PDA

View Full Version : Why are Miami so bad offensively?

TrueBlue89
12-13-2015, 08:07 PM
They have one of the best defenses in the League but they're one of the worst offensive teams in the League. They're currently 2nd to last in points scored just ahead of Philly and only 20th in offensive efficiency.

A team with a roster as rounded as theirs should be performing better. I genuinely thought they'd be the East's equivalent of the Spurs this year. A team with Wade, Bosh, Whiteside, Dragic, Green, Johnson & Winslow should be performing much better scoring wise.

1987_Lakers
12-13-2015, 08:08 PM
No more LeBron

JohnFreeman
12-13-2015, 08:10 PM
Dragic + Birdman for Melo on January 17th

bookmark this

TrueBlue89
12-13-2015, 08:12 PM
Dragic + Birdman for Melo on January 17th

bookmark this

WTF why would the Knicks ever make that trade? :lol

lilteapot
12-13-2015, 08:17 PM
WTF why would the Knicks ever make that trade? :lol
WTF why would the Heat ever make that trade? :lol

Thunderfan86
12-13-2015, 08:20 PM
"Why is" sounds so much better

Marchesk
12-13-2015, 08:21 PM
Where's Theo at these days?

WayOfWade
12-13-2015, 08:22 PM
Because Dwyane Wade is no longer 28 years old

WadeStan
12-13-2015, 08:22 PM
Poor system. Coach who refuses to evolve. Lack of 3 pt shooting.

Heavincent
12-13-2015, 08:23 PM
Poor spacing.

Real Men Wear Green
12-13-2015, 08:23 PM
The main thing that makes them look better than they really are is having Dragic and Wade. They don't compliment each other as they are both penetrating ballhandlers that don't shoot well from distance. They need more shooting for better spacing.

AirBonner
12-13-2015, 08:26 PM
Poor system. Coach who refuses to evolve. Lack of 3 pt shooting.
This. Brad Stevens would turn them into a title contender

JimmyMcAdocious
12-13-2015, 08:35 PM
"Why is" sounds so much better

I think the use of Miami in OP's title is as a collective noun, so it should be is. Whatever tho

keep-itreal
12-13-2015, 09:04 PM
Spoelstra = asian Scott Brooks

EricGordon23
12-13-2015, 09:08 PM
Dragic is having a shit year so that doesn't help too much.

HylianNightmare
12-13-2015, 09:26 PM
Spobot

DoctorP
12-13-2015, 09:29 PM
they cant shoot

LongLiveTheKing
12-13-2015, 09:31 PM
They need shooters

GoatBoy
12-13-2015, 09:33 PM
The main thing that makes them look better than they really are is having Dragic and Wade. They don't compliment each other as they are both penetrating ballhandlers that don't shoot well from distance. They need more shooting for better spacing.
Where'd Dragic's shot go from when he was shooting like a mini Nash in Phx?

BasedTom
12-13-2015, 09:43 PM
this team needs tyler johnson lol

Lebronxrings
12-13-2015, 09:55 PM
wade just holds the ball and passes it up with 4 on the shot clock.

CarlosBoozer
12-13-2015, 10:15 PM
No shooters
Drag playing bad
Spo needs a system for wade + bosh

Fudge
12-13-2015, 10:16 PM
Dragic is shit, period.

Overrated piece of shit that got overpaid.

Trollsmasher
12-13-2015, 10:25 PM
spoelstra never had any kind of offensive system

he is not capable of devising anything and is the worst out of the timeout coach in the league

GrapeApe
12-13-2015, 10:36 PM
The lack of 3 point shooters is an issue, but in their recent struggles it's really been the turnovers. Dragic has been inconsistent and hasn't been knocking down open shots. I don't feel like getting into Spo's deficiencies because they are well documented. He has no offensive ingenuity whatsoever.

JerrySteakhouse
12-13-2015, 11:08 PM
Cause we don't have Chalmers anymore... :cry:

Prime_Shaq
12-13-2015, 11:10 PM
Lack of 3 point shooters

GrapeApe
12-13-2015, 11:23 PM
Cause we don't have Chalmers anymore... :cry:

Yeah, they really miss his bonehead turnovers, poor shot selection, and inconsistent shooting.

J/K. Rio got a lot of shit from fans and teammates, but he was fearless and he came up big in some key situations during the Heat's championship runs. Yes he could be a bonehead sometimes, but he was OUR bonehead. It was tough to see him leave.

LAKingKobe
12-13-2015, 11:39 PM
No bron to be the alpha

Real Men Wear Green
12-13-2015, 11:44 PM
Where'd Dragic's shot go from when he was shooting like a mini Nash in Phx?
:confusedshrug:
He wasn't that good at it, though.

G-train
12-13-2015, 11:51 PM
No shooters
Drag playing bad
Spo needs a system for wade + bosh

No they need to emphasis Dragic and Bosh.
Then Whiteside.

Wade should be playing 20-25 mpg off the bench, but they don't have the cajones to do it. He is the reason Dragic is having a bad season.

GrapeApe
12-14-2015, 12:21 AM
Then Whiteside.

Wade should be playing 20-25 mpg off the bench, but they don't have the cajones to do it. He is the reason Dragic is having a bad season.

Wait, Whiteside should be ahead of Wade in the offensive pecking order? Is this real life? First of all, that's ridiculous beyond comprehension. Second of all, Wade IS Whiteside's offense for the most part.

The last sentence you wrote is cringeworthy.

The only thing I agree with that you may be alluding to is Wade needs to be playing more off the ball. The problem is he's still the Heat's best passer and playmaker, and he's the only player who can consistently create for himself and others.

Dragic just needs to play better. Period. He's missing open shots, making poor decisions, and turning the ball over with too much regularity. Wade has been guilty of the same things at times, but to blame him for Dragic's poor play is absurd.

G-train
12-14-2015, 01:12 AM
Wait, Whiteside should be ahead of Wade in the offensive pecking order? Is this real life? First of all, that's ridiculous beyond comprehension. Second of all, Wade IS Whiteside's offense for the most part.

The last sentence you wrote is cringeworthy.

The only thing I agree with that you may be alluding to is Wade needs to be playing more off the ball. The problem is he's still the Heat's best passer and playmaker, and he's the only player who can consistently create for himself and others.

Dragic just needs to play better. Period. He's missing open shots, making poor decisions, and turning the ball over with too much regularity. Wade has been guilty of the same things at times, but to blame him for Dragic's poor play is absurd.

Wade's a net negative, his time has come and gone. Dragic, Bosh and Whiteside are the present and future. Well they are quickly losing Whiteside by letting Wade do whatever he wants.
Dragic and Bosh need the ball more, with Wade in a Manu role.

Yes I said Whiteside, they need to run some plays for him to catch on the move or sealed under basket. Other starters being Green and Deng on the wing.

Wade can then play a Crawford role off the bench. He is completely overrated right now. He is a ball stopper and is holding back the team in the overall process.

You cannot expect Dragic to play at near allstar level alongside Wade. Wade is killing the teams chemistry and spacing with his level of minutes, place in the rotation and general attitude.

GrapeApe
12-14-2015, 01:48 AM
Wade's a net negative, his time has come and gone. Dragic, Bosh and Whiteside are the present and future. Well they are quickly losing Whiteside by letting Wade do whatever he wants.
Dragic and Bosh need the ball more, with Wade in a Manu role.

Yes I said Whiteside, they need to run some plays for him to catch on the move or sealed under basket. Other starters being Green and Deng on the wing.

Wade can then play a Crawford role off the bench. He is completely overrated right now. He is a ball stopper and is holding back the team in the overall process.

You cannot expect Dragic to play at near allstar level alongside Wade. Wade is killing the teams chemistry and spacing with his level of minutes, place in the rotation and general attitude.

Look, I don't completely disagree with some of those points, and I'll concede that Dragic and Wade are not an ideal back court fit, but I think you're overrating Dragic's abilities and underrating / undervaluing Wade's intelligence, playmaking, and passing ability. You're also ignoring his elite off-ball play. I understand what you're saying about the future, but Wade is still the Heat's best offensive player. Like I said before, he's the only player we have who can create for himself and others. Dragic struggles to make plays in the half court.

Wade and Whiteside need to be on the court together as much as possible. That is abundantly clear. They have great chemistry and Wade is the only player who can get Whiteside the ball in a position to score. If you want Whiteside to be more involved with the offense, it starts with Wade.

As for Wade being a ball stopper, I'm just not seeing it. He's moving the ball very well and his FGA are down, his 3rd lowest since his rookie year. The spacing issue is and has always been highly overrated in regards to Wade. His gravity is among the highest in the league, meaning he's shadowed off the ball out to the perimeter as if he were a deadly three point shooter. This has been well documented.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree about some of these things, and trust me, if I thought the Heat would be better off with Green starting I'd be all for it. Depending on what moves Riley makes in the off-season, Wade will likely have a reduced role next year and eventually become a 6th man. Right now he's producing at a level that only Jordan and Kobe have produced at in terms of SG's his age (23/6/5/1.5/0.5 per-36, 22 PER). He's playing better than many expected, including myself.

Spaulding
12-14-2015, 04:49 AM
Dragic has been underperforming

Bosh can't step up the offensive production

Dresta
12-14-2015, 05:14 AM
Then Whiteside.

That is really utter bollocks. Wade has saved Miami a number of games this season; Dragic, not so much. In fact, if Dragic could just make a few of the bucket-load of open 3 point shots he has been getting, there'd be more spacing, and the team'd be far better. As it is, Dragic has been putrid in all respects; this has nothing to do with Wade - only a real clown would think such an idiotic thing.

Dragic can't even play with Whiteside - Wade has probably got him over 20 or so lobs already this season. Dragic never seems to find the big guy: even when he's relatively open. Your blame is wholly misplaced here.

RRR3
12-14-2015, 05:20 AM
Yeah, they really miss his bonehead turnovers, poor shot selection, and inconsistent shooting.

J/K. Rio got a lot of shit from fans and teammates, but he was fearless and he came up big in some key situations during the Heat's championship runs. Yes he could be a bonehead sometimes, but he was OUR bonehead. It was tough to see him leave.
Chalmers has been scoring like crazy for Memphis. He's getting to the line at James Harden-like rate (seriously. Look up his stats). We should have kept him :(

**** Moron Tragic

Akrazotile
12-14-2015, 05:27 AM
That is really utter bollocks. Wade has saved Miami a number of games this season; Dragic, not so much. In fact, if Dragic could just make a few of the bucket-load of open 3 point shots he has been getting, there'd be more spacing, and the team'd be far better. As it is, Dragic has been putrid in all respects; this has nothing to do with Wade - only a real clown would think such an idiotic thing.

:oldlol:

Dresta is like a better version of Mathius.

wally_world
12-14-2015, 05:45 AM
No shot creator (except for the 1 in 6 games Wade decide to show up). If they wanna score more they gonna let everything run through Dragic like his Suns day.

Proctor
12-14-2015, 05:46 AM
They have the world's strangest roster where it's a revolving door of missed games. Deng, Johnson, McRoberts, whoever. Then their bench is really anemic. A Darren Collison would benefit the team greatly. I don't see Udrih doing what he did for Memphis for Miami.

Dresta
12-14-2015, 06:04 AM
No shot creator (except for the 1 in 6 games Wade decide to show up). If they wanna score more they gonna let everything run through Dragic like his Suns day.
Yes, lets completely gut and re-orient the team to make it average like Goran's Suns were.

:rolleyes:

The problem with Dragic is that he needs to play with 4 shooters if you are going to 'run everything through him' like in his Suns days. But yeah, let's get rid of Whiteside and Wade to accomodate 'no shot' Dragic. Guy was supposed to improve this team's spacing, yet he's worse than Chalmers in that regard - woeful.

Alan Ogg
12-14-2015, 06:41 AM
Wade and Dragic were playing great last season. This season Dragic is sucking major balls. Spo is not a top tier coach.

L.A. Jazz
12-14-2015, 07:40 AM
they were watching Lebron dribble the ball for 20 seconds over 4 years, they just dont know how to Play otherwise on offense.

i shake my head every time someone on TV says Mario Chalmers played PG for the Miami Heatles.:facepalm

Mass Debator
12-14-2015, 12:54 PM
This offense is somewhat cured if the PG and SF positions can shoot >35% from 3. Bosh being their best 3pt shooter is absurd...well TJ can ball too.

Dragic...when you're a below-average to average half-court playmaker and you aren't a reliable spot-up shooter, you're basically getting paid to play offense like 10 times per game in transition. If he was a defensive beast, I wouldn't mind his offensive stat line...but he's not. Right now, give me Patty Mills, Bayless, Mo Williams, or even Patrick Beverly over him. Good thing is that I think he's playing at his worst so he can only go up from here.

No impact McRoberts. Just trade him for a pay-cutted Joe Johnson somehow.

Alan Ogg
12-14-2015, 01:30 PM
People seem to forget that Dragic played 26 games for the HEAT last year. He played well. 16.6 points per game on 50% shooting. I don't know what happened to him. Don't need him to be an all star, just need him to play like last year.

jrong
12-14-2015, 06:30 PM
People seem to forget that Dragic played 26 games for the HEAT last year. He played well. 16.6 points per game on 50% shooting. I don't know what happened to him. Don't need him to be an all star, just need him to play like last year.

Bosh is back. Last year, Dragic got to make an abundance of plays as the designated second option. Also, ball-dominant players are rhythm players. With fewer touches, he has less opportunity to get into his zone.

However, he's not going to have the ball on a team with Wade. If your choice is between maximizing Wade's game and maximizing that of Dragic (or any other player on the Heat roster), you maximize Wade 82 games a year. So Dragic has to find a way be a factor. Make shots, be efficient and make plays for others.

The bigger issue for me is Whiteside. There has to be a way to keep him on the floor and have him be effective. You can't tell me the game has evolved into small ball so much that a player that talented can only be a part-time role player.

Other things: Wade needs to play better. He's come up clutch in key moments, and he's playing less than 30 minutes a game, but his FG% is his career low and his ppg are his second lowest. Make more shots, score more points, win more games.

And finally, while I don't think Spoelstra is a bad coach, I do think the Heat would benefit from from a change and the opportunity to hear another voice (like, say, Tom Thibodeau). But, it will never happen because Spo has the support of both Riley and Wade.

Springsteen
12-14-2015, 07:21 PM
The way they are utilizing Dragic makes his contract one of the worst in the NBA.

Plus the picks they gave up for him. :facepalm

Hey Yo
12-14-2015, 07:28 PM
"Goran Dragic has not looked comfortable in Miami all season, rather he has looked hesitant and passive. He is scoring 10.9 points per game on 43.1 percent shooting, which would be his worst marksmanship since his rookie season. He

DoctorP
12-14-2015, 08:50 PM
[QUOTE=Hey Yo]"Goran Dragic has not looked comfortable in Miami all season, rather he has looked hesitant and passive. He is scoring 10.9 points per game on 43.1 percent shooting, which would be his worst marksmanship since his rookie season. He

Smoke117
12-14-2015, 09:05 PM
Bosh is back. Last year, Dragic got to make an abundance of plays as the designated second option. Also, ball-dominant players are rhythm players. With fewer touches, he has less opportunity to get into his zone.

However, he's not going to have the ball on a team with Wade. If your choice is between maximizing Wade's game and maximizing that of Dragic (or any other player on the Heat roster), you maximize Wade 82 games a year. So Dragic has to find a way be a factor. Make shots, be efficient and make plays for others.

The bigger issue for me is Whiteside. There has to be a way to keep him on the floor and have him be effective. You can't tell me the game has evolved into small ball so much that a player that talented can only be a part-time role player.

Other things: Wade needs to play better. He's come up clutch in key moments, and he's playing less than 30 minutes a game, but his FG% is his career low and his ppg are his second lowest. Make more shots, score more points, win more games.

And finally, while I don't think Spoelstra is a bad coach, I do think the Heat would benefit from from a change and the opportunity to hear another voice (like, say, Tom Thibodeau). But, it will never happen because Spo has the support of both Riley and Wade.

My main problem with Dragic is his shooting. I could live with the fact that he isn't going to score too much while handling the ball...but the asshole misses all his open looks. He'd be averaging 3-4 more points if he could just make some open jumpers. I honestly think he was just overrated in general. People want to act like he was averaging 25 and 10 assist on that Suns team when he was averaging 20 and 6. That's good, but he wasn't close to as good as some people are trying to make him out to be. He's on a team not geared towards his assets...but he frankly was just never as good as he was coined to be. The fact that he has been unable to develop any chemistry with Whiteside doesn't help either.

DoctorP
12-14-2015, 09:07 PM
My main problem with Dragic is his shooting. I could live with the fact that he isn't going to score too much while handling the ball...but the asshole misses all his open looks. He'd be averaging 3-4 more points if he could just make some open jumpers. I honestly think he was just overrated in general. People want to act like he was averaging 25 and 10 assist on that Suns team when he was averaging 20 and 6. That's good, but he wasn't close to as good as some people are trying to make him out to be. He's on a team not geared towards his assets...but he frankly was just never as good as he was coined to be.

The whole team has been ass with the shot. Terrible.