PDA

View Full Version : Every play that MJ (Wiz) and Kobe guarded each other

andgar923
12-14-2015, 03:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fbvY249nOw

Here is every notable possession that Jordan guarded Kobe in their Wizard-Laker meetings, including help defense and steals. The April 2, 2002 meeting is not included, as Kobe and Jordan never matched up in the 12 minutes that Jordan was on the floor. The 2002 and 2003 All-Star games are also not included, there will be a separate video for Kobe vs Jordan in All-Star games

Against Jordan including help defense Kobe shot 2/5 FG (40%) with 4 TOs,
Mike had 2 steals against Kobe and drew 2 charges against Kobe
Mike also had an off-ball steal that was intended for Kobe from the great Shaq

also all of these games came after Jordan had his knee injury that eventually ended his 2001/02 season because of torn cartilage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGdNi-3C0HE

Including the help defense at 2:25, Jordan shot 3/5 FG (60%) with 1 TO against Kobe and drew 2 shooting fouls on him, not counting the intentional foul at 3:50

also all of these games came after Jordan had his knee injury that eventually ended his 2001/02 season because of torn cartilage

Rake2204
12-14-2015, 04:03 PM
Interesting watch, limited head-to-head opportunities notwithstanding. I knew going in it'd be a Nobody Touches Jordan video, haha (don't know if that's you, andgar). Combined with the top commenter in each video being a guy named "Kobe Not Top 100", I was amused.

andgar923
12-14-2015, 04:20 PM
Interesting watch, limited head-to-head opportunities notwithstanding. I knew going in it'd be a Nobody Touches Jordan video, haha (don't know if that's you, andgar). Combined with the top commenter in each video being a guy named "Kobe Not Top 100", I was amused.

No, not me, I don't have enough time to make these.

I just noticed that I quoted "Kobe not top 100", I didn't read who the OP was and simply assumed it was the OP and left out that info in his video post.

Btw... the OP does like Kobe, just doesn't appear to be a big Bron fan.

What stands out is MJ's quick lateral footwork. He managed to stay in front of Kobe after a few Kobe crossovers. It's a shame they didn't let them be more physical with one another as well.

Kvnzhangyay
12-14-2015, 04:35 PM

I just noticed that I quoted "Kobe not top 100", I didn't read who the OP was and simply assumed it was the OP and left out that info in his video post.

What stands out is MJ's quick lateral footwork. He managed to stay in front of Kobe after a few Kobe crossovers. It's a shame they didn't let them be more physical with one another as well.

Nobody Touches Jordan uploads great clips, but his bias against Bron and current players in the NBA in general is so obvious

He likes Kobe except when people compare him to MJ :confusedshrug:

Also, I agree with MJ's superior lateral speed. It's also the reason I believe MJ was a much better slasher than kobe

mehyaM24
12-14-2015, 05:13 PM
and this is old, broken down jordan :lol

mike > stringbean

forever

juju151111
12-14-2015, 08:13 PM
and this is old, broken down jordan :lol

mike > stringbean

forever
Mike was doing that to Vince too. Infact Wizards Mj brfore his injuries in 02 were matching up great with prime Vince and pail piece

TheMarkMadsen
12-14-2015, 08:19 PM
Yeah MJ was just so great defensively on the Wiz, especially against Kobe..

must be why he didn't guard him AT ALL when Kobe was dropping 40+ on the Wizards in a half..

TheMarkMadsen
12-14-2015, 08:20 PM

its a shame that mr ultra competitive MJ let Kobe drop 50 on his team without trying once to guard him

andgar923
12-14-2015, 08:21 PM
its a shame that mr ultra competitive MJ let Kobe drop 50 on his team without trying once to guard him
You sound insecure as shit.

Smoke117
12-14-2015, 08:26 PM

He'd fit in perfectly as a Jordan stan then.

andgar923
12-14-2015, 08:28 PM
He'd fit in perfectly as a Jordan stan then.
:lol

TheMarkMadsen
12-14-2015, 08:36 PM

if you're going to make a thread about somebody who hasn't played in over a decade just to hype his defense then you should use a better example than his defense against Kobe - who he didn't dare try to guard during a game when Kobe went absolutly crazy..

andgar923
12-14-2015, 08:40 PM
if you're going to make a thread about somebody who hasn't played in over a decade just to hype his defense then you should use a better example than his defense against Kobe - who he didn't dare try to guard during a game when Kobe went absolutly crazy..
LOl this dude so defensive :oldlol:

CavaliersFTW
12-14-2015, 08:40 PM
I'm 2 minutes in and so far Michael isn't guarding Kobe on any of these possessions. He's just playing the passing lanes and drifting off his man to help his teammate who was actually assigned to guard Kobe.

Has the definition of guarding a player changed?