked all-time player.
Plus, with less physicality delivered and with more advanced medicine, his career/prime would've most likely also lasted much more.

Smoke117
12-10-2015, 04:28 PM
He'd definitely be better as his game fits this era so well. Pretty much all 90s perimeter stars would be better though. The shooters have more freedom and room to shoot and the slashers have less physicality to deal with off the dribble and at the rim. (and if they do get touched...ft trip)

RedBlackAttack
12-10-2015, 04:35 PM
Price's game was a perfect match for today's game. Hard to predict what his statistics would have looked like, because a lot of that has to do with your teammates and what a team needs you to do. But, he'd be one of the best shooters in the league with insanely high basketball IQ, court vision and a fierce competitor.

He could probably average either 25 efficient points or 10+ assists depending upon what his team needed.

http://rs1146.pbsrc.com/albums/o524/aloncho11/price.gif

http://45.media.tumblr.com/8275685399870e0199c8017eae270e70/tumblr_mvwynwmoYP1sdydefo1_400.gif

90sgoat
12-10-2015, 04:37 PM
He'd definitely be better as his game fits this era so well. Pretty much all 90s perimeter stars would be better though. The shooters have more freedom and room to shoot and the slashers have less physicality to deal with off the dribble and at the rim. (and if they do get touched...ft trip)

Is he better than Steve Nash?

I honestly think it is hard to say. They have very similar basic games, but Nash is more pick and roll/pop and Price is more pick and roll/drive.

Besides that both have godly shooting percentages. Passing I would say is basically equal edge Nash. Defense edge Price.

Could Price have been MVP?

RedBlackAttack
12-10-2015, 04:43 PM

I honestly think it is hard to say. They have very similar basic games, but Nash is more pick and roll/pop and Price is more pick and roll/drive.

Besides that both have godly shooting percentages. Passing I would say is basically equal edge Nash. Defense edge Price.

Price was a much more conventional PG than Steve Nash. Nash had perfected a style of organized confusion, where he'd push the tempo so incredibly fast but still be able to maintain control.

The biggest thing they have in common is the shooting.

Price would fit seamlessly into any offense. He could be equally as devastating in the half court as in transition... maybe moreso.

FKAri
12-10-2015, 04:44 PM

No. He wouldn't have turned a franchise around like Nash did. But he honestly could've been a better player than Nash in today's league. Key word could. I'm not sure how it actually plays out. One thing is for sure tho. He would be better now than he was in his day because the game fits him to a T.

90sgoat
12-10-2015, 04:46 PM
I admit Mark Price was not often featured in the few games we got here in Europa in the early 90s, so let me ask:

Why was Price not considered really top tier?

Was it just a case of bad team, no TV coverage like with Richmond?

Just too many other better: Hardaway, Stockton, KJ, Magic?

brain drain
12-10-2015, 04:47 PM

Nash walked into the absolute best situation to showcase his talents in Phoenix (perfect pieces around him, lack of prior success, perfect coach / system for his style).

I don't really think his MVPs would have happened on any other team .

For that reason alone, I'd say it's very unlikely.

RedBlackAttack
12-10-2015, 05:00 PM
I admit Mark Price was not often featured in the few games we got here in Europa in the early 90s, so let me ask:

He was considered a top tier PG and he was on some really good Cavs teams. In his prime, he was leading the Cavs to 55+ wins.

Tim Hardaway was flashier, but not as good imho. And, I don't remember anyone putting Hardaway on a tier above Price.

The others you listed all either won championships or made it to the Finals. So, that's probably why they were better known internationally.

3ball
12-10-2015, 05:09 PM
most guards and wings from previous eras would be better today, because the game has been designed to optimally suit guard-play (3-point shooting and spacing, no hand-check, defensive 3 seconds/open lane).

this is how we know the Bulls would dominate even more today - they dominated with guard play in an era designed for big men (weak 3-point shooting and no spacing, forcing teams to rely on bigs grinding in the paint).

but in today's 3-point shooting/maximum spacing era, the Bulls strength at the guard/wing spot would be magnified...

spacing magnifies a guard's advantage (assuming they had an advantage, which Price did).

DrakeTheSnake
12-10-2015, 05:18 PM
Price's game would fit very well in today's game. Potential to be the 3rd best current PG behind Curry and Westbrook.

bizil
12-10-2015, 05:24 PM
When it comes to shooting, handles, and dimes as a package at the PG spot, I have Price the third best of all time. Only behind Curry and Nash. So in today's game, no doubt he would be an All Star. And a top 10 PG in this Golden Era of PG's. I think he would be in the top 7 somewhere along with Steph, Westbrook, CP3, Wall, Lillard, and Irving.

feyki
12-10-2015, 05:34 PM
Kyle Lowry .

SHAQisGOAT
12-10-2015, 05:38 PM
When it comes to shooting, handles, and dimes as a package at the PG spot, I have Price the third best of all time. Only behind Curry and Nash. So in today's game, no doubt he would be an All Star. And a top 10 PG in this Golden Era of PG's. I think he would be in the top 7 somewhere along with Steph, Westbrook, CP3, Wall, Lillard, and Irving.

I think that peak Price in today's league would've been at least a top4 PG alongside Steph, Westbrook and CP3.

bdreason
12-10-2015, 05:47 PM

Price was considered top tier... but even when the Cavs were good they weren't getting national hype. The media coverage wasn't nearly as extensive as it is now for small market teams.

bizil
12-10-2015, 08:40 PM
I think that peak Price in today's league would've been at least a top4 PG alongside Steph, Westbrook and CP3.

For sure! I could definitely envision Price as a top 4 PG in the today's game! His skillset and past production prove that out.

Straight_Ballin
12-10-2015, 08:43 PM

This.

I saw Price play live many times. He would be right up there with these guys in today's game.

Round Mound
12-10-2015, 09:09 PM
All Star Level PG

Fire Colangelo
12-10-2015, 09:17 PM
Price only had I think 5 years of prime years in which he was really good.

He'd be up there with the best PG's of the league just a little below the Curry/Westbrook/CP3's of the league, but a little higher than John Wall/Lowry/etc.