PDA

View Full Version : Klay Thompson claims he's the best SG in the League

TrueBlue89
12-20-2015, 04:42 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14404850/klay-thompson-golden-state-warriors-names-best-shooting-guard-nba

My God this Warriors team is loaded. :biggums:

Best SG in the League :biggums:
Best PF in the League :biggums:
Best PG in the League :biggums:
2 Top 10 SF's. :biggums:
Top 5 defensive Center :biggums:
Top 2 bench :biggums:

Has any other team in history been this stacked?

lilteapot
12-20-2015, 04:47 PM
yeah the 96 bulls

Spurs m8
12-20-2015, 04:56 PM
yeah the 96 bulls

Afraid to admit Currys help tbh....

SamuraiSWISH
12-20-2015, 04:56 PM
Taking into account defense? He's actually right. Same way when taking into account defense for the small forward position I'd say LeBron and PG13 > KD right now.

TommyGriffin
12-20-2015, 04:57 PM
Big Time Cavaliers fan checking. In here.

Golden State has a fantastic squad but they are matched up pretty tough against our Cavaliers. For one, Kyrie Irving is hands down a better player than Klay Thompson. Kyrie has Steph Curry level handles where Klay Thompson has trouble bringing the ball up the court. They are on different levels when it comes to basketball IQ and Kyrie is an excellent 3 point shooter.

Kyrie has a playoff 3 point percentage of 45%

Klay Thompson has a playoff 3 point percentage of 39%

If you look at the defensive metrics you will see Klay Thompson has been underperforming on the defensive end as well. He is a net negative at that end and has been exposed as an overrated defender in the playoffs, especially against Houston. Klay Thompson's defensive reputation was built off the fact there isn't much competition at the shooting guard position anymore.

So there is literally nothing Klay Thompson does better than Kyrie Irving.

dubeta
12-20-2015, 04:57 PM
no excuses

SamuraiSWISH
12-20-2015, 04:58 PM
Healthy Cavs match up very well and can beat the Warriors

TrueBlue89
12-20-2015, 04:59 PM
Taking into account defense? He's actually right. Same way when taking into account defense for the small forward position I'd say LeBron and PG13 > KD right now.
Agreed.

That's why I'm taking Draymond Green over any PF in the League including Blake, LMA & Davis. When you take into account his elite defense, leadership skills, 3 point shooting & nightly triple double threat he's better than everyone else.

GrapeApe
12-20-2015, 05:13 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14404850/klay-thompson-golden-state-warriors-names-best-shooting-guard-nba

If Klay is the best SG, it is the weakest position in NBA history. In reality only their PG is the best in the league. They do have great all around talent and depth though.

TommyGriffin
12-20-2015, 05:19 PM
Agreed.

That's why I'm taking Draymond Green over any PF in the League including Blake, LMA & Davis. When you take into account his elite defense, leadership skills, 3 point shooting & nightly triple double threat he's better than everyone else.

Draymond Green's career 3 point percentage is 28%

Draymond Green is not a good 3 point shooter. Draymond Green is not a good offensive player.

Steph Curry is basically Steve Nash, we saw what numbers Amare put up when next to Nash, and we saw what numbers he put up when he parted from him. Same thing with Draymond Green. It's plain to see that a majority of Draymond's assists are hockey assists from a Steph Curry double team. A majority of his points come off wide open layups because the floor is so spread due to Curry. No one benefits from Curry more than Draymond Green.

If you take Draymond Green off the Warriors, he becomes an average high energy hustle guy, a Defensive Role Player.

k0kakw0rld
12-20-2015, 05:20 PM

He is straight up

72-10
12-20-2015, 05:21 PM
re. stackedness

96, 97 Bulls, 86 Celtics, 87 Lakers, etc.

imnew09
12-20-2015, 05:22 PM
Draymond Green's career 3 point percentage is 28%

Draymond Green is not a good 3 point shooter. Draymond Green is not a good offensive player.

Steph Curry is basically Steve Nash, we saw what numbers Amare put up when next to Nash, and we saw what numbers he put up when he parted from him. Same thing with Draymond Green. It's plain to see that a majority of Draymond's assists are hockey assists from a Steph Curry double team. A majority of his points come off wide open layups because the floor is so spread due to Curry. No one benefits from Curry more than Draymond Green.

If you take Draymond Green off the Warriors, he becomes an average high energy hustle guy, a Defensive Role Player.

Amare put up great numbers his first years with the Knicks... Injuries fked him over

Fallen Angel
12-20-2015, 05:25 PM
Didn't know Klay was averaging 28/7/6/2/1

warriorfan
12-20-2015, 05:30 PM
Amare put up great numbers his first years with the Knicks... Injuries fked him over

Amare did have great numbers but they were no where near what they were with Nash and the Suns. With Nash he put up 30/10 for a whole playoffs and hung 37 points per game on Tim Duncan's Spurs who had the best defense in the league.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/2005-nba-western-conference-finals-spurs-vs-suns.html

lilteapot
12-20-2015, 05:32 PM

He's also not leading a 14-14 team :lol

GrapeApe
12-20-2015, 05:37 PM

Harden is the probably best SG, but having the highest raw numbers doesn't necessarily make you the best. Factors such as defense, shooting percentages, turnovers, etc......must also be considered. Harden is less than stellar in those areas.

72-10
12-20-2015, 05:42 PM
Harden is the probably best SG, but having the highest raw numbers doesn't necessarily make you the best. Factors such as defense, shooting percentages, turnovers, etc......must also be considered. Harden is less than stellar in those areas.

what about factors such as a Texas three step or getting free throws without actually being fouled?:lol

Golden State plays at a faster pace though don't they?

pastis
12-20-2015, 05:43 PM
im def. not a wade supporter, but cmon, wade is still the best SG in the league.

TrueBlue89
12-20-2015, 05:44 PM
what about factors such as a Texas three step or getting free throws without actually being fouled?:lol

Golden State plays at a faster pace though don't they?
Agreed. Replace Harden with Klay last year and they easily beat the Warriors.

TrueBlue89
12-20-2015, 05:44 PM
im def. not a wade supporter, but cmon, wade is still the best SG in the league. and that just shows how weak the sg spott is today compared to the 00s

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Get out. Wade isn't even Top 3. :lol

dubeta
12-20-2015, 05:46 PM

:applause: :applause:

pastis
12-20-2015, 05:51 PM

its just a damn weak era for sg.

butler, klay, wade? harden?

even the 00s were better at sg despite: injury prone mcgrady, wade, kobe and 39%iversion.

GrapeApe
12-20-2015, 05:52 PM

Wade's minutes are down (as they should be), but among SG's only Harden is producing better on a per-minute basis. He has the 2nd lowest turnover rate of his career and his defense has been solid. I'm not saying he's the best SG, but it's not that crazy to give him a mention. At 34 years old he's still playing very well.

Kawhi
12-20-2015, 05:54 PM
Amare did have great numbers but they were no where near what they were with Nash and the Suns. With Nash he put up 30/10 for a whole playoffs and hung 37 points per game on Tim Duncan's Spurs who had the best defense in the league.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/2005-nba-western-conference-finals-spurs-vs-suns.html
Which is exactly what they wanted. They didn't care about Amar'e getting his. It was Nash who made that team go.

Terahite
12-20-2015, 05:57 PM
Agreed. Replace Harden with Klay last year and they easily beat the Warriors.

Klay couldn't even guard Harden in their playoff matchup. Made Lance Redick look like MJ. :lol

TrueBlue89
12-20-2015, 05:58 PM
Wade's minutes are down (as they should be), but among SG's only Harden is producing better on a per-minute basis. He has the 2nd lowest turnover rate of his career and his defense has been solid. I'm not saying he's the best SG, but it's not that crazy to give him a mention. At 34 years old he's still playing very well.
Yeah. Wade's still a very good player that understands his limitations but the torched has been passed to Klay, Harden & Jimmy.

stalkerforlife
12-20-2015, 05:59 PM
No team is more stacked than the Heat/Cavs for the past 5 seasons or so.

TrueBlue89
12-20-2015, 06:00 PM
its just a damn weak era for sg.

butler, klay, wade? harden?

even the 00s were better at sg despite: injury prone mcgrady, wade, kobe and 39%iversion.
Like the 90s were all that much better than this current era, after MJ it was pretty much a wasteland unless you think the likes of John Starks, Mitch Richmond & Dan Majerle are better than Klay, Butler & Harden. :lol

$LakerGold
12-20-2015, 06:01 PM
That mindset. What else do you want him to say?

"I definitely am not the best SG in the league, James Harden (or player x) is the best SG."

k

$LakerGold
12-20-2015, 06:02 PM
I'd definitely take 2000's era of SG over this era.

TrueBlue89
12-20-2015, 06:02 PM
No team is more stacked than the Heat/Cavs for the past 5 seasons or so.
I'd say the 04, 08-10 & 13 Lakers teams were more stacked than those LeBron reliant Miami Cavs.

stalkerforlife
12-20-2015, 06:05 PM
I'd say the 04, 08-10 & 13 Lakers teams were more stacked than those LeBron reliant Miami Cavs.

It doesn't matter what you say.

You're a moron.

Fudge
12-20-2015, 06:06 PM
Golden Stacked Oreos

Smoke117
12-20-2015, 06:22 PM
It doesn't matter what you say.

You're a moron.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm296/macrosgalore/potmeetkettle.jpg

Fallen Angel
12-20-2015, 06:38 PM
When Klay Thompson single-handedly leads an offense to 50+ wins and a WCF appearance I'll believe he's an elite player.

TAZORAC
12-20-2015, 06:45 PM

Put Klay Thompson on a sorry team and see how great he is.

Thompson is nothing more then a good player on a great team, on par with prime Ginoboli.

r0drig0lac
12-20-2015, 06:49 PM

Thompson is nothing more then a good player on a great team, on par with prime Ginoboli.
lol manu >>>>>>> >>>>>>>> klay

Fudge
12-20-2015, 06:50 PM
Well, he isn't on one.

He's on a historically stacked and great championship team, with possibly the best offensive arsenal from a SG since prime T-Mac.

Quit being dumb. Dude is easily the best SG in the league.

ArbitraryWater
12-20-2015, 06:50 PM
Manu >>>> Klay

Papaya Petee
12-20-2015, 07:07 PM
Wade plays like 28MPG and he's still the best SG in the NBA. Easily the best 4th quarter SG in the league.

GrapeApe
12-20-2015, 07:52 PM
Wade plays like 28MPG and he's still the best SG in the NBA. Easily the best 4th quarter SG in the league.

I don't know if he's the best, but as I mentioned earlier his per-minute production is stll outstanding. He's also played in 25/26 games. I agree with your last sentence 100%. There's no SG I'd rather have in the 4th quarter. He can't do it for 38+ minutes anymore, but in the 4th quarter he's still the best SG in the league.

Cleverness
12-20-2015, 08:04 PM
I love Klay Thompson, but James Harden is the best SG in the league.

Nash
12-20-2015, 08:15 PM
also best interim coach in the history of the game

bdreason
12-20-2015, 09:01 PM
A top 5 SG thinks he's the best SG in the league... shocking.

Prime_Shaq
12-20-2015, 11:49 PM
Well, he isn't on one.

He's on a historically stacked and great championship team, with possibly the best offensive arsenal from a SG since prime T-Mac.

Quit being dumb. Dude is easily the best SG in the league.
Not even close...

Cosmonaut
12-21-2015, 12:07 AM
Yes Klay is the best bird fed SG in the league

72-10
12-21-2015, 12:07 AM
When Klay Thompson single-handedly leads an offense to 50+ wins and a WCF appearance I'll believe he's an elite player.

Dwight's not a great offensive player but I'm pretty sure having him helps.

Fallen Angel
12-21-2015, 12:12 AM
Dwight's not a great offensive player but I'm pretty sure having him helps.
he had career lows in ppg, rpg, and bpg while only playing 41 games

72-10
12-21-2015, 12:17 AM
admittedly i did not check last year's specifics, but what about the fact that he's consistently one of the best in field goal percentage and offensive rebounding?

72-10
12-21-2015, 12:26 AM
Anyways Harden was not good in the playoffs and Dwight was very good

Fallen Angel
12-21-2015, 12:32 AM
Anyways Harden was not good in the playoffs and Dwight was very good
Check Harden's playoff averages from last season

sd3035
12-21-2015, 12:36 AM
When Klay is on, he's about as good as Curry at shooting. Curry is much more consistent though, and can score in more ways

ISHGoat
12-21-2015, 12:38 AM
In b4 Igoudala claims that Klay is better at his position than Steph at his :roll:

72-10
12-21-2015, 12:39 AM
Harden had one playoff game with 12 turnovers (NBA record) and another with 9. He had 35 turnovers in the seven-game series against the Clippers. That gets him in the record books as well. Just look at his turnovers in his game log, it's hard to say that someone is doing well when they have that many. Btw it's odd how they either won big or lost big against the Clippers.

Fallen Angel
12-21-2015, 01:00 AM
There's way way way more to the game than turnovers.

Harden averaged 28.4 ppg | 7.8 rpg | 6.4 apg | 0.6 bpg | 2.4 spg in 40 mpg shooting 47%/43%/87% against the Warriors even with his bad Game 5.

Harden killed the Mavericks in the first round. The only bad series he had was the Clippers series where he shot like shit, and yet he still averaged 25/8/5.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/hardeja01/gamelog/2015/

72-10
12-21-2015, 01:19 AM
I'm not saying he was bad I'm just saying he wasn't good

His 77 turnovers last postseason were the second most ever by a player who did not make the Finals, trailing Russell Westbrook's 83 in 2014

72-10
12-21-2015, 01:21 AM
It's true that Harden carried them into the playoffs, but he did not carry them in playoffs.

wordsRweapons
12-21-2015, 01:43 AM
He's also not leading a 14-14 team :lol

he's not a team leader, not even close, is that better?

GrapeApe
12-21-2015, 02:51 AM
There's way way way more to the game than turnovers.

Harden averaged 28.4 ppg | 7.8 rpg | 6.4 apg | 0.6 bpg | 2.4 spg in 40 mpg shooting 47%/43%/87% against the Warriors even with his bad Game 5.

Harden killed the Mavericks in the first round. The only bad series he had was the Clippers series where he shot like shit, and yet he still averaged 25/8/5.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/hardeja01/gamelog/2015/

Harden has the ball in his hands a lot, so turnovers will happen. Any primary ball handler and scorer, be it Jordan, Lebron, Wade, Kobe, etc.... is going to turn the ball over. That being said, for Harden to take the next step and become a truly great player he has to take better care of the ball. The gaudy raw numbers are partially offset when you are costing your team 5+ possessions per game. Turning the ball over at that rate can amount to a double digit point swing.

sundizz
12-21-2015, 03:03 AM
Harden's peak potential is like a prime Wade/Kobe whereas Klay's peak potential is pretty much where he is at now.

He doesn't have the innate athleticism, creativity, and ball handling flair to be better than who he is. He is best comparison/peak is to be a modern day Chris Mullin.

He's the ultimate #2 or #3 on a team though. His style of plays complements superstars really well because he is a 10/10 good catch and shoot player. And he can occasionally do more than that. However, as the #1 option on a team he would have decent stats but struggle because he is not the game manager,nor does he have the potential to be, of a Harden, Curry, Bron, KD etc.

No shame in that. Just reality.

The only thing that makes him and Harden close is that Harden is a man child (as you can tell from his commercial). If Harden could actually be coached and wasn't a ball dominating, stat stuffing idiot he could easily be amazing impact wise every game. He has that type of idon'tmindifmyteamsjuststandaround game of young Lebron that isn't conducive to winning in the playoffs.

!@#$%Vectors!@#
12-21-2015, 03:06 AM
Harden's peak potential is like a prime Wade/Kobe whereas Klay's peak potential is pretty much where he is at now.

He doesn't have the innate athleticism, creativity, and ball handling flair to be better than who he is. He is best comparison/peak is to be a modern day Chris Mullin.

He's the ultimate #2 or #3 on a team though. His style of plays complements superstars really well because he is a 10/10 good catch and shoot player. And he can occasionally do more than that. However, as the #1 option on a team he would have decent stats but struggle because he is not the game manager,nor does he have the potential to be, of a Harden, Curry, Bron, KD etc.

The only thing that makes him and Harden close is that Harden is a man child (as you can tell from his commercial). If Harden could actually be coached and wasn't a ball dominating, stat stuffing idiot he could easily be amazing impact wise every game. He has that type of idon'tmindifmyteamsjuststandaround game of young Lebron that isn't conducive to winning in the playoffs.

So you're telling me Klay can make the Hof?
:D :D :D

GrapeApe
12-21-2015, 03:46 AM

I agree that Harden has a higher ceiling than Klay, but I don't see him ever reaching the level of Kobe and Wade. He's still seriously lacking an in-between game and he'll never be the defensive player those guys were in their prime. You also alluded to concerns about his competetive drive and leadership.

Klay is definitely not a lead guard type player imo. He's not a great ball handler, passer, or playmaker, and he's not explosive off the dribble. He moves well without the ball, is an excellent shooter, and is a good defender. Those are great skills to have as a 2nd/3rd option on a chamionship level team.

DOUBLE DRIBBLE
12-21-2015, 06:02 AM
Which is exactly what they wanted. They didn't care about Amar'e getting his. It was Nash who made that team go.
:facepalm

What they wanted? lol why were they constantly double teaming him then? It's evident they couldn't stop him. He attempted 51 free throws... Constant double teams and fouling him constantly... Yea seems legit that they didn't care about him getting his... Although they threw everything but the kitchen sink at him desperately trying to stop him.:wtf:

bizil
12-21-2015, 03:37 PM
In the two way sense, he's right! In general, I think Harden is the best SG in the L. But if it's two-way criteria, Klay and Butler are the top two SG's in the L. But as good as these guys are, The guys like MJ, Kobe, Wade, and West had the TRUE TOTAL PACKAGE. In every phase of the game (scoring, passing, defense, rebounding their position,) they are great. This SG era isn't nearly as epic as the Golden Era 2000s SG era.

Achilleas
12-21-2015, 03:54 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CWw-wJWUEAALwqT.png:large

i like you klay but you are not the best,top 5 yes,

Papaya Petee
12-21-2015, 04:15 PM

No not even close

Marv_Albert
12-21-2015, 04:19 PM
Harden, Wade > Klay

Dude starts to hit a few shots and he think's hes the man...?

Papaya Petee
12-21-2015, 04:24 PM
Harden, Wade > Klay

Dude starts to hit a few shots and he think's hes the man...?
Hey man averaging 19\3\2 does that to you.

GrapeApe
12-21-2015, 05:10 PM
No not even close

Harden's offensive production is close, but he's nowhere near in terms of defense. It's highly unlikely Harden will ever be the kind of two-way player that Wade and Kobe were, and you're not reaching their level without being great on both ends of the floor. Harden has improved his defense to some degree, but at Harden's current age Wade and Kobe were already elite defenders.

!@#$%Vectors!@#
12-21-2015, 05:31 PM
Hey man averaging 19\3\2 does that to you.

look beyond stats and boxscore. If u don't know how effective and pivotal Klay is to GS then you don't watch the games. He is a 2-way player who at times looks elite on defense regardless of the stupid fouls he commits. Haren is a one way player. Dwane is a FT machine, Jimmy gets to shoot as much as he wants.

I'm not saying he is the best but watching boxscores is not a good way to judge a player. I say that Klay is tied with Jimmy. But I would take Klay/Jimmy over Haren as a 2nd/3rd option any day.

Smoke117
12-21-2015, 05:43 PM
look beyond stats and boxscore. If u don't know how effective and pivotal Klay is to GS then you don't watch the games. He is a 2-way player who at times looks elite on defense regardless of the stupid fouls he commits. Haren is a one way player. Dwane is a FT machine, Jimmy gets to shoot as much as he wants.

I'm not saying he is the best but watching boxscores is not a good way to judge a player. I say that Klay is tied with Jimmy. But I would take Klay/Jimmy over Haren as a 2nd/3rd option any day.

...Wade averages 4.3fta's on 16.1 shot attempts. :facepalm Nice fail.

GrapeApe
12-21-2015, 06:00 PM
look beyond stats and boxscore. If u don't know how effective and pivotal Klay is to GS then you don't watch the games. He is a 2-way player who at times looks elite on defense regardless of the stupid fouls he commits. Haren is a one way player. Dwane is a FT machine,Jimmy gets to shoot as much as he wants.

Wade is only averaging 4.3 FTA per game, the lowest of his career.

I agree though that box scores don't tell the whole story, and Klay has a case for being better than his raw production. Klay might be the best SG in the league relative to his role, but I think Harden, Wade, and Butler are better players. It's tough to compare guys who have different roles. Does being a 1st option automatically mean a player is better than a 2nd/3rd option? Obviously not, and that's part of the subjectivity of ranking players.

Dro
12-21-2015, 06:03 PM
The position's kind've weak to be honest. I'd honestly probably go with Jimmy Butler because he plays both ends, even though he's a bit overrated himself. Harden and Klay are both overrated. Harden is WAY overrated...

warriorfan
12-21-2015, 07:08 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CWw-wJWUEAALwqT.png:large

i like you klay but you are not the best,top 5 yes,

I always talk about the Curry Effect. You peeps think I'm fuccing around or something but it is a real and tangible thing.

Inferno
12-21-2015, 07:19 PM
I like the confidence :pimp:

Rocketswin2013
12-21-2015, 08:25 PM
Same as last year. Harden then Butler, Wade and Thompson competing for #2.

BasedTom
12-21-2015, 08:52 PM
Same as last year. Harden then Butler, Wade and Thompson competing for #2.
:yaohappy:

TrueBlue89
12-31-2015, 09:58 AM
:lol

StephHamann
12-31-2015, 09:59 AM
Matthews dominated Klay the entire game, and Matthews was also missing his starting point guard in Deron Williams.

VengefulAngel
12-31-2015, 10:24 AM
So bloody inconsistent.

BigTicket
12-31-2015, 10:27 AM
Jokes aside, Harden is still the best SG, and Butler is clearly 2nd best, so Thompson is 3rd at best.

SG is a fairly weak position at the moment though, so 3rd is not that impressive. PG and SF are both MUCH stronger.