PDA

View Full Version : Is Carmelo Anthony a hall of famer?

TAZORAC
12-19-2015, 03:39 PM
Was always in top 5 scorers in the league for almost a decade...if Anthony retired today, is he a hall of famer?

lilteapot
12-19-2015, 03:40 PM
Nah. He hasn't done anything.

Real Men Wear Green
12-19-2015, 03:53 PM
Nique made it so Melo definitely has a chance. 8-time All-Star, may need 1 or 2 more ASGs to be a sure bet but I'd guess he gets those 1 or 2 selections.

TheImmortal
12-19-2015, 03:54 PM
If Dominique Wilkins, Reggie Miller etc made it.. I dont see why Melo shouldn't. :confusedshrug:

pastis
12-19-2015, 03:55 PM
8x AS
2x Second team
4x third team
nba scoring champion

yes he will

he has 3 more elite years to play, so he will get 3 more AS and 1-2 ALL-nba team selections before he will decline.

edit: there are many hofs who have a worse resumee than him

Nash
12-19-2015, 03:57 PM
hell yeah he is

Legends66NBA7
12-19-2015, 03:59 PM
8x AS
2x Second team
4x third team
nba scoring champion

yes he will

he has 3 more elite years to play, so he will get 3 more AS and 1-2 ALL-nba team selections before he will decline.

edit: there are many hofs who have a worse resumee than him

It's also the basketball HOF, so his NCAA title and International medals also count.

There's no reason for him not to make it.

JohnnySic
12-19-2015, 04:02 PM
Yup.

IncarceratedBob
12-19-2015, 04:21 PM
No shit. Multiple gold medals

24-Inch_Chrome
12-19-2015, 04:21 PM
Yes.

Basketball Hall of Fame is weak.

Kblaze8855
12-19-2015, 04:38 PM
He will make it but not quickly. There are like 150 people in as players right now. He wouldnt be the worst......

JimmyMcAdocious
12-19-2015, 04:55 PM
Consider what he achieved in college, Olympics, and in the NBA... No brainier. He will also finish with like 25k points or something. Virtually everyone with 21k+ is or will be in the HOF.

oarabbus
12-19-2015, 05:30 PM
Yup people have to remember its the Basketball hall of fame not NBA hall of fame. NCAA Champ, Olympic medals, he'll make it eventually.

BigTicket
12-19-2015, 05:35 PM
Yes, he'll make it. He's going to retire as a 9-10xAll-star and top 20 Alltime scorer, which will be enough.

The more interesting question is Derick Rose, who I think should not be a HoFer, but every previous MVP has made it.

Kobe_6/8
12-19-2015, 06:20 PM
He's been in league since 2003 but these guys have more MVP shares than him

Durant
Chris Paul
Dwight
Rose
Curry
Harden

:roll:

Smoke117
12-19-2015, 06:22 PM
By how easy it is to get into the hof? Easily.

My own opinion? No. I don't think he ever had the impact season to season to be a hofer.

senelcoolidge
12-19-2015, 06:23 PM
He's one of those borderline guys and not a first ballot guy.

Fire Colangelo
12-19-2015, 06:50 PM
By how easy it is to get into the hof? Easily.

My own opinion? No. I don't think he ever had the impact season to season to be a hofer.

You have some high standards for HOFers then.... because half of the HOFers weren't as impactful as Melo.

BasedTom
12-19-2015, 06:56 PM
Yes, he'll make it. He's going to retire as a 9-10xAll-star and top 20 Alltime scorer, which will be enough.

The more interesting question is Derick Rose, who I think should not be a HoFer, but every previous MVP has made it.
first time for everything

BasedTom
12-19-2015, 07:00 PM
remember people, it's the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Achievement

Locked_Up_Tonight
12-19-2015, 07:04 PM
Derek Rose will be the first to not make the Hall. His resume will be lacking career totals. Wouldn't surprise me if he is out of the league in 5 years.

Draz
12-19-2015, 07:06 PM
Yeah, definitely.

Smoke117
12-19-2015, 07:08 PM
You have some high standards for HOFers then.... because half of the HOFers weren't as impactful as Melo.

His lack of defense and playmaking has always left me underwhelmed. He has zero leadership capabilities too...though it's hard to motivate guys to play defense or be unselfish when you don't play defense and are selfish.

GrapeApe
12-19-2015, 07:09 PM
Of course. He's an all-time great scorer with several all-star and all-NBA selections. Provided he stays healthy he'll end up with monstrous career totals. He hasn't had great team success in the NBA, but he HAS had great success at the college and international levels.

T_L_P
12-19-2015, 07:11 PM
The basketball HoF is so easy to get into. Of course he's going to make it.

Whether he should or not is another question.

Fire Colangelo
12-19-2015, 07:22 PM
His lack of defense and playmaking has always left me underwhelmed. He has zero leadership capabilities too...though it's hard to motivate guys to play defense or be unselfish when you don't play defense and are selfish.

He's underrated as hell, sure he's not a lock down defender but he sure as hell isn't on James Harden level.

As for his leadership, a lot of it is just media made up imo. We as fans don't get to see what's going on inside the locker rooms, everyone leads in a different way.

Is Duncan a good leader? We always here about how MJ/Kobe are good leaders, but Duncan is the exact opposite in terms of personality and leadership style. We always hear how intense KG is about the game, does that mean Duncan isn't?

What makes LeBron or Kobe a good leader? Was Paul Pierce a good leader?

Stuff like that are just media made up, and we don't know who's a good leader and who isn't.

Is Adrian Dantley a good leader? James Worthy? Tmac? Malone? Hakeem? DRob?

The list goes on and on...

It's silly to say that Melo has no impact on the game. Look at his 2013 roster and tell me he had no impact on that Knicks team...

We're talking about someone that's made 10 straight playoffs or something like that, you just don't make the playoffs 10 years in a row and have no impact on the game.

T_L_P
12-19-2015, 07:25 PM
He's underrated as hell, sure he's not a lock down defender but he sure as hell isn't on James Harden level.

As for his leadership, a lot of it is just media made up imo. We as fans don't get to see what's going on inside the locker rooms, everyone leads in a different way.

Is Duncan a good leader? We always here about how MJ/Kobe are good leaders, but Duncan is the exact opposite in terms of personality and leadership style. We always hear how intense KG is about the game, does that mean Duncan isn't?

What makes LeBron or Kobe a good leader? Was Paul Pierce a good leader?

Stuff like that are just media made up, and we don't know who's a good leader and who isn't.

Is Adrian Dantley a good leader? James Worthy? Tmac? Malone? Hakeem? DRob?

The list goes on and on...

It's silly to say that Melo has no impact on the game. Look at his 2013 roster and tell me he had no impact on that Knicks team...

We're talking about someone that's made 10 straight playoffs or something like that, you just don't make the playoffs 10 years in a row and have no impact on the game.

I mean, all we can really go on here is word of mouth, and countless teammates have come out and said Duncan/Garnett/Jordan were great leaders, and a fair few have done the same for Kobe.

Maybe I'm forgetting, but have Melo's teammates come out and done the same? :confusedshrug:

smoovegittar
12-19-2015, 07:41 PM

His leadership and defense is remarkably improved since coming to NY. Nothing to brag about, but your statement is a little unfair. Look at his stats this season... assists and rebounds are up.

Human Error
12-19-2015, 07:44 PM
His leadership and defense is remarkably improved since coming to NY. Nothing to brag about, but your statement is a little unfair. Look at his stats this season... assists and rebounds are up.
Jacking up shots at 41% clip. :facepalm

Fire Colangelo
12-19-2015, 07:46 PM
I mean, all we can really go on here is word of mouth, and countless teammates have come out and said Duncan/Garnett/Jordan were great leaders, and a fair few have done the same for Kobe.

Maybe I'm forgetting, but have Melo's teammates come out and done the same? :confusedshrug:

They're great leaders because they won rings....

All is well when you win, but Carmelo hasn't had a team good enough to do so yet. Now obviously Carmelo isn't in the same breath as those 3 as players, but to dismiss that he's a no impact player without no leader capabilities based on.... nothing?

Has anyone ever come out to say Carmelo was a bad leader?

Not to mention Melo's played with some "cancerous" players in his career. JR Smith comes to mind.

smoovegittar
12-19-2015, 07:49 PM

We're talking about Melo, yes? :rolleyes:

TAZORAC
12-19-2015, 09:32 PM

Carmelo Anthony is one of the 10 greatest pure scorers in the history of the NBA.

references
12-19-2015, 09:34 PM
Carmelo Anthony is one of the 10 greatest pure scorers in the history of the NBA.
what does pure scorer mean? does it mean all they do is score? does it mean they have the biggest offensive repertoire? does it mean they actually provide the best offensive production? melo has a case for the repertoire and that's it

TommyGriffin
12-19-2015, 09:39 PM
I'm a Big Time New Orleans Pelicans fan but I'm also a fan of the Cavaliers as well. Carmelo Anthony will make the Hall of Fame. The player who I am nervous about is LeBron James. Many fans like myself do suspect many NBA athletes have used PED's including LBJ himself. If this ever gets leaked to the public the NBA will be in an extremely tough situation and LeBron will probably end up being excluded from the Hall of Fame.

MellowYellow
12-19-2015, 09:39 PM
He has statistically been one of the best defenders in the league this year and his assist numbers are pretty solid for someone that is considered selfish

dazzer87
12-19-2015, 09:44 PM
HOF = let anyone in nowaday.....

SouBeachTalents
12-19-2015, 09:45 PM
I'm a Big Time New Orleans Pelicans fan but I'm also a fan of the Cavaliers as well. Carmelo Anthony will make the Hall of Fame. The player who I am nervous about is LeBron James. Many fans like myself do suspect many NBA athletes have used PED's including LBJ himself. If this ever gets leaked to the public the NBA will be in an extremely tough situation and LeBron will probably end up being excluded from the Hall of Fame.

Rent free

Human Error
12-19-2015, 09:47 PM
Guys like you tend to think Carmelo Anthony is a better scorer than for instance LeBron James, when LeBron is actually scoring more points on much better efficiency.

By pure scorers, if you mean players who does nothing but score then fine, but overall Carmelo is not a better scorer than guys who put up more points in better efficiency in Kareem, Mailman, MJ, Wilt, Dr J, Shaq, Hakeem, Admiral, Duncan, Ewing, Bird, Dirk, LeBron etc.

24-Inch_Chrome
12-19-2015, 10:26 PM
Rent free
It's his dumbest gimmick yet, at least that Pacers account wasn't just a rehash. :lol

GrapeApe
12-19-2015, 11:16 PM
In giving it some more thought, Melo has a pretty damn good overall resume. He has career averages of 25/7/3 on 55%TS and a 21 PER. His career playoff averages are 26/7/3 with a 20 PER. He's scored over 21,000 points. He has multiple all-star and all-NBA selections, a scoring title, and a run of 10 straight seasons making the playoffs. He's also won an NCAA title and multiple international gold medals. That's easily a first ballot HOF resume imo.

ShaqTwizzle
12-19-2015, 11:20 PM
Porzinga's has already surpassed him.
He can get in after the Zinger.
:pimp:

outbreak
12-20-2015, 12:30 AM
Hell no

SaltyMeatballs
12-20-2015, 12:54 AM
Yeah, he'll get in. If Reggie Miller got in, so will Carmelo

outbreak
12-20-2015, 12:58 AM
Yeah, he'll get in. If Reggie Miller got in, so will Carmelo
Reggie was an iconic personality. Melos most iconic moment is sleeping on the bench and laying on the court during play because he was upset

TripleA
12-20-2015, 01:09 AM
The NBA hall of fame's standards are too low not let a guy like Melo in.
This isn't baseball where you have to be an all time great to get in.

GrapeApe
12-20-2015, 01:42 AM

The baseball analogy is interesting, and their HOF is definitely more exclusive than basketball. However it's highly driven by statistics. There are plenty of baseball HOFers with great stats who didn't win anything. There's also plenty of great hitters who were poor defensively. Melo's 25 ppg career scoring average is probably comparable to a .320 lifetime hitter. His career point total will be comparable to 3,000+ hits. That's a first ballot HOFer in baseball.

dhsilv
12-20-2015, 01:50 AM

Oddly baseball only cares about the regular season and raw numbers, all of which Melo has in spades.

Jameerthefear
12-20-2015, 01:56 AM
huh?

GoSpursGo1984
12-20-2015, 02:06 AM
The baseball analogy is interesting, and their HOF is definitely more exclusive than basketball. However it's highly driven by statistics. There are plenty of baseball HOFers with great stats who didn't win anything. There's also plenty of great hitters who were poor defensively. Melo's 25 ppg career scoring average is probably comparable to a .320 lifetime hitter. His career point total will be comparable to 3,000+ hits. That's a first ballot HOFer in baseball.

In the NBA 25ppg is nothing all you have to do is jack up a lot of shots. There is no comparison between 30000 hits and whatever Carmelo ends up with 3000 hits is extremely rare in baseball in basketball we are seeing more high scoring players look how many players over this era have over 2000 points

Kobe Bryant
Dirk Nowitzki
Tim Duncan
Kevin Garnett
Paul Pierce
Lebron James
Vince Carter
Carmelo Anthony

Here are ones who are close and could get there
Dwyane Wade
Joe Johnson
Paul Gasol
Kevin Durant

We are seeing an era of more players putting up higher career numbers

bdreason
12-20-2015, 02:12 AM
Have ya'll seen who they put in the Basketball HoF? Of course Melo will get in. :facepalm

MellowYellow
12-20-2015, 02:22 AM
In the NBA 25ppg is nothing all you have to do is jack up a lot of shots. There is no comparison between 30000 hits and whatever Carmelo ends up with 3000 hits is extremely rare in baseball in basketball we are seeing more high scoring players look how many players over this era have over 2000 points

Kobe Bryant
Dirk Nowitzki
Tim Duncan
Kevin Garnett
Paul Pierce
Lebron James
Vince Carter
Carmelo Anthony

Dwyane Wade
Joe Johnson
Paul Gasol
Kevin Durant

there is 29 players in the 3000 hit club and melo could very easily end up in the top 10 all time in points

GrapeApe
12-20-2015, 02:27 AM

Kobe Bryant
Dirk Nowitzki
Tim Duncan
Kevin Garnett
Paul Pierce
Lebron James
Vince Carter
Carmelo Anthony

Dwyane Wade
Joe Johnson
Paul Gasol
Kevin Durant

Calling 25 ppg for a career "nothing" is absolutely absurd. Do you know how few players in NBA history average that for a career? It's extremely excusive company. Most of the players you mentioned with high career point totals are all-time greats. If anything it strengthens Melo's case.

Also, there are fewer players in NBA history with Melo's point total than there are baseball players with 3,000 hits. Granted, professional baseball has been played much longer than basketball, but it's still an impressive accomplishment.

deja vu
12-20-2015, 02:28 AM
Borderline HOFer. Won't be first ballot.

72-10
12-20-2015, 11:49 AM
duh

he won't go down as a top 50 player though unless something drastically changes

hitmanyr2k
12-20-2015, 12:01 PM
Borderline HOFer. Won't be first ballot.

Agreed. He'll get in eventually but he shouldn't be first ballot. He should be on that long waiting list.

knickscity
12-20-2015, 02:09 PM
If not first ballot, he certainly would make it if his career ended today.

Players who have done less have made it.

greatest-ever
12-20-2015, 02:38 PM
Will he be a hof'er? Yes.

Should he be? Yes, going by the standards they have set. I mean dude is a 25/6/3 on solid efficiency over a 12 1/2 year career, how is this not HOF caliber? Now with that said, i don't agree with the comments being thrown around that he's a top 10 scorer ever, that's definitely nonsense, or that he's a top 5 scorer of his era, that's equally ludicrous. Of players from just the 2000s and onward, at least these guys are better scorers; Lebron, Kobe, KD, Shaq, Wade, Curry, Dirk, Harden. Paul Pierce and Melo are also pretty comparable as scorers. Ai might even be a better scorer than Melo.

DaOldLion
12-20-2015, 02:49 PM
Carmelo is so underrated on here :oldlol: :oldlol:

24-Inch_Chrome
12-20-2015, 03:19 PM
Winning in baseball is different from winning in basketball though. I think that it's considered more important in terms of Hall of Fame candidacy in basketball because basketball players have much more control over the outcome of a game or series than a baseball player. Winning a championship is still a team accomplishment in basketball but an individual player can do more to work towards that in basketball than they can in baseball imo.

Kobe_6/8
12-20-2015, 05:48 PM
Winning a championship is still a team accomplishment in basketball but an individual player can do more to work towards that in basketball than they can in baseball imo.

Agreed. It's not uncommon for a MLB star to never make the World Series, but every NBA candidate should be part of a deep playoff run.

JellyBean
12-20-2015, 06:24 PM
Yep. Carmelo is a Hall of Famer. His career has been pretty Hall of Fame worthy. If not 1st ballot, gotta be 2nd ballot.

IncarceratedBob
12-20-2015, 10:51 PM
Melo, Bron, Wade and Bosh will all be elected together

el gringos
12-20-2015, 11:53 PM
Melo, Bron, Wade and Bosh will all be elected together
No way wade stays in the league as long as Carmelo or Lebron.

Crazy that there's people questioning if Carmelo will be a hof'er but bosh is?