PDA

View Full Version : Should we censor art and books to fit our times?

Nick Young
12-17-2015, 02:11 PM
[QUOTE][B][SIZE="4"]
The Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam has given several of its paintings new, more PC titles

~primetime~
12-17-2015, 02:15 PM
fck no

leave things the way the artist/creator intended...it doesn't matter how offensive it is

NumberSix
12-17-2015, 02:18 PM
Somebody should paint a portrait of Bruce Jenner and title it "****** in a dress" just to bait the backlash.

ISHGoat
12-17-2015, 02:22 PM
****ing liberals ruining this world.

LJJ
12-17-2015, 02:39 PM
Well in the case of the Rijksmuseum (one of the best museums in the world, definitely visit if you have the chance) they are not changing any work of the artist. It's descriptions of paintings some curators and collectors back in the day made. The descriptions hold absolutely no value whatsoever and have nothing to do with the work of the artist, I don't see what's so objectionable about changing it per se.

They are changing it because of American PC culture becoming a factor though. They even said one of the major reasons they are changing it are comments from "international visitors".

Recently these "black rights activists" have started dressing up as black panthers. It's one of the most cringeworthy trends recently, riding the US coattails. They've stolen their whole identity from US black culture.

http://i.imgur.com/WEtYRut.jpg

Dresta
12-17-2015, 02:49 PM
wow, that Harker guy is a first class idiot. Man thinks he has the right to discern the intention of the artist over a century after his death, and to use his opinion to alter the artist's work?

Utterly pathetic.

MMKM
12-17-2015, 04:46 PM
Somebody should paint a portrait of Bruce Jenner and title it "****** in a dress" just to bait the backlash.

:lol :eek:

MMKM
12-17-2015, 07:47 PM
Surprisingly, the most recent censorship attempts have come from the right, but there should be an asterisk because they all involved books being provided at public elementary schools with homosexual characters as the protagonist. I'm not sure the first amendment covers public school indoctrination of moral values, that's kind of a different story altogether....