PDA

View Full Version : D'Antoni, Elton Brand, and Shane Battier to join 76ers?

Mawly-G
12-14-2015, 03:41 PM
Source (http://www.nba.com/2015/news/features/david_aldridge/12/14/morning-tip-chicago-bulls-struggle-to-start-2015-16-derrick-rose-philadelphia-76ers-state-after-hiring-jerry-colangelo-qa-with-reggie-jackson/index.html)

Rumor has it that some changes are on the front for the woeful 76ers. Looks like some veteran leadership is top priority at the moment. Not sure how much Brand and Battier can add to the team (I'm also assuming that these two will be brought in to fill some other roles within the organization and will not actually be players).

The addition of D'antoni as an assistant coach could allow the young team to develop a fairly decent offense. We'll see.

What does ISH think?

IMObjective
12-14-2015, 03:46 PM
Can't hurt.

VengefulAngel
12-14-2015, 03:48 PM
1) ISH doesn't think.
2) The 76ers have an upward battle they have some great trade assets but will likely be poor for quite a long time, it's very hard to transform an organisation with a losing mentality and develop any sort of continuity.
3) As far as the addition goes, i'm not sure what exact capacity Elton Brand and Shane Battier can bring from the playing stand point ( retired) but in coaching roles they should be fantastic. Shane Battier was notorious for his dedication to the craft/art of defending a player and might add some tenacity/grit to the existing core. I personally like D'Antoni as an assistant coach, he started this revolutionised offense we are seeing today, so it will be very interesting.

Levity
MDA as on offensive coordinator for any team is a pretty good idea.

good for him for accepting a diminished role like that

Sarcastic
Jahlil Okafor gonna start shooting 3s :lol

FreezingTsmoove
12-14-2015, 03:49 PM
Having actually watched 76ers games (Knicks Nets) I can say they NEED Dantoni

There offense at times stalls for a long period of time

DoctorP
12-14-2015, 04:06 PM
I'm very interested in seeing how this is going to work.

GoatBoy
12-14-2015, 04:25 PM
Steps in the right direction if they can make this happen. Young dudes like Embiid and Okafor going to the Sixers with no guidance got them being lazy and savage AF

Clifton
12-14-2015, 04:56 PM
They're taking after the Timberwolves.

ALL rebuilding teams should do this. No, Los Angeles, Kobe does not qualify as "veteran leadership."

el gringos
12-14-2015, 05:17 PM
Why are they on such a pr push? They've already made their bed. I guess if some of these moves buy them credit with their fans or the nba then whatever.

Until this years draft order shakes out its hard to say they're right or wrong. They're going to look like geniuses if they end up with Simmons and another top 5-7 pick for a guard

Clifton
12-14-2015, 05:28 PM
Why are they on such a pr push? They've already made their bed. I guess if some of these moves buy them credit with their fans or the nba then whatever.
I don't think it's a PR push. I think they're trying to keep Jahlil Okafor happy, developing, and out of jail. So they're looking at a coach who knows how to score the ball and two NBA vets distinguished for their locker room leadership.

These two aren't going to make the team good, but they could help make the losing more productive and less hopeless.

Nash
12-14-2015, 05:29 PM
so 76ers draft bunch of bigs only to go towards playing small ball?

wtf philly

Mawly-G
12-14-2015, 05:50 PM
I don't think it's a PR push. I think they're trying to keep Jahlil Okafor happy, developing, and out of jail. So they're looking at a coach who knows how to score the ball and two NBA vets distinguished for their locker room leadership.

These two aren't going to make the team good, but they could help make the losing more productive and less hopeless.
The only problem with this is that D'Antoni can't coach bigs. Okafor isn't anywhere near as mobile as Amar'e Stoudemire, and we don't even know what Embiid is even capable of anymore. I don't even know where Noel fits in here either.

This is literally the worst coaching situation for D'Antoni. A logjam of bigs and no real guards to push the tempo.

Levity
12-14-2015, 05:53 PM
The only problem with this is that D'Antoni can't coach bigs. Okafor isn't anywhere near as mobile as Amar'e Stoudemire, and we don't even know what Embiid is even capable of anymore. I don't even know where Noel fits in here either.

This is literally the worst coaching situation for D'Antoni. A logjam of bigs and no real guards to push the tempo.

pretty spot on. but MDA does deserve a bit of credit. for the first 50% or so of his time with teh lakers, he was at a total loss of how to use gasol with dwight. but towards the end of their first season he adjusted his 4 out line up and had gasol playing a bit closer to the basket to some success.

so as long as he doesnt make players fit his mold, but is more willing to adjust his mold to the personnel at hand, he should be able to do this team some justice.

GOBB
12-14-2015, 05:57 PM
I dont care if we had the personnel for Antoni, dont want him.

As far as Brand/Battier impact? Not sure. We have players who are similar in skill to them that maybe they could help? Maybe not. :confusedshrug:

I<3NBA
12-14-2015, 07:16 PM
why get D'Antoni when Thibs is free?

Levity
12-14-2015, 07:18 PM
why get D'Antoni when Thibs is free?

because dantoni is willing to be an assistant. thibs, who knows.

brown was just extended for 2 more years.

SwishSquared
12-14-2015, 10:00 PM
I dont care if we had the personnel for Antoni, dont want him.

As far as Brand/Battier impact? Not sure. We have players who are similar in skill to them that maybe they could help? Maybe not. :confusedshrug:Pretty sure Brand made it known he doesn't want to be a babysitter. I doubt Battier joins either.

I think pulling off MDA would help for around 1.5 seasons- I don't see him sticking longer than that. I think he can coach up Noel, as odd as that sounds. He should boost his confidence and maybe teach him how to catch & finish when being the roll man in the PnR. MDA will become infuriated with the PG situation though imo lol.

The 76ers do run and spread the floor (well, best they can with Canaan/Thompson/Covington/Brik Stauskas) when Okafor is out of the game, so I guess Colangelo thinks MDA can better optimize that system?

Also, as long as they're playing combos like Marshall and Okafor together, MDA won't make the defense any worse. And I think Brett Brown in the past has done a good enough job of getting the players to compete enough on D to compensate for the lack of talent.

CarlosBoozer
12-14-2015, 10:38 PM
A run n gun 76ers.....

a pick n pop with oak sounds good doe.

T_L_P
12-14-2015, 10:40 PM
I don't disagree with the D'Antoni hire because I think he's a bad coach.

I disagree with it because he'll be gunning for the HC job. He's ego is too big to be an Assistant long-term.