Cocaine80s
12-17-2015, 08:48 PM
They should make it where the championship team wins the #1 pick

outbreak
12-17-2015, 08:50 PM
all non playoff teams have equal chances

**** these useless tanking POS teams

the idea I like that will NEVER happen.

Turn the d-league in to a decent league and then the bottom 2 teams in each conference get demoted to the d-league and the top 2 d-league teams get promoted to the NBA.

Hopefully it would encourage people to look at the d-league as a way to potentially own an NBA team and the quality there would be improved.

Pushxx
12-17-2015, 09:02 PM

Turn the d-league in to a decent league and then the bottom 2 teams in each conference get demoted to the d-league and the top 2 d-league teams get promoted to the NBA.

Hopefully it would encourage people to look at the d-league as a way to potentially own an NBA team and the quality there would be improved.

There's barely enough talent for 30 teams as it is. Barely...

RedBlackAttack
12-17-2015, 09:15 PM
The funny thing is, this past draft aside, rarely do the worst teams get the #1 pick (at least recently). Here is a list of the teams' that won the lottery and their corresponding rank by odds of getting it with that respective pick.

2015 - Minnesota Timberwolves - #1 best odds
2014 - Cleveland Cavaliers - #9
2013 - Cleveland Cavaliers - #3
2012 - New Orleans Pelicans - #4
2011 - Cleveland Cavaliers (pick via LA Clippers) - #8
2010 - Washington Wizards - #4
2009 - LA Clippers - #3
2008 - Chicago Bulls - #9
2007 - Portland Trailblazers - #6
2006 - Toronto Raptors - #5
2005 - Milwaukee Bucks - #6

The top pick has been pretty evenly spread around the non-tanking teams recently. That isn't to say that they don't help themselves by tanking and that it isn't advantageous. There is nothing that you can do about that unless you want to just randomly reward the pick to a team with no weighting of record at all.

But, the NBA rewards tanking teams the least of America's major sports. We generally consider teams to be tanking if they're winning under 25 games in a season. Over the past 11 years, five picks have gotten #1 with over 30 wins.

Based on what I'm seeing above, if a team wants to have the worst record in the league to take a stab at getting the best player coming out of the draft, it is a pretty risky proposal.

bdreason
12-17-2015, 09:47 PM
They should just add a rule where a team who gets a top 3 pick isn't eligible for another top 3 pick for 3 years. That way you wouldn't have teams like Philly taking top 3 draft picks every season.

T_L_P
12-17-2015, 09:55 PM

:biggums:

The only sport this works in is soccer, and that's largely because there's no draft and so many people play the sport.

It would be impossible to do in basketball, not to mention pointless. Who would sign with a bad team knowing they could be in the D-League the next year?

outbreak
12-17-2015, 09:58 PM
:biggums:

The only sport this works in is soccer, and that's largely because there's no draft and so many people play the sport.

It would be impossible to do in basketball, not to mention pointless. Who would sign with a bad team knowing they could be in the D-League the next year?
the point would be to not have the current d-league but have it as a legit secondary league that's actually funded and promoted. The nba dreams of globalisation and keeps talking about euro wings so as it expands you would shorten the amount of teams in the top and then have a legit second tier league that's also televised. Maybe calling it the d-league was wrong but it'd be the nba seconds league.

like I said thought, it will never happen but a system like that is the best way to stop tanking and encourage teams to do whatever it takes to avoid relegation. It wouldn't be impossible but it would never happen because it requires major re working of the current league and the american sports culture doesn't work the same as that.

sammichoffate
12-18-2015, 12:15 AM
The funny thing is, this past draft aside, rarely do the worst teams get the #1 pick (at least recently). Here is a list of the teams' that won the lottery and their corresponding rank by odds of getting it with that respective pick.

2015 - Minnesota Timberwolves - #1 best odds
2014 - Cleveland Cavaliers - #9
2013 - Cleveland Cavaliers - #3
2012 - New Orleans Pelicans - #4
2011 - Cleveland Cavaliers (pick via LA Clippers) - #8
2010 - Washington Wizards - #4
2009 - LA Clippers - #3
2008 - Chicago Bulls - #9
2007 - Portland Trailblazers - #6
2006 - Toronto Raptors - #5
2005 - Milwaukee Bucks - #6

The top pick has been pretty evenly spread around the non-tanking teams recently. That isn't to say that they don't help themselves by tanking and that it isn't advantageous. There is nothing that you can do about that unless you want to just randomly reward the pick to a team with no weighting of record at all.

But, the NBA rewards tanking teams the least of America's major sports. We generally consider teams to be tanking if they're winning under 25 games in a season. Over the past 11 years, five picks have gotten #1 with over 30 wins.

Based on what I'm seeing above, if a team wants to have the worst record in the league to take a stab at getting the best player coming out of the draft, it is a pretty risky proposal.Ironically, half those teams didn't even "tank". They just got lucky in draft odds :oldlol:

midatlantic09
12-18-2015, 03:03 AM
OP is just mad because his team has likely been stuck between 35 and 45 wins ever year, has had no chance of competing for a ring in years (ie Phoenix/Charlotte/Denver/Sacramento), and will probably remain mediocre for years to come...

sd3035
12-18-2015, 03:37 AM
OP is just mad because his team has likely been stuck between 35 and 45 wins ever year, has had no chance of competing for a ring in years (ie Phoenix/Charlotte/Denver/Sacramento), and will probably remain mediocre for years to come...

I guess I offended a Sixers fan lol

My favorite team is the Warriors, f@ggot

Akrazotile
12-18-2015, 04:55 AM
OP is correct, and I've been saying the same thing for a while now.

Most teams that don't make the lottery aren't good. We don't need to separate them in terms of who deserves the #1 pick more because this team won 20 games and this team won 25. Just make it equal.

Further, if a pretty solid, up and coming team that wins 36 games happens to get the #1 pick? Oh well. So what? In most years it's not like they're adding a generational talent at #1 anyway. And if by chance a solid, fringe playoff team adds a Tim Duncan or Lebron James type of prospect? So what. Dynasties are better for the league than tanking every year is.

Weight it equally and stop rewarding losing, stop rewarding incompetence.

Styles p
12-18-2015, 12:27 PM

oh a team that got where they are today from being terrible and being in the lottery every year?

24-Inch_Chrome
12-18-2015, 12:36 PM

Of course it is. :rolleyes:

Mass Debator
12-18-2015, 12:48 PM
They should have tiers.

Top 4 worst records are eligible for the first 4 picks.
Next 6 worst gets pick 5-10.
Then you have your last 4.

All teams should have equal chances in the tier.

Sarcastic
12-18-2015, 12:49 PM
To stop tanking, they have to remove the incentive to be bad. The Wheel solves this problem. No point in being bad when your draft slot is predetermined.

sd3035
12-18-2015, 01:37 PM
Of course it is. :rolleyes:

Better than being a Craptors fan :lol

DrakeTheSnake
12-18-2015, 01:44 PM
They should just add a rule where a team who gets a top 3 pick isn't eligible for another top 3 pick for 3 years. That way you wouldn't have teams like Philly taking top 3 draft picks every season.
There needs to be an bust exception. Like some way of measuring the picks to see if the team genuinely got a dud, whether it is games played, minutes played, some specific stat production, or a combination.

ralph_i_el
12-18-2015, 01:51 PM
There needs to be an bust exception. Like some way of measuring the picks to see if the team genuinely got a dud, whether it is games played, minutes played, some specific stat production, or a combination.
:facepalm
Then what's the point of trying to be good at scouting and drafting? Just draft the riskiest players if you get rewarded for busts.

ralph_i_el
12-18-2015, 01:52 PM

Owners won't do it. That would drastically decrease the value of each of their teams.

When every owner is going to lose $100m+ on a plan, count on it NOT happening.

dunksby
12-18-2015, 01:57 PM
They should have tiers.

Top 4 worst records are eligible for the first 4 picks.
Next 6 worst gets pick 5-10.
Then you have your last 4.

All teams should have equal chances in the tier.
So make it more attractive for teams to tank? Lmao!

ralph_i_el
12-18-2015, 02:00 PM
oh a team that got where they are today from being terrible and being in the lottery every year?

Not from getting top-5 picks though

They were a winning team, lost Baron Davis, had a bad season, then drafted Curry 7th. They had a couple more bad seasons, but they weren't from tanking. They signed David Lee and were trying to be a good team.

So the warrior's core comes from

Curry- 7th Pick
Klay Thompson- 11th Pick
Draymond Green- 35th pick
Harrison Barnes- 7th Pick

The only time they legit tanked is when they sat people out at the end of a season so they could keep the pick that netted them Barnes. If they had the 8th pick they would have lost it (to NY I think? I forget)

GOBB
12-18-2015, 05:37 PM
You guys are all on the Sixers nutsac, yet prior to the Sixers tanking you had NO problem with the lottery system? If you did, please feel free to speak up.

Sac Kings, Wolves live in the lottery. Call me when both place a change of address out of it.

OP is a Warriors fan, again your franchise spent more years in the lottery than the Sixers. And like most teams in the lottery got lucky to hit a home run with Steph Curry.

24-Inch_Chrome
12-18-2015, 05:44 PM
Better than being a Craptors fan :lol
Anything is better than hopping on a bandwagon. :confusedshrug: