PDA

View Full Version : What does Jazz need to go deep in playoffs?

90sgoat
12-12-2015, 11:43 AM
I really like this young Jazz team, play great team ball, hustle and their bigs (particularly Booker) are OLD SCHOOL.

The Jazz has Gordon Hayward, the true Great White Hope, and they have 3 hard hitting old school bigs in Booker, Favors, Gobert.

All they need is to upgrade on their guard spots. Just adding a vet shooting guard would be great, Afflalo would have made a big difference.

Jazz are not far away from making a good playoff push, all their players are young and seem like they got their head on right, it was great hearing Favors talk about the system last night, shows they buy into it.

I still think Hayward should get more plays, particularly in the 4th, but I guess that's the system they run.

keep-itreal
12-12-2015, 11:46 AM
they need Kevin Durant on this team

90sgoat
12-12-2015, 11:53 AM
they need Kevin Durant on this team

They already have Hayward and they play the same position.

24-Inch_Chrome
12-12-2015, 11:54 AM
I feel like Jimmy Butler would be perfect for that team though that's obviously not a possibility.

PacerRaptor
12-12-2015, 12:14 PM
They need a better team

tragicbronson
12-12-2015, 12:16 PM
All star PG

90sgoat
12-12-2015, 12:18 PM
All star PG

Who realistically?

zeerghit
12-12-2015, 12:26 PM
Who realistically?
schroder

JimmyMcAdocious
12-12-2015, 12:37 PM
They need to stop drafting PGs in the top 10 who aren't starting material. How can you do that in b2b years?

Even last year's pick. I don't know how good Lyles is, but that was probably the most stacked position on their team.

imdaman99
12-12-2015, 12:56 PM
They need a good PG. I was wrong about Trey Burke, he is not a starter. He is a decent enough backup. But the guy they currently have starting is not exactly some stud himself.

OP, why ask what they need to go deep in the playoffs? How about first get to the playoffs, than they can worry about going deep. They have good young players, the pieces are there as long as Gobert stays injury free. Hayward and Favors are nice pieces. Are either of them superstar potential?

Nick Young
12-12-2015, 01:00 PM
What do the Jazz need

Nick Young
12-12-2015, 01:01 PM
Who realistically?
Mike Conley

KG215
12-12-2015, 01:16 PM
They already have Hayward and they play the same position.
Good point. I'm sure if Durant informed the Jazz he was seriously interested in playing for them they'd just be like, "that's great, but we're good, we've already got Gordon Hayward."

Oh, and of course they could just slide Hayward over to SG.

90sgoat
12-12-2015, 01:17 PM
They need a good PG. I was wrong about Trey Burke, he is not a starter. He is a decent enough backup. But the guy they currently have starting is not exactly some stud himself.

OP, why ask what they need to go deep in the playoffs? How about first get to the playoffs, than they can worry about going deep. They have good young players, the pieces are there as long as Gobert stays injury free. Hayward and Favors are nice pieces. Are either of them superstar potential?

I haven't watched Burke enough to make a call, but yes he seems more fit for a rotation role off the bench.

As for Favors and Hayward being superstar that's tough to call. I think Hayward could put up better stats in a different system, he is very efficient and plays good defense. Imo he should be able to score 22-24 at least. Favors is not superstar but very reliable and again plays great D.

Bricklayer
12-12-2015, 01:29 PM
Good point. I'm sure if Durant informed the Jazz he was seriously interested in playing for them they'd just be like, "that's great, but we're good, we've already got Gordon Hayward."

Oh, and of course they could just slide Hayward over to SG.

Yup. That's exactly what they'd do. Hayward even has better numbers when he plays the 2.

I've always thought this Jazz roster, as currently constructed, is a great supporting cast. They're still missing a superstar to lead them. And Durant would be the kind of guy they need. The Jazz need outside shooting and someone who can close games. They already have a solid defense (when fully healthy) that can make up for any shortcomings Durant might have on that end. Heck, I think they could bring in Melo and disguise his weaknesses enough to allow Melo to give them the offensive security they need.

Paul George would be another good fit, too.

dhsilv
12-12-2015, 01:44 PM
They need to stop drafting PGs in the top 10 who aren't starting material. How can you do that in b2b years?

Even last year's pick. I don't know how good Lyles is, but that was probably the most stacked position on their team.

Lottery picks should NEVER be drafted based on need....

90sgoat
12-12-2015, 01:53 PM
Yup. That's exactly what they'd do. Hayward even has better numbers when he plays the 2.

I've always thought this Jazz roster, as currently constructed, is a great supporting cast. They're still missing a superstar to lead them. And Durant would be the kind of guy they need. The Jazz need outside shooting and someone who can close games. They already have a solid defense (when fully healthy) that can make up for any shortcomings Durant might have on that end. Heck, I think they could bring in Melo and disguise his weaknesses enough to allow Melo to give them the offensive security they need.

Paul George would be another good fit, too.

What makes you think either of those guys want to move to Utah?

George for sure wants to play in a big market if he moves and I guess the same with Durant.

Hayward, Booker, Favors, they all seem to be more down to earth, not bout that life players, just the kind of players Utah have pursued for the last 30 years.

Bricklayer
12-12-2015, 02:06 PM
What makes you think either of those guys want to move to Utah?

George for sure wants to play in a big market if he moves and I guess the same with Durant.

Hayward, Booker, Favors, they all seem to be more down to earth, not bout that life players, just the kind of players Utah have pursued for the last 30 years.

OP asked what they need. Not whether players would actually want to come to Utah. This is a message board where most of what we say is hypothetical conjecturing, anyway.

That said, Durant has shown he doesn't mind the small market lifestyle of OKC. I think he'd be more likely to be in a Jazz uniform than someone like LeBron or Melo. It seems a lot of stars who haven't won a ring are more open to signing with a winning team (like the Spurs) rather than a big market team.

Here's another question, though: If Durant decides he'll never get a ring in OKC and wants to join someone else, would he be more likely to sign with a stacked team (Clippers, Warriors, etc.) where he would presumably play a smaller role for the greater good, or would he prefer to be the man with a strong supporting cast and lead them to a title?

Xiao Yao You
12-12-2015, 02:20 PM
I really like this young Jazz team, play great team ball, hustle and their bigs (particularly Booker) are OLD SCHOOL.

The Jazz has Gordon Hayward, the true Great White Hope, and they have 3 hard hitting old school bigs in Booker, Favors, Gobert.

All they need is to upgrade on their guard spots. Just adding a vet shooting guard would be great, Afflalo would have made a big difference.

Jazz are not far away from making a good playoff push, all their players are young and seem like they got their head on right, it was great hearing Favors talk about the system last night, shows they buy into it.

I still think Hayward should get more plays, particularly in the 4th, but I guess that's the system they run.

Need Gobert. Without him they are a lottery team. With him no one will want to play them in the playoffs. I think they could definitely make it to the 2nd round. They were ready to make their push for home court in the first round before Rudy went down. Now they got to stay close until he gets back.

It's where they are weakest actually. Booker hasn't been able to make a lay-up for some reason. Withey is good but has played behind Lyles who will be good and is getting better every game but should be in the D-league right now. Need to replace Pleiss on the roster.

Mike Conley

One of Snyder's favorite players. He's someone I could see them going after actually.

I think they could bring in Melo and disguise his weaknesses enough to allow Melo to give them the offensive security they need.

no thanks! :facepalm

90sgoat
12-12-2015, 02:32 PM
OP asked what they need. Not whether players would actually want to come to Utah. This is a message board where most of what we say is hypothetical conjecturing, anyway.

That said, Durant has shown he doesn't mind the small market lifestyle of OKC. I think he'd be more likely to be in a Jazz uniform than someone like LeBron or Melo. It seems a lot of stars who haven't won a ring are more open to signing with a winning team (like the Spurs) rather than a big market team.

Here's another question, though: If Durant decides he'll never get a ring in OKC and wants to join someone else, would he be more likely to sign with a stacked team (Clippers, Warriors, etc.) where he would presumably play a smaller role for the greater good, or would he prefer to be the man with a strong supporting cast and lead them to a title?

Ok speculating, then yes, add Durant and he has a team pretty much perfect for his style of play, good defenders all around and high bb iq players in Hayward and others.

I also think Hayward has shown he could would be ok playing the John Stockton to Karl Malone, which isn't 1a/1b but more than Batman-Robin.

It's possible I guess, a better fit than Wizards who have a ball dominant point guard.

WayOfWade
12-12-2015, 02:48 PM
Realistically, all they need is about two years time. Hayward is 24, Favors is 23, Gobert is 23, Burks is 24, Exum is 20 (I think), Hood is 23. All these core guys are super young, and since the Jazz have cap space they'll be able to keep all of them for at least a few more years. Just imagine how much more chemistry they'll have and how much better every player will be. People here are saying they need a superstar, but lesbhihonest they're never going to sign one. They are going to go for a more Memphis Grizzlies/04' Pistons type team with a bunch of great players and a lot of depth. And for those who say they need a PG, we're hoping Exum is that guy. He's already there defensively, all he needs is to develope a decent offensive game and we are set, he also needs to rehab correctly from his ACL.
If you're talking about this season to make a good playoff push, they are going to need health, especially with Gobert. We all witnessed what happened last season when Gobert started for the Jazz and the team completely turned it around, he's that important. With him out that'll hurt the Jazz' chances this year to get to the 2nd round, or even the playoffs depending on how the rest of the team reacts and plays.

Xiao Yao You
12-12-2015, 03:35 PM
Realistically, all they need is about two years time. Hayward is 24, Favors is 23, Gobert is 23, Burks is 24, Exum is 20 (I think), Hood is 23. All these core guys are super young, and since the Jazz have cap space they'll be able to keep all of them for at least a few more years.

Hayward can opt out after next year and Gobert should get the 5 year max. After that it could be hard to keep all of them together.

could bJust imagine how much more chemistry they'll have and how much better every player will be. People here are saying they need a superstar, but lesbhihonest they're never going to sign one. They are going to go for a more Memphis Grizzlies/04' Pistons type team with a bunch of great players and a lot of depth. And for those who say they need a PG, we're hoping Exum is that guy. He's already there defensively, all he needs is to develope a decent offensive game and we are set, he also needs to rehab correctly from his ACL.

Who knows if he'll ever defend the way he did after the acl surgery. Even if he does he has a long ways to go at the other end of the floor.

If you're talking about this season to make a good playoff push, they are going to need health, especially with Gobert. We all witnessed what happened last season when Gobert started for the Jazz and the team completely turned it around, he's that important. With him out that'll hurt the Jazz' chances this year to get to the 2nd round, or even the playoffs depending on how the rest of the team reacts and plays.

Gobert is certainly the key and the guy you build around right now.

JimmyMcAdocious
12-12-2015, 03:39 PM
Lottery picks should NEVER be drafted based on need....

If you're referring the Lyles comment, I disagree. Late lottery where the talent seemed pretty damn even from that pick, or a little earlier, to ~20. Unless someone stands out (which then the talent isn't even...), I would go with need at that stage of the draft.

qrich
12-12-2015, 04:31 PM
A point.