PDA

View Full Version : Hornets appear to be making changes

dhsilv
12-29-2015, 12:20 AM
Noticed this job posting by the hornets. After being a franchise that was rather weak or against analytic, it looks like they're at least somewhat in on them today. Will be interesting if the lakers ever start hiring.

Basketball Operations Quantitative Analyst / Systems Developer - Charlotte Hornets (Charlotte, NC)

Position overview

The Charlotte Hornets are looking to hire Analysts and/or Software Developers to build and improve on existing technological solutions for the front office and coaching staff. The primary focus will be on creating mobile and web-based software solutions for use in player evaluation, salary cap analysis, and game strategy. As a part of the Basketball Operations Department, developers will work with the Analytics team in support of the General Manager, coaching staff, and scouting department. Experience in the sports industry is not required, but applicants must be passionate about basketball.

ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES

Develop tools that streamline the decision-making process for the front office and coaching staff
Advanced statistical modelling and analysis
Improve existing technological solutions and practices
Manipulate and analyze large data sets
Assist in database maintenance and data cleansing
Support basketball operations in day-to-day tasks

REQUIRED SKILLS, EXPERIENCE, AND ABILITIES

(To perform the job successfully, the candidate should demonstrate the following competencies to perform the essential functions of this job.)

Strong programming background
Database proficiency (SQL)
Experience working with large datasets
Familiarity with advanced statistical techniques
Significant experience with statistical software packages
Data visualization experience is a plus
Experience with algorithmic efficiency is a plus

Education

Bachelor

razzredazzre
12-29-2015, 04:04 AM
[QUOTE=dhsilv]Noticed this job posting by the hornets. After being a franchise that was rather weak or against analytic, it looks like they're at least somewhat in on them today. Will be interesting if the lakers ever start hiring.

Basketball Operations Quantitative Analyst / Systems Developer - Charlotte Hornets (Charlotte, NC)

Position overview

The Charlotte Hornets are looking to hire Analysts and/or Software Developers to build and improve on existing technological solutions for the front office and coaching staff. The primary focus will be on creating mobile and web-based software solutions for use in player evaluation, salary cap analysis, and game strategy. As a part of the Basketball Operations Department, developers will work with the Analytics team in support of the General Manager, coaching staff, and scouting department. Experience in the sports industry is not required, but applicants must be passionate about basketball.

Develop tools that streamline the decision-making process for the front office and coaching staff

(To perform the job successfully, the candidate should demonstrate the following competencies to perform the essential functions of this job.)

Education

Bachelor

90sgoat
12-29-2015, 06:30 AM
I'll save the Hornets the $200,000 or so a stat nerd costs:

Fire Jefferson, aquire stretch 4 and shooters, run 90% of plays through high pick and roll to drive/kick corner 3 shooter, spam until losing/winning by +- 0,5% on 3s.

That's the game today, that's all it is.

masonanddixon
12-29-2015, 08:04 AM
I'll save the Hornets the $200,000 or so a stat nerd costs:

Fire Jefferson, aquire stretch 4 and shooters, run 90% of plays through high pick and roll to drive/kick corner 3 shooter, spam until losing/winning by +- 0,5% on 3s.

That's the game today, that's all it is.

How do you fire a player?

dhsilv
12-29-2015, 09:08 AM
Obviously none of these bums lurking in ISH is qualified for a such job opportunity. Stupid thread.

Well a given, but it's interesting to see the types of people that teams are looking to hire who the public won't get to know.

The job is actually pretty low level in talent relative to what one would generally see for such a title in say banking. Or at least their ask is, who they hire may not be given I'd think the nba is a pretty cool place to work for a lot of people.

dhsilv
12-29-2015, 09:08 AM
How do you fire a player?

I guess knowing things like that are why the stats nerds get paid the big bucks.

Akrazotile
12-29-2015, 09:18 AM
[QUOTE=dhsilv]Noticed this job posting by the hornets. After being a franchise that was rather weak or against analytic, it looks like they're at least somewhat in on them today. Will be interesting if the lakers ever start hiring.

Position overview

[B]Education

Bachelor

HylianNightmare
12-29-2015, 09:56 AM
Very cool

dhsilv
12-29-2015, 10:11 AM
:roll:
Have you tried to hire quants? Or developers? The degree is optional almost always.

Jasper
12-29-2015, 02:59 PM
I have an interview with someone from the organization, he did not show up in the management department , so maybe its a supervisor :confusedshrug:

His name is Mike Jordan.
Anyone know who he is ??

SwishSquared
12-29-2015, 03:04 PM
:roll:Why is the education part funny?

Thanks OP for the cool post! I didn't realize the Hornets were stepping into this direction. :cheers:

Akrazotile
12-29-2015, 03:12 PM
Why is the education part funny?

Thanks OP for the cool post! I didn't realize the Hornets were stepping into this direction. :cheers:

A bachelors from any random 'technical field' somehow matters when doing basketball analytics?

Any bozo can show up to class and do homework to get a bachelors degree, and even further degrees.

It says absolutely nothing regarding talent.

Yet this is what the Hornets are concerned with. Why a Bachelors, instead of an Associates, or a Masters, or a Doctorate? "Meh, that's what most other jobs are asking for. I guess that's standard. We'll ask for that, too."

The sheep show is just silly, that's all.

oarabbus
12-29-2015, 03:28 PM
Obviously none of these bums lurking in ISH is qualified for a such job opportunity. Stupid thread.

SQL, database administration/management, statistical analysis, and large dataset manipulation are not extremely rare skills. I'm familiar with all those and I'm sure there are several other ISHers who are skilled in it.

SwishSquared
12-29-2015, 03:35 PM
A bachelors from any random 'technical field' somehow matters when doing basketball analytics?

Any bozo can show up to class and do homework to get a bachelors degree, and even further degrees.

It says absolutely nothing regarding talent.

Yet this is what the Hornets are concerned with. Why a Bachelors, instead of an Associates, or a Masters, or a Doctorate? "Meh, that's what most other jobs are asking for. I guess that's standard. We'll ask for that, too."

The sheep show is just silly, that's all.Technical degrees utilize similar problem solving methodology that is used in the statistical analysis for analytics. It's a qualifier that shows you can think logically and make data-driven decisions.

I'm not disagreeing with you- I doubt they autoreject somebody if they lack such a degree but possess the required experience and skillsets. This requirement may cast a smaller net and those who don't have a BS in such a field now may not apply, but that's probably to make it easier on HR. Sure, they may miss out on some great talent, but I'd think if somebody wants to the job bad enough that they would reflect that in a cover letter or something.

ISHGoat
12-29-2015, 03:52 PM
Have you tried to hire quants? Or developers? The degree is optional almost always.

Quant != developer

Developer = any random technical degree

Quant = math PhD. I work with them.

Positions like these always give very shitty pay. There is a huge supply of people willing to do that type of work for an NBA team.