PDA

View Full Version : Meal prep ideas

verylegit
12-28-2015, 09:52 PM
Anyone prepare their meals ahead of time? Specifically those are pursuing weight loss or weight gain?

Been looking at youtube videos, but some of these people are too lavish. I'm an average cook, not chef Ramsey :lol

I'm aware of the 3 macronutrients: protein, carbs and fat.

My shopping list:
Whole Milk
Chicken breast
Eggs
Veggies - looking at going to a farmers market and picking up veggies there

hateraid
12-28-2015, 10:26 PM
Flax seed oil
Avacodo
Red peppers
Brown rice/ Red Thai rice (more nutrients)
Broccoli
Pepper for seasoning

verylegit
12-28-2015, 10:27 PM
Flax seed oil
Avacodo
Red peppers
Brown rice/ Red Thai rice (more nutrients)
Broccoli
Pepper for seasoning
In your opinion, is red thai rice more tastier?

hateraid
12-28-2015, 10:33 PM
In your opinion, is red thai rice more tastier?

Rice is bland either way. What I would do is instead of flax seed oil, use coconut oil and mix in the avocado. But the choice is based on nutrients not taste. White to me is the best but too starchy. You can use parbroil which will have less starch. Black rice is the most nutrient dense but so expensive

outbreak
12-28-2015, 10:44 PM
I don't pre prepare meals but i pre plan what i'm making for the next few days usually. Easy things to keep on hand are chicken breast and some marinades\herbs to grill it with and some of the quick heat up rice cups of whatever rice you like. Maybe some of the steam bag vegies too if you are going for a quick meal and don't want to cook your own. We will do things like make a slow cooker stew and freeze some though for through out the week when we cbf cooking. Preparing your own meals isn't hard if you plan what you are doing ahead.

verylegit
12-28-2015, 11:04 PM
Thanks guys.

Going to the gym is the easy part, the nutrition, which is the most important part, is also the most difficult.

outbreak
12-28-2015, 11:05 PM
Thanks guys.

Going to the gym is the easy part, the nutrition, which is the most important part, is also the most difficult.
it's easy once you get in the hang of it though. So long as you avoid buying bad food at the shops and so long as you keep picking up vegetabes/meat you'll fall in to a habit of making good meals.

verylegit
12-28-2015, 11:08 PM
it's easy once you get in the hang of it though. So long as you avoid buying bad food at the shops and so long as you keep picking up vegetabes/meat you'll fall in to a habit of making good meals.
I cant tell you how many times I've but bags of brown rice and only cooked it once and left the rest untouched. I'm sure if i look hard enough I'll find a 50 kilo bag of rice from costco :lol

This time I'm dedicated tho, i have to do it. It's not even an option anymore.

knickballer
12-28-2015, 11:32 PM
Beans(all kinds) and rice should be your staples. Beans are loaded with fiber, great source of protein, good source of carbs, they last forever and they taste good. Pre-cooking a batch of rice and beans can last you the week and for your meal you can just eat that rice/beans with chicken. All you have to do is quickly cook the chicken sautee it with onions and flavor. Try to make the chicken a bit saucy so you can put the chicken over the rice or beans, then boom you have a nice meal. You can also have a poverty chipotle bowl where you mix the beans/rice, add some vegetables, add w/e and eat it with some chips. Be innovative with it.

I have my breakfast for work on the lockdown and it's extremely simple. Every night I soak(with milk) in a serving size of Bobs organic oatmeal(I think it's around 50grams?), a table spoon of crushed flax seed, a table spoon of chia seeds, sometimes I'll add walnuts and I'll add a banana when I'm ready to eat it in the morning. Takes around half a minute to prepare and you get more than half your days worth of fiber in that small meal itself. Not to mention the flax/chia seeds are great for you in cleaning out your system and it has many benefits. It might not be loaded with protein but if you really want to be creative just add a scoop of protein powder with it, you can put in a scoop of peanut butter or w/e. You'll be shitting your brains out :cheers:

gigantes
12-29-2015, 12:25 AM
rice, milk and chicken is stuff that i rarely eat because of the related health-problems. i realise you're only talking about weight-loss (right?), but as long as you're doing the one, what about eating a more healthy diet across the board?

yo if that's cool, i got some suggestifications--

for rice-- consider going brown or replacing it with whole grains... like quinoa, steel-cut oats, wheat-berries, barley etc. you'll get much more fibre (which greatly helps protect you from colon cancer) and you'll get more nutrients based on the way our bodies have evolved to absorb nutrients. (as a process, not as a vitamin pill or processed grain)

for milk-- it's an animal product, which science keeps suggesting is stuff which ages us faster and degrades our health. consider alts such as rice, almond, soy if you really need milk. (i know i do... i LOVE milk)

for chicken / animal flesh-- from what i've read, the fresher and more whole meat is, the better our bodies digest it. but the more we process it and preserve it, the opposite is true. from what i've read, the quickest and most usual way your body will reject that shit is via a cancer diagnosis. don't eat pepperoni, stupid!!

keeping down the kardashians (i mean, calories):

DON'T eat processed grains whenever possible. i.e., bread, pasta, crackers, cookies, etc. YEAH that's almost impossible for us, but at the same time, you are basically trading your health for something that briefly entertained your taste-buddies... word to the wise.

AVOID sugar at all costs. this is probably the #1 health-killer on its own. examples, mofo? PROBLEMS such as #2 diabetes, heart - cardio issues, joint issues / lack of energy, early arthritis and all kinds of problems with you overloading your body so early with spiked glucose.

anyway... i do my best. seasons greetings, y'all.

KyrieTheFuture
12-29-2015, 01:19 AM
Breakfast - 3 Harboiled eggs

Lunch - Grilled chicken breast with grilled asparagus

Dinner - Protein shake

That is my routine at least. Weekends I usually eat chipotle, and my cheat day consists of beer and wings for football.
That's like 1200 calories, maybe

verylegit
12-29-2015, 01:23 AM

Dinner - Protein shake

That is my routine at least. Weekends I usually eat chipotle, and my cheat day consists of beer and wings for football.
Its a good routine except it seems too little, how much you weigh bro?

Any snacks in between? Like the other poster said, it sounds a rad bit over 1000 calories a day, idk if I could do wel with that energy wise.

KyrieTheFuture
12-29-2015, 01:24 AM
Its a good routine except it seems too little, how much you weigh bro?

Any snacks in between? Like the other poster said, it sounds a rad bit over 1000 calories a day, idk if I could do wel with that energy wise.
If you also go to the gym it is legitimately dangerous to eat that little

fsvr54
12-29-2015, 01:25 AM
That's like 1200 calories, maybe

Less, unless that shake is loaded

KyrieTheFuture
12-29-2015, 01:28 AM
Less, unless that shake is loaded
That's why I put maybe, but even if it's a full meal shake it's not enough. He's also not getting nearly enough different vitamins and nutrients if he really only eats those things.

verylegit
12-29-2015, 01:29 AM
If you also go to the gym it is legitimately dangerous to eat that little
I've done as low as 1000 cals when i needed to shred for a wedding since i had a fitted suit already bought. Worked out in the end but i cn tell you at 1000 cals a day, i was so low on energy there was no way I could workout.

hateraid
12-29-2015, 01:34 AM

Dinner - Protein shake

3 hard boiled eggs roughly 24 grams of protein x 4 = 96 calories + 20 calories for the yolk

Chicken breast roughly 35 grams of protein x 4 equals 140 calories plus maybe a extra 80 calories for the asparagus

Protein shake depending which one I would say a max 320 calories, but considering your meal plan I'd think you were taking an isolate so 140 tops.

That's between 476 - 756 calories.

That is extremely low. I take it you're trying to lose weight, but damn!

hateraid
12-29-2015, 01:39 AM
I am actually trying to lose weight, not gain weight. I am 6 foot, 185lbs, trying to cut it down a bit. I do not go to the gym, I usually go for a run when i get home from work, and have bench press weights at my house, which I do A few sets.

I usually have some snacks, like a granola bar between breakfast - lunch

You better snack. That meal plan of yours looks too unrealistic. You'd be so low in blood sugar you'd be in danger of becoming diabetic if you kept that up. That's even less than a dieter prepping for a contest

verylegit
12-29-2015, 01:39 AM
I am actually trying to lose weight, not gain weight. I am 6 foot, 185lbs, trying to cut it down a bit. I do not go to the gym, I usually go for a run when i get home from work, and have bench press weights at my house, which I do A few sets.

Usually what has worked for me in the past is to find my BMR, that basically estimateds how many calories your body is burning a day, using that, you subtract 500 calories and that should be your aim for the day. It's slower than drastically reducing your daily calories, but its the right way to do it and the results will last.

TripleA
12-29-2015, 02:07 AM
Yam/sweet potatoes
Turkey/chicken/tuna
Broccoli/other cooked greens
Mixed nuts
That's what I make for my lunch or after workout meal

I just get a bulk bag of sweet potatoes that lasts me 3 months and I am set.

verylegit
12-29-2015, 02:08 AM
Yam/sweet potatoes
Turkey/chicken/tuna
Broccoli/other cooked greens
Mixed nuts
That's what I make for my lunch or after workout meal

I just get a bulk bag of sweet potatoes that lasts me 3 months and you am set.
You bake em in the oven??

TripleA
12-29-2015, 02:11 AM
You bake em in the oven??
No I boil them on a stove and mash them up and put some salt and pepper

KyrieTheFuture
12-29-2015, 02:15 AM
Boil em, mash em, stick em in a stew?!

TripleA
12-29-2015, 02:17 AM

https://appsmalta.com/apps/maggi-iframe/img/graphic_meal_soJuicy_sweetPotatoMashAndSauteedPakC hoi.jpg
Something like this

verylegit
12-29-2015, 02:19 AM
https://appsmalta.com/apps/maggi-iframe/img/graphic_meal_soJuicy_sweetPotatoMashAndSauteedPakC hoi.jpg
Something like this
That looks good!

Sprinkle some paprika on then

macmac
12-29-2015, 07:47 AM
I'm useless in the kitchen. When I cut weight, I eat greek yogurt with berries and one spoon of organic peanut butter maybe once or twice a day. Also pack myself a half a cup of mix nuts like unsalted almonds, Brazil nuts, pumpkins seeds and dried Goji berries to snack on during the day. That's about 800 calories between the yogurt and the nuts and then I grab a 200 cal protein shake and a main meal that's about 600-900 cals, usually chicken or fish with veggies and rice like a chipotle bowl, or two, and I call it a day.

Akrazotile
12-29-2015, 07:56 AM
I'm useless in the kitchen. When I cut weight, I eat greek yogurt with berries and one spoon of organic peanut butter maybe once or twice a day. Also pack myself a half a cup of mix nuts like unsalted almonds, Brazil nuts, pumpkins seeds and dried Goji berries to snack on during the day. That's about 800 calories between the yogurt and the nuts and then I grab a 200 cal protein shake and a main meal that's about 600-900 cals, usually chicken or fish with veggies and rice like a chipotle bowl, or two, and I call it a day.

Can I interest you in a bumper sticker?

macmac
12-29-2015, 07:59 AM
Can I interest you in a bumper sticker?

I'll bite. What's it Gonna say?

Akrazotile
12-29-2015, 08:03 AM
I'll bite. What's it Gonna say?

http://s7.postimg.org/92ntpuol7/Boycott_PCofficialsticker.jpg

It's a message about free speech, and free thought.

The idea isn't that anyone's trying to purposely insult anyone, although sometimes that happens and people have the right to do it. The idea is about having an open dialogue where every person can throw their idea in the hat, or explain their idea without having to be bogged down in linguistic tapdancing to avoid being chastised. It's about accepting that we've all got different views, and we don't need to coerce a common perspective from every person.

It's about purposeful, meaningful progress, rather than simply change for the sake of change.

It's about you.

It's about me.

And it's about time.

macmac
12-29-2015, 08:12 AM
While I agree with the overall sentiment of your message and am completely bewildered by this wave of self censorship, I don't feel strongly enough about it to put cheap glue on my Porshe.

Also, unless the stickers are edible and low in cals, I'm not sure how this fits in with the topic at hand.

Akrazotile
12-29-2015, 08:25 AM
While I agree with the overall sentiment of your message and am completely bewildered by this wave of self censorship, I don't feel strongly enough about it to put cheap glue on my Porshe.

:wtf:

The idea is to furtively stick them on the backs of whiney PC pansies' shirts.

gigantes
12-29-2015, 08:27 AM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/a1/3d/ae/a13dae555e17b717dafe365c4c6bc876.jpg

Brunch@Five
12-29-2015, 01:31 PM

Also, unless the stickers are edible and low in cals, I'm not sure how this fits in with the topic at hand.

I don't own one yet, but I'm pretty sure I would get the spelling right if I ever bought a Porsche.

DonD13
12-29-2015, 01:42 PM
http://s7.postimg.org/92ntpuol7/Boycott_PCofficialsticker.jpg

It's a message about free speech, and free thought.

The idea isn't that anyone's trying to purposely insult anyone, although sometimes that happens and people have the right to do it. The idea is about having an open dialogue where every person can throw their idea in the hat, or explain their idea without having to be bogged down in linguistic tapdancing to avoid being chastised. It's about accepting that we've all got different views, and we don't need to coerce a common perspective from every person.

It's about purposeful, meaningful progress, rather than simply change for the sake of change.

It's about you.

It's about me.

And it's about time.

noice job

too bad all your right-wing internet friends are unemployed keyboard warriors

Akrazotile
12-29-2015, 03:08 PM
I don't own one yet, but I'm pretty sure I would get the spelling right if I ever bought a Porsche.

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/kevin-garnett-reaction.gif

oarabbus
12-29-2015, 03:22 PM

I know you run but do some leg workouts bro
I used to run track and cross country, it def keeps you fit. But squatting and deadlifting helps tremendously with leaning out and slimming down. Helped me lose a lot of fat.