PDA

View Full Version : Most transcendent player (MTP)

Marchesk
01-02-2016, 10:01 AM
This would be the player you would be most confident in still be considered an all-time great being drafted to any team in any era (assume they have similar basketball exposure growing up and in college, if they attended).

IOW, it wouldn't matter who their teammates were, who the coach was, how shitty the organization was, or whether the league had a lot of media exposure. It also wouldn't matter if there was a 3pt line, whether you could hand check, or how fast/slow the pace was.

robby712
01-02-2016, 10:23 AM
This would be the player you would be most confident in still be considered an all-time great being drafted to any team in any era (assume they have similar basketball exposure growing up and in college, if they attended).

IOW, it wouldn't matter who their teammates were, who the coach was, how shitty the organization was, or whether the league had a lot of media exposure. It also wouldn't matter if there was a 3pt line, whether you could hand check, or how fast/slow the pace was.

Guys that played both ways on the court and/or changed the game:

Kareem, Big O, Dr J, Magic, Bird, Jordan, Malone, Barkley, Olajuwon, Robinson, Shaq, Kobe, KG, Nowitzki, Lebron, Wade, Durant.

Dr Hawk
01-02-2016, 10:35 AM
Basically all the all-time greats, but I would pick Jordan first.

On the other hand, the most hurt player would be Russell

Kawhi
01-02-2016, 10:42 AM
Jordan.

What did I win?

Marchesk
01-02-2016, 11:57 AM

Kareem, Big O, Dr J, Magic, Bird, Jordan, Malone, Barkley, Olajuwon, Robinson, Shaq, Kobe, KG, Nowitzki, Lebron, Wade, Durant.

But no mention of Wilt, huh? I'm not sure why some of those names are in a list of changing the game or playing both ways on the court, which I assume you mean defense. Guys like Barkley, Nowitzki and Durant aren't known as exceptional defenders, or having changed the game.

kennethgriffin
01-02-2016, 12:03 PM
kobe
bird
jordan
hakeem
kareem
garnett
stockton
etc..

lebrons too flawed fundamentally to survive in the 50's,60's,70's and too p*ssy to play in the 80's,90's

shaq,wilt are too 1 dimensional and wouldnt fit in todays game due to rule changes, strategies

ZMonkey11
01-02-2016, 12:22 PM
kobe
bird
jordan
hakeem
kareem
garnett
stockton
etc..

lebrons too flawed fundamentally to survive in the 50's,60's,70's and too p*ssy to play in the 80's,90's

shaq,wilt are too 1 dimensional and wouldnt fit in todays game due to rule changes, strategies

What? That one dimension dominant?

HOoopCityJones
01-02-2016, 12:30 PM
The Top 10

Spurs5Rings2014
01-02-2016, 12:37 PM
GOATcan.

feyki
01-02-2016, 12:45 PM
1970's ballers

RRR3
01-02-2016, 12:51 PM
No mention of Chalmers? :biggums:

Orlando Magic
01-02-2016, 01:08 PM
The answer to this thread is Jordan and it's not even close.
Duncan is another guy that jumps into my head immediately, however.

T_L_P
01-02-2016, 01:23 PM

What does this mean? Also, where is Duncan if you're going to name off Malone/Barkley/Garnett/Dirk/Wade/Durant et al?

jlip
01-02-2016, 01:35 PM
Kareem

Fudge
01-02-2016, 01:38 PM
Kevin Durant, easily.

LoneyROY7
01-02-2016, 01:40 PM
OP fishing so hard for Wilt mentions, but nothing. :oldlol:

sdot_thadon
01-02-2016, 01:41 PM
I used to think that either Mj or LeBron is always the answer to a question like this first glance. Fast, athletic, big in lebron's case and in both cases able to do things wings in older eras couldn't dream of. BUT, in old eras they'd be called for constant ball handling violations because the game was called differently. So perhaps a modern big man is the answer I go with. Likely shaq. His style wouldn't be called any worse going back eras.

Jameerthefear
01-02-2016, 01:44 PM
OP fishing so hard for Wilt mentions, but nothing. :oldlol:
this. :oldlol:
literally cringing at OP. kristaps porzingis is more memorable than wilt

robby712
01-02-2016, 05:32 PM
But no mention of Wilt, huh? I'm not sure why some of those names are in a list of changing the game or playing both ways on the court, which I assume you mean defense. Guys like Barkley, Nowitzki and Durant aren't known as exceptional defenders, or having changed the game.

I don't know what to say about Wilt,Russell and anyone that played in the 50's-60's except for Big O, because he was the first big PG. He was glimpse of what Magic would later be. Barkley was a 6'6'' PF who could out rebound a C and go coast to coast on fast breaks. Nowitzki is the first stretch 4. Durant is a 6'9'' SF with handles and deep range. First of his kind. Maybe I wasn't clear on what changing the game means for me, but I made my point now.

Also, I forgot Duncan. He's on that list for sure.

Kobe_6/8
01-02-2016, 07:46 PM
Shaq
Magic
LeBron
Jordan
Kareem
Bird

Stout
01-02-2016, 07:53 PM
kobe
bird
jordan
hakeem
kareem
garnett
stockton
etc..

What? Drummond is doing quite well, and he doesn't have the size, athleticism, or the skill Shaq had.