PDA

View Full Version : Bogut a +42 tonight. Let's be real. How accurate is this stat?

MJ(Mean John)
12-17-2015, 07:57 AM
I mean, it's ridiculous to say that Bogut has that much of an impact on what the Warriors do.

Curry +37
Klay +37
Draygod+39
Bogut +42

So Bogut is more valuable than Curry and Klay? C'mon now. Should we stop using this tool when evaluating a player? Me thinks so!

buddha
12-17-2015, 07:59 AM
only idiots use that stat.

Nash
12-17-2015, 08:03 AM
over a full season, it is good.

But when using it on single games its useless.

MMM
12-17-2015, 08:05 AM
It doesn't measure impact it just another data point that helps when taken into account everything else that happens in the game

MJ(Mean John)
12-17-2015, 08:14 AM
It doesn't measure impact it just another data point that helps when taken into account everything else that happens in the game

It DOESNT measure impact??

That's what it does.

It's saying the impact you had on your team was +/- (x) amount.

VengefulAngel
12-17-2015, 08:17 AM
It DOESNT measure impact??

That's what it does.

It's saying the impact you had on your team was +/- (x) amount.

No it show's the plus minus of all the lineups you have been in the minutes you've played, RPM accounts for that variable.

Dr Hawk
12-17-2015, 08:26 AM
Give me eye test over any ****ing stat

ArbitraryWater
12-17-2015, 08:45 AM
over a full season, it is good.

But when using it on single games its useless.

this.. fools can use it to point out flaws in single games ANY TIME, butover the whole season its generally accurate.

poido123
12-17-2015, 08:49 AM
Bogut's protection of the paint is real.

The stat exemplifies this impact a little too much, but he certainly did impact the game a lot.

iamgine
12-17-2015, 09:14 AM
I mean, it's ridiculous to say that Bogut has that much of an impact on what the Warriors do.

Curry +37
Klay +37
Draygod+39
Bogut +42

So Bogut is more valuable than Curry and Klay? C'mon now. Should we stop using this tool when evaluating a player? Me thinks so!
Um any stat is useless in a single game.

Brandon Rush scored 11 in this game while Bledsoe scored 6. Is Rush twice the scorer Bledsoe is?

DrakeTheSnake
12-17-2015, 10:10 AM
This game it just meant that he was in while Klay tore things up, and was also in while Curry tore things up.

JtotheIzzo
12-17-2015, 10:16 AM

Curry +37
Klay +37
Draygod+39
Bogut +42

top four plus minus in the league are all warriors
five of the next seven are Spurs

5 man units over a long period it provides insight, not much else.

Teams who play true centers against the Warriors get ROAST, so it is safe to say when Bogut is in the game the other team is scrambling on the pick and roll and getting their ass handed to them. Ergo facto retardo stato, their +/- is low thus Bogut's is high.

I could be a plus 25 in that line up.

SyRyanYang
12-17-2015, 10:16 AM
Um any stat is useless in a single game.

Brandon Rush scored 11 in this game while Bledsoe scored 6. Is Rush twice the scorer Bledsoe is?

This.
Bogut has been great in limited minutes too.

DrakeTheSnake
12-17-2015, 10:22 AM

No, because 12 would be twice the amount of 6. :hammerhead:

Rake2204
12-17-2015, 10:23 AM
Is Real Plus Minus (RPM) more accurate? I've only been paying partial attention to how the new statistics are derived but it seems RPM was attempting to narrow down a player's actual individual impact to avoid things like this ("this" meaning the +42 by way of being present during an outburst).

ralph_i_el
12-17-2015, 10:29 AM
It needs a large sample size to be accurate, and raw +/- is still heavily dependent on who you play with.

single game plus minus is not a good stat to judge people on.

OnFire
12-17-2015, 10:51 AM
What is the obsession with only using a single stat then saying it sucks?

What if we just measure players by FGA only..

juju151111
12-17-2015, 11:42 AM
Go look up RPM. It doesn't have Bogut over Curry and Bogut played great in his limited minutes yesterday.

tmacattack33
12-17-2015, 11:58 AM

Curry +37
Klay +37
Draygod+39
Bogut +42

?

Nobody would use plus minus for ONE GAME and try to take anything from it.

Over 82 games its not bad...and you should also use plus minus differentials instead of just absolute plus minus. And you should also think about what lineup that player plays with (like...Bogut may only be in the game at the same time as Curry for 90% of his minutes...so is it really Bogut making the impact or Curry), and only then try to make a conclusion.

WorldWarriors
12-17-2015, 12:15 PM
12 rebounds in 21 minutes.

Nash
12-17-2015, 01:52 PM
-/+ is actually a really, really good stat when looking at it over a full season.

TheReturn
12-17-2015, 02:13 PM
-/+ is actually a really, really good stat when looking at it over a full season.
Agreed, if you're not a moron like OP, and you look at context of where they play in the rotation of their team and over the entire season, it actually says alot.

All Net
12-17-2015, 02:24 PM
Just shows his impact

MJ(Mean John)
12-17-2015, 04:54 PM
Agreed, if you're not a moron like OP, and you look at context of where they play in the rotation of their team and over the entire season, it actually says alot.

Oh I'm a moron now?? Lol. Move over simpleton.

I'm simply playing devils advocate here.

Now, my question is. (Correct me if I'm wrong) You have Bogut. He starts on this Warrior team, with the same guys. Klay, Steph, Draymond. So, his +/- will ALWAYS be calculated by how his UNIT is playing vs the other teams starting unit. In other words, Bogut will have a relatively high +/- as he's constantly playing with Steph, Klay, and Green. And these guys will more likely than not, outplay thier opposition. Thus, enchancing his +/-. Over the season, it will add up.

Now, take a guy like, idk...Andre Drummond. His is on a not so good team, and his starters more likely than not, are usually down against the other team, thus, overall impacting his +/- negatively over the course of the season.

So a guy like Bogut, over the corse of the season, could have a higher +/- than Drummond. Now, tell me. Is this not an issue of the stat? A misleading component of the stat ?

Can someone please list the league leaders in this stat?