PDA

View Full Version : How good would Klay be in another situation

IGOTGAME
12-17-2015, 03:11 PM
Put him on an average team and run him as 1a/1b...if he a perennial all star and hall of famer?

TheImmortal
12-17-2015, 03:13 PM
I think he's in the perfect situation with Curry imho..

Legends66NBA7
12-17-2015, 03:15 PM
Klay as 1st option and/or best player ? Or 1a/1b ?

He isn't going to be more successful. I don't think he would be a better player, there's a lot of guys on GS that makes his job easier.

inclinerator
12-17-2015, 03:22 PM
i can see him averaging 25 on 45 percent

IGOTGAME
12-17-2015, 03:25 PM
Klay as 1st option and/or best player ? Or 1a/1b ?

He isn't going to be more successful. I don't think he would be a better player, there's a lot of guys on GS that makes his job easier.

I would argue he makes there job easier too.

VengefulAngel
12-17-2015, 03:26 PM
i can see him averaging 25 on 45 percent

So what Curry was doing last year but with elite defense?

r0drig0lac
12-17-2015, 03:36 PM
elite defense?

DMAVS41
12-17-2015, 03:39 PM
Like any player...he's going to be impacted on some level by his team, coach, and role.

However, Klay has a skill set that makes him very valuable in this league regardless.

He's one of the best shooters ever, doesn't need the ball, opens up the court for his teammates, and plays quality defense.

He's somewhere around the 20th or so best player in the league imo....

IGOTGAME
12-17-2015, 03:46 PM
Like any player...he's going to be impacted on some level by his team, coach, and role.

However, Klay has a skill set that makes him very valuable in this league regardless.

He's one of the best shooters ever, doesn't need the ball, opens up the court for his teammates, and plays quality defense.

Totally agree. I might have him higher than 20th, maybe around 15.

outbreak
12-17-2015, 04:52 PM

I'd have him higher than 20 considering how position he plays isn't really that deep right now so it increases his value.

swagga
12-17-2015, 04:57 PM
:roll:
Klay can play defense on midgets, i'll give you that. But elite??!:biggums:

PsychoBe
12-17-2015, 05:02 PM
klay has too many issues creating shots for himself and others, and even though he has much improved ball-handling skills, it is not good enough for him to attempt to break down defenses on a daily basis or otherwise he's going to either turn the ball over or get completely shutdown (which is why he's at his best when he runs off of screens)

swagga
12-17-2015, 05:05 PM
klay is in a perfect situation. You move him from this spot and he regresses. LOL @25 ppg.. y'all nigggas are blind tbh.

Jameerthefear
12-17-2015, 05:05 PM
Put him on any team that moves the ball well and he's no question an allstar-level player. He's just too good of a shooter to not be.

swagga
12-17-2015, 05:13 PM
Put him on any team that moves the ball well and he's no question an allstar-level player. He's just too good of a shooter to not be.

lol junior. you have to put him on a team that moves the ball AND a team where he is overshadowed by a STAR backcourt player ... you need a curry/cp3/westbrook/lillard/irving, a good team, a good coach... not that easy to find em all.

Jameerthefear
12-17-2015, 05:15 PM
lol junior. you have to put him on a team that moves the ball AND a team where he is overshadowed by a STAR backcourt player ... you need a curry/cp3/westbrook/lillard/irving, a good team, a good coach... not that easy to find em all.
no u don't dummy. put him on any team that moves the ball well, and he'll do well.

FreezingTsmoove
12-17-2015, 05:15 PM
26-0

Cold soul
12-17-2015, 05:18 PM

Yeah around 15 sounds about right Klay is very good player and is easily one of best shooters ever.

swagga
12-17-2015, 05:25 PM
no u don't dummy. put him on any team that moves the ball well, and he'll do well.

this highschool fapping nerd-niggga thinking he knows ball :facepalm

Just watch the fcking playoffs, you put a body on him and he is done. He is getting these WIDE open looks because curry and draygod are putting a shitton of pressure on the defense, on a team stacked with good players.

You put him on a normal team where he isn't benefitting from the GSW unique system and he'll struggle because he can't put the ball on the floor, he has a subpar post game, has a weak iso game and so on. Do you even understand what 25 ppg means?

Look at all people scoring over 22 right:
curry, harden, kd, bron, westbrook, lillard, griffin, melo, davis, lillard.
They all have multiple elite skills and advantages. Klay thompson isn't anywhere close to there guys.

Then you have derzon, lowry, thomas, bledsoe chucking at 45 fg, but they still have GREAT iso games and handles. Thompson at best would be in this group. 20ppg @ 45%. You want more than this, you need multiple elite skills.

swagga
12-17-2015, 05:26 PM

:roll:

Jameerthefear
12-17-2015, 05:35 PM
this highschool fapping nerd-niggga thinking he knows ball :facepalm

Just watch the fcking playoffs, you put a body on him and he is done. He is getting these WIDE open looks because curry and draygod are putting a shitton of pressure on the defense, on a team stacked with good players.

You put him on a normal team where he isn't benefitting from the GSW unique system and he'll struggle because he can't put the ball on the floor, he has a subpar post game, has a weak iso game and so on. Do you even understand what 25 ppg means?

Look at all people scoring over 22 right:
curry, harden, kd, bron, westbrook, lillard, griffin, melo, davis, lillard.
They all have multiple elite skills and advantages. Klay thompson isn't anywhere close to there guys.

Then you have derzon, lowry, thomas, bledsoe chucking at 45 fg, but they still have GREAT iso games and handles. Thompson at best would be in this group. 20ppg @ 45%. You want more than this, you need multiple elite skills.
ball movement isn't unique you ****ing moron. if a team moves the ball they will get klay his open shots. that's just how it works in the regular season. you know what the difference is between who i bolded and klay? he's a much better shooter. if u don't think klay is putting up at least beal #s with more shots and a bigger role ur a moron.

DaOldLion
12-17-2015, 05:38 PM
He can't create for himself good enough to be the go to guy for an entire season.

He would not do very well

!@#$%Vectors!@#
12-17-2015, 05:57 PM
Klay would be a better Harden if he learned to flop and shoot 15 fts a night. KLAY>Ames Haren

outbreak
12-17-2015, 06:02 PM
He can't create for himself good enough to be the go to guy for an entire season.

He would not do very well
I think it depends on the system. Put him in a team like jameer is talking about where ball movement is a focus and you have a few others guys in the line up who are decent scorers and I'd think he'd do ver ywell.

But yeah he's not a lebron/durant throw him the ball and let him score type player but he wouldn't need to be.

He'd fit in really well on this orlando team this season.

Genaro
12-17-2015, 06:16 PM
Klay's in the perfect system in my opinion. He's inconsistent but right now he can actually have some bad games and the team still wins.
I think that if he's the first option in a team, this team won't get very far. Klay has problems creating his own shot and the inconsistency I already mentioned. With Curry drawing attention and the whole Warriors system, he can have looks he wouldn't get in other situations.

PS: Someone spoke he was bad in the playoffs. He actually wasn't. He played well in the first 3 rounds (19/3/3/1/1 on 46/42/76) but played bad in the finals (15/4/1/0.5/1 on 40/30/91).

DaOldLion
12-17-2015, 06:20 PM
I think it depends on the system. Put him in a team like jameer is talking about where ball movement is a focus and you have a few others guys in the line up who are decent scorers and I'd think he'd do ver ywell.

But yeah he's not a lebron/durant throw him the ball and let him score type player but he wouldn't need to be.

He'd fit in really well on this orlando team this season.

you're talking about a very specific situation that not many teams have..

and yeah sure he might "fit" well on some teams but he would never be the go to scorer for a contending team or a team that was even going to make noise in the playoffs which I think is what the OP is asking.

outbreak
12-17-2015, 06:33 PM
you're talking about a very specific situation that not many teams have..

and yeah sure he might "fit" well on some teams but he would never be the go to scorer for a contending team or a team that was even going to make noise in the playoffs which I think is what the OP is asking.

I don't think it has to be very specific though, in this era most teams without a go to guy are moving the ball well and putting a focus on that. All it requires is a team that doesn't have a legit iso star and they could play that way with klay and a few decent but not great scorers next to him. I guess OP asked if he's a hall of famer so yeah he isn't that but i still think he can be an ll star in this situation.

I guess i've misread op's point a bit, I was saying he would still be a good player similar to what he is now and could be a repeat all star, I'm not saying he would suddenly break out and be on a durant type scoring level.

outbreak
12-17-2015, 06:33 PM
Klay's in the perfect system in my opinion. He's inconsistent but right now he can actually have some bad games and the team still wins.
I think that if he's the first option in a team, this team won't get very far. Klay has problems creating his own shot and the inconsistency I already mentioned. With Curry drawing attention and the whole Warriors system, he can have looks he wouldn't get in other situations.

PS: Someone spoke he was bad in the playoffs. He actually wasn't. He played well in the first 3 rounds (19/3/3/1/1 on 46/42/76) but played bad in the finals (15/4/1/0.5/1 on 40/30/91).

warriorfan had a whole meltdown thread where he kept claiming klay was horrible in the play offs based on a couple of bad finals games. The guy hates his own team.

Smoke117
12-17-2015, 06:36 PM
Klay is a great situation right now...he gets to get his shots without having a bullseye on him. Let's just say you took Wade off the Heat and threw Kaly on the team...his efficiency would drop by a good margin. He'd average more points because he's shooting more, but it would be him being a volume scorer and taking so many shots in general and not the fact that he's just that good. It's worth nothing that a team like the heat plays sloooooow and all Klay knows is up-tempo basketball. He's a good basketball player, but there is no doubt that he has found himself in the perfect situation.

warriorfan
12-17-2015, 06:40 PM
warriorfan had a whole meltdown thread where he kept claiming klay was horrible in the play offs based on a couple of bad finals games. The guy hates his own team.

rent free

TrueBlue89
12-17-2015, 06:44 PM
Klay would be a better Harden if he learned to flop and shoot 15 fts a night. KLAY>Ames Haren

Retard.

warriorfan
12-17-2015, 06:46 PM
Klay has good skills but a peanut sized brain.

Klay is also so shy that he didn't say one word to anyone the first year he was on the Warriors.

Klay needed a strong Alpha Role Model like AMC in order to develop into one of the better 3&D role players in the league.

Klay on another team would be disappointing to say the least. Klay as a first option would be one of the worst things we have seen since HOU tried to pull that shit with Trevor Ariza.

AMC = Kobe
Klay = Trevor Ariza

We saw what happened when people thought Ariza was the shit when he was playing next to Kobe and then when he had to step up in a bigger role without his Papa...

Shit the bed big time.

Same thing with Klay except it might even be worse.

!@#$%Vectors!@#
12-17-2015, 06:47 PM
Retard.

http://sorenandersson.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Meltdown-Confirmed-680x229.jpg

outbreak
12-17-2015, 06:51 PM
rent free
I see you still can't grasp the concept of "rent free". If someone else brings it up it doesn't count. :facepalm

Achilleas
12-17-2015, 07:05 PM
i have watch more than 100 games of GSW the last 3 years ,the problem of klay is that he can't create his shot because he can't dribble with the ball easy,if he can't improve that then he can't be a go to guy.if you make him play like harden ,all the time iso then he will be very bad .and his second problem is that he is not consistent .

Klay perfect role is to be the 2guy on offence on a TEAM,like atlanta,spurs,gsw or boston

DMAVS41
12-17-2015, 07:37 PM
Klay has good skills but a peanut sized brain.

Klay is also so shy that he didn't say one word to anyone the first year he was on the Warriors.

Klay needed a strong Alpha Role Model like AMC in order to develop into one of the better 3&D role players in the league.

Klay on another team would be disappointing to say the least. Klay as a first option would be one of the worst things we have seen since HOU tried to pull that shit with Trevor Ariza.

AMC = Kobe
Klay = Trevor Ariza

We saw what happened when people thought Ariza was the shit when he was playing next to Kobe and then when he had to step up in a bigger role without his Papa...

Shit the bed big time.

Same thing with Klay except it might even be worse.

To the bold...depends on the team and role.

You put him on a bad team and make him the first option...yep, he'll disappoint if you think you are getting a Harden level franchise player or something.

But, put him on a team like the Thunder, Cavs, Mavs, Hornets, Jazz, Spurs, Clippers, Pelicans, Bulls....all teams where he wouldn't be the primary offensive player?

He'd be great...because he has a skill set that is valuable. And it's his skill set...he's an all time great shooter that can defend his position very well. He doesn't need the ball in his hands a lot and he's excellent moving in transition and off the ball in the half court.

Those qualities translate anywhere he goes...as long as he's able to play a role well suited for his skill set.

I've yet to see anyone here claim he's a true championship first option...so your points really don't make much sense.

Much like the Draymond Green stuff...you keep ragging on these guys. They are two of the best players in the league regardless. Of course the circumstances on the Warriors helps them, but it helps everyone.

Curry without Thompson and Green would look worse. He wouldn't be a worse player, but he sure as hell would look worse.

It's a non point though...because every player is going to do better or worse depending on role and circumstances to some degree.

You make it sound like Klay/Green don't have near elite skill sets of extreme value outside of the Warriors scheme...and that is just blatantly false.

knicksman
12-17-2015, 08:44 PM
if miller is better than iverson and iverson is considered a superstar then so is klay. I think klay becomes as good as durant this season

Jameerthefear
12-17-2015, 08:49 PM
Retard.
Hey. Watch it.

VeeCee15
12-18-2015, 12:42 AM
the real question is..how BAD would he be?

deja vu
12-18-2015, 12:45 AM
I can see him averaging more than 22 points on another team.

Smoke117
12-18-2015, 12:46 AM
if miller is better than iverson and iverson is considered a superstar then so is klay. I think klay becomes as good as durant this season

Iverson was only a superstar in the minds of people that didn't know anything about basketball...like you.

Donkey4trading
12-18-2015, 12:47 AM
Iverson was only a superstar in the minds of people that didn't know anything about basketball...like you.

yeah the guy leading the league in scoring while winning MVP and leading his team to the finals = not a superstar

:roll: :roll:

Smoke117
12-18-2015, 12:50 AM
yeah the guy leading the league in scoring while winning MVP and leading his team to the finals = not a superstar

:roll: :roll:

Anyone can lead the league in scoring if they are taking 27 shots. Also...the defense and the refs got the sixers to the finals. Iverson was taking more shots than actual points he was scoring vs the Bucks.

AintNoSunshine
12-18-2015, 04:19 AM
James Harden with much better defense.

dhsilv
12-18-2015, 04:22 AM

This though I'd be willing to go into the 15 range if he'd up his defense this year. He's a really great shooting guard in a league without a lot of those.

dhsilv
12-18-2015, 04:23 AM
I'd have him higher than 20 considering how position he plays isn't really that deep right now so it increases his value.

Disagree that his position being weak increases his value. Bottom line is defensive big guys are more valuable even if there are others better. Guards are important but at the end of the day the top 20 guys in the game, most are going to be over 6'6.

dhsilv
12-18-2015, 04:25 AM
klay has too many issues creating shots for himself and others, and even though he has much improved ball-handling skills, it is not good enough for him to attempt to break down defenses on a daily basis or otherwise he's going to either turn the ball over or get completely shutdown (which is why he's at his best when he runs off of screens)

Bold, that's pretty much what Reggie Miller and Ray Allen and even Rip Hamilton made hall level careers off of. That's not really a knock on him unless we're talking about him as a top 10 player and I doubt we are...

WorldWarriors
12-18-2015, 05:09 AM
Bold, that's pretty much what Reggie Miller and Ray Allen and even Rip Hamilton made hall level careers off of. That's not really a knock on him unless we're talking about him as a top 10 player and I doubt we are...
I would take Ray Allen out of that group. He could actually put the ball on the floor and drive to the hoop. He had a great overall game before he blew his knee out. I think it was his knee. He had some injury when he was on the bucks.

Smoke117
12-18-2015, 05:12 AM

Wrong. Ray was very good creating his own shot off the dribble before he slowed down and his handles waned.

I<3NBA
12-18-2015, 05:54 AM
he got it easy in GS. i think being the main man might make his life a bit difficult. his stats will drop all over.

LAKingKobe
12-18-2015, 08:35 PM
Just a better overall version of Ray Allen. Similar skill sets and styles. Like some other guys said, u can't count on him to consistently break down defenses and create offense. Without his jumpshot, is he really more impactful you than say J.R. Smith who's only a threat when his offensive game is rolling due to range shooting.

Smoke117
12-18-2015, 08:46 PM
Just a better overall version of Ray Allen. Similar skill sets and styles. Like some other guys said, u can't count on him to consistently break down defenses and create offense. Without his jumpshot, is he really more impactful you than say J.R. Smith who's only a threat when his offensive game is rolling due to range shooting.

Uh...how is he a better version of Ray? He isn't close to as good as ray was off the dribble...how old are you? Did you even see Ray before he was 30? Ray actually was a legit first option on good teams. He put this up in the 2001 and 2005 playoffs before the soft rule changes that Klay so enjoys:

2001: 18g 25.1ppg 6.0apg 4.1rpg .477%fg .479%3pt .919%ft

2005: 11g 26.5ppg 3.9apg 4.3rpg .474%fg .379%3pt .889%ft. Sonics took the Spurs to 6 games with an injured Lewis.

In particular in 2001...Ray was very much a a player who created his own offense and handled the ball a lot. (hence the 6.0apg) By 2005 he was running of screens more, but was still good.

Either way, if Ray came into the league with his skillset in 2011 like Thompson did...he'd be feasting on the league.

dhsilv
12-18-2015, 08:47 PM

Why would he become the point guard and primary ball handler? I'll just ignore that defense comment.

dhsilv
12-18-2015, 08:49 PM
I would take Ray Allen out of that group. He could actually put the ball on the floor and drive to the hoop. He had a great overall game before he blew his knee out. I think it was his knee. He had some injury when he was on the bucks.

Wrong. Ray was very good creating his own shot off the dribble before he slowed down and his handles waned.

Ray was good taking the ball to the hoop, but his greatest strength was coming off screens and shooting.

Smoke117
12-18-2015, 08:53 PM
Ray was good taking the ball to the hoop, but his greatest strength was coming off screens and shooting.

And Reggie, Rip, nor Klay or even good, so how is he grouped with them? During his bucks days he was very much a player who would be handling the ball and creating his own offense. When he was traded for Payton he played the last 29 games on the sonics as THEIR STARTING PG.

ShawkFactory
12-19-2015, 12:16 AM
And Reggie, Rip, nor Klay or even good, so how is he grouped with them? During his bucks days he was very much a player who would be handling the ball and creating his own offense. When he was traded for Payton he played the last 29 games on the sonics as THEIR STARTING PG.
Seriously though. Ray is one of my 5 favorites of all time.

I remember watching tmac (who is my #1 all time) in the playoffs against the bucks and dude was dominating these games. He wasn't quite tmac level but he did it all.

He'd be klay on fvcking steroids with a good handle. Like...he'd routinely put up 25+/5/5. Would be borderline top 5