JohnFreeman
01-03-2016, 12:11 AM
So was New Orleans.

Dallas isn't a good team.
Pelicans didn't play a back to back?

masonanddixon
01-03-2016, 12:20 AM
Pelicans didn't play a back to back?

You're right. I could have sworn they played the Clippers yesterday.

Either way, Dallas sucks.

oarabbus
01-03-2016, 12:30 AM
Doesn't really say much about either team upsets like this happen many times a season

WayOfWade
01-03-2016, 12:43 AM
Doesn't really say much about either team upsets like this happen many times a season
Very well put post

DMAVS41
01-03-2016, 01:31 PM
Bad loss for Mavs, but somewhat expected...things always normalize

Without Deron, we are a worse team and there was no way Barea could keep up his tremendous play. He's not good enough to be starting pg in this league and that is obvious.

Dirk has been in a terrible shooting slump and it's really hurting us. He's mostly taken good shots, but the last 2 games he's forced up some bad ones...and those hurt even more than normal misses.

Parsons...he just has to play so much better. Not sure what the situation with him is, but he can't have back to back games out there like that. He needs to be our most consistent player. And he should be...he's a total after thought for every defense and he's got Dirk and Wes out there to space the floor and work off of...and Zaza as well most of the time. He's simply got to play much much much better.

As guess the good news is that he's not opting out if he keeps up this poor level.

Rick really seems incapable of understanding that down 3 with only a 5 second differential is not a good time to try and get a stop. You should be fouling there with 29 seconds left. Extend the game.

Other than Gordon and Anderson...they don't have any elite ft shooters. Just let Holiday catch it and foul him...extend the game and see what happens.

Just bad coaching there. Even if you get a stop, you are still only 15% probably to make a 3 under 5 seconds...and then you are 50% to win in OT.

Not sure what percentage you are to get a stop, but I doubt it's over 65%.

Winning a 65% chance, 15% chance, and then a 50% chance is just not going to be a high enough win outcome vs fouling and extending the game in which players, even elite ft shooters, miss ft's all the time. And that is without accounting for a potential buzzer beater by the Pelicans at roughly 5% if we make a 3 with over 1 second left.

Rick needs to learn this math at some point...because it actually matters.

pastis
01-03-2016, 02:02 PM
dirk sucks the last 5 or so games. he cant hit an open jumper right now. and yes, he forces some bad shots the last 2 games, but i think it also has to do with the fact, that, besides dirk, nobody wants to have the hot potatoe in his hands. you could see it at least last night against the pelicans.

feyki
01-03-2016, 02:17 PM
Classic Carlisle . Super first month and shit performances at rest of season .

pastis
01-03-2016, 02:22 PM
Classic Carlisle . Super first month and shit performances at rest of season .

carlisle is an overrated coach. he destroyed our future with rodrigue beaubois. dominique jones was not that bad, but carlise never trusted him, never gave him the time to develop.

TommyGriffin
01-03-2016, 02:24 PM
New Orleans looking good lately! Anthony Davis and Ryan Anderson are underrated.

feyki
01-03-2016, 02:31 PM
carlise is an overrated coach. he destroyed our future with rodrigue beaubois. dominique jones was not that bad, but carlise never trusted him, never gave him the time to develop.

Carlisle probably one of the greatest coaches on the floor . But , He just think NOW . Like u said , Rodrigue was good guard , Jones was great finisher at the rim .

This year could great for drafting . But Carlisle just think now . Mavs like 2000's Knicks after Dirk's prime . That's so sad for a NBA Organization .

pastis
01-03-2016, 02:33 PM
Carlisle probably one of the greatest coaches on the floor . But , He just think NOW . Like u said , Rodrigue was good guard , Jones was great finisher at the rim .

This year could great for drafting . But Carlisle just think now . Mavs like 2000's Knicks after Dirk's prime . That's so sad for a NBA Organization .

Well, i think this is due to dirk. dirk wants to play playoffs his last 2 years. so he made all his sacrifices and refused money just to overpay chandler parson and matthews.
do you mean it would have been better to tank? horrible years after years like LA or 76ers etc? And a good pick doesnt mean a good player, good team atmoshphere etc. Nah!

feyki
01-03-2016, 02:42 PM
Well, i think this is due to dirk. dirk wants to play playoffs his last 2 years. so he made all his sacrifices and refused money just to overpay chandler parson and matthews.
do you mean it would have been better to tank? horrible years after years like LA or 76ers etc? And a good pick doesnt mean a good player, good team atmoshphere etc. Nah!

I think we could like 97 Spurs in this year . Dirk and Robinson make contend their team to the top .And They were tanking , pick the Duncan . They got two champs and they picks Parker and Gino . And They got two more . That is Spurs organization margin from us .

pastis
01-03-2016, 02:47 PM
I think we could like 97 Spurs in this year . Dirk and Robinson make contend their team to the top .And They were tanking , pick the Duncan . They got two champs and they picks Parker and Gino . And They got two more . That is Spurs organization margin from us .

the risk is just so high. if you wanna ride the tank, you dont attract any upper mediocre player. so basically matthews and parsons and d-will signed - besides being overpaid, lol - because they wanna compete for the playoffs.
and look at the other teams that tanked for years now. which tanking team of the last years is pretty solid? the risk with tanking is just so high. you have to count at least 3 years for 3 good picks to rebuild - and again: even then no guarantee that all works together

and you dont pick so easy a duncan-talent ;-). duncan talent comes maybe every 20 years. and regarding the other spurs picks: super good scouting, coaching team and front court. the mavs have nothing of these. lol.

StephHamann
01-03-2016, 02:51 PM

What? Mavs should just go for it. This team can play really good, make the playoffs and see what happens.

Other than Spurs and Warriors i feel like this squad could compete with everybody in a 7 game series in the west.

pastis
01-03-2016, 02:54 PM
What? Mavs should just go for it. This team can play really good, make the playoffs and see what happens.

Other than Spurs and Warriors i feel like this squad could compete with everybody in a 7 game series in the west.

if we make the playoffs, we absolutly have to go for the 5th place and play clipppers in a 7 game series. we will get swept againt okc, SA, GSW

DMAVS41
01-03-2016, 03:46 PM

the problem, one of many with Cuban/Nellie, was that this year was always going to be a year in which we couldn't contend....regardless of DJ or not.

In fact, Deron/Zaza is just way better than DJ alone....and we still barely have a positive differential with Dirk/Zaza/Deron all exceeding expectations so far quite considerably.

We just have mishandled everything since 11...some moves made sense...others didn't...but at least some of it was defensible.

The Parsons signing, which led to the Rondo trade....decimated our team for no reason.

And, the truth is, outside of a couple good moves around 10/11....Cuban/Nellie would have a hard time putting less around Dirk since 2004.

pastis
01-04-2016, 06:42 AM
the problem, one of many with Cuban/Nellie, was that this year was always going to be a year in which we couldn't contend....regardless of DJ or not.

In fact, Deron/Zaza is just way better than DJ alone....and we still barely have a positive differential with Dirk/Zaza/Deron all exceeding expectations so far quite considerably.

We just have mishandled everything since 11...some moves made sense...others didn't...but at least some of it was defensible.

The Parsons signing, which led to the Rondo trade....decimated our team for no reason.

And, the truth is, outside of a couple good moves around 10/11....Cuban/Nellie would have a hard time putting less around Dirk since 2004.

yes. for being a contender you need a perfect fitted team with at least 2 AS/All-NBA players, look at OKC/SPurs/GSW/Cavs/Toronto/Clipps

but i still think its better to fight your way into the playoffs and living the playoff feeling -even with a sweep - than going in the full tank mode. the risk is so high and as i pointed out: you have to calculate at least 3 years

masonanddixon
01-04-2016, 07:27 AM
carlisle is an overrated coach. he destroyed our future with rodrigue beaubois. dominique jones was not that bad, but carlise never trusted him, never gave him the time to develop.

Come on man, Rick is a top 2 coach. He's a beast.

masonanddixon
01-04-2016, 07:27 AM

No way. Dallas is the easiest out in the postseason.

pastis
01-04-2016, 07:34 AM
Come on man, Rick is a top 2 coach. He's a beast.

well, he has his advantages and his disadvantages - like every coach.
i think he clrearly made mistakes regarding e.g. beaubois, Dominique Jones, Brandon Bass or Crowder.

In fact this team is just Dirk Nowitzki.

masonanddixon
01-04-2016, 07:38 AM
i think he clrearly made mistakes regarding e.g. beaubois, Dominique Jones, Brandon Bass or Crowder.

Beaubois looked to be the next Wade until his fractured his fibula. Jones sucked. Bass and Crowder are role players.

I do think Rick mismanged that Denver series but other than that he's outcoached everyone.

DMAVS41
01-04-2016, 03:01 PM
yes. for being a contender you need a perfect fitted team with at least 2 AS/All-NBA players, look at OKC/SPurs/GSW/Cavs/Toronto/Clipps

but i still think its better to fight your way into the playoffs and living the playoff feeling -even with a sweep - than going in the full tank mode. the risk is so high and as i pointed out: you have to calculate at least 3 years

yea, you know my thoughts going back to the summer of Parsons.

I did not want to tank...it just made the most sense for the franchise. I know with Dirk it's special circumstances...and perhaps this will make Dirk play a little longer.

But, once again, Cuban/Nellie have set up a team for just 1 year...and once again it will be all about free agency this summer. We probably get Zaza without a huge overpay, but he's playing great so you never know. Deron will demand something...and not sure that is a good investment given his chronic health issues.

It's just always been "a year away"...and while that made sense in 11 to do what we did....there were still bad moves. The team would put out there in 13 was a ****ing joke.

And it actually never made sense to build the team we did after the 14 playoff series with the Spurs.

That team had the makings of a special group with the right moves/additions. Like the Tyson trade...that was a great trade. But we don't follow up on that stuff. We make one great move...and follow it up with chasing a "hopeful star" in Parsons that doesn't fit on a team around Dirk/Ellis...when we badly need a pg and defensive wing....and IT/Ariza are just sitting out there to be had a great numbers.

Then, because we didn't address the pg situation...we realize we can't win it without better pg defense/play...so we make the terrible Rondo trade...which is actually defensible because of the situation we put ourselves in with no chance to contend with our current pg play and this was always about winning titles.

But you can't be all about winning titles in one instance....and then in another be all about the future...or all about just trying to make the playoffs...etc.

It's that lack of consistent vision/plan that has hurt this franchise so much...really dating all the way back to the summer of 2004.

But, doesn't really matter now...we lucked into Dirk and he's been one of the best franchise players in NBA history...and continues to be one.

I hope he stays for the full 20...and maybe we actually build something of note around him his last 2 years.

DMAVS41
01-04-2016, 03:02 PM

Stevens getting this much out of Crowder is not a good look for Rick at all.

Crowder looked like a borderline NBA player for most of his time in Dallas.