PDA

View Full Version : Are We Living in the Universe Where The Warriors Go 82-0? Mathematically, Maybe...

Foster5k
12-12-2015, 04:40 PM
If inflation theory is correct(basically what happened after the big bang and the creation of the known universe), then space could be infinite. If space is infinite, it has been theorized that there would be an infinite amount of Earths and an infinite amount of people identical to you and I. Basically, everyone would have an infinite amount of clones on an infinite amount of Earths.

What does that have to do with the Warriors?

Well, it would mean that there are an infinite amount of teams named the Warriors with an infinite amount of players identical to the Warriors players, coaches, etc.

Now, the odds of a team going 82-0 are insanely small. It's like the Warriors have almost a 0% chance, but it's not actually zero. We know it's possible. How? Well, because it's not breaking any laws of physics. It's not physically impossible for the Warriors to go 82-0.

That being said, the chances of them going 82-0 are somewhere in the range of 0.0000000123....%. That's a super small chance.

However, physicist have stated that as long as something doesn't break the laws of physics, and if we live in an infinite universe(if inflation theory is correct), anything that can happen, will happen.

If the Warriors played 82 games an infinite amount of times, sooner or later they would go 82-0. Sooner or later they would hit that magical % of 0.0000000123....%.

So, that is the math folks.

We could be living in the universe that the Warriors do something that almost seems impossible. :D

Marchesk
12-12-2015, 04:45 PM
Kobe might shoot above 45% in one of those universes. :biggums:

Marchesk
12-12-2015, 04:46 PM
But if you really want to think deeply about it, there are universe where Wilt time travels to today. How so? Because if enough atoms bumping around rearranged themselves just right, you'd have prime Wilt waiting in the draft. 76er tank job would pay off in that universe.

SouBeachTalents
12-12-2015, 04:52 PM

And Wilt might average 20 ppg in the Finals

Foster5k
12-12-2015, 04:54 PM
But if you really want to think deeply about it, there are universe where Wilt time travels to today. How so? Because if enough atoms bumping around rearranged themselves just right, you'd have prime Wilt waiting in the draft. 76er tank job would pay off in that universe.
:oldlol:

It sounds crazy, but yes that actually could happen.

In that universe, the Sixers slogan to trust the process would be deemed correct.

Infinity is strange. It's like Kevin Garnett was right along when he yelled, "Anything is possible."

Maybe somehow, he knew subconsciously that there are an infinite amount of Kevin Garnetts on an infinite amount of Earths doing an infinite amount of incredible things that seem impossible.

FKAri
12-12-2015, 04:58 PM
Inflation theory does not require the universe to be infinite. Only eternal inflation would require that. How can someone on ISH get this wrong?

Marchesk
12-12-2015, 05:02 PM
Maybe somehow, he knew subconsciously that there are an infinite amount of Kevin Garnetts on an infinite amount of Earths doing an infinite amount of incredible things that seem impossible.

There could be an infinite number of me's ruling this little rock. There could be Earths were Jeff upgrades the servers. There might even be ones where Wilt's 100 point game was somehow captured in ultra HD (maybe technological development happened a little faster there).

Maybe the Walking Dead is a reality somewhere. Maybe every time I go up to a wall, my molecules arrange themselves just right by chance, and I walk through. I could be a superhero in that world.

Marchesk
12-12-2015, 05:05 PM
Inflation theory does not require the universe to be infinite. Only eternal inflation would require that. How can someone on ISH get this wrong?

So you're saying that I don't rule an infinite numbers of Earths?

fragokota
12-12-2015, 05:07 PM
76ers winning all 82 isn't breaking any laws of physics either.They are physically able afterall. Do you really think that an identical 76ers team somewhere in the universe is winning 82 games? :coleman:

Marchesk
12-12-2015, 05:09 PM
76ers winning all 82 isn't breaking any laws of physics either.They are physically able afterall. Do you really think that an identical 76ers team somewhere in the universe is winning 82 games? :coleman:

Maybe every team they play has their worst games of the season, and the 76ers have their best? It's all on nights for them and off nights for their opponents.

Not sure if that's enough doe.

Foster5k
12-12-2015, 05:11 PM
:facepalm

"By now, a very large class of inflation models have been analyzed in detail by researchers around the globe, and it's been found that almost all of them lead to eternal inflation."

So, yeah, you might want to go do some more research on inflation before you try to debunk something you don't know about.

knickballer
12-12-2015, 05:12 PM
What if you simmed a million different franchise seasons in NBA 2k16 with the Warriors, do you think eventually you'll get one finish of 82-0?

I actually don't tbh.

FKAri
12-12-2015, 05:15 PM
:facepalm

So, yeah, you might want to go do some more research on inflation before you try to debunk something you don't know about.

You're assuming that phrases like "very large" and "almost all" are absolutes and then turn around and talk about the significance of infinitesimal probabilities? :lol

Marchesk
12-12-2015, 05:18 PM
If you flip a coin an infinite number of times in an eternal inflating cosmos, is there a non-zero probability that it will always land on heads?

Marchesk
12-12-2015, 05:22 PM
Or since this is a basketball forum, is there a universe in the eternal inflating model where Curry never misses another three?

Foster5k
12-12-2015, 05:23 PM
Or since this is a basketball forum, is there a universe in the eternal inflating model where Curry never misses another three?
Yes. Actually, if the universe is infinite, there is a universe where Curry averages 100% from 3.

As Kevin Garnett once said, "Anything is possible!!!!!!!!!!!"

Marchesk
12-12-2015, 05:25 PM
Yes.

"And with that, Curry has just hit his 250th three in a row, with all five defenders draped on him, at half court. And that is official, folks. Steph Curry is not human."

fragokota
12-12-2015, 05:26 PM
If you flip a coin an infinite number of times in an eternal inflating cosmos, is there a non-zero probability that it will always land on heads?

If it's infinite number of times, i don't see how it can be anything but zero.

Marchesk
12-12-2015, 05:26 PM
If it's infinite number of times, i don't see how it can be anything but zero.

So I thought as well, but go ask that question on a philosophy or math forum, and you will get told otherwise.

Marchesk
12-12-2015, 05:29 PM
Yes. Actually, if the universe is infinite, there is a universe where Curry averages 100% from 3.

It makes you wonder about the laws of physics though. Maybe what we think are laws are just probabilities with things looking like laws in our universe. Maybe matter doesn't attract in some, and maybe the speed of light is not the same, and so on.

Maybe we're just cataloging random patterns that look law-like, because statistically, there is non-zero chance of our kind of universe popping up.

Foster5k
12-12-2015, 05:30 PM
So I thought as well, but go ask that question on a philosophy or math forum, and you will get told otherwise.
That's why I stay away from those types of forums. It's best just to read the books by the leading guys in whatever field. Most of the stuff on those forums aren't going to help you learn anything. It's basically a cesspool of what ifs without any concrete mathematics behind it.

FKAri
12-12-2015, 05:30 PM

This is actually a deep question. The short answer to your question is yes but the long answer is almost surely (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almost_surely).

Marchesk
12-12-2015, 05:31 PM
This is actually a deep question. The short answer to your question is yes but the long answer isn't yes.

I want the long answer then.

Marchesk
12-12-2015, 05:32 PM
It's basically a cesspool of what ifs without any concrete mathematics behind it.

Is that like going to a basketball forum and asking if Kobe belongs in the top 10 all-time?

fragokota
12-12-2015, 05:36 PM
This is actually a deep question. The short answer to your question is yes but the long answer is almost surely (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almost_surely).

I would also like to hear if you could explain.

Foster5k
12-12-2015, 05:37 PM
It makes you wonder about the laws of physics though. Maybe what we think are laws are just probabilities with things looking like laws in our universe.
I agree. Especially, after I read this...

"When I was in high school, I was incorrectly taught that these laws(laws of physics) and constants were always valid, and never changed either from place to place or from time to time. Why this mistake? Because an enormous amount of energy--much more than we have at our disposal--is required to change the settings of these laws, so we didn't realize that the settings could be changed. Nor that there even were any settings to change"

Marchesk
12-12-2015, 05:39 PM
"When I was in high school, I was incorrectly taught that these laws(laws of physics) and constants were always valid, and never changed either from place to place or from time to time. Why this mistake? Because an enormous amount of energy--much more than we have at our disposal--is required to change the settings of these laws, so we didn't realize that the settings could be changed. Nor that there even were any settings to change"

Interesting. So maybe very advanced aliens could muck around with the settings, but we're stuck with the way things are, for now.

There's also David Hume's point about causality and how we never observe it, just constant conjunction. We say there are laws because of constant conjunction, or at least in the energy ranges we observe.

tmacattack33
12-12-2015, 05:40 PM

:roll:

Foster5k
12-12-2015, 05:49 PM
Interesting. So maybe very advanced aliens could muck around with the settings, but we're stuck with the way things are, for now.

There's also David Hume's point about causality and how we never observe it, just constant conjunction. We say there are laws because of constant conjunction, or at least in the energy ranges we observe.
I need to read up on that. I haven't touched a physics book in a long time. I usually start reading that stuff when I'm extremely bored. It's something that always makes you think because everything is still pretty much unknown.

It's like current computers. It's been theorized that quantum computers could be invented. However, as of yet, we still have no idea how to make one. We know so much, yet we don't know anything.

Right now, from everything I've read, scientist are more lost than ever.

FKAri
12-12-2015, 05:54 PM
I would also like to hear if you could explain.

See the link in that post. Simplest way to put it is because it is a valid infinite sequence, it can happen even if the probability equals 0. Surely =/= almost surely. Though in most scenarios they can be considered the same thing.

Also see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_large_numbers

Sarcastic
12-13-2015, 01:36 AM
No we're not.