PDA

View Full Version : GSW are not stacked, it's called Great Team Chemistry

zizozain
12-25-2015, 09:13 PM
no stat-padders
no selfishness
no inferior conflict
no mental weakness

How Golden State went from a title team to a forever team, and how Curry went from a star player to a legacy player, is an outgrowth of the dynamic Steve Kerr implemented and Susie Walton recognized. Executives would call it a culture, but it's freer, looser, more ethereal and more fun. "A community," says one Warriors coach. "A consortium," adds another. "There's a show, a flash, a vibe," continues a third. "It's a space," explains Bruce Fraser, Kerr's close friend and a Golden State player development coach, "where plants that were potted can grow." "It's a flow," clarifies small forward Andre Iguodala, invoking a hip-hop term, "with a cadence, a rhythm, a boom, boom, boom. We understand." But how in the world can anybody else? "I don't envy you," says special assistant Nick U'Ren. "It's a very hard thing to define."

If you can't articulate this mystic force, maybe you can find someone who embodies it.

This story appears in the December 21, 2015, issue of SPORTS ILLUSTRATED. To subscribe, click here.

For more than 20 years Susie Walton has conducted parenting seminars across San Diego County, teaching anxious young mothers and fathers how to raise children in what she calls a democratic household. "Everybody works in cooperation," Susie explains. "Everybody shares mutual respect. There are leaders, but the leaders don't use the heavy hand, as they would in an autocratic society. Kids take on greater responsibility, not because they'll get in trouble if they don't, but because they are given greater freedom. And isn't that the whole point, preparing them to take on responsibility when you're not there?"

The seminar, called The Joy of Parenting, lasts eight to 10 hours and has spread to schools and businesses throughout Southern California. Some elements have remained the same for two decades, but recently Susie began to incorporate what she believes is the purest example of a democratic household. "Watch the Warriors," she tells her classes. "Whether they're ahead or behind, whether they have five fouls or no fouls, they don't have coaches going crazy. They don't get on each other's case. They play through the mistakes. They keep the joy. That's what you want in a family."

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/12/17/golden-state-warriors-stephen-curry-luke-walton-steve-kerr#

FKAri
12-25-2015, 09:21 PM
True. But not one aside from maybe the Spurs have such talented role players. I hate top heavy teams. I love deep teams where everyone can do more than one thing well.

nba_55
12-26-2015, 03:05 PM
If you got a coach who can implent that good of a system and players who are smart enough understand and apply the system, then you are stacked.

bdreason
12-26-2015, 03:17 PM
MVP level PG.
Top 5 SG.
Top 5 PF.
All-Star level 6th man.

Stacked + Great Chemistry = 28-1

TrueBlue89
12-26-2015, 03:21 PM
MVP level PG.
Top 5 SG.
Top 5 PF.
All-Star level 6th man.

Exactly. In what way is that not stacked not to mention they have elite defenders everywhere.

There isn't another team in the League that has 3 Top 5 players in their respective positions to go along with the best bench in the League

bigt
12-26-2015, 06:10 PM
Why are people so against having their team called 'stacked' anyways, outside of trying to prop up their favourite player? Warriors are stacked because their front office did a damn good job, and the coaching staff did a damn good job to improve the players the front office acquired. Doesn't mean they don't have a bunch of great players right now.

Be happy, I'd love for the Celtics to be stacked right now :oldlol:

clipps
12-26-2015, 06:18 PM
I'd love for the Clippers to be stacked. Wait a minute, they are. Doc's just a ****ing moron.

WorldWarriors
12-26-2015, 06:20 PM
I guess stacked used to mean proven Superstars going to an already good team. As in "Stacking the deck". I'm not talking about LEBRON going to the Heat. More like Karl Malone and Gary Payton joining Championship Lakers Shaw and Kobe or Barkley joining Championship Rockets Hakeem and Drexler. But I guess you can call Warriors stacked since they have drafted well and put together a championship team. I don't know if I would call them stacked since you never know how things will turn out with this things.

DMAVS41
12-26-2015, 07:17 PM
It's clearly both...hell, half their team was lottery picks. Let's tap the brakes on ignoring the talent level here.

And, they get more out of the individuals because of the great chemistry.

Mr. Jabbar
12-26-2015, 07:28 PM
I call it SALT :lol

Smoke117
12-26-2015, 07:32 PM
So...the fact that they are by the most talented team 1-12 doesn't make them stacked?...Maybe you have a different definition of stacked than 99% of other people?

tpols
12-26-2015, 07:43 PM
So...the fact that they are by the most talented team 1-12 doesn't make them stacked?...Maybe you have a different definition of stacked than 99% of other people?

It's a combo man.. they're stacked, but still an extension of the popovich system and style. They're just coordinated perfectly top down

Smoke117
12-26-2015, 07:46 PM
It's a combo man.. they're stacked, but still an extension of the popovich system and style. They're just coordinated perfectly.

Look how lucky they are though...Shaun Livingston? A guy nobody thought would ever do anything again has a career resurgence and it's on the Warriors of all teams...lol. They may have signed some players that weren't too high atm like Bogut...but they resurged. They are the most talented team in the league, period. Another word for that? Stacked. Saying they are stacked isn't wrong because it upsets people. Facts are facts whether people like them or not.

DMAVS41
12-26-2015, 07:48 PM
Look how lucky they are though...Shaun Livingston? A guy nobody thought would ever do anything again has a career resurgence and it's on the Warriors of all teams...lol. They may have signed some players that weren't too high atm like Bogut...but they resurged. They are the most talented team in the league, period. Another word for that? Stacked. Saying they are stacked isn't wrong because it upsets people. Facts are facts whether people like them or not.

He just agreed that they are stacked, but he also is rightfully pointing out that the combination of players/system is maximizing their value/impact as players.

What more do you want?

tpols
12-26-2015, 07:53 PM

I think it's because a lot of people don't think guys like steph curry would be as good if they were drafted to the bobcats.. might be another "bust" injury prone and all to start he may have never risen to the heights he did with GS. Or Drayton being a top 10 player.. they have literally turned late round picks into bona-fide stars and legends even. The culture and development of that team has made guys that shouldn't be as highly ranked as they are as highly ranked as they are.

As far as Livingston goes, he was awesome on the nets. And is a very methodical intelligent player.. it's no surprise he'd thrive in a smart team system

Giaodollo
12-26-2015, 10:02 PM

Everyone was talking about how great of a backup Shaun livingston was in Brooklyn, people were also calling for him to take over the starting spot from Deron. His career resurgence happened before he came to GS and not after. And he was heavily recruited. But he was like their only free agency pick up.

Bogut hasn't become a better player than he was in Milwaukee, he is the same Bogut, that is carrying lesser of a load.

They are stacked, but they are stacked because they are together. Because of the system. You put Mark Jackson here and I don't think they make it to the finals. They only difference between Gsw last year and they year before, was Green taking over the starting spot and Shaun Livingston becoming the sixth man. I know people love to say that coaches doesn't matter, but they do, if the players buy in to the system, if they execute it and believe in it. Like Golden State did with Kerr.

KyrieTheFuture
12-26-2015, 10:37 PM
I think it's because a lot of people don't think guys like steph curry would be as good if they were drafted to the bobcats.. might be another "bust" injury prone and all to start he may have never risen to the heights he did with GS. Or Drayton being a top 10 player.. they have literally turned late round picks into bona-fide stars and legends even. The culture and development of that team has made guys that shouldn't be as highly ranked as they are as highly ranked as they are.

As far as Livingston goes, he was awesome on the nets. And is a very methodical intelligent player.. it's no surprise he'd thrive in a smart team system
Drayton? You ****in serious?

WorldWarriors
12-26-2015, 11:18 PM
Everyone was talking about how great of a backup Shaun livingston was in Brooklyn, people were also calling for him to take over the starting spot from Deron. His career resurgence happened before he came to GS and not after. And he was heavily recruited. But he was like their only free agency pick up.

Bogut hasn't become a better player than he was in Milwaukee, he is the same Bogut, that is carrying lesser of a load.

They are stacked, but they are stacked because they are together. Because of the system. You put Mark Jackson here and I don't think they make it to the finals. They only difference between Gsw last year and they year before, was Green taking over the starting spot and Shaun Livingston becoming the sixth man. I know people love to say that coaches doesn't matter, but they do, if the players buy in to the system, if they execute it and believe in it. Like Golden State did with Kerr.
Actually Harrison Barnes took the starting spot over Andre. Green took over from D Lee.

dhsilv
12-26-2015, 11:28 PM
It's clearly both...hell, half their team was lottery picks. Let's tap the brakes on ignoring the talent level here.

And, they get more out of the individuals because of the great chemistry.

Bogut 1st pick
Curry 7th pick
Rush 14th pick
Barnes 7th pick
Klay 11th pick
Ezeli 30th pick
Thompson 12th pick
Iguodala 9th pick
Livingston 4th pick
Speights 16th pick
McAdoo undrafted
Looney 30th pick
Green 35th pick
Barbosa 28th pick
Clark undrafted

Holy crap! 3 guys of the 21 players who've been on their roster weren't 1st round picks and one of them is Green! That's insane! The lottery picks speak for themselves in bold.

WorldWarriors
12-27-2015, 12:04 AM
Bogut 1st pick
Curry 7th pick
Rush 14th pick
Barnes 7th pick
Klay 11th pick
Ezeli 30th pick
Thompson 12th pick
Iguodala 9th pick
Livingston 4th pick
Speights 16th pick
McAdoo undrafted
Looney 30th pick
Green 35th pick
Barbosa 28th pick
Clark undrafted

Holy crap! 3 guys of the 21 players who've been on their roster weren't 1st round picks and one of them is Green! That's insane! The lottery picks speak for themselves in bold.Seeing this list makes me smile for reasons other than the thread topic. Finally out of all the years of sucking. Warriors probably have had more first round draft picks than most NBA teams seeing that they have been in the lottery more times than in the playoffs in the last 20 plus years.

SyRyanYang
12-27-2015, 12:24 AM
MVP level PG.
Top 5 SG.
Top 5 PF.
All-Star level 6th man.

Who exactly is that I wonder

Giaodollo
12-27-2015, 12:39 AM
Actually Harrison Barnes took the starting spot over Andre. Green took over from D Lee.

Yeah, Green took over from Lee, and then they just switched Iggy to the sicth man role and put Barnes in as a starter.

Who exactly is that I wonder

Really? the man who got the FMVP, maybe?

tpols
12-27-2015, 12:56 AM
Drayton? You ****in serious?

:roll:

shouldve wrote Draytron.. he's a robot.

LBJMVP
12-27-2015, 12:58 AM
golden state is pretty stacked.

not to say cleveland isn't.

but come on.... that team has a pretty f*ckin good roster.

even shaun livingston was goin off yesterday. don't know why we ever let him go.

zizozain
12-27-2015, 01:19 PM
glad we all agree

PsychoBe
12-27-2015, 01:31 PM

this. if bran had this team with david blatt coaching he would commit senpukku :roll: :roll: :roll: