PDA

View Full Version : "I've scored the most points in the history of the NBA, 6 MVPS (NBA RECORD)" G.O.A.T

k0kakw0rld
12-15-2015, 11:20 PM
I see people here disrespecting KAJ. No way Shaq, Magic, Russell, Wilt are above him, are you guys mad? :biggums:

Media or nah, MVP is the best individual award to win as a basketball fan.
A testimony of your hard work after 82 games

theaussieguy
12-15-2015, 11:27 PM
I see people here disrespecting KAJ. No way Shaq, Magic, Russell, Wilt are above him, are you guys mad? :biggums:

Media or nah, MVP is the best individual award to win as a basketball fan.
A testimony of your hard work after 82 games

firstly I have no idea who this KAJ fella is (instantly precludes you from being in contention for GOAT). Secondly MVP is a media voted award, and a flawed concept at that. Its only given to the best player on the best 2 or 3 teams. Its highly possible that u are on a shit tier team that gets to 50 wins solely cos of the value of one player, yet they will never win the award because media obligations for hype.

outbreak
12-15-2015, 11:29 PM
firstly I have no idea who this KAJ fella is (instantly precludes you from being in contention for GOAT). Secondly MVP is a media voted award, and a flawed concept at that. Its only given to the best player on the best 2 or 3 teams. Its highly possible that u are on a shit tier team that gets to 50 wins solely cos of the value of one player, yet they will never win the award because media obligations for hype.

:biggums: :biggums: :biggums:

jongib369
12-15-2015, 11:30 PM
I've got him at 2-3, ahead of Jordan... But what did he do on the floor better than Wilt? Don't mention team accomplishments please :cheers:

warriorfan
12-15-2015, 11:33 PM
I've got him at 2-3, ahead of Jordan... But what did he do on the floor better than Wilt? Don't mention team accomplishments please :cheers:

Not have his scoring dip drastically in the playoffs and finals.

The nickname "The Big Dipper" is actually a dis that the Boston Celtics made up regarding to Wilt's playoff averages.

Loose Balls by Terry Pluto

Asukal
12-15-2015, 11:34 PM

Two words that instantly slay wilt stans. :oldlol:

!@#$%Vectors!@#
12-15-2015, 11:40 PM
Not have his scoring dip drastically in the playoffs and finals.

The nickname "The Big Dipper" is actually a dis that the Boston Celtics made up regarding to Wilt's playoff averages.

Loose Balls by Terry Pluto

:roll:

Vertical-24
12-16-2015, 12:30 AM

Just curious, what does your Top 10 look like?

Prime_Shaq
12-16-2015, 01:42 AM
Firmly planted at #2 for me

3ball
12-16-2015, 04:01 AM
Kareem's Playoff Averages During Various Championship Runs:

1982: 20.0 ppg.. 8.5 rpg... :roll:

1985: 21.0 ppg.. 8.1 rpg... :roll:

1987: 19.2 ppg.. 6.8 rpg... :roll:

1988: 14.1 ppg.. 5.5 rpg... :roll:

MJ's lowest PPG in playoffs was 29.3, his rookie year (9 apg that year).. Kareem was 2nd fiddle (even 6th fiddle) for MOST of his rings.

MJ was never 2nd fiddle, whereas Kareem, Magic, Bird, Shaq, Kobe, Lebron, Duncan, were ALL 2nd fiddle at one point or another.

Marchesk
12-16-2015, 04:03 AM
You can rate Kareem as high as you want, but there is that one knock against him that he only won titles when playing with the 2 greatest PGs of all time. Magic in particular.

SpaceJam
12-16-2015, 04:04 AM

MJ's lowest PPG in playoffs was 29.3, his rookie year (9 apg that year).. Kareem was 2nd fiddle (even 6th fiddle) for MOST of his rings.

MJ was never 2nd fiddle, whereas Kareem, Magic, Bird, Shaq, Kobe, Lebron, Duncan, were ALL 2nd fiddle at one point or another.

https://media.giphy.com/media/YYRkVlmqo11MA/giphy.gif

1987_Lakers
12-16-2015, 04:08 AM

Not fair, you are posting stats of Kareem when he was in his late 30's- EARLY 40's. In fact those stats are pretty impressive for a player that old in age (won Finals MVP at age 38).

oarabbus
12-16-2015, 04:13 AM
KAJ Jordan and Russell all have legitimate cases for GOAT over everyone else. And each of them has a case over each other.

CavaliersFTW
12-16-2015, 04:15 AM
KAJ Jordan and Russell all have legitimate cases for GOAT over everyone else. And each of them has a case over each other.
As does Wilt

More records than all of them combined. Dominance and records can be a criteria for GOAT. And under that criteria, he's GOAT. They've all got a different criteria that can make them GOAT candidates.

LoneyROY7
12-16-2015, 04:20 AM
Yo 3ball, Wilt > Jordan. MJ could never score at the Big Dipper's level. On or off the court.

I want to see Jordan stans go at Wilt stans so bad.

oarabbus
12-16-2015, 04:22 AM
As does Wilt

More records than all of them combined. Dominance and records can be a criteria for GOAT. And under that criteria, he's GOAT. They've all got a different criteria that can make them GOAT candidates.

Kareem - 6 rings, 19 all stars, 10 first teams, 2FMVP, 6MVP, All time scoring leader

Jordan - 6/6 rings, 6FMVP, 5MVP, 14x allstar, 10 first team, playoffs all time scoring leader

Russell - 5MVPs, 12x all star, 3 first teams... Never missed playoffs, only missed the finals once ever. 11 rings in 11/12 finals won.

Wilt's stats are incredible, but these 3 are on the next level when you factor in the fact that you play to win.

1987_Lakers
12-16-2015, 04:25 AM
Kareem - 6 rings, 19 all stars, 10 first teams, 2FMVP (never won an MVP strangely), All time scoring leader

Jordan - 6/6 rings, 6FMVP, 5MVP, 14x allstar, 10 first team, playoffs all time scoring leader

Russell - 5MVPs, 12x all star, 3 first teams... Never missed playoffs, only missed the finals once ever. 11 rings in 11/12 finals won.

Wilt's stats are incredible, but these 3 are on the next level when you factor in the fact that you play to win.

Huh? He won 6.

CavaliersFTW
12-16-2015, 04:25 AM
Kareem - 6 rings, 19 all stars, 10 first teams, 2FMVP (never won an MVP strangely), All time scoring leader

lol you don't like to listen at all when Wilt's name comes up up do you.

Change the criteria to the things he clearly has an advantage over anyone else in history in, and he can be a GOAT. Just like they can in the things you wished to point out about them.

Anyone who has a clear edge on everyone else at some demonstrable set of achievement in basketball can be a GOAT if you simply choose to favor those things. Criteria is arbitrary.

If you can't see that about Wilt and recognize he's clearly ahead of everyone in history in his own way, you're just being stubborn.

oarabbus
12-16-2015, 04:37 AM
lol you don't like to listen at all when Wilt's name comes up up do you.

Change the criteria to the things he clearly has an advantage over anyone else in history in, and he can be a GOAT. Just like they can in the things you wished to point out about them.

Anyone who has a clear edge on everyone else at some demonstrable set of achievement in basketball can be a GOAT if you simply choose to favor those things. Criteria is arbitrary.

If you can't see that about Wilt and recognize he's clearly ahead of everyone in history in his own way, you're just being stubborn.

When have I ever said that? 100 points. 50ppg season. He's obviously got more records than everybody else.

But you play to win. I think a majority of people would weight 11 championships over a 50ppg season and 100 point game, that's just my guess. It's just the way people are, MVPs matter less than FMVPs which matter less than Championships when you're ranking guys all time. Clearly you don't agree but most people do.

Huh? He won 6.

wow :facepalm fixed, couldn't have read his accolades more incorrectly

3ball
12-16-2015, 04:38 AM
Wilt > Jordan. MJ could never score at the Big Dipper's level.

MJ's scoring average is higher than Wilt's when you account for pace:

Wilt's team's pace in 1962: 131.1
MJ's.. team's pace in 1987: ..95.8

So we must reduce Wilt's 50 ppg by 33%... Once we do that, Wilt's scoring average is 33.5 ppg, which is less than MJ's 37 ppg.

Even without the pace adjustment, MJ has the #1 all-time ppg in regular season and playoffs.. In the playoffs, Jordan's 33.5 ppg destroys Wilt's 22 ppg.

CavaliersFTW
12-16-2015, 04:44 AM
When have I ever said that? 100 points. 50ppg season. He's obviously got more records than everybody else.

But you play to win. I think a majority of people would weight 11 championships over a 50ppg season and 100 point game, that's just my guess.

He did win, 2 championships on two of the most dominant teams ever. And he's the central reason why.

I mean, I've heard people say Hakeem is the GOAT. Wilt won as much as him, but on even better teams, and dominated his peers on an individual basis a lot more than anyone else in the history of not just basketball - but about as much as anyone ever has in any sport.

Safe to say anyone who doesn't think Wilt is a GOAT candidate is denying him that place on ignorance.

I honestly think you haven't done your due in understanding what he accomplished and I say that even knowing you're a fan of the history of the game. There's literally no way you can fail to see how he deserves that mention if you actually had a firm understanding of what he accomplished that is unique to him and how it relates to other players - both as an individual and as a teammate of winning teams.

The edge Bill Russell has over everyone else in NBA history in winning for example - is still a lesser edge than the edge Wilt has over everyone else in the way he dominated and achieved records. And oh yeah once more he still won two. On the GOAT tier '72 Lakers and '67 Sixers.

3ball
12-16-2015, 04:56 AM
All-star appearances while playing with Kareem:

Magic 10
Worthy 6
Bob Dandridge 2
Jamaal Wilkes 2
Oscar 2
Flynn Robinson 1
Norm Nixon 1
AC Green 1

All-star appearances while playing with Magic:

Kareem 10
Worthy 6
Jamaal Wilkes 2
Norm Nixon 1
AC Green 1

All-star appearances while playing with Bird:

Parish 9
McHale 6
Tiny Archibald 3
D Johnson 1

All-star appearances while playing with Shaq:

Kobe 7
Wade 3
Penny 2
Van Exel 1
Eddie Jones 1
Horace Grant 1

All-star appearances while playing with Lebron:

Wade 4
Bosh 4
Kyrie 1
Mo Williams 1
Zydrunas 1

All-star appearances while playing with Duncan:

Parker 6
Robinson 3
Ginobili 2

All-star appearances while playing with MJ:

Pippen 6

LoneyROY7
12-16-2015, 04:58 AM

So we must reduce Wilt's 50 ppg by 33%... Once we do that, Wilt's scoring average is 33.5 ppg, which is less than MJ's 37 ppg.

Even without the pace adjustment, MJ has the #1 all-time ppg in regular season and playoffs.. In the playoffs, Jordan's 33.5 ppg destroys Wilt's 22 ppg.

Holy shit, you got me 3Ball. Pace adjustment really does expose some of Wilt's numbers. Good point. :applause:

And you're right, Wilt's playoff performances were extremely underwhelming to say the least.

CavaliersFTW
12-16-2015, 04:59 AM

Pace doesn't have a correlation with individual player scoring touches.

Michael Jordan took more shots over the course of his career than Wilt Chamberlain.

Yet they averaged the same PPG.

Pace affects rebounding. Not individual scoring touches. Team strategy affects individual scoring touches. A players talent dictates team strategy.

Black and White
12-16-2015, 05:00 AM

All-star appearances while playing with Lebron

Wade 4
Bosh 4
Kyrie 1
Mo Williams 1
Zydrunas 1

All-star appearances while playing with MJ

Pippen 6

So LeBron can turn these players into all-stars? :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: GOAT

LoneyROY7
12-16-2015, 05:02 AM
Yes, yes, yes, yes.

Cavs vs 3ball. LET'S F*CKING GO!

3ball
12-16-2015, 05:02 AM
So LeBron can turn these players into all-stars? :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: GOAT
kyrie and zydrunas were all-stars before lebron ever played with them, just like kevin love, who lebron demoted from all-star status.

don't get it twisted - lebron achieves his stats by significantly lowering the ppg and apg of his teammates - this is statistical fact (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=385841)... Since his teammates aren't playing to capacity, the TEAM doesn't play to capacity and underachieves (2009, 2011, 2014).

Black and White
12-16-2015, 05:03 AM
kyrie and zydrunas were all-stars before lebron ever played with them, just like kevin love, who lebron demoted from all-star status.

So you admit he turned Mo into an all-star?

GOAT :bowdown:

dunksby
12-16-2015, 05:48 AM

Until the 1979–80 season, the MVP was selected by a vote of NBA players.
Kareem won all his MVPs voted by players but lost the FMVP which was a media award because CBS didn't want to give the award to him. Also he won his first MVP in his second season on a shit team of Bucks then 2 MVPs on a shit team of LAL which was gutted in trade to get Kareem from the Bucks, so all your points have no base and actually can be called against Jordan :roll: :roll: :roll:

jongib369
12-16-2015, 06:28 AM
Pace doesn't have a correlation with individual player scoring touches.

Michael Jordan took more shots over the course of his career than Wilt Chamberlain.

Yet they averaged the same PPG.

Pace affects rebounding. Not individual scoring touches. Team strategy affects individual scoring touches. A players talent dictates team strategy.
This, if you want Wilt to have 28 touches a game you can give it to him. If you want to go higher than that, you could too. Would it be winning basketball? Probably not

IMO Wilt just has more impact on the floor if used correctly. Could you imagine what he'd do on the current Warriors? With today's spacing, Wilt and Curry would FEAST on the league.

3Ball I've got a couple questions, you know about MJ more than anyone it seems...How many more rebounds, assists, points, steals, blocks etc was he getting than peers at his position? Even fg%. Not cumulative either, but season by season leaders. Be neat if someone could do the same for Wilt, if I don't myself

Also, what would your all time team be? I've got a few, but I'm not sure how you stop this team...

Wilt
Rodman
Bird
Jordan
Curry

Rodman might not be the best choice, as there are other great defenders/rebounders who could score better...But I like the idea of someone like him roaming around looking to clean up any mistakes those 4 might make, if Wilt doesn't himself off the glass.

Apologies if Ive asked that before

ArbitraryWater
12-16-2015, 06:48 AM
wow :facepalm fixed, couldn't have read his accolades more incorrectly

You had to read up on Kareem's MVP's and when you thought it said 0 that didnt ring a bell to you? I can't even explain all the things wrong with that :oldlol:

Please exclude yourself from any further basketball discussion :lol

ArbitraryWater
12-16-2015, 06:52 AM
MJ and Kareem are the 2 GOAT's, no one else matches their all-around dominance, peak, awards, titles...

Russell obviously has a major lack of offensive dominance/scoring, where as with Wilt it's winning, directly related to his post-season shrinking..

3ball
12-16-2015, 06:55 AM
3Ball I've got a couple questions, you know about MJ more than anyone it seems...How many more rebounds, assists, points, steals, blocks etc was he getting than peers at his position? Even fg%.

Other than 1962, Wilt's scoring advantage over the next guy at his position is the same as Jordan's advantage.

But I wouldn't waste your time comparing stats - in the playoffs, Wilt doesn't compare to Jordan... It's not even close.

3ball
12-16-2015, 06:58 AM
MJ and Kareem are the 2 GOAT's, no one else matches their all-around dominance, peak, awards, titles...

Except Jordan was far more dominant than Kareem during the championship runs, and MJ is the only player that was never 2nd fiddle..

Everyone else was less dominant and 2nd fiddle at some point - Kareem, Magic, Lebron, Bird, Kobe, Shaq, Duncan, Wade...

Asukal
12-16-2015, 07:00 AM

Russell obviously has a major lack of offensive dominance/scoring, where as with Wilt it's winning, directly related to his post-season shrinking..

And KAJ lacks FMVP's. So Jordan is the only G.O.A.T. :bowdown:

dunksby
12-16-2015, 07:31 AM
http://dy.snimg.com/story-image/2/44/4569035/215162-0-600.jpg

ArbitraryWater
12-16-2015, 07:47 AM
Except Jordan was far more dominant than Kareem during the championship runs, and MJ is the only player that was never 2nd fiddle..

Everyone else was less dominant and 2nd fiddle at some point - Kareem, Magic, Lebron, Bird, Kobe, Shaq, Duncan, Wade...

Except who cares?

Kareem had a compatible team by his 11th season, and he started winning, big, in 1980 as a superior player than Jordan in any season 11+ years into the NBA.

Its like your defending against MJ's years before Pip came through as AS.

You'd love for MJ to be the consensus, right? Sorry, nope.. and Bron was never a 2nd fiddle either :oldlol:

Nash
12-16-2015, 07:56 AM

explain pls

3ball
12-16-2015, 08:09 AM
Kareem had a compatible team by his 11th season

(translation: Kareem's career was littered with DOZENS of all-stars - he had FAR more help than MJ ever had)

ALL-STAR APPEARANCES WHILE PLAYING WITH KAREEM:

Magic 10
Worthy 6
Bob Dandridge 2
Jamaal Wilkes 2
Oscar 2
Flynn Robinson 1
Norm Nixon 1
AC Green 1

ALL-STAR APPEARANCES WHILE PLAYING WITH JORDAN:

Pippen 6

Kareem started winning, big, in 1980 as a superior player than Jordan in any season 11+ years into the NBA.

You'd love for MJ to be the consensus, right? Sorry, nope..

Most people think he's the goat..

Take this L... and the next one below

and Bron was never a 2nd fiddle

D WADE 2011 PLAYOFFS: 24.5 ppg on 48.5%
LEBRON 2011 PLAYOFFS: 23.7 ppg on 46.6%

D WADE 2011 FINALS: 26.5 ppg on 54.5%
LEBRON 2011 FINALS: 17.8 ppg on 48.7%

:dancin :hammertime: :djparty :party: :violin:

feyki
12-16-2015, 08:45 AM
Mvp's or scores doesn't matter to me . I just look their impacts . And Bill and Kareem have better impacts on the court .

Leviathon1121
12-16-2015, 10:17 AM
Except who cares?

Kareem had a compatible team by his 11th season, and he started winning, big, in 1980 as a superior player than Jordan in any season 11+ years into the NBA.

Its like your defending against MJ's years before Pip came through as AS.

You'd love for MJ to be the consensus, right? Sorry, nope.. and Bron was never a 2nd fiddle either :oldlol:

Actually, Jordan is quite easily the consensus.

LAZERUSS
12-16-2015, 12:43 PM

:roll: :roll: :roll:

These comical "paceologists."

Wilt's '62 NBA averaged 108 FGAs and 37 FTAs per game, per team.

MJ's '87 NBA averaged 89 FGAs and 31 FTAs per game.

Oh, and MJ played in the defenseless 80's, where teams that went 30-52 were shooting .504 from the field, while Wilt's '62 NBA shot .426 (and then .411 in the post-season.)

You want basic math...

MJ's '87 NBA averaged 110 ppg. Wilt's '62 averaged 119.

110/119 = .924.

Multiply Wilt's 50.4 ppg by .924...and ...boom.... 46.6 ppg in MJ's '87 season.

ArbitraryWater
12-16-2015, 12:57 PM
Actually, Jordan is quite easily the consensus.

Oh, my mistake, he is yea.. I meant undisputed.

ClipperRevival
12-16-2015, 01:23 PM
Mvp's or scores doesn't matter to me . I just look their impacts . And Bill and Kareem have better impacts on the court .

That makes no sense. Impact as in being clearly "the man" and carrying the largest load? Being the best two-way player maybe ever?

Russell didn't impact the offensive end. KAJ was dominant in some playoff series but in many others, he was 2nd or 3rd option. MJ was always "the man" and it wasn't close. He had to carry a burden those two never had to do for such a sustained period of time.

24-Inch_Chrome
12-16-2015, 01:38 PM
So you admit he turned Mo into an all-star?

GOAT :bowdown:
Wow. :eek:

I'm convinced.

feyki
12-16-2015, 01:54 PM
That makes no sense. Impact as in being clearly "the man" and carrying the largest load? Being the best two-way player maybe ever?

Russell didn't impact the offensive end. KAJ was dominant in some playoff series but in many others, he was 2nd or 3rd option. MJ was always "the man" and it wasn't close. He had to carry a burden those two never had to do for such a sustained period of time.

Two-way or not , who is better totally ? With offensive and defensive margin.

Your point is about championships and "who led the champion team" . I wasn't talking about that.

Russell averaged 20 points , 18 rebounds , 6 assist when adjusting the eras(100 poss , poss rtg , reb % , ast% etc . ) . That is solid offence . Russell has 26 offensive margin and 31 defensive margin in his prime(60-65) at my calculations.

Jordan has 36 offensive margin and 18 defensive margin in his prime(88-93) at my calculations .

ClipperRevival
12-16-2015, 02:02 PM
Two-way or not , who is better totally ? With offensive and defensive margin.

Your point is about championships and "who led the champion team" . I wasn't talking about that.

Russell averaged 20 points , 18 rebounds , 6 assist when adjusting the eras(100 poss , poss rtg , reb % , ast% etc . ) . That is solid offence . Russell has 26 offensive margin and 31 defensive margin in his prime(60-65) at my calculations.

Jordan has 36 offensive margin and 18 defensive margin in his prime(88-93) at my calculations .

Russell concentrated on defense, rebounding and passing. He let his teammates carry most of the scoring load. MJ led the league in scoring every year his team won it all. And he brought you GOAT level D on the perimeter to boot. That's such a HUGE burden to carry. It is so much more taxing on the body to carry the load offensively and play great D versus just playing D and letting others do the scoring. MJ's stamina and energy is also GOAT level and seldom gets talked about. It was freakish.

If you feel Rusell had more impact, that's fine. Agree to disagree.

feyki
12-16-2015, 02:28 PM
Russell concentrated on defense, rebounding and passing. He let his teammates carry most of the scoring load. MJ led the league in scoring every year his team won it all. And he brought you GOAT level D on the perimeter to boot. That's such a HUGE burden to carry. It is so much more taxing on the body to carry the load offensively and play great D versus just playing D and letting others do the scoring. MJ's stamina and energy is also GOAT level and seldom gets talked about. It was freakish.

If you feel Rusell had more impact, that's fine. Agree to disagree.

I try to looking objectively .

Rebounding and playmaking are part of the offence . Russell has 7-8 more rebounds than Jordan on 100 poss . That means Russell get 7-8 possesions than Jordan . Jordan has better playmaking by 3-4 assists margin on 100 poss and better scoring by 12-13 points margin on 100 poss .

Yes , Jordan clearly better offensive player than Russell . But , Russell also clearly better defensive player than Jordan .

I get 4 baller in the same tier . They are close , really close. But Kareem and Russell slightly better than Jordan and Wilt , as a impacts .

oarabbus
12-16-2015, 02:43 PM
You had to read up on Kareem's MVP's and when you thought it said 0 that didnt ring a bell to you? I can't even explain all the things wrong with that :oldlol:

Please exclude yourself from any further basketball discussion :lol

Chill the fu.ck out breh everything else was correct... the site made no mention of MVPs whatsoever obviously didn't say 0 and I just finished finals and had some drink flowing through my system :confusedshrug: