PDA

View Full Version : Dave Joerger Close to Being Fired

T_L_P
12-14-2015, 12:33 PM
https://twitter.com/hoopscritic/status/676429887742353409?s=09

League source tells me that Dave Joerger is extremely close to being fired. Depending upon tonight's game, could happen as soon as tomorrow

Let's blame the coach instead of the poor construction of the team. Gasol+Conley as your stars and no outside shooting simply isn't enough to win these days.

HurricaneKid
12-14-2015, 12:50 PM

Let's blame the coach instead of the poor construction of the team. Gasol+Conley as your stars and no outside shooting simply isn't enough to win these days.

GSW absolutely provided the blueprint on how to deal with the Grizzles and especially Tony Allen.

Firing the coach mid season right before Conley becomes a UFA seems like a knockdown might be on the horizon.

I think its evident that a team without ANY shooters cannot compete in today's NBA. At least not on a Championship level.

Legends66NBA7
12-14-2015, 01:28 PM

Coach does deserve some blame. He's the one putting out the lineups.

And it's not just their offense that's struggling, but their elite defense than has completely slipped off. They ranked Top 10 for 5 straight years (Top 2 last year) and currently ranked 25th.

Lebronxrings
12-14-2015, 01:29 PM
not his fault the team sucks.

Haymaker
12-14-2015, 01:29 PM
This Hollinger project has been a disaster.

game3524
12-14-2015, 01:32 PM
Memphis needs to blow the whole thing up.

They are built like an old school late 90s team, but you can't play that way in today's game.

Outside of Conley, everyone should be made available.

T_L_P
12-14-2015, 01:33 PM
Coach does deserve some blame. He's the one putting out the lineups.

And it's not just their offense that's struggling, but their elite defense than has completely slipped off. They ranked Top 10 for 5 straight years (Top 2 last year) and currently ranked 25th.

Didn't he recently bench TA and Z-Bo? Also, he's made some good adjustments in the Playoffs.

I don't think this falls on him. :confusedshrug:

Legends66NBA7
12-14-2015, 01:38 PM
Didn't he recently bench TA and Z-Bo? Also, he's made some good adjustments in the Playoffs.

I don't think this falls on him. :confusedshrug:

I don't think it should fall on him either. I think Memphis has just regressed and can't maintain their level of high defense anymore and don't have a lot of young talent to go on.

He probably still gets fired but Memphis starts a fire sale if they start to lose more games.

TaLvsCuaL
12-14-2015, 01:48 PM
I'm not a huge fan of Joerger but He is definitely not the culprit. Grizz GMs are tryng their best to ruin the team and force Conley to leave in the offseason.

gasolina
12-14-2015, 02:03 PM
As a longtime grizly fan I think the grit and grind era has run its course. Hope they could still keep Conley and Gasol and add more "modern" pieces.

DrakeTheSnake
12-14-2015, 02:14 PM
This is a roster problem, not a coaching problem.

Dr. Ice
12-14-2015, 02:21 PM
Look at that roster. How is it Joerger's fault?

ProfessorMurder
12-14-2015, 02:39 PM
They just need one f*cking guy who can shoot. One.

They've needed him for 5 years.

Anthony Morrow, Kevin Martin, Ryan Anderson, anyone.

90sgoat
12-14-2015, 02:42 PM
Memphis needs to blow the whole thing up.

They are built like an old school late 90s team, but you can't play that way in today's game.

Outside of Conley, everyone should be made available.

That's not the problem, the problem is that prime Marc Gasol can't score more than 37 year old Duncan. There simply isn't enough scoring capacity on that team from any position.

RRR3
12-14-2015, 02:45 PM
They just need one f*cking guy who can shoot. One.

They've needed him for 5 years.

Anthony Morrow, Kevin Martin, Ryan Anderson, anyone.
You mean one guy who can shoot at an elite level.

Because they have some solid shooters (Conley, Lee, Chalmers if his 3PT shot returns).

DaRkJaWs
12-14-2015, 02:53 PM
Nah, this just proves that advanced statistics do nothing to better a teams fundamentals and how to play NBA basketball. Not only should the coach and the idiot Hollinger get fired, but those frauds at realgm should pack it up and go home, and shut down the website. It's over REALGM, you lost, now throw your fraudulent and terrible analyses of present and past and eat shit.

I<3NBA
12-14-2015, 03:21 PM
Nah, this just proves that advanced statistics do nothing to better a teams fundamentals and how to play NBA basketball. Not only should the coach and the idiot Hollinger get fired, but those frauds at realgm should pack it up and go home, and shut down the website. It's over REALGM, you lost, now throw your fraudulent and terrible analyses of present and past and eat shit.
how does that prove it when san Antonio started the whole thing and is basically just doing it better than most?

unless you're ignorant of this and think Memphis is the only one using stat analysis in their FO?

fun fact: San Antonio was one of the first to utilize stats. Memphis was a late comer.

game3524
12-14-2015, 03:30 PM

I am not a huge advance statistics guy, but Memphis failure has nothing to do with it.

In fact they are the anti-advance statistic team. Poor spacing, lack of 3-pointers, relying on mid-range/post play etc.

ProfessorMurder
12-14-2015, 03:36 PM
You mean one guy who can shoot at an elite level.

Because they have some solid shooters (Conley, Lee, Chalmers if his 3PT shot returns).

Uh yeah, that's why I said a shooter.

None of the 3 you listed are real knock down threats, just passable. Plus, they're all small and can't play together. They need a wing who can shoot 40% that people can't leave open.

Dumping it in the post with no deadly shooters won't punish anyone with a declining ZBo and underperforming Marc.

stalkerforlife
12-14-2015, 03:37 PM
This dude can coach.

That team is finished.

Artillery
12-14-2015, 03:43 PM
how does that prove it when san Antonio started the whole thing and is basically just doing it better than most?

unless you're ignorant of this and think Memphis is the only one using stat analysis in their FO?

fun fact: San Antonio was one of the first to utilize stats. Memphis was a late comer.

Mavs as well.

gasolina
12-14-2015, 03:51 PM
Uh yeah, that's why I said a shooter.

None of the 3 you listed are real knock down threats, just passable. Plus, they're all small and can't play together. They need a wing who can shoot 40% that people can't leave open.

Dumping it in the post with no deadly shooters won't punish anyone with a declining ZBo and underperforming Marc.
I don't think it's a simple as getting a 3&d player and pluggin him into the lineup.

I think its the system we put. Lee and Conley can certainly hoist up 3's if on another team. They also had those years with Miller and Carter, both coming off years where their role was just to shoot the 3 (Heat, Mavs). For some reason when they put on the blue the 3PTA's come down.

Tony Allen being on the floor really hurts, as it just makes it easier marking one shooter instead of two. Also nobody else outside of Conley can run the offense, making it very predictable.

Levity
12-14-2015, 03:55 PM
when zbo got suspened 1 gm in the playoffs, and the team started leur against the thunder, they actually looked like a good, up to date, NBA team. So im with the majority of not placing all the blame on coaching. more so the personnel they gave him.

T_L_P
12-14-2015, 05:01 PM

IIRC only four teams don't embrace the metric movement right now. All four of them suck (Nets and Lakers are two of them).

SwishSquared
12-14-2015, 10:05 PM
So if he's fired, are we gonna pencil him in as the next coach of the T-Wolves?

Joerger gets some blame, but this team is on the decline and the players know it. Z-Bo isn't a starter in today's league imo. Allen is unplayable except in super small lineups. They don't have an elite perimeter scorer. Guys like Conley and Gasol are 3rd options on real contenders imo. The offense stalls out too much. They already owe 2 first round picks to Boston and Denver, so rebuilding may be tough and ugly.

DaRkJaWs
12-14-2015, 10:08 PM

And San Antonio will be the first to admit this: it only tells them what they already know, and they have to know which data to use or not use, meaning it only helps them confirm whatever their biases happen to be.

Houston also uses it and yet are u fools gonna tell me they are an anti-stat team? Talk about no credibility, when someone proclaims they are anti stat with gm's like Daryl morey or John Hollinger lmfao:roll: :roll: :roll:

DoctorP
12-14-2015, 10:10 PM
It was a good run for the Grizzlies but they couldnt get over the hump.

imnew09
12-14-2015, 10:11 PM
Sweet. If true, Dave Joerger and Conley to the Lakers confirmed

GIF REACTION
12-14-2015, 10:20 PM
Let's blame Tony Parker for everything bad that has happened to the Spurs!

Bay Area Baller
12-14-2015, 10:27 PM
Problem is they never adjusted thery'e playing style once O.J. Mayo and Rudy Gay left. News flash memphis those guys aren't on you team.

bdreason
12-14-2015, 10:30 PM
They need to try and trade Allen and Z-Bo if they can get anything for them. I would trade Jeff Green too, because despite all the physical gifts, this guy is gonna be a career role player.