PDA

View Full Version : Hindsight draft: Jordan or Wilt?

sd3035
12-30-2015, 03:32 PM
Imagine you could use hindsight, knowing how each turned out, but you have the ability to take either of these guys as a 20 year old to build your team around. You can attempt to mould them into the player you desire.

Who would you chose?

Dr Hawk
12-30-2015, 03:36 PM
Hmm not easy because I think Chamberlain with the proper team and coach could have become the GOAT, but as I'm not certain of that, I won't take risks and I'll go with Jordan

feyki
12-30-2015, 03:44 PM
Wilt .

Wade's Rings
12-30-2015, 03:45 PM
Jordan.

SouBeachTalents
12-30-2015, 03:57 PM
Jordan's career Finals ppg average nearly doubles Wilt's

TheMarkMadsen
12-30-2015, 04:04 PM
If I want championships then I'm picking Jordan. If I want fun mountain lion stories, give me Wilt all day.

outbreak
12-30-2015, 04:16 PM
If I already have a semi decent team I'd take Jordan
If I have zero players or a bunch of scrubs I'd take Wilt and hire a damn good coach

feyki
12-30-2015, 04:48 PM
If I already have a semi decent team I'd take Jordan
If I have zero players or a bunch of scrubs I'd take Wilt and hire a damn good coach

This .

3ball
12-30-2015, 05:06 PM
The greatest wing players of all-time can win WITHOUT a dominant big man - MJ, Bird, Magic (Kareem wasn't dominant for the last couple rings).

Otoh, centers usually need a great guard to win - Kareem needed the greatest two PG's of all time to win any rings... Shaq needed a Jordan clone to win in both LA and Miami.

Hakeem's Rockets only won when the ACTUAL Jordan retired, and were in the shitter in 1995 until Drexler put them over the top in the playoffs.

Let's face it - big men need the perfect situation MORE than great wings like Bird, Magic, and MJ, who control the team and dictate the direction of the team.

The big man must wait for Magic, Bird, or MJ or Oscar to throw them the ball - so it's the great wing player that truly controls the team.

I would easily draft a great wing like MJ, Bird or Magic, since they can win without a big man, and then see if I can get lucky and still get the big man too..

Wade's Rings
12-30-2015, 05:15 PM
The greatest wing players of all-time can win WITHOUT a dominant big man - MJ, Bird, Magic (Kareem wasn't dominant for the last couple rings).

Otoh, centers usually need a great guard to win - Kareem needed the greatest two PG's of all time to win any rings... Shaq needed a Jordan clone to win in both LA and Miami.

Hakeem's Rockets only won when the ACTUAL Jordan retired, and were in the shitter in 1995 until Drexler put them over the top in the playoffs.

Let's face it - big men need the perfect situation MORE than great wings like Bird, Magic, and MJ, who control the team and dictate the direction of the team.

The big man must wait for Magic, Bird, or MJ or Oscar to throw them the ball - so it's the great wing player that truly controls the team.

I would easily draft a great wing like MJ, Bird or Magic, since they can win without a big man, and then see if I can get lucky and still get the big man too..

Wade & Bron have won without a dominant big men.

3ball
12-30-2015, 05:22 PM
Meh.. Perhaps they belong - but they only strengthen my point.. Wade certainly dominated at a goat-level and his ring was "organic", if you will.

However, I didn't include Lebron because of his overt team-hopping/cheating.. Plus he won in a shortened season that was a short sprint, rather than a long marathon...

It's easier to get up for a short sprint than a long marathon.

Then in 2013, rayray that saved the day in a highly flukey scenario - these are all asterisks for me..

But I still cede your point.. However, I just figured that by including only Bird, Magic and MJ, I could avoid the asterisks rings and therefore avoid being results-oriented without context.

LAZERUSS
12-30-2015, 05:23 PM

Rick Barry as well.

sd3035
12-30-2015, 05:23 PM

little Curry won without a superstar teammate at any position

3ball
12-30-2015, 05:27 PM
Rick Barry as well.
true..

but the problem with including guys like Barry and Wade is that they weren't a transcendent wings with the type of sustained dominance that could really compare to Kareem, Shaq, Wilt.

Otoh, Jordan, Bird and Magic had sustained dominance over long periods, the likes of which compares with dominant bigs like Wilt, Kareem, Shaq.

But sure, Barry did it too - it's just that I'd still take a lot of dominant bigs over him.

LAZERUSS
12-30-2015, 05:28 PM
true..

but the problem with including guys like Barry and Wade is that they weren't a transcendent wings with the type of sustained dominance that could really compare to Kareem, Shaq, Wilt.

Otoh, Jordan, Bird and Magic had sustained dominance over long periods, the likes of which compares with dominant bigs like Wilt, Kareem, Shaq.

But sure, Barry did it too - it's just that I'd still take a lot of dominant bigs over him.

Not arguing.

And I wouldn't have a problem with either MJ or Wilt.

Couldn't go wrong with either one.

Nash
12-30-2015, 05:37 PM
Meh.. Perhaps they belong - but they only strengthen my point.. Wade certainly dominated at a goat-level and his ring was "organic", if you will.

However, I didn't include Lebron because of his overt team-hopping/cheating.. Plus he won in a shortened season that was a short sprint, rather than a long marathon...

Then in 2013, rayray that saved the day in a highly flukey scenario - these are all asterisks for me..

But I still cede your point.. However, I just figured that by including only Bird, Magic and MJ, I could avoid the asterisks rings and therefore avoid being results-oriented without context.
Literally has nothing to do with your initial point about dominant big men what so ever.

Hey Yo
12-30-2015, 05:50 PM

Yet I guarantee if Chicago won in 1995, with Jordan sneaking in the back door with 17 games left, you'd be preaching......"7-7.....7-7.....7-7"

LOL @ hopping and cheating.

dumb